What do you think of GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

june015b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am intersted in GI. Gastroenterologists have a great life style (much better than cardiologists) and great salaries. There are many emerging new high-tech techniques (EUS, laser banding, laser with ERCP, laser banding, etc). It looks like GI has become more competitive than cardiology at many places (probably related to the fact that card spots are increasing but GI spots remain the same). I'd like to share info with others. What do you think of the specialty in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that GI has a very bright future even with the "threat" of virtual colonoscopies taking away many of their screening visits. The reason for this is because I think that a lot more people will be getting screened which will mean that a lot more people will have polyps found on CT scan (I've heard that some ~25% have a polyp by age ~60), and these people will ultimately still need to see a GI doc. I suspect that if the number is close to 25%, insurance co won't ever reimburse for the CT scan because they don't want to have to pay for the CT scan + colonoscopy when they could just pay for the colonoscopy. Some of their new technologies will keep them in demand in terms of ER for thinks emergent management of GI bleeders and management of stones, and an increasing number of patients being dx with IBS keeps their clinics busy as well. They definitely are not training enough GI docs to keep up with the increasing demand IMO, but it's difficult to predict the future. Just 10 yrs ago, everyone thought that GI docs were in surplus and no one wanted to go into GI. Now, it seems like there are a ton of people interested in GI, making it very competetive (probably as, if not more competetive then cards IMO because there are so fewer number of spots and programs).

Several PD's that I talked to stated that GI is now the most competitive fellowship out of IM for exactly the reasons you stated -- lower stress, procedures, and nice compensation with limited spots. Like cards, with the aging population, demand is sure to be high for the near future.

Personally, I'm more into sticking things into people's vasculature than up their butts', but that's just me ;)

Something to consider, there is no "match" for GI and you apply for a spot 2 years away -- so, you would apply in the fall of your 2nd year. So, if you want to be all "high powered" you need to do research either before residency or during intern year or both.