What is average signing bonus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPelicans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interviewed for a job I liked in the area I want to live but they offered only a $5K signing bonus. My friends are talking about getting signing bonuses for like $20-40K. Do some places simply not really offer signing bonuses or am I being taken for a ride.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
A good group in a good location means that you might not have much leverage on your side. I did not get a signing bonus, but I did also approach a group that wasn't really hiring and thus I needed them more than they needed me. Other friends got better sign on perks but are taking jobs that I wouldn't want, so... goes both ways.

Reactions: 1 user
A good job doesn't need to offer a sign on bonus unless the location is conventionally undesirable (even if the job is otherwise good).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bonus.jpg

For those of us who entered the job market when it was in the toilet.

I got a 10k moving stipend for a practice in a desirable East Coast metro area.

Interviewed for a job I liked in the area I want to live but they offered only a $5K signing bonus. My friends are talking about getting signing bonuses for like $20-40K. Do some places simply not really offer signing bonuses or am I being taken for a ride.

Cannot assess the quality of a job by signing bonus for numerous reasons...Hard to quantify the quality of any job with one metric but for me it would be how much one is getting paid per wRVU. Solid on-site PP should be in the $60s/wRVU. PE practices like RP are more like $25-30/wRVU but you may get a $50-100K sign-on bonus which I am sure is contingent upon you staying onboard for several years

What state?