This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're good for those three.

Slim to no chance for DO though.

I would say it would be slim to none for the better DO schools, if you could up the MCAT to the 30+ or do an SMP I think you would get into DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those stats are lower than the average for wvu, which is known to have some of the lowest do admission standards. I think you are also neglecting to account how late in the cycle it is for med admissions.

Rushrhees hit the nail on the head with what was said, but i was going solely off the stats provided.

Thanks for the input. I'm still weighing my options.

I'm retaking the MCAT in May (and planning on applying to DO schools this summer). The first time threw I half assed a Kaplan course then thought listening to audio osmosis and skimming exam krackers would be enough. If I actually put in the work and study, I know I can get over a 30. My lower level sciences have killed my GPA. I have a decent upward trend and have done well in the 2 upper level science courses I took last semester (microbio and physio). Working on biochem now.

I was planning on doing a 5th year of undergrad to complete an additional major in biology - and thus taking upper level science classes and hopefully proving myself. However, part of the appeal of pod school is that I know I can get in now - and at the end, I'll be a surgeon. Worst case scenario with DO/MD, I'm doing primary care. I would probably go into primary care if it wasn't so crappy. I've seen my Dad bust his ass 70-80 hours a week doing it, while barely scraping by financially. Not to say I won't work hard 70-80 hours week as a pod at some point, but podiatry seems to offer a lot more variety to make those hours more bearable (and really, if podiatry was a MD/DO specialty I think it would be pretty damn competitive). I want to be a physician, and the DPM route will as of now, get me there the fastest. Plus, what if in a year from now all I manage to do is 3.0 and 3.5 all those courses for bio? Or perform even worse? So far my track record doesn't point elsewhere. I'm trying to be practical in my decision.

I've shadowed a pod, and plan on continuing to shadow him and other DPMs until I find that I could never do it - or until I fall in love with it.

Hello,
I was wondering what my chances are for any of the 9 podiatry schools! I have been accepted to a few carribean medical schools (St. George, AUC, Saba, and Ross) because I originally wanted to become a physician. But, recently I started to shadow a podiatrist and I have grown to really enjoy it. I have all of my transcripts, mcat scores, and LOR together. However, I am worried that I am applying too late and that my scores are unsatisfactory. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice and what my chances are for this next fall! Thank you so much!
1. Schools you are applying to: ALL OF THEM!
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.047 (cGPA)/ 2.70 (sGPA)
3. MCAT Score: I took it twice. The first time: 19M (V: 07, PS: 04, B:08) The second time: 22M (V: 11, PS:07, B: 04)
4. Podiatry Experience: I have shadowed at a podiatry residency program (so far only a few times).
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): I have volunteered at a hospital for a few years, worked at an internal medicine office for 2 years, and volunteered at a OBGyn office for one year.
6. Volunteering: (above)

Hello,
I was wondering what my chances are for any of the 9 podiatry schools! I have been accepted to a few carribean medical schools (St. George, AUC, Saba, and Ross) because I originally wanted to become a physician. But, recently I started to shadow a podiatrist and I have grown to really enjoy it. I have all of my transcripts, mcat scores, and LOR together. However, I am worried that I am applying too late and that my scores are unsatisfactory. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice and what my chances are for this next fall! Thank you so much!
1. Schools you are applying to: ALL OF THEM!
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.047 (cGPA)/ 2.70 (sGPA)
3. MCAT Score: I took it twice. The first time: 19M (V: 07, PS: 04, B:08) The second time: 22M (V: 11, PS:07, B: 04)
4. Podiatry Experience: I have shadowed at a podiatry residency program (so far only a few times).
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): I have volunteered at a hospital for a few years, worked at an internal medicine office for 2 years, and volunteered at a OBGyn office for one year.
6. Volunteering: (above)

definitely apply! It won't hurt your chances. MCAT scores is fine and I just applied couple weeks ago and go an interview so its not too late.

Do u think that pod schools take the higher MCAT sections if you took the test multiple times?
1st: V-5, PS-4, BS-9
2nd: V-1, PS-8, BS-8

I don't know personally, but doing worse on your second try sounds like a pretty big red flag to me.

Do u think that pod schools take the higher MCAT sections if you took the test multiple times?
1st: V-5, PS-4, BS-9
2nd: V-1, PS-8, BS-8
Give it a try i suppose, but to be honest those scores are just awful, i mean a 1 on VR WTF. When i see scores like that i think either
1. Extreme test anxiety
2. Lack of understanding of English
3. Does not understand the material
While all these happen and can be fixed, you have to think how you will do on exams and boards. Cast a wide net, but i see barry or kent most likely.

