What do you feed your dog or cat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read many conflicting reports about what are the best foods to feed our dogs and cats since the food recalls earlier this year. So I'm wondering: what do vets feed their pets?

I was going to create a poll, but I think there are too many choices and not enough poll options.

I was told by a trainer that Pro Plan is a good food for adult dogs, but online I've read rave reviews about Innova food, and also Life's Abundance. I've also seen this link and wonder if the claims are true.

As for cat food, my cats have been eating Nutro for years, but one likes the yogurt in the Purina One Hairball. I mix the Nutro in with Science Diet dry hairball food. But I wonder if I could be buying a better food.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my cats has IBD so he's on z/d dry plus Royal Canin duck canned. The rest are on Wellness adult - the kind with the salmon in it. It smells foul to me, but they LOVE it. When they get canned it's usually Innova.

Before my dogs went on prescription diets, I used Nutro Ultra and Pro Plan. I know lots of vets who feed Pro Plan. Now I use Hills prescription diets because they have the biggest variety and fit my dogs' needs well. I have also used Royal Canin IVD prescription, which I think are good too. I've also used Blue canned, but I got a funky can once and stopped getting it. All commercial dog foods meet AAFCO standards, but the brands you mentioned (except for Life's Abundance, which I am not familiar with) are all good brands in my opinion.

Some people say the best food is the one your dog or cat will eat, but some are better for them than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Life's Abundance can be seen here. Just click on dog or cat food at the left.

i've always been a big eukanuba fan...especially their veterinary diets. I've had mixed results with Hills prescription diets...so I think some of them are great (z/d) and others not so much (r/d doesn't work that well and w/d is total crap). i think for the most part, any of the bigger diets will work well for your pet - iams, eukanuba, pro plan, etc etc. Just don't get the cheap stuff...no friskies, no fancy feast, no "store brand", etc, and i'm sure your pet will get what it needs!

i've always been a big eukanuba fan...especially their veterinary diets. I've had mixed results with Hills prescription diets...so I think some of them are great (z/d) and others not so much (r/d doesn't work that well and w/d is total crap). i think for the most part, any of the bigger diets will work well for your pet - iams, eukanuba, pro plan, etc etc. Just don't get the cheap stuff...no friskies, no fancy feast, no "store brand", etc, and i'm sure your pet will get what it needs!

Hey I use R/D for my fat cat (not so fat now) and it is working well so I think it is relative to your cat, not that it doesn't work:).

I personally feed a raw diet (whole prey model when possible) along with some supplemental canned (Innova EVO 95% duck, rabbit, venison, etc and Solid Gold Green Tripe). However, I like the following brands (in no particular order):

-Canidae
-Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul
-Innova EVO
-California Natural
-The Honest Kitchen
-Timberwolf Organics
-Merrick
-some of the Solid Gold, Wellness, Natural Balance, Nature's Variety, and Nutro lines (but not all)

This is not all inclusive.

The brands that are either cheap crap or overpriced crap are as follows:

-ANYTHING and EVERYTHING at Wal-Mart (this includes anything and everything by Purina, Ol' Roy, Pedigree, IAMS, The Good Life, etc)
-Science Diet (way overpriced crap). I would not feed my dogs anything from any of the Science Diet lines. I don't even feed my foster dogs Science Diet and they give it to me for free. Let's pay top dollar for poisons and peanut shells, shall we?
-Eukanuba. I think there is *maybe* one type that I would even remotely consider, but it's still marginal at best and way overpriced.

Several have mentioned Life's Abundance. There are numerous fillers and allergens in it and especially for $60 for a 40 lbs bag is outrageous. I feed my dogs a very nice raw diet for $1.50/lbs.

I generally agree about Friskies and store brand foods, but anecdotally, my first family pet was a solid grey alley cat who ate Fancy Feast all her life because of a urinary problem. My parents were told to buy only Fancy Feast varieties with an ash content lower than 3, and that's what she ate for her 20 years of life. She was born in 1986, and she passed on in 2006. I'm sure she just had good genes and a good inside life, but I have wondered if the Fancy Feast helped a little bit along the way.

I worry about the Purina One that my one cat likes so much, because you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I first bought it at PetSmart, but have seen it at Walmart, and that worries me.

