What do you like about being a PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of applying to PT school, and just finished submitting my applications on PTCAS. I went on Reddit (probably my first mistake there) and it seems most people don't enjoy being a physical therapist. I understand that tuition can be expensive, but are there people who enjoy being a physical therapist? Is there any positivity that can be shown about the profession?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a bit of advice, NEVER go on reddit in regards to how PTs feel about the profession. It seems like that is their only outlet to vent because they cant do it in the clinic, and this results in a very toxic subreddit. I absolutely love my job as a PT, and i could name 20 other PTs that absolutely love their jobs too.

TLDR: don't let that subreddit skew your opinion of the field if this is your passion.

Best of luck :)

Just a bit of advice, NEVER go on reddit in regards to how PTs feel about the profession. It seems like that is their only outlet to vent because they cant do it in the clinic, and this results in a very toxic subreddit.
Very true. You're going to find a dispraportionate amount of unhappy PTs replying on Reddit. However, they aren't without merit. When I was applying to school, a PT I worked with told me to not go into therapy and I should instead apply to PA school because the PT field is wayyyyyy oversaturated. Also, PA new grads earn at least 10k more compared to PT new grad. But I didn't have all the pre-reqs for PA and I doubt I could have passed Orgo, so I stuck with PT.

I can't comment on practicing PT yet but as far as choosing programs, the number 1 factor is choosing the one with the lowest tuition. DPT schools generally prepare students well for the NPTE, so don't pay thousands more for the one that has clout because of a biased website ranking.

Also, more programs are changing their curriculums to be 2-year/~7semesters. Most likely because they want to compete with PA school. If you decide to go to PT school make sure you go over their curriculum and read each course description. A lot of 3 year programs stretch out the curriculum with useless and redundant (for example scoliosis has been covered in my program in SIX different classes) lectures and content to increase tuition when it's already bad enough that you're paying the school thousands of dollars for your unpaid labor in the form of 30+ weeks of clinical education.

Last edited: