Schools not requiring physician LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

let-me-take-my-mcat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I can delete this thread if it's bothersome. I know myself and a few other applicants were unable to get physician LOR's due to COVID, and I thought maybe having an aggregate thread for us to post about schools that aren't requiring one would be helpful. For example, I didn't know that Lincoln isn't requiring one this year, and if I hadn't stumbled upon that fact, I wouldn't have applied. Lincoln used to require one, but like I said because of the pandemic, they aren't. So I was wondering if other schools have sent updates to their current applicants that they aren't requiring one (and since we/I don't have a physician LOR, we/I wouldn't have gotten that email and known). I'll start:
  • LECOM
  • ICOM
  • Lincoln
  • NYITCOM
  • UNECOM
  • DMU
  • VCOM (although they require a DO letter within 30 days of acceptance)
  • PCOM
  • Campbell
  • Rowan
  • Michigan
  • Burrell
  • Noorda

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
TCOM is only a weak recommendation for one from what i've heard. SHSU doesn't require one either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an MD letter only because of one of my professors is a retired MD, PNWU and NOVA said they would accept the letter as a physician letter but would need 2 other letters from science faculty who graded your work at well. I’m not sure if this helps anyone

Kinda don't want to do TMDSAS (or whatever it is) at this point, it'd take forever to get verified. Thanks though!

Hey everyone, I can delete this thread if it's bothersome. I know myself and a few other applicants were unable to get physician LOR's due to COVID, and I thought maybe having an aggregate thread for us to post about schools that aren't requiring one would be helpful. For example, I didn't know that Lincoln isn't requiring one this year, and if I hadn't stumbled upon that fact, I wouldn't have applied. Lincoln used to require one, but like I said because of the pandemic, they aren't. So I was wondering if other schools have sent updates to their current applicants that they aren't requiring one (and since we/I don't have a physician LOR, we/I wouldn't have gotten that email and known). I'll start:
  • LECOM
  • ICOM
  • Lincoln
  • NYITCOM
  • UNECOM
  • DMU
  • PCOM
  • Campbell
  • Rowan
  • Michigan
  • Burrell
  • Noorda

RVU I believe also waived the physician letter but require a "healthcare" recommender.

Where do you see that DMU does not require one??

RVU I believe also waived the physician letter but require a "healthcare" recommender.

Where do you see that DMU does not require one??

Good to know -I have one more AACOMAS slot left, so while I could easily get an EMT I work with to write one, I'm saving that slot because I'm setting up some physician shadowing (hopefully next week) and I'm hoping he'll agree to write me a LOR.

DMU doesn't have that listed as a requirement on their interview process page. More anecdotally, I'm in the process of interviewing there now so if I missed that requirement during my search, it may not be a hard requirement.

Good to know -I have one more AACOMAS slot left, so while I could easily get an EMT I work with to write one, I'm saving that slot because I'm setting up some physician shadowing (hopefully next week) and I'm hoping he'll agree to write me a LOR.

DMU doesn't have that listed as a requirement on their interview process page. More anecdotally, I'm in the process of interviewing there now so if I missed that requirement during my search, it may not be a hard requirement.

Thanks for the info, I'll likely add DMU then!

LECOM and Campbell don't require them? I thought they both did

• LECOM
  • ICOM
  • Lincoln
  • NYITCOM
  • UNECOM
  • DMU
  • PCOM
  • Campbell
  • Rowan
  • Michigan
  • Burrell
  • Noorda

Is this list accurate? Because it says Des Moines still requires a physician letter here: Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine DMU-COM - Choose DO

I've found Choose DO to be pretty inaccurate about not only LOR requirements, but also course requirements. I scoured DMU's actual website pretty thoroughly and I haven't come across a physician LOR requirement for them.
Gotcha. I did just check the DMU website and it does say a Medical Letter is required here: How to Apply | Des Moines University

Gotcha. I did just check the DMU website and it does say a Medical Letter is required here: How to Apply | Des Moines University

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.50.19 PM.png

It says Recommends up top. I have my zoom part of my interview with them tomorrow, I've managed to get this far without one, and it says your file won't be complete/passed to the committee for review until all LOR's are received. I really think for them it's a strong recommendation.

View attachment 317633

It says Recommends up top. I have my zoom part of my interview with them tomorrow, I've managed to get this far without one, and it says your file won't be complete/passed to the committee for review until all LOR's are received. I really think for them it's a strong recommendation.

ahh okay, that makes sense! I might just apply then haha