For those of you who have tried Innova Evo, I've heard that it can be too rich for some animals, causing diarrhea even when introduced very slowly. has anyone found this to be the case?

I really appreciate the information. :love:

Innova EVO is a rich diet since it's grain free (if I recall), especially for those who have been on more grain heavy diets before. You also need to feed hardly any of it because it's so "dense," if that makes sense.

One of my cats couldn't process EVO very well (diarrhea - this wasn't the cat with IBD), but the others adored it! So did the ants ...

interestingly we've had a few cats here with sensitive stomachs who have done better on Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach than they did on Hills Z/D. I wonder why it is so!

One of my cats couldn't process EVO very well (diarrhea - this wasn't the cat with IBD), but the others adored it! So did the ants ...

I bought a small bag to try for my cats a few months ago. One of them wouldn't eat it, but she's very picky, she never eats anything but Nutro and Science Diet Hairball. But my other kitty loved it, but anything more than a few kibbles at a time gave her the runs too. I donated the rest of the bag. It wasn't worth her being miserable, and constantly licking herself (she's a very longhaired cat and the diarrhea was messy). She's a good eater, though, she eats whatever I put in front of her.

I'm hoping to get a new dog soon, and wanted to make the best informed decision possible. Hoping to get a rescued dog, so I want to start off on the right foot.

electrophile, i really do disagree with you on your good food/bad food points. i know you're biased because "raw diet is obviously superior" but some of the diets you mentioned actually are good diets. i have seen plenty of cats/dogs with great coats in great health while on science diet and iams. i wouldn't worry about purina one because its sold at walmart...that as a marker of "good diet/bad diet" is a load of bollocks. i certainly wouldn't buy the wal-mart brand cat food, but just because a particular store decides to carry a brand does not make it a bad food.

incidently, have you had your diet checked by a nutritionist? we did a seminar recently on the raw/BARF feeding phenomenon, and if i remember correctly, upwards of 60% of the dogs had severe deficiencies while on these diets. Theoretically, they work, but you have to be very careful about what you feed....or it gets very messed up and the dog suffers in the long run. I spoke with a small animal nutritionist who told me that unless you're absolutely sure the client knows EXACTLY how to make a proper raw diet, they should always be advised against because so often the diet is made incorrectly (even if the owner has been following BARF guidelines or etc) and the dog ends up with deficiencies. To be honest, for my own dog, I'd be much more worried about a raw diet than IAMs.

the ash content that someone mentioned about fancy feast is cool...i hadn't known that...mostly the problem with fancy feast is that its fatty feast and owners feed too much, the cat gets hooked on it, so then when you have an obese cat you can't feed it diet food! pain in the butt, and working with different clients on this issue have made me loathe fancy feast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I use R/D for my fat cat (not so fat now) and it is working well so I think it is relative to your cat, not that it doesn't work:).

i've had much MUCH better results with the eukanuba veterinary diet restricted calorie with both dogs and cats...r/d does work for some animals (obviously, otherwise no sales would be made!) but i think there are other diets that do it better.

i know you're biased because "raw diet is obviously superior" but some of the diets you mentioned actually are good diets.

So I'm biased? Did it ever occur to you all that the Big Three (Purina, Hill's, and IAMS) are not as infallible as they would have you believe? The massive food recalls aside, (and I said this on the other thread in the pre-vet folder) but I did 4 years of nutritional studies with Purina and Harlan Teklad feeds on how rodent diets interact with endocrine disrupters during my undergrad research and during the research for my masters degree. Purina even admitted to my faculty adviser they had no idea where many of their ingredients were coming from, if they were contaminated with mercury and pesticides from the fish meal and wheat, corn, and soy, why feed even in the same lot was coming up with different phytoestrogen levels from bag to bag. When your diets are absolutely critical in maintaining nutritional levels for research results that dictate things like legislation on certain chemicals and the industry standard diet (Purina 5001 and 5008) can't even hope to say they are, that makes me not real confident in what goes into Fluffy's bowl every night.

we did a seminar recently on the raw/BARF feeding phenomenon, and if i remember correctly, upwards of 60% of the dogs had severe deficiencies while on these diets. Theoretically, they work, but you have to be very careful about what you feed....or it gets very messed up and the dog suffers in the long run.