I've recently decided on Podiatry as a fit for me. Graduated this past summer BS Biology with honors from prestigious liberal arts school 3.69 oGPA, I imagine my sGPA is somewhere around a 3.4. Pretty good EC's. Needing to know if I should rush to take the MCAT in March and get an app in. Predicting my score would probably range around 19-20 (this is what Kaplan averaged it as). Should I go with this plan or hold off and apply first round in August? Should I submit my app BEFORE I take it in March? Would it hurt to see how I did and apply anyway? & if no luck retake the MCAT after studying more?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if I ran outta time on verbal and thats why I gotta 1 or what. It might've been a goof on their behalf who knows. I was shocked as sh** when I saw it too. But don't u think science scores and the fact that I jumped from a 4 to an 8 on PS would matter more for POD school?

and no, I understand English...I'm FROM the US and speak no other language fluently. I do have a Bachelor's. No test anxiety either. I'm just not a fast reader, especially when it comes to very complex reading like there is on the MCAT verbal. I was never a frequent reader.

yeah I'll just have to see how narrow these admissions committees think. I've taken DAT and MCAT and I tend to do well on science sections and sh**ty on reading sections. I mean would you have ANYTHING like verbal reasoning on the Pod boards? Probably more like the science sections on there instead.

Verbal = raw critical thinking, wheras the rest of the MCAT is critical thinking using what was learned in prereqs. Verbal is very important. I would call up specific schools you are interested and ask, but a 1 is bad. It can be interpreted in many ways, and something such as "poor time management" isn't really an acceptable excuse. The MCAT is a standardized test for a reason - no excuses. If you ran out of time after only completing a tiny portion of the section, then it probably would have been in your best interest to void at the end.

I see. Well I still didn't go from a 5 to a 1 because I lost my critical thinking skills.lol I believe also that the sciences catch my attention a lot better than non science subjects anyway, hence I'm going into a science oriented field.

I've recently decided on Podiatry as a fit for me. Graduated this past summer BS Biology with honors from prestigious liberal arts school 3.69 oGPA, I imagine my sGPA is somewhere around a 3.4. Pretty good EC's. Needing to know if I should rush to take the MCAT in March and get an app in. Predicting my score would probably range around 19-20 (this is what Kaplan averaged it as). Should I go with this plan or hold off and apply first round in August? Should I submit my app BEFORE I take it in March? Would it hurt to see how I did and apply anyway? & if no luck retake the MCAT after studying more?

Any advice?????????:scared::(

I think u getting a 19-20 would be ok with ur gpa's. Keep in mind that the MCAT scores don't come back until 45 days after u take it. I say if u got tha money, rush it, and if it doesn't work out just try again for next cycle. Otherwise wait til Aug. But just like Im thinking with my stats, provided u apply to as many as possible u should be getting some interviews and at least a couple acceptances according to your numbers.

I see. Well I still didn't go from a 5 to a 1 because I lost my critical thinking skills.lol I believe also that the sciences catch my attention a lot better than non science subjects anyway, hence I'm going into a science oriented field.

Science is critical thinking! Well, it sounds like it is within your abilities to perform better on the MCAT. But with pod school standards you might stand a shot, especially if your GPA is good. So if you can get out of another few hundred to AMCAS I say go for it!

I would make sure you call the schools before you send in application. I'm pretty sure Temple doesn't accept a Verbal below a 6 or 5.

Any advice?????????:scared::(

You have a great GPA, it's perfect for Pod. BUT, I would not rush to take the MCAT. Applying that late in the cycle means you will have to get a good MCAT score IMO and I don't know if a 19-20 would be good enough for that time. However, if you waited till next cycle and apply in August you will def get interviews with a 20MCAT and that gpa. Something to think about.

Thanks so much for responding! I'm just curious why it would hurt to apply both now and then if I didn't get in this time around apply next cycle? I don't mind dishing out the extra $ for it.. I guess my only worry is having to take the MCAT twice if I didn't do well enough on it in March but it doesn't sound like taking it twice holds many people back... and I haven't seen much on discouraging re-applicants.

If I did take it in March and apply, could I already finish and send in my app? Even before I take it?

