postbac in industry-->MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabby9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know if having an industry job will hurt my chances at MD/PhD programs? If so what are your thoughts on applying MD and then internally applying PhD? Should I continue to apply and find positions in academia and apply in another cycle?

This is the story:
I graduated last May and could not find a job until December which was in industry despite my initial efforts at trying to land an academic position. The research this company is doing is very cutting edge. I am leading my own research projects and presenting data to my managers every week. I am generating more data than I ever did working 3,000 hours in academia as an undergrad, I have learned a considerable deal from wicked smart people working around me. It feels like academia on steroids, things are fast paced, there are a lot of meetings, and everyday I am designing new experiments and analyzing data all the time. I really believe the work the company is doing and the salary is great however I really miss the academic atmosphere and it is still my dream to apply MD/PhD.

I have strong letters from my two PIs. Two 3rd author publications (one in nature), Three abstracts. My GPA is not the greatest (3.55c and 3.60sci) but I hope to make it up with my MCAT in May.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont have any personal experience with this, but I do not think it will be a problem. I met several people on the interview trail with substantial industry research experience. If anything, I think it will be a major strength at some programs.

Your GPA will be a hurdle but how high that hurdle is will depend on your MCAT. That needs to be a major priority, first priority when you begin to study for it. You have publications, presentations, plenty of experience and a diverse set of experiences at that. It sucks that we have to care about things that are ultimately quite meaningless like 0.2 points on a GPA, but I'm confident that with a solid MCAT (514+) you will have several options at the end of the cycle. So when it comes time to prep for the MCAT: that's priority number 1.

You will have choices, but need to apply broad across all levels of MSTPs and large MD/PhD programs (~ 20-25 programs) with 10 dream schools. Depending upon your MCAT, you might also need to be realistic. Once you have your score, PM me...
In the meantime, download the Excel data set from table B-8 from AAMC. Add a column of applicants/matriculant.... There will be programs that are more competitive relative to others. The list of MSTP is here.