So who paid for this seminar? Because I'm sure the pet food industry, which sponsors just about everything under the sun in the veterinary world, would give the raw diet a standing ovation. :rolleyes: I like the raw diet and it suits me (and many others in the working dog world), but I'm not one of the raw diet feeders that tell everyone to just automatically switch. It's not for everyone and it certainly takes a bit more work and research, which is why I don't have an issue suggesting commercial diets with decent ingredients. However, I do feel absolutely comfortable with it. They get a very wide range of meat sources (meat, eggs, bone, and organ meat). I think where you hear of rich old ladies feeding their froo froo dogs nothing but cooked salmon and white rice, yeah, you'll get nutritional deficiencies. Absolutely. I'd never recommend anyone do that for longer than say a food allergy elimination diet trial. That's why I consulted numerous sources both written, on the internet, and in person (and my own brain!) on how to model my raw diet.

Honestly, nutrition is not rocket science. Having some industry hack come in and tell you that feeding grain heavy food with fillers and harmful preservatives with some vitamins and minerals thrown in is more beneficial to what dogs and other canids have been designed to eat for thousands or millions of years should be insulting to our collective intelligence. Look in any book on food allergies and you'll always see that wheat, corn, soy, brewers yeast, etc are the big guns. And what is in Hill's, Purina, and IAMS? Potential allergens with corn, wheat, and soy, fillers like beet pulp, less nutritious grain fractions (i.e.-rice bran or brewers rice instead of the whole rice), unnamed meat sources, and by-products. Here's some of "the best of the best" of these lines and let the ingredients, not the free products, the free/cheap food, or the free sponsorship we all get, speak for themselves:

IAMS Healthy Naturals: Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flax Meal, Apple Pomace, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Choline Chloride, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract

Purina Pro Plan Natural Lamb & Rice:

Lamb, brewers rice, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn bran, oat meal, dried egg product, dried beet pulp, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Hill's Science Diet Nature's Best Chicken and Brown Rice:

Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, Vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Hill's Science Diet Adult Original:

Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Here's one from my "decent" list.

Canidae All Life Stages:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

No food is perfect for every dog and some will have special needs. However, just because they throw in some nice vitamins and minerals and maybe even some fish oil and glucosamine just for fun, does not make the base ingredients suck less. :laugh:

electrophile, i really do disagree with you on your good food/bad food points. i know you're biased because "raw diet is obviously superior" but some of the diets you mentioned actually are good diets. i have seen plenty of cats/dogs with great coats in great health while on science diet and iams. i wouldn't worry about purina one because its sold at walmart...that as a marker of "good diet/bad diet" is a load of bollocks. i certainly wouldn't buy the wal-mart brand cat food, but just because a particular store decides to carry a brand does not make it a bad food.

incidently, have you had your diet checked by a nutritionist? we did a seminar recently on the raw/BARF feeding phenomenon, and if i remember correctly, upwards of 60% of the dogs had severe deficiencies while on these diets. Theoretically, they work, but you have to be very careful about what you feed....or it gets very messed up and the dog suffers in the long run. I spoke with a small animal nutritionist who told me that unless you're absolutely sure the client knows EXACTLY how to make a proper raw diet, they should always be advised against because so often the diet is made incorrectly (even if the owner has been following BARF guidelines or etc) and the dog ends up with deficiencies. To be honest, for my own dog, I'd be much more worried about a raw diet than IAMs.

the ash content that someone mentioned about fancy feast is cool...i hadn't known that...mostly the problem with fancy feast is that its fatty feast and owners feed too much, the cat gets hooked on it, so then when you have an obese cat you can't feed it diet food! pain in the butt, and working with different clients on this issue have made me loathe fancy feast.

Yes, I have also heard from more than one NON-SPONSORED nutritionist that most people do not feed raw diets correctly. It is imperative that you deliver all of the proper nutrition when you feed a raw diet and most that do, don't do it properly and that is why I will probably never advocate for raw diets.

As for the foods that people keep complaining about in this and other threads - the big name brands like Hill's, Iams, and Purina. These are all great quality foods for all life stages and I would recommend any one of them to clients. Yes maybe it would be better if they didn't use by-products, certain grains etc. but they are making good foods with a lot of research at an affordable price for the majority of pet owners! I know that Electrophile has mentioned before that some other smaller companies make better food at the same price as Iams - but how much testing do they do on there food?

