What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrystalViolet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Step 1 score was 185, I always wanted to go into Radiology. My preclinical grades were not the greatest. I passed everthing, but no honors.
I am in my wards and have loved my Rad rotation.I have gotten descent evals on the wards so far.

I was wondering if I even have a chance with Radiology being so competative. I know its not Derm, but Im wondering if I should give up the dream now and find something else.

I know I dont have a chance at places like Johns Hopkins, UCLA, etc. Are ther any 2nd tier or good community based programs I would have more than a statistical chance at getting into?

Any help please... Im in career crises mode at the moment :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You are in for a tough road ahead and you will probably not get many interviews....you need a backup plan my friend. But by all means apply to as many radiology programs as you can, but you should think of a backup and take Step 2 early and do well.

O.k... someone has to enlighten me....

I've always loved technology / computers and imaging... i think there is so much in the future! Who cares about reimbursement.. i'll do it even for $150K / year. I did research for ophatha.. but i really enjoyed the imaging of that project.

But alas, my grades are like yours... and I know that Radiology is the "R" of ADORE.

Someone please answer my question then:
Let's just say ChrystalViolet and I would go ANYWHERE in the U.S... kentucky, arkansas, Idaho (not that these states are bad... love Idaho btw), do the chances change?

More importantly, I'm looking at all the 'unfilled' positions ... 48!. I'm looking at Tennesse, W. Virginia, Oklahoma. The list is on Scutwork.com (left column). Also, they say the fill %'tage is 95%... can we squeeze in and be that 5%? :laugh: Or do some programs say..

"Dude, we rather have NO resident than have Mr. 185 at all"

I know that these positions are usually taken during the scramble.. but does that mean people that can't memorize / take tests like ChrystalViolet and I have a chance here?

Also in crisis...

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on now...the posters that scored 185s, do you really think that you have a shot at radiology? I'm not trying to be mean, but be realistic...I mean, what was the rads mean step 1 for matched applicants, like 220-230? If you could scramble into rads with a 185, don't you think everyone would just sit back and do that? It has been said that some programs will deliberately submit a short rank list for rads so that they can have the pick of the litter in the scramble.

I'm sorry, but with a 185, and then you throw just average grades on top of that like the OP has, most programs would automatically throw your application away...many programs have interview cutoffs in the 220-240 range, if you're below that they won't even look at the rest of your application. I'm sure that somewhere at some time, someone has gotten into radiology with a step in the 180s, but realistically speaking the chances for you are extremely slim. I'm sorry for being harsh, but too many people on this board just say "you should just go for it!" and they aren't practical. You will likely waste a lot of money if you apply for radiology. That being said, no one can absolutely guarantee what would happen, maybe your uncle is the PD for a program, or you'll score 500 on the step 2, but most likely you should focus on a less competitive specialty.

Unfortunately most program directors are fixated on USMLE scores which have very little correlation to success as a radiologist in my opinion. I trust that most of the academic attendings who are currently in practice had low USMLEs as radiology was a very undesirable field in the past. I may be on the admissions committee this year and will try to change this stance.

Forget the unmatched positions- you need to know someone to get one. They are unfilled because of arrogance of the admissions committee not because no one applied to the program. There are many side tracks into radiology but it is a really long road. Consider the market will likely be bad by the time you finish also. We can argue all we want about this last point, but consider that starting salaries are half of what they were four years ago.

I spoke with a PD at a community radiology program. A little background on myself. I'm an IMG also interested in radiology, but with a more competitive step 1 score.

When I spoke to him about my chances. He said they first institute a cut off at 85 for step 1 and 2 and only look at those apps that are above the cut off. Thats the only time they ever really look into the step scores he said.

He said research matters, especially from someone who is well known in the field or from a great institution. Dean's letters. Clinicals grades and LORs.

He said they even looked at college grades and scores to look for consistency in the individual when it came to studying and doing well.

He told me the only thing I have going for myself is my willingness to apply to any program.

From this. I can say a few things for the OP.

1. You're going to have a hard time getting interviews because you might not get past the filters.
2. Do research. He said its not so much that you get published, but they wanted to see that you've worked extensively with a radiologist.
3. Look at the community programs and apply to as many programs as you can.
4. Try and make a great impression if you do a radiology elective. Most programs will give you an interview if you did an elective there.

oncall said:
Consider the market will likely be bad by the time you finish also. We can argue all we want about this last point, but consider that starting salaries are half of what they were four years ago.

Sorry first of all to 'hijack' thread but I was just hoping oncall might clarify this just a bit.

Granted, the field may not be as lucrative as it currently is but do you see it dropping to the level of FP, IM or any other primary care speciality? Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious.