Lack of extracurriculars but research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatsmelody

Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of posts that as a general rule of thumb for MD/PhD applicants, do a ton of research and do ~100 hours of clinical experience/shadowing.

I am a sophomore international student interested in MD/PhD, and I am aware that the only schools that will accept internationals would be research-heavy, private, top-heavy schools. I can't say I fall into URM category...

I am currently in a research lab, started doing research last May (summer break after freshman year), but I don't think I have not done any meaningful extracurriculars other than serving as a UGSI in bio lab and ochem classes. I did serve military in my home country for a 1.5 year, as a squad leader for a few months, and as a military volunteer at an international airport helping and translating for the incoming passengers and especially those who were tested COVID, but that was already two years ago when I was taking gap years for the military so I am not sure that is relevant...

I know that research should be my utmost priority, but I am afraid that I lack clinical experience and leadership experience in school (student orgs, organizing an event...). I will try to get more clinical exposure beginning next semester, but the lack of any leadership experience or not being in any student orgs worries me, since up until now, my application sounds like I'm a pre-grad student, not a pre-md/phd student.

Should I focus more on research and clinical experiences, or should I also try to get a leadership experience in some other ways? My qualitative side of application would not be enough yet for those top-heavy schools, I guess?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.

Are you on a timeline to get permanent residency by the time you start medical school?

What opportunities have you taken to shadow or work with MD/PhDs? Have you gone to webinars hosted by APSA?

I also suggest contacting the F1doctor.com team.