As a side note - the reason that there weren't as many pet food deaths is because of the extensive research Iams does on their food and their responsibility in alerting the public immediately (which sparked other food companies to investigate their good).

Again, I could get Natura products free through my school, but I choose to stick with Iams - so not all of us are only on these foods because they are free. And another things, these companies not only donate to vet school students to "buy" us, but they also donate thousands of pounds of food to shelter animals. I certainly will support a food company that does research like that and is trying to help the pet population in the community.

I generally agree about Friskies and store brand foods, but anecdotally, my first family pet was a solid grey alley cat who ate Fancy Feast all her life because of a urinary problem. My parents were told to buy only Fancy Feast varieties with an ash content lower than 3, and that's what she ate for her 20 years of life. She was born in 1986, and she passed on in 2006. I'm sure she just had good genes and a good inside life, but I have wondered if the Fancy Feast helped a little bit along the way.

I worry about the Purina One that my one cat likes so much, because you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I first bought it at PetSmart, but have seen it at Walmart, and that worries me.

For those of you who have tried Innova Evo, I've heard that it can be too rich for some animals, causing diarrhea even when introduced very slowly. has anyone found this to be the case?

I really appreciate the information. :love:

Do not worry about the fact that you can buy Purina foods at Walmart. It is a good, balanced food. There are some people on this board that feel that only natural foods are appropriate to feed and this is just not the case. Foods like Science Diet, Purina, and Iams are all great foods. They've been extensively tested to be palatable, contain all the proper nutrition, and to make sure that the animals can digest and absorb all the nutrients they need to from the food.

Many foods are entering grocery store lines, and that is fine - it actually just makes it more convenient for the majority of pet owners to maintain a good quality food. The only foods you should stay away from are those foods that the grocery stores make themselves (Ol'Roy, Dads etc.).

I'm glad someone else likes feeding their dogs more natural food! Murphy eats Honest Kitchen's food and LOVES it. (He also loves the veggies I add to it.) Before that we were feeding Blue Buffalo (which my cats are still on) since it's one of the better kibble diets.

I've also trained my mom to read the ingredient list, which rocks!

I also read the ingredients on the treats he gets. I have to be able to theoretically have been able to make them with things in my kitchen, so nothing creepy. They're also all free of animal products, so I've been known to test them out for him. :p My dad and I were curious one night. :laugh:

I think it's funny how you still don't read people's posts. I have talked to nutritionists and all of them certainly don't think that those foods are "garbage."

Do not worry about the fact that you can buy Purina foods at Walmart. It is a good, balanced food. There are some people on this board that feel that only natural foods are appropriate to feed and this is just not the case. Foods like Science Diet, Purina, and Iams are all great foods. They've been extensively tested to be palatable, contain all the proper nutrition, and to make sure that the animals can digest and absorb all the nutrients they need to from the food.

That's not exactly accurate. Have you done research on animals? It's incredibly costly. I think keeping dogs at our university costs something like $12 or $15 per dog per diem, if I recall (but I would need to check next time I'm in the lab). Doing life long studies to see how healthy the foods are is just not typically feasible. For maintenance diets, all they have to do is have some relatively small sample size of animals survive on it for 6 months. Is the animal alive after 6 months? Great! It passes the AAFCO requirements. Sell the food. Very scientific testing right there. :rolleyes:

Speaking of lifelong scientific testing, everyone remember that Purina commercial that came out saying that by keeping your dog on Purina Dog Chow, you could give your pooch an extra two healthy years? Wow, everyone thought, what a great food! Turns out that if you read the study, all they did was limit the amount of food the dogs got, keeping them leaner. There's a real shocker there: lean dogs live longer. :eek: But let's continue the brain washing complete with spin cycle on. :laugh:

Ya'll keep slamming me for having the wild and crazy notion that millions of years of evolution may "know" just a little more than 60 years worth of humans with dollar signs in their eyes about how to re-invent Mother Nature's own wheel. Well, keep hiding your heads in the proverbial sand. I for one will not be part of the laughing stock of vets that are clueless about reading a label. I STILL have yet to see anyone refute me that the ingredients that I bolded a few posts up are a good choice. And like I've said multiple times, I don't think that everyone needs to put their dog on a raw diet as it does take more planning and research than opening a bag of kibble. However, I do want you all to be more informed of what and who is putting out all these foods. What makes the grocery store brands repugnant to you makes the Purina and the Hill's repugnant to me. They pass the AAFCO tests, so what's wrong with Ol' Roy and Kibbles and Bits?

