what do you like about your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemons24limes

Reaction score
Im going to start vet school next year and lately whenever I ask someone whose been working as a vet for a while about their job they tell me they dont like it or if they could do it again they would choose not to go to vet school. I kinda assume they dont like it as much anymore because not many people like work in general, but its been pretty discouraging. I was wondering if anyone can tell me some pros that they like about their job as a veterinarian?

Members don't see this ad.

Give this post a read through :)

Reactions: 1 users
This one too

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But don't be blind to the issues in this profession. You have to learn how to deal with bad things on a regular basis, and that wears people out to the point of giving that answer. Find the good to save your soul, but don't turn a blind eye is what I'm trying to say. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Going in to recheck my surgery patients the next day is always a bit of a rush. Even better when they weren't walking before surgery and are after. Actually, I just like surgery in general. And maybe it's weird but finding something on an MRI that correlates perfectly with my neurolocalization and the signs in the patient is cool too. That's really nerdy isn't it?

Reactions: 11 users
I work ER so lots of very sick cases and hard discussions. I find a lot of satisfaction in working through the diagnostic process. Figuring out the puzzle is so satisfying. Of course there are always the cases you aren’t allowed to work up or don’t get answers even with a work up. The quick saves are also a nice pick me up. Had a fun case last night came in for seizures per owner. Actual problem —stick across roof of the mouth—cured! Having a solid team both of support staff and colleagues is important. Being able to walk out at the end of my shift and trust that the cases I saw are in good hands is priceless. Allows me to let go of the case. I have learned that my job is to give people their options with my guidance —what path they take is their choice.

Reactions: 4 users
I enjoy the ability to fix things or improve a pet's QOL with my hands. There's nothing like the immediate gratification of having a postop fracture case walk out of the hospital the next day on that limb. Chronic ACL/lameness cases are satisfying when the dog is already using the limb better at 2 weeks postop compared to before surgery. I also really enjoy surgical oncology cases, even when they are palliative only - I find it very comforting to think that I was able to make the pet more comfortable for however much time they have remaining.

Reactions: 3 users
I love the moments when I take a pet who comes in FUBAR and we take a chance and do a Hail Mary and they miraculously do well. Huge morale boost for the whole team.

that being said... I wouldn’t dismiss concerns of practicing vets as “not many people liking work in general.” I know way too many colleagues who are either suicidal due to the job or are trying their damndest to claw out of practice but can’t and feel trapped. The level or regret a lot of people feel about having invested so much of their lives and themselves and their finances is not comparable to garden variety “work is called work for a reason” level of discontent with any old job.

Reactions: 7 users
I love that I am able to work PT. If I were FT I think I'd be completely burned out.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there opportunity to work PT only in GP as a veterinarian?
Absolutely. These jobs were a dime a dozen when I was looking for jobs

I don't actually see a lot of positions advertised as PT, but in my case, I had applied to a FT listing and they hired me as PT only. Most places are so desperate for vets right now that they will take what they can get!