What are the Benefits of MBA after PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have talked to many PT's and couple of them who think that they need more money for themselves and their families tend to go for MBA or some other health related masters programs. What actually are the benefits of going for MBA or other masters programs after PT and approx how much more money do you get and where exactly do you get employed?

Members don't see this ad.

The only benefit I would see for this is if you're seeking a management or eventually a hospital administration job. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The only benefit I would see for this is if you're seeking a management or eventually a hospital administration job. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I would agree with you on that. Maybe such titles like Director of Rehab, PT etc... I would imagine some PTs getting an MBA before they open up their own clinic to learn more about the business aspect of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with you on that. Maybe such titles like Director of Rehab, PT etc... I would imagine some PTs getting an MBA before they open up their own clinic to learn more about the business aspect of it.

from what i hear, you really don't need an MBA to gain titles such as director of rehab, pt, etc. i actually hear these positions are not too difficult to get with some experience, and certainly a DPT would help.

So if a PT has to increase his pay i guess experience is the way to go. For a fact i know that up here in Canada PT avg pay is around $55-65K. So what are the other options or paths that one can take to increase his salary? Any thoughts...

from what i hear, you really don't need an MBA to gain titles such as director of rehab, pt, etc. i actually hear these positions are not too difficult to get with some experience, and certainly a DPT would help.

Yes, you are right, however, it may make things a lot easier and faster for the PT to reach his/her goals of managing a clinic. I think most PTs would get MBA for their own business. Just my thought though, I don't exactly know.

Beller status, I don't know the answer to your question. Bad0 Fish0, do you think an advance cert from APTA would increase a PT's salary?

Yes, you are right, however, it may make things a lot easier and faster for the PT to reach his/her goals of managing a clinic. I think most PTs would get MBA for their own business. Just my thought though, I don't exactly know.

Beller status, I don't know the answer to your question. Bad0 Fish0, do you think an advance cert from APTA would increase a PT's salary?

yes but not significantly. experience is most important but as far as things you can do initially, i would say PRN side job, home health or SNF side job, weekend work etc. also travel jobs tend to pay better. many people get a second job doing 1-2 home health assignments a day after their regular job which would give you a significant increase in income without, IMO, working *too* hard.

so a regular PT gets around 50-75K...how much do you think wud u get additional on top of that if u do the traveling thingy with ur regular practice.

So if a PT has to increase his pay i guess experience is the way to go. For a fact i know that up here in Canada PT avg pay is around $55-65K. So what are the other options or paths that one can take to increase his salary? Any thoughts...

54k is starting salary for brand new grads in hospitals in the GTA and 60-70k is starting salaries for brand new grads in private clinics depending on how many hours you work.

with 5+ years experience you can make anywhere between 75-90k depending on if you work in hospital or private clinics....you could make 85k+ pretty easy if you do a combo of homecare and private clinics.. homecare you get about 50 dollars an hour around this area.

Thanks for the response but could you kindly confirm the source for these numbers please!

Thanks for the response but could you kindly confirm the source for these numbers please!

Source for this information is personal experience and knowledge..lol. I know thats probably not what you were hoping for. The truth is that a lot of the job salary websites for ontario regarding PTs are outdated and incorrect. It is also very hard to get accurate numbers when you are talking about the private sector versus public sector jobs due to how the tax system works and the things you can write off. I say 54k for starting salary in hospital because thats what my classmates who are new grads are making. If you check workopolis you might get a better idea.. most jobs posted for PTs in hospital setting start at about 28/hour but in reality .. a new grad shouldnt settle for anything less then 30/hour in the hospital and should expect more in private setting. Again personal experience .. 65-70k is around where a new grad should start working the private sector about 40-45hrs/wk. $50/hour for homecare.. again this is common knowledge. If you want verification the best way to try is to call up potential employers and ask how much they are offering .. but i dont know how open they will be to discuss it unless you are a PT looking for work. Best way to know is to ask people who are actually working in the field.

I apologize if my last post sounded a bit rude but i totally respect your word. Also i reckon that you are a current MSc(OT/PT) student and i was wondering if you could advice me on what programs are better (better in a sense that easier to get in and higher probability of finding a job in less time right after graduation). Currently i am looking at Mac, UWO and Queens. Your word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I apologize if my last post sounded a bit rude but i totally respect your word. Also i reckon that you are a current MSc(OT/PT) student and i was wondering if you could advice me on what programs are better (better in a sense that easier to get in and higher probability of finding a job in less time right after graduation). Currently i am looking at Mac, UWO and Queens. Your word would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well I dont know too much about OT's but I do know thier program is quite different from PT's. PT's in this area would generally find it easier to get a job in the private sector and potentially make more money but there are some private sector jobs available for OT's as well. Finding a job is pretty easy as a PT right now .. hopefully that won't change anytime soon. From last years graduating class 100% of the grads who wanted to found jobs right away .. many had jobs before even graduating lined up for them. I cant really be 100% sure which of those schools would be easiest to get into... perhaps Queens but who can really be sure ...every school has there own admissions system. However if you get around an 85% avg in your last 2 years of undergrad (thats like 10.5-11 for mac students) you will have a pretty solid chance of getting into any of those schools.