What can you do with extra budget money from industry trial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So the research coordinator for this industry trial ended up having to be split with another funded project, so less salary came out of this one.
Bottom line is there will be extra cash at the end of this, which is totally new to me. I've never had a project budget end up appreciably in the black before.

Can I use it for something, like article processing fees for fancy journals? What's OK here?
@Neuronix @SurfingDoctor @sluox @Fencer

Members don't see this ad.

I'd ask your grants administrator. If it's unrestricted then sure, article fees are fine. Travel, computers, etc. Maybe there's another project that needs manpower or resources?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, either the grants manager would have an idea or the contact point for the sponsor would know what is allowed. I’ve never had an industry sponsored study but somehow I’d imagine if they close or complete a study with left over funds, they’d take them back are repurpose them, but that’s a guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap I put this in the wrong forum. Meant to put in Physician Scientists.
I feel like the grants manager is going to tell me to go ask the sponsor and the sponsor will be like, yeah we'll take that back thank you.
:/
Too bad. Thx for the input

Crap I put this in the wrong forum. Meant to put in Physician Scientists.
I feel like the grants manager is going to tell me to go ask the sponsor and the sponsor will be like, yeah we'll take that back thank you.
:/
Too bad. Thx for the input
I mean, can you swing it and tell the industry sponsor that you want to publish the findings and have them pay the APC or present the data and use the remaining funds for travel and accommodations? (Realizing that industry sponsors are protective of release public data for PR purposes)

Read the grant / contract? Must be something in there about this scenario of residual funds? This has to have happened before, and a corporate sponsor should have already had a pre-made clause or two for these scenarios.

Read the grant / contract? Must be something in there about this scenario of residual funds? This has to have happened before, and a corporate sponsor should have already had a pre-made clause or two for these scenarios.
Yeah no the Finance section of the CTA is very short. It just says we agree to stick to the budget as negotiated and we are not going to seek additional compensation from trial subjects or third-party payers. The sponsor is a little startup not a pharma giant, which may be why the legalese seems to have been kept at a minimum.

SurfingDoctor said:
I mean, can you swing it and tell the industry sponsor that you want to publish the findings and have them pay the APC or present the data and use the remaining funds for travel and accommodations? (Realizing that industry sponsors are protective of release public data for PR purposes)

It's a multisite (well, dual site really) so we will publish all together and I'm sure the sponsor would pick up any APC for that, but that would be separate from leftover funds at our site. Travel to present makes more sense although most of the conferences still seem virtual and honestly I'm not looking for reasons to travel to any.

I might be able to just buy out more of my own time vs the research coordinator's, keeping overall budget the same and reasoning that since RC did less I had to do more. It just doesn't go very far that way though.

@Neuronix are you able to move this thread to Physician Scientists perchance?

Yeah no the Finance section of the CTA is very short. It just says we agree to stick to the budget as negotiated and we are not going to seek additional compensation from trial subjects or third-party payers. The sponsor is a little startup not a pharma giant, which may be why the legalese seems to have been kept at a minimum.

It's a multisite (well, dual site really) so we will publish all together and I'm sure the sponsor would pick up any APC for that, but that would be separate from leftover funds at our site. Travel to present makes more sense although most of the conferences still seem virtual and honestly I'm not looking for reasons to travel to any.

I might be able to just buy out more of my own time vs the research coordinator's, keeping overall budget the same and reasoning that since RC did less I had to do more. It just doesn't go very far that way though.

@Neuronix are you able to move this thread to Physician Scientists perchance?
I mean, I'm not sure that gets you a lot, but that is probably very doable.