DO Requirements Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quietdreams

Reaction score
I want to apply to DO schools as well, but I've only shadowed an MD and noticed that some of the schools say they require a DO lor. My committee packet has already been sent in and received by AACOMAS. So I'm concerned whether I would be wasting my money and effort applying for those specific DO schools? Would they still consider me? I have several years of clinical experience, so I'm wondering how much of a fallback my lack of a DO LOR is.

Also I'm currently in the process of contacting a DO to shadow for my gap year, so would I be able to send in a LOR later on and have my application considered?

Members don't see this ad.

Most DO schools don't require a DO letter. It's highly suggested if you could obtain one, but don't let that be the reason you don't apply. Lots of applicants, including me, do not have a DO letter. Just be careful and do your research on which schools require it, and which recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will add onto this and say a lot of schools do want you to shadow a DO. If you're applying this cycle and don't have DO shadowing yet, I'm not sure how successful of a cycle it will be. Of course, some schools are okay with just MD. It just depends where you apply to.

Reactions: 1 user