What are my chances for CA and NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezytaughtme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, rads has gotten more competitive this year anecdotally, so want to ask what people thought given my step 2 score drop. Looking at CA (socal) and NYC (have important significant other/family ties to both).
Step 1: 250
Step 2: 239
Pre-clinical: P/F unranked
Clinical grades: 3 Honors (IM, Primary Care, Psych), 3 HP (OB/Gyn, Peds, Neuro) , 1 P (Surgery)
Ranking: Do not know clinical years ranking yet.
School: Top 20
Research: Took a dedicated research year after M3 (finishing up). 2 first author manuscripts submitted, second author on 2 more (more involved papers, not chart review etc). on ~6 abstracts
ECs: School's Free clinic, had an involved position.
LORs: Planning to get from IM sub-i, Family medicine rotation, PI from research year, PD of rads dept, potentially can get another one from Primary care IM rotation from 3rd year

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, rads has gotten more competitive this year anecdotally, so want to ask what people thought given my step 2 score drop. Looking at CA (socal) and NYC (have important significant other/family ties to both).
Step 1: 250
Step 2: 239
Pre-clinical: P/F unranked
Clinical grades: 3 Honors (IM, Primary Care, Psych), 3 HP (OB/Gyn, Peds, Neuro) , 1 P (Surgery)
Ranking: Do not know clinical years ranking yet.
School: Top 20
Research: Took a dedicated research year after M3 (finishing up). 2 first author manuscripts submitted, second author on 2 more (more involved papers, not chart review etc). on ~6 abstracts
ECs: School's Free clinic, had an involved position.
LORs: Planning to get from IM sub-i, Family medicine rotation, PI from research year, PD of rads dept, potentially can get another one from Primary care IM rotation from 3rd year

As long as you’re not a weirdo you’ll get a ton of invites and should match well.

You left out the most critical data point(s) - where are you from/where is your medical school located?

Never underestimate geography bias.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You left out the most critical data point(s) - where are you from/where is your medical school located?

Never underestimate geography bias.
In order to not lose anonymity, I'm from one of the two places (socal/NY) and my medical school is located in the same place. The other of the two locations is where my significant other is living.

In order to not lose anonymity, I'm from one of the two places (socal/NY) and my medical school is located in the same place. The other of the two locations is where my significant other is living.
Anecdotally, I’ve found the West Coast a tougher nut to crack than NY. If you’re on the West Coast, you are subsequently in good shape. If you’re in NY and SO is in California, that may be harder.

All else equal, coming from a top 20 helps. Consider an away rotation and definitely send personalized personal statements/love letters to specific programs as needed.