I'm part of several pet and working dog forums online and most people won't even talk to their vets about nutrition because the vets are in it so thick with the pet food industry. When you all say that grains and fillers are better than sensible meat choices and then hock it on the shelf with a big markup on the shelves right by the receptionist, you just loose all credibility with many folks. And people (thank GOD!) are finally starting to pay attention!

I think it's funny how you still don't read people's posts. I have talked to nutritionists and all of them certainly don't think that those foods are "garbage."

I have graduate training in both nutrition AND biology and I think they're crap. :D But heck, maybe I'll go be a board certified veterinary nutritionist. Would that would make me right then? :cool:

OMG how do you afford Honest Kitchen???? Man you must really love your dog :)

I think it's a very funny thing the amount of vet students on here who think they know more than people who have been vets for many years and specialize in nutrition.

And the ones I know would not ever recommend Iams or any of that garbage.

My point was that you stated that we were disagreeing with nutritionists and my statement was that all nutritionists don't have the exact same opinion as you and the nutritionists that you've talked to.

I'm done debating this topic, it is extremely frustrating as you seem to make the same argument over and over and people have offered information which you either ignore or twist in some weird way. You also seem to imply that just because people have different opinions than you they will not end up being good doctors or haven't their research, and I disagree. I hope you don't end up at Ohio next year, as dealing with you on the internet is tiresome enough.

I want to answer the original question as to what I feed my pets so the original poster gets a complete sampling.

I fed my dog Royal Canin for a year (I got it for free) and I never once had a complaint about it. My dog loved it, she was healthy and allergy-free, and the sensitive stomach she came with from the shelter (probably thanks to their Pedigree and even lower quality foods) resolved quickly on Royal Canin.

When I no longer received that for free, I asked a veterinarian who I highly respect what diets she recommended. She is extremely knowledgeable in nutrition and holistic health, and she is a huge advocate for high-protein, natural diets. I started feeding Innova dog food based on her recommendation, and I really, really liked this brand as well.

I switched to a Nutro diet sometime after using Innova (because Innova was *so* expensive), and I noticed that my dog did not seem as interested in the food, and also I swear her coat did not look and feel as good as it had.

Once I started school this year I began receiving Science Diet for free so I figured I would try her on it. Affording Innova on vet school salary (which is ZERO for me) was not a really exciting prospect. I have been extremely pleased with the Science Diet. My dog's coat is back to healthy and shiny, she loves the food, and she's trimmed up a little bit as well.

I certainly don't think you are robbing your pet of years of happy extra life because you feed them a high-quality dry food produced by a large company rather than a raw-based or raw-mimicking diet.

But stay away from anything that costs dramatically less than the others, like that $7 bag of "Old Yeller by Disney" dog food at Kroger....or Pedigree... yuck!

And anyways, we certainly didn't evolve to eat McDonald's, donuts or greasy pizza, but only about 0.02% of the population pays any regard to that! :D

I'm done debating this topic, it is extremely frustrating as you seem to make the same argument over and over and people have offered information which you either ignore or twist in some weird way. You also seem to imply that just because people have different opinions than you they will not end up being good doctors or haven't their research, and I disagree. I hope you don't end up at Ohio next year, as dealing with you on the internet is tiresome enough.

Reeeowww! :smuggrin: So did you or anyone else actually answer the question that I laid out numerous times? Are grains and filler in those other diets actually good for our pets? I think you are addressing this to JerseyisCutest, but regardless, your own silence is pretty indicative and for the reasons I laid out, I hope you can see that it's naive to see that Purina, IAMS, Hill's, et al. are as infallible as you think. Nutrition is only complicated when humans try to make it so...and especially when it's a multi-billion dollar business!

And anyways, we certainly didn't evolve to eat McDonald's, donuts or greasy pizza, but only about 0.02% of the population pays any regard to that! :D

Ain't that the truth, but 2/3 of American adults and 1/3 of kids are overweight (myself included!). I try to eat wholesome food, but even that, I just eat too much. :( I need to portion myself like I do my dogs, who are lean and mean!! :D I think both human animals and animal animals can splurge occasionally on stuff that's not great for them, but not everyday like we have a tendency to. I think people and pets are living longer in spite of our diets, not because of them.