I also plan to call the schools tomorrow and see what they would recommend doing, if they have filled their class size yet, etc.

well my gpa's are 3.53 overall and 3.37 science. I got about 1500 hrs in EC's. Me being a URM...Idk if that has any bearing at all anymore, but I'm not counting on it anyway. I plan to apply to 6 of the 9 schools.

u mean take the MCAT in March, but apply and send in the application before then? I believe u can. The application just won't be processed until after the test scores are received.

my DAT scores might help me with Temple and perhaps even NYCPM

Thanks so much for responding! I'm just curious why it would hurt to apply both now and then if I didn't get in this time around apply next cycle? I don't mind dishing out the extra $ for it.. I guess my only worry is having to take the MCAT twice if I didn't do well enough on it in March but it doesn't sound like taking it twice holds many people back... and I haven't seen much on discouraging re-applicants.

If I did take it in March and apply, could I already finish and send in my app? Even before I take it?

If you are dead set on applying this cycle, I would still wait to submit my app after you receive your MCAT scores in April. The Schools you apply to cannot receive or look at your app until you are verified by aacpmas, meaning they confirmed what you put in your app is true based on your transcripts and MCAT score you have to send them. This means the soonest schools can even take a look at your app is mid April, even if you were to submit this week. Although you are willing to spend the $$ to apply this cycle, waiting to submit until April will save you from wasting $ just in case you score poorly on th MCAT. Last thing you want is submit now, drop a couple hundred bucks just to find out in April you bombed the test and now that $ was truly spent for nothing. This is all my opinion but I hope it helps! Good luck on the MCAT!

Edit: if you do wait until April to submit, I would also recommend to start and complete the online app now but DON'T submit, along with sending your transcripts to aacpmas ASAP. That way once you receive your sccore and if you do well, those are two less things that need to be completed when you are ready to submit your app in April.

Last edited:
Th

I DO/MD, I' I've seen my Dad bust his ass 70-80 hours a week doing it, while barely scraping by financially. No.
@hopefulspartan, you can also try to leverage the fact that your dad is a physician if you are interested in DO. Schools seem more open to ones who have family in the field, if anything else it can bolster your personal statement.
Idk if I ran outta time on verbal and thats why I gotta 1 or what. It might've been a goof on their behalf who knows. I was shocked as sh** when I saw it too. But don't u think science scores and the fact that I jumped from a 4 to an 8 on PS would matter more for POD school?
Getting a 1 means something went horribly horribly wrong, you only got about 4 or so questions right out of 40. You can ask to get that section regraded by hand, but this does come with a fee you truly think that there was an error. I suppose going 4-8 is a help, but neither of those scores are something to write home about.

and no, I understand English...I'm FROM the US and speak no other language fluently. I do have a Bachelor's. No test anxiety either. I'm just not a fast reader, especially when it comes to very complex reading like there is on the MCAT verbal. I was never a frequent reader.
I asked that as I have known brilliant people who bombed the MCAT for these reasons. I will say though you will have to get used to reading tons of journal articles and other clinical/technical literature. I would get into the habit of reading a lot more.

yeah I'll just have to see how narrow these admissions committees think. I've taken DAT and MCAT and I tend to do well on science sections and sh**ty on reading sections. I mean would you have ANYTHING like verbal reasoning on the Pod boards? Probably more like the science sections on there instead.
You will be using the skills on the verbal section all the time through your life. It is not a reading test but more of a critical thinking exam. Think of it when you become an attending your patients might be coming in giving you a bunch of BS in their history but give that one sliver of information that can lead to a diagnosis. Being able to process information down to what you truly need is a very needed skill in everyday life.
I am seriously not trying to be a troll or anything and given this is POD school someone will take you in. I just want it so you can be in a position to actually have a pick of schools, possibly get offered scholarships, and be in a position to do well in school. While I am not on the ADCOM and do not know what they do in their meetings, for me this would raise a huge red flag. I am quoting this from a scholl interview that when he sees low MCAT/high GPA they suspect grade inflation. Just be prepared to answer why those scores do not reflect your true abilities, or even better get those scores up. Best of luck.

thanx a lot for your feedback rushrhees. I see the verbal reasoning section as relatively minor to the science sections because the science sections on which I ultimately did well test critical thinking with science and being timed on applying new information. Thus, the skills verbal reasoning calls for are called for in the science sections as well. However, the boards and tests in pod school will resemble the science sections much more I'm sure. And interesting patient information is going to be a better read than something about Frankenstein's novel or a passage about dashes. Hopefully Pod schools will be able to see that. As I've posted before, I didn't go from a 5 to a 1 in verbal b/c I dropped off on critical thinking skills. At worst it was a bad testing day for me on that section.

@hopefulspartan, you can also try to leverage the fact that your dad is a physician if you are interested in DO. Schools seem more open to ones who have family in the field, if anything else it can bolster your personal statement.

