What are my odds? From a newcomer :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegLeg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this site several days ago and have found it so helpful! Thank you to everyone who is active on here.

GPA: Ohio State University - 3.8
GRE: 1160, 4.5
Major: Political Science and International Studies
Intended MPH Focus: Global Health
Experience: Extensive political internships (Governor, Senator) and a couple International Relations based internships, but no healthcare experience. However, I have a promising volunteer / internship lined up for this year at the WHO.

As I only recently decided to pursue an MPH in global health, I would really appreciate an honest assesment of my chances getting into schools like GWU, NYU, BU, Columbia, Tulane and (huge long shot) JH. It's hard for me to gauge off older threads because many of you are exceptionally smart.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is very good and your GRE isn't goint to set off any red flags (though I'm going to bet you could do better if you retake it).

Get the letters of recommendation and essay out of the way and several good schools will accept you.

You should be just fine. Your experience is what will set you apart. Hopkins probably isn't as much of a long shot as you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. If it makes you feel better, my stats were almost identical to yours (slightly lower actually) and I got into GWU, UCLA and Columbia. Just make sure you get good letters of rec from professors that know you and that you write a personal statement that clearly states how an MPH fits into your career goals. I wouldn't worry too much about your lack of public health experience - there is something to be said for your strong political experience (especially if you are hoping to go into a policy track)