what if I don't like it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintBunni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've always loved animals, and that's the reason I'm applying to vet school in the first place, but now that the deadlines are coming and I feel like this is The Real Deal, I'm not so sure about vet school.

I really do have an interest in animals, but not in microbiology, virology, and all those medical things that are part of the curriculum in vet school. I'm pretty sure I could do it, it's just that I'm not interested in medicine much. If it weren't for the animals, I would not consider being a vet at all.
But recently I've been working at an animal clinic, and I like that ok. It's pretty cool work, and I think I'd enjoy being a vet.

so my problem is this - what if I don't like vet school?
Is this a normal problem? Should I be seriously concerned about my decision to apply? I mean, I do have interest in becoming a vet, but it's just that vet school curriculums only have 1 or 2 classes in them that I'm really, truly interested in.

For you guys that have been through it all, what do you suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO: Dis-liking vet school & dis-liking being a vet are two different things. It is OK if you don't like vet school, it's only 4 long years, but -- you need to be VERY sure you'll like being a vet. However, if medicine really isn't your calling .... something makes me think being a vet (doctor of veterinary MEDICINE) isn't going to be your thing either.

There are many other jobs that involve working with animals. Personally, if animals were the only reason I wanted to be a vet -- I'd take the 150K that school will cost and invest it in a quaint little doggie boutique/grooming/boarding shop walking distance from a beautiful beach.... or go to dental school, work part time, and have a dozen pets.

If you've really spent enough time working in private practice & really do enjoy the work, the critical thinking, the "medicine", etc.... then tough it out and make it through school.

Edit: Since this is the vet (not pre-vet) forum, I guess I should add that I haven't started vet school yet -- for what it's worth

Liking animals is not the only reason or an adequate reason to become a veterinarian. Like Auburnprevet mentioned there are a lot of other fields where you can work closely with animals. If you are going into veterinary medicine or any other medical field you should like science (anatomy, physiology, immunology, microbiology) because they will lay the foundation for all the medicine that you will be doing as a doctor. In the clinic the doctor goes in does a physical and all the fun stuff but there is a lot of critical thinking and diagnotics going on as well and if you don't have the basic science down this won't happen very effectively.

So my advice to you is to continue spending time in clinics, think about how much you like science, and investigate other fields.

If you go on any interview and tell them you like animals and that is why you are pursuing veterinary medicine you will get nailed.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to second what Auburn and Aza said... I think you should think long and hard before entering vet school; maybe another year in the clinic to decide if you would truly enjoy this career would do you good. Vets have a high rate of burnout; if you aren't completely in love with the idea when you start, imagine how you'll feel after the day-in/day-out of 10 years or so... Like the above posters said, there are several careers you could go into where you work closely with animals but aren't doing the medicine; I actually like the previously mentioned idea of using the 150-200k that you would've spent on tuition and instead investing in your own business or something, heh, if you've got good business sense you could make more money than you would being a vet! Either way, best of luck to you in making your decision.

Consider it this way also: you'll spend "four long years" in school, only to be the guy that those animals, whom you love so much, despise seeing. vets aren't always the animal's favorite person, and i hear that can be quite an adjustment for new vets (i haven't even started school yet).

there are plenty of other options for animal lovers: trainers, groomers, rescue organizations (albeit no money in that), farm managers, or even licensed technicians.

however, never hurts to apply. see what your gut tells you when you get the decision letters.

Here's my two cents on this topic. I'm entering my 2nd year on OSU, and I can honestly tell you that if you don't like micro, virology, anatomy, etc... (basically all the sciences behind veterinary medicine) you are going to have a really hard time in vet school and you won't probably like. This may sound harsh, but your first two (maybe three depending on where you go to school) will be spent in the classroom. Have you had a micro class or a virology class? Which two classes looked interesting to you?
If you aren't interested in the medical part of veterinary medicine, what are you interested in? Not matter what field you go into after vet school, you will need to use some aspect of medicine in one way or another. Like others said, if the only reason you want to go to vet school are the animals then that's not a good enough reason. Do you think you will be able to go thru anatomy and dissect an animal for the sake of learning?
I think you need to sit and think really hard if this is the right career choice for you because it is a HUGE money and time investment. Plus you don't have to take someone's seat who really does want to go to vet school just to see you would like it.
You might also want to check out the curriculum at different schools. For example, at OSU we have a system based learning (meaning that we have neuro, cardio, respiratory, etc...) but some other schools have a case-based learning.
I'm sorry if this is was a harsh reply, I just think you need to be REALLY sure you want to go to vet school before applying and investing money and time in it.

I agree with the above post. Veterinary medicine is science...period.

Another thing to keep in mind, as much as being a veterinarian is "being with animals", you need to have good people skills as well. I hate it when I hear "I want to be a vet because I love animals and I can't stand people", well sorry hunny but vet med is probably 75% people skills and 25% animal skills (particularly in a private practice setting). And as stated before, vet school interviewers hate it when you say you want to be a vet because you loved animals since you were 4 years old (e.g.).

Many colleges with animal science programs offer management and husbandry tracks if you truly despise science. Good luck.

V :cool:

Don't forget that there is a HUGE need for veterinarians in this country... and too few seats in too few veterinary colleges. If you get through and into vet school, and hate it- there is one fewer vet entering the profession... or staying in it. How selfish is that? Think of all the animals that don't get helped because you backed out. So I am the harshest poster, but the truth hurts.

If you aren't into medicine, don't come into this field. Become a trainer, a groomer, a breeder, a pet-shop owner, a broker, etc. Do something else. If you do love medicine, come be an animal doctor.

Vet School is torture. Plain and simple. Full of heartache and headache and muscle-aches.

Good luck!

So I've always loved animals, and that's the reason I'm applying to vet school in the first place, but now that the deadlines are coming and I feel like this is The Real Deal, I'm not so sure about vet school.?

Loving animals should not be the reason why someone applies to vet school. :scared:

If you were applying to human medical school would you be doing it because you love people???? Veterinary medicine is medicine and about ensuring that animal health and welfare are improved. We diminish the respect that this profession should have when we state "I want to do this because I LOVE animals." If you love animals, get a pet. Read the veterinarians oath. I don't think there is anything in there about loving animals.

BTW, "I love animals" is the LAST thing any adcom wants to see on an application. It just shows that the individual doesn't really know about the profession.

Hehe, I'll throw my opinion/ personal experience in here and you'll probably find it a bit different from posts above. I have been in OkState vet school for two years. I really don't like the field of vet med, my hope is that I'll never have to work at another vet clinic in my life except for what I have to do for school. So why in the world am I doing it? Because I too love animal, no that's not right, it's so much more than love. I'm obsessed with animals, they consume my very existance, I would have no reason to continue to exist if they were not in my life ... starting to get the idea?

So part of my going to vet school is to learn everything I can about them (Anatomy, Physiology), but I do hate having to learn the stuff that's not really about them (Pharmacology, Diagnostic Imaging, etc.) And I'm working my way to gaining the fullest certification in animal behavior that I can, and that can only be done after having obtained a DVM.

So yes, it is going to make it a lot harder to do if you don't at least enjoy the subject matter a little (as I've learned) but it is also very possible. What's more important is your dedication and ability to remember what you are doing this for. Vet school is hard, but there's enough good in it that it's still enjoyable at least at times.

Have you looked into other careers involving animals as well? There's training, grooming, boarding/ daycare (tons of fun if you haven't worked in this before), behavior consultation, photography and massage therapy can be successful in larger cities and of course tons of hobby activities to do with animals if you have a career in another field.