Oh, I will. I believe my PS statement is excellent in expressing why I want to commit to medicine. He's definitely a big reason why I want to be a physician. I think I'm going to hold off applying this cycle and spend a year doing more courses (and doing well in them) in upper level science/adding a degree and apply early next cycle for DO schools. As much variety as there is in podiatry, I feel like it could still get monotonous. Regardless, it is still an option for me.

University of Iowa- degree in Bio

3.06 cGPA
2.73sGPA
(without grade replacement):(

Work as pharmacy tech - 1 year
Held part time job in private lab for 2 semesters 20 hrs/week
Hospital Volunteer experience and leadership
Strong upward grade trend
Straight A's/ deans list twice

25R Mcat,

planning on applying in april for fall, I am getting a little worried about my chances. Thoughts?

University of Iowa- degree in Bio

3.06 cGPA
2.73sGPA
(without grade replacement):(

Work as pharmacy tech - 1 year
Held part time job in private lab for 2 semesters 20 hrs/week
Hospital Volunteer experience and leadership
Strong upward grade trend
Straight A's/ deans list twice

25R Mcat,

planning on applying in april for fall, I am getting a little worried about my chances. Thoughts?

Why are you waiting until April to apply?

I have everything but my LORs taken care of, I am shadowing this week. It is really difficult for me to meet with my professors and get time off of work to shadow because I work full time at a pharmacy. I am working to get it done as quickly as possible but my goal for latest app is April.

I have everything but my LORs taken care of, I am shadowing this week. It is really difficult for me to meet with my professors and get time off of work to shadow because I work full time at a pharmacy. I am working to get it done as quickly as possible but my goal for latest app is April.

If you have everything in and have already taken the MCAT I would apply now if I were you. You don't need your LORs right away, although it helps, but you can get an interview invite before you send your LOR. That's what happened to with Kent. I just made sure they got them by the time I did interviewed. That way you can schedule an interview for April and send your LORs then, instead of waiting for an invite to come late in he cycle. Now if you're holding off until you shadow more to make sure you want to be a podiatrist, I understand completely as that was what delayed me from sending app right away as well. Good luck with the shadowing and I hope you enjoy it!

I agree with de niro. Apply now. I got accepted at a school before they even received mine..lol

On the subject yet off topic at the same time, which schools grant interviews/acceptances before LOR's and which don't?

Kent invited me to an interview before they received my LORs. Idk about getting an acceptance as I sent them before my interviews date, but I think I've read they do require LORs before rendering final decision. I could be wrong though.

APPLY NOW!!!! I applied without a MCAT score and got an interview at Kent State (not sure if that means anything since it seems as if everyone gets an interview there.) You have good enough scores to get an interview at multiple schools. Just need LORs but take your chances early than late.

3.4 cgpa
3.3 sgpa

Mcat - 15

does he have a chance?

Tell your friend to take the MCAT again. Also, if his/her score doesn't improve then I would worry how they might preform on their boards.

Good luck to your friend.

15 on the MCAT, something went horribly wrong, anything less than 20 I view as sort of a failure. What was he/she getting on the AAMC practice exams.
In all honesty, probably someone will take them in.

cGPA: 3.5ish
sGPA: 3.1-3.3ish
MCAT: 25P

Volunteer activities:
2+ years hospital volunteer experience
Volunteer research assistant at local pediatric hospital
3 month's volunteering at daycare for mentally/physically disabled
3+ months volunteer at Cancer Centre
1 year Student Mentor for Science Students

Work-related activities:
6 months as research assistant at hospital research institute for schizophrenia
Currently a medical assistant at local health care/walk-in clinic

Awards:
Deans Honor List 3 years
Scholarship
Community Service Award

Should be noted that I am Canadian and as such there is very limited access to DPM's. Pretty much everyone in my area is a chiropodist. As such I don't have hands on experience shadowing a DPM. I intend only to apply to NY for personal reasons.

Volunteer activities:

Work-related activities:

Awards:
Deans Honor List 3 years
Scholarship
Community Service Award

Should be noted that I am Canadian and as such there is very limited access to DPM's. Pretty much everyone in my area is a chiropodist. As such I don't have hands on experience shadowing a DPM. I intend only to apply to NY for personal reasons.

Any LoRs? Which cycle are you planning to apply for?

3 LOR's, one from neuroscience prof, one from an MD, one from my current work as medical assistant. Will be applying to Sept 2013 stream. Do you know if my chances are any good for NYCPM?

Volunteer activities:

Work-related activities:

Awards:
Deans Honor List 3 years
Scholarship
Community Service Award

Everything looks good although I cannot say for sure about being chances as an international applicant. Your GPAs and MCAT look fine.

Good luck!