Reeeowww! :smuggrin: So did you or anyone else actually answer the question that I laid out numerous times? Are grains and filler in those other diets actually good for our pets? I think you are addressing this to JerseyisCutest, but regardless, your own silence is pretty indicative and for the reasons I laid out, I hope you can see that it's naive to see that Purina, IAMS, Hill's, et al. are as infallible as you think. Nutrition is only complicated when humans try to make it so...and especially when it's a multi-billion dollar business!

I think some people are going after me as an excuse not to answer you personally :)

Also, ri23 that post is not only completely UNTRUE because I never once twisted anything (although you SURE did! if you need me to point this out, I can) but it is also totally unprofessional, rude, and inappropriate to wish bad on me or anyone else for that matter.

All,

There are some good points going on in the debate here, but please remember to stay on topic and refrain from the personal attacks and insults. Please refer to SDN's Terms of Service if you need a refresher.

Although this 'debate' has gotten a bit scary, I do appreciate the parts of it that deal with what to feed our pets. When I was (much) younger, our family always used to feed my Cocker Pedigree. Now I realize it's no wonder she had so many allergy problems! (Besides the fact, of course, that she was a Cocker :)). Since then I had a friend who made me read the ingredient list on Pedigree, and "taught" me what to look for (I put it in quotes since, though I've tried to learn more and more since then, I wouldn't necessarily call myself knowledgeable on the topic.)

I do have one question for Electrophile, though. I was taught that you want your first ingredients to be meat. Meat meat, not meat by-product meal or meat meal. I'm wondering if I'm wrong on this though. I noticed that for the brands (I think) you suggested were not so good, their first one or two ingredients were Chicken, or Lamb, etc. etc. (i.e. meat). For Canidae, though, the first product is Chicken MEAL. I'm not suggeesting this makes this food complete crap by any means, but was I taught correctly that it would be better if this brand's first ingredient was chicken vs. chicken meal, or does it not make a difference?

Thanks to everyone who's added what they believe to be valuable information to this debate!

was I taught correctly that it would be better if this brand's first ingredient was chicken vs. chicken meal, or does it not make a difference?

I know I'm not Electrophile, but I have an answer to your question :)

There are sort of two different camps here. One camp says that putting an ingredient like "chicken" first is deceptive, because "chicken" means the whole meat, water included. Because ingredients are listed in order of weight, companies will use chicken rather than chicken meal because it can show up first or second in the ingredients list even though it contains a lot of water that will just be cooked out in the process of making it into kibble. Chicken meal already has the water removed, so it is relatively more nutrient-dense than whole chicken.

The other camp says that you want to see "chicken" listed rather than a meal (or at least in addition to a meal) because the extrusion process required to make chicken meal actually makes the protein less digestible. High temperature, high pressure processing creates cross-linkages that the GI tract can't break down, so not all of that protein ends up being available to the body. Whole chicken doesn't go through as intensive of processing, so it remains relatively more digestible than meal.

You'll see food companies land in both camps... Natura products (Innova, etc) use both, Wysong I think only uses whole meats, and there are many companies that only use meals.

for you guys that feed your cats Science diet R/D - Ive learned that the weight reduction is actually due to loss in muscle mass too - so Ive switched to Purina OM - which is a good dry diet for all cats because its very high in protein and low in carbs - just fyi! And my cats love it :)

StealthDog is right on. For a while, I think the meals got a bit of a bad rap because before people started paying attention, a lot of the meals were unnamed mystery meat meals or blood and bone meal, which is kind of scary. I don't have as much of an issue with one versus the other as long as they are named as I think you can go either way, as she pointed out.

On a related note, by-products are also pretty hotly contested. I feed my dogs organ meats several times a week (liver from beef, goat, lamb, and pork, chicken gizzards, kidneys from various sources, various kinds of heart, which may actually be more like muscle meat, etc) and canned green tripe several times a week. However, I don't trust ye ole rendering plant to add those in for me, especially from 4D animals. I get most of my organ meat from either the local farmers market so they are grass fed or from the university meat lab where they monitor the animals closely anyways. It's actually scary how similiar the Solid Gold canned green tripe smells like to good ol' fashioned Alpo. Yum.

