What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances are pretty good for high/middle tier academic programs. West Coast of course will be challenging without ties but not out of the question. I would still apply pretty broadly (60+) since I've seen some fellow classmates get burned this year applying DR even with stellar numbers. You'll get a lot of IIs with your app, make sure you are able to vibe with your interviewers. Most of the time they are looking for people who are a good fit and can carry a conversation. The reading rooms would be dreadfully awkward otherwise..

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your advice! This is very helpful to know. When you say your classmates had issues with applying DR this year, do you think it's because DR is becoming more competitive, pandemic-related issues, other reasons, etc?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Many reasons why DR is more competitive but main reason I think is the recent overexpansion of medical schools md and do in the recent years and step score creep/arms race so that many more med student now are actually very good, which makes everything more competitive including anesthesia DR psych etc, causing selection to boil down to interviews. Only a few years ago one is guaranteed a top DR and anesthesia program for being us md, showing up to the interview, and be the most average student- many great Dr and anesthesia programs had open seats in the soap, now they never go unfilled. Also job market for Dr is said to be good right now but who knows what will happen next in the future. Pandemic also makes it easier for people to apply backup thanks to decreasing aways and zoom interview

Reactions: 1 user
You have to email programs you are interested in on the west coast, otherwise they might just think you’re applying just because. It actually works, maybe not for every program but it’ll should for some of them

Reactions: 1 users
You have to email programs you are interested in on the west coast, otherwise they might just think you’re applying just because. It actually works, maybe not for every program but it’ll should for some of them

When do you think these emails should occur? Before or during the interview season?