How bad are "average" radiology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoevolution

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts about how the reason why the match rate is so high is because of sweatshop programs that don't teach and have terrible hours, and the programs worth going to are still taking only the top students.

Would that be a reason to be wary of applying to the field if I'm unlikely to get into a top program? My stats are likely to be slightly above average overall: upper-mid tier med school, above average Step 1 and probably Step 2 but not excellent, average/good non-radiology research, likely average clinical grades (HP and maybe 1-2 H).

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a few posts about how the reason why the match rate is so high is because of sweatshop programs that don't teach and have terrible hours, and the programs worth going to are still taking only the top students.

Would that be a reason to be wary of applying to the field if I'm unlikely to get into a top program? My stats are likely to be slightly above average overall: upper-mid tier med school, above average Step 1 and probably Step 2 but not excellent, average/good non-radiology research, likely average clinical grades (HP and maybe 1-2 H).

Not much to say here other then the fact that if you like radiology. Do radiology. There are plenty of mid tier programs that treat their residents extremely well and they do fine as fellows and attendings. Heck there are some solid low tier radiology programs that treat their residents better than top tier programs and get them to where they want to be.

Nowadays there are fewer sweatshop programs. You’ll know one when you see it

Not much to say here other then the fact that if you like radiology. Do radiology. There are plenty of mid tier programs that treat their residents extremely well and they do fine as fellows and attendings. Heck there are some solid low tier radiology programs that treat their residents better than top tier programs and get them to where they want to be.

Nowadays there are fewer sweatshop programs. You’ll know one when you see it

Don't be so sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. If you want to do radiology, then do Radiology.

Choosing your career should be ONLY Between you and you. In other words, see what makes you happy and don't care about top program versus weak program. Obviously, if you can go to a top program go for it. But the concept of average or below average program should not change your decision about your specialty choice.