What do I do? DO school physician letter of recommendation requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-FRET-

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short- ideally I would like to apply DO this cycle. However, my physician shadowing was cut short due to COVID and I was unable to obtain a physician’s LoR. I’ve noticed that is a pretty firm requirement for almost all DO schools. Would it be pretty pointless to even apply this cycle without one (especially this late)?
My other concern is that even if I wait and apply next cycle, shadowing opportunities will still be limited with everything going on- so what if I can’t even get a letter by next cycle?
Has anyone found an alternative to shadowing that would be considered sufficient for med schools? I have already tried the Zoom meeting route, but have been told since there is no patient contact, it has no value. (Ideally an alternative that involves a physician since the LoR is what I’m lacking).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short- ideally I would like to apply DO this cycle. However, my physician shadowing was cut short due to COVID and I was unable to obtain a physician’s LoR. I’ve noticed that is a pretty firm requirement for almost all DO schools. Would it be pretty pointless to even apply this cycle without one (especially this late)?
My other concern is that even if I wait and apply next cycle, shadowing opportunities will still be limited with everything going on- so what if I can’t even get a letter by next cycle?
Has anyone found an alternative to shadowing that would be considered sufficient for med schools? I have already tried the Zoom meeting route, but have been told since there is no patient contact, it has no value. (Ideally an alternative that involves a physician since the LoR is what I’m lacking).

I am not sure which schools specifically, but some have moved away from physician LORs for this cycle. I would look at the forums on here and find those schools. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure which schools specifically, but some have moved away from physician LORs for this cycle. I would look at the forums on here and find those schools. Good luck!
Great, thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)

PCOM
LECOM
Ohio Heritage
NYTCOM
MSUCOM

These do not require a letter by a physician.

• Love
Also Rowan, DMU, UNECOM. VCOM requires one within 30 days of acceptance, and Campbell requires one prior to an offer of admission.

• Love
Also Rowan, DMU, UNECOM. VCOM requires one within 30 days of acceptance, and Campbell requires one prior to an offer of admission.
Oh this is VERY helpful to know. I live in Iowa so I'll definitely be applying to DMU. Thank you very much!!!

I’ve noticed that is a pretty firm requirement for almost all DO schools.

It isn't at all! Only a handful outright require one. Almost all do require a physician letter though (MD or DO)

• Hmm
It isn't at all! Only a handful outright require one. Almost all do require a physician letter though (MD or DO)
Wait...my question was- is it pointless to apply to DO schools without a letter of recommendation from a physician? Because it seems like almost all programs (except the ones listed in the reply above) require one. Are you saying it IS or ISN'T a firm requirement for DO schools?

Wait...my question was- is it pointless to apply to DO schools without a letter of recommendation from a physician? Because it seems like almost all programs (except the ones listed in the reply above) require one. Are you saying it IS or ISN'T a firm requirement for DO schools?

My bad...misread your post :smack: it's a pretty firm requirement across the board, but yes, a handful of DO schools this cycle have dropped the requirement.
Is there a reason you can't ask the physician for a letter? They may understand the circumstances. Plenty of people also don't shadow the same doctor for more than a few hours, anyway.

My bad...misread your post :smack: it's a pretty firm requirement across the board, but yes, a handful of DO schools this cycle have dropped the requirement.
Is there a reason you can't ask the physician for a letter? They may understand the circumstances. Plenty of people also don't shadow the same doctor for more than a few hours, anyway.
Hahaha you're good :lol:& I was able to obtain one from the resident that performed most of the operations I observed. But the attending physician spent <8 hours with me as opposed to the >60 hours I spent with his residents so he said there wasn't enough one-on-one mentoring with him to write a letter that would be valued by adcoms.

I mean, to throw it out there, I don't have a physician LOR, am low stats (but solid EC's incuding 4,000 clinical hours and strong LOR's, also NO shadowing due to COVID) but I've gotten 3 DO II's that have led to 1 A so far. Schools that don't have the LOR requirement are, in general, willing to holistically look at people w/o a letter. I've found that they've been even more lenient this year. So not having one definitely won't kill anyone's application as long as you have, elsewhere in your application, demonstrated immersion in the clinical environment and an understanding of osteopathy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users