Residency program signals advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anakinmemer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand signals are new and no one has real answers to how they should be used, but I wanted some advice as I have a bit of a weird application.

The reason it is weird is because I go to a T10 school and my step 2 score is between 270-275, but that's pretty much it. I recently started radiology research and will receive a strong LOR from that person, but I have no publications at all (just 1 non rads poster at a school fair). I don't really have any other activities in med school either, just activities from undergrad which I was told can still go on ERAS. My concern is that I am not strong enough for top programs (mostly due to lack of publications) but will be overlooked by other programs who think I am using them as a safety, leaving me in a weird spot where I don't get interest from anyone. A similar situation arose with my med school app where I had really high stats but below average activities and thus was ignored by many schools both highly and lower ranked without even getting an interview.

How do you recommend I utilize my 6 gold and 6 silver signals?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have lots of options, with 270s you will need to convince programs you're not some socially incompetent weirdo (especially with no other activities). I don't know you and am not trying to say you are or aren't a good fit or whatever - just broadly it's kind of an eyebrow raiser when someone is so good at test taking but doesn't have much else on the app. Your med schoole experience points to the same but you ended up at a T10 so probably will work out for you again assuming you interview okay.

I would use your signals geographically where you want to end up, and try to have a compelling reason for those programs. Aim mostly for top to upper mid tier programs. Small places aren't going to believe you're interested in them with 270s. Try to have a good explanation as to why you don't have much research (1 project isnt the end of the world) but still want to do radiology.

Your best bet is leveraging your contacts at a T10 to pick up the phone and tell residencies that you're a hard worker and easy to get along with.