I'm not a vet student (yet) and haven't taken a nutrition class (yet) so I can't vouch for the validity of this site, but the information seems senseable to me: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/. What do you guys think: are their ratings logical?

I suppose I should have answered the original question too!

My dog eats Innova (just the regular adult food, not EVO), although she's also done very well on Eagle Pack. I tried her on EVO but never had much luck (chronic soft stools). I made my poor girl eat it for three months before I gave up and decided that she would never be able to adjust to a grain-free food. I used to feel that the concept of an ancestral diet sounded like a good idea, but when my dog's GI tract disagreed, I sort of quit buying into it. Dogs have had 10,000-some years of domestication to alter their digestion, and one trait of domestication is probably an increased dietary tolerance of (and need for) carbohydrates.

There are lots of dogs that do great on the no-grain low-carb diets, but there are others (like mine) who are more of the higher-carb high-fiber type. The "best diet" is the one that fits your pet. Try lots of things, and try not to let dogma take over and get in the way of feeding your pet what's best for him/her.

I have a Boston Terrier with a VERY sensitive stomach. I have tried many varieties of the Hill's Prescription diets with no success. I am currently feeding her Wellness Lamb and she is doing great!-- Less allergies, great coat, no vomiting. My mother recently started feeding her poodles Wellness and they are doing great too.

I'm not a vet student (yet) and haven't taken a nutrition class (yet) so I can't vouch for the validity of this site, but the information seems senseable to me: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/. What do you guys think: are their ratings logical?

I spent a lot of time reading pages on this site, and it was a bit disheartening to see Pro Plan ranked in the same category (1 out of 6) as Alpo and Beneful.

StealthDog and Electrophile -- thanks to both of you for your responses, that makes a lot of sense. It's funny, I actually just got my Nutrition textbook today (thank you Hill's!), so maybe by the end of this semester I'll be more learned on this topic. :)

There are lots of dogs that do great on the no-grain low-carb diets, but there are others (like mine) who are more of the higher-carb high-fiber type. The "best diet" is the one that fits your pet. Try lots of things, and try not to let dogma take over and get in the way of feeding your pet what's best for him/her.

Regular Innova is still a great food. :) An online friend of mine switched from one of the "higher end" Purinas (Pro Plan or ONE) to Innova EVO and had somewhat similar issues with one of her dogs. Most of her dogs did great, but her one dog had a lot of the food allergies resolved but it seemed like it was still too rich just by itself for that particular dog. She now "dilutes" the Innova EVO with Canidae and had better luck with that. That of course is another option. I know a few folks who buy several different formulations (say Innova EVO red meat, Canidae all life stages, and Merrick wilderness blend) and rotate them through for variety and to prevent constant exposure to the same ingredients. This is an attempt to avoid developing an allergy (like how you can develop a latex allergy over time by wearing latex gloves day in and day out or you can develop an allergy to animal dander by too much exposure over time). Whether or not it works, I dunno, but sounds good in theory.

I spent a lot of time reading pages on this site, and it was a bit disheartening to see Pro Plan ranked in the same category (1 out of 6) as Alpo and Beneful.

I'm not really that surprised...the ingredients don't lie. Hill's more or less went down in flames too. Overall, I'd say the rankings are pretty solid, though in a few cases somewhat arbitrary (like Chicken Soup puppy is 5 star, but Chicken Soup adult is 4 star). But yeah, overall, pretty solid just from skimming it. I do like how it explains what the various glutens, brans, etc mean in terms of production. That's pretty interesting.

rotate them through for variety and to prevent constant exposure to the same ingredients.

The problem with doing this is that, if your dog does develop an allergy, it can be hard to determine what the allergen is because to do elimination testing, you have to find a protein and carb source that the dog hasn't been exposed to yet. Common novel protein sources are fish, venison, or buffalo, but if you rotate between foods that contain all of those, you have to go for a more unique source like kangaroo or hydrolyzed proteins.

I try to stick to the more common protein sources for now, like chicken, so that if my dog does develop an allergy it will be easy to find a novel source food.

maybe by the end of this semester I'll be more learned on this topic.

Our nutrition intro course is okay, but I wish it didn't include taking Purina's online nutrition module. :/ We're lucky that we have a clinical nutritionist on staff, though.

