What are some "Family Friendly" OB/GYN Programs for students with children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step1medstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the most family friendly Ob/Gyn residency programs out there? When I say family friendly I mean programs that allow you to spend some more time with your family. Programs where many residents have children also. I have a 2 year old boy and would like to find a residency program that other parents recommend. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt very much that you are going to find a residency that will give you more time off because you have a child. That is not fair to your colleagues who do not have children. If you are looking for less hours, maybe you need to rethink your specialty. I am not saying this to be mean, I am being honest with you. All residents would like more time to spend with their family and friends.

I don't get the impression that the original poster is looking for special treatment and more time off than other residents in the program because s/he is a parent but instead is looking for a program where there is some extra time for a life outside of work.

There's a big difference between a program where you are expected to lie about your 80 hour work week with very few golden weekends vs. a program where you actually do work 80 hours max (and average quite a bit less than that when you factor in lighter rotations) with 2-3 golden weekends per month.

There are family friendly ob/gyn programs - but it is hard to ask these questions during the interview days without coming across as a resident who doesn't want to work hard. I work my behind off when I am at work, but my life is more than just my job and I need just a little time for that as well so I get where the OP is coming from.

I found that the Freida database was pretty accurate in terms of call schedule, average hours per week worked, and what the residents told me on interviews. I obviously only have personal experience from my own program, but our hours and call are precisely what was advertised on Freida.

My program doesn't have a lot of parents but I consider it to be about as family-friendly as an OB/Gyn program can be. So don't use that as a deciding factor!

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you tell if a program adhears to the 80 hours a week or not? Should you ask straight out?

Not every program is the same. Some require a lot more hours than others. I'm not asking for "special treatment." I'm in this forum to get input and not criticism regarding family friendly Ob/GYN programs.

In my program half the residents are married with children. We all make it work. Some rotations are time demanding where others are bankers hours. You just do your best with the time you have at home.