I actually just got my Nutrition textbook today

I love that book! It's one of my most often-referred to texts, and I didn't have to spend a huge chunk of financial aid on it ;)

My doggie has food allergies so he eats Z/D exclusively...other wise he gets itchy and chews himself raw. My cat has FLUTD and eats W/D dry and C/D multicare to keep his urinary tract happy and healthy and....flowing. :p

I always get so overwhelmed with what I should feed my cats. It's about as hard as figuring out what to eat myself. :) I did feed them Wysong a few years ago, and they really thrived on it. Unfortunately it's very expensive, and I can't find it around here anyway. I switched to Nutro after that, but I'm just not that impressed with their ingredients. And one of my cat's ballooned up on Purina One, and that's weight he is just not losing in spite a pretty limited food intake.

Right now I'm buying the Blue Buffalo stuff and supplementing with the Whiskas Pure Fish packages. It seems to be working, but fat kitty is still fat. I'll note that none of my cats are picky eaters, so I've never had problems with getting food that my cats won't eat.

Doctor Bagel, is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul available in your area? It's usually at independent feed stores and pet food stores (not grocery stores and Petco, etc). That's what I feed my ferret and he like it a lot (ferrets are notoriously pickier than even cats and they tolerate grains even worse). I tried my ferret on a whole prey model diet of frozen thawed mice and he wouldn't eat much beyond playing with the guts and whatnot. Yuck. Doesn't know what's good for him! :D My snake love their whole prey model diet. :laugh: Anyways, Chicken Soup is actually not real expensive either. Plus you can get an extra big bag and freeze what you don't use right away. It keeps nicely for 6+ months.

this is a can of worms!

i feed Wellness.

you feed your pet worms? :laugh:

Darn insomnia has me reading the vet threads.

So my cat is a super active 1 year old healthy cat that won't eat anything but dry food. She loves drinking water (in non-concerning amounts) so I am not worried about her not getting enough moisture, but this thread makes me worried that I am being negligent by not feeding her differently.

I tried to get her to eat the wet stuff, but she won't touch it. She likes Friskies, Meow Mix, and similar brands. I tried some Iams stuff once and she wouldn't touch it... only thing she has ever thumbed her nose at.

SO... can she continue to live a happy, healthy life like this, or should I change this up?

I am not a cat person by nature.. she just sorta decided that she was going to live with me when she was a kitten, so I don't have a lot of experience with this.

dry food is great. i wouldn't worry about BARF diet or anything like that if you don't want to. get a good quailty brand (see above) and stick with it. just my opinion.

Darn insomnia has me reading the vet threads.

So my cat is a super active 1 year old healthy cat that won't eat anything but dry food. She loves drinking water (in non-concerning amounts) so I am not worried about her not getting enough moisture, but this thread makes me worried that I am being negligent by not feeding her differently.

I tried to get her to eat the wet stuff, but she won't touch it. She likes Friskies, Meow Mix, and similar brands. I tried some Iams stuff once and she wouldn't touch it... only thing she has ever thumbed her nose at.

SO... can she continue to live a happy, healthy life like this, or should I change this up?

I am not a cat person by nature.. she just sorta decided that she was going to live with me when she was a kitten, so I don't have a lot of experience with this.

I would *highly* recommend getting her off of Meow Mix and Friskies. Both are the cat equivalent of Kibbles n Bits. Waaaay too grain heavy for an obligate carnivore and full of by-products, mystery meats, and artificial colors. I'd wager a big reason why so many cats are fat and diabetic is because of the grain heavy feeds.
:barf:

Meow Mix Original: Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), turkey by-product meal, salmon meal, ocean fish meal, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, animal digest, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium chloride, choline chloride, added color (red 40, yellow 5, blue 2, and other color), salt, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, niacin, vitamin E supplement, biotin, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Friskies Signature Blends: Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, corn germ meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, salmon meal, tuna meal, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, animal digest, salt, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine, added color (red 40, yellow 5, blue 2), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, l-alanine, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium carbonate, vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), citric acid, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Excellent dry cat foods are Innova EVO, Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, The Honest Kitchen (a dehydrated food), etc.

My 2 Chihuahuas eat Solid Gold. Although, they may get switched to one of the Rx obesity diets shortly... as they seem to be getting a bit plump.