This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would think you're a solid candidate at any school. While a great MCAT isn't necessarily required these days, I would aim for at least a 23, as rushrhees mentioned

Hrs shadowed don't count for much tho-it just gives you a basis to argue your interest in podiatry on.

I was NEVER explicitly asked how many hours I shadowed, but rather, to relate the quality of my experiences. You should keep in mind the experiences that made you go "wow" or "Damn-I could really see myself doing this one day".

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of getting in if I apply within the next month (second or third week of January)?
23 mcat
3.7 GPA
3.4 sGPA

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you have a fair shot, but the classes are filling up. schools with smaller numbers are just about complete so expect them to be pickier.

I believe you have a fair shot, but the classes are filling up. schools with smaller numbers are just about complete so expect them to be pickier.
what would some of the smaller schools be? I was looking into Samuel Merritt, Barry, New York, and Temple as my top choices.

Okay so here is where I am at..

I do not plan to apply until Fall 2014 but I am having to go to a CC. I am on my own financially, haven't had parent's support since I was about 17. There business went under. All on me now. It's okay though I feel it has made me a better person.

Anyway, I will just be getting my 90 credit hours and all prereqs with MCAT obviously.

I will however take my organic chem at a BIG 10 school, IU. My CC doesn't offer it. I am having to save every penny just to pay for that class next Fall.

Right now I have a 3.85 cGPA 4.0 sGPA. Plan on getting it up to at least a 3.9 cGPA. I know I need a high GPA since a majority of my classes are being taken at a CC. I will also study very hard for the MCAT and do the best I can, isn't that all we can do :)

I am just very worried that me having to take my classes at a CC is going to kill me. It is not like I am doing it because it is easier. I still study very hard. I have no choice. there is now way I could pay for full tuition at a big university. I struggle paying for everything at CC.

My #1 is Kent..

What do you guys think? Will I have a shot?

Also, congrats to everybody getting acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
On what basis would know this? It makes sense that scholarship funds would deplete throughout the year, but unless you've called the schools and been told this is just your assumption.

What scholarship funds? Your school gives out lots of scholarships? I'm not in podiatry btw I just have friends who are who had stats way way higher than that and didn't get any scholarship money.

I do not plan to apply until Fall 2014 but I am having to go to a CC. I am on my own financially, haven't had parent's support since I was about 17. There business went under. All on me now. It's okay though I feel it has made me a better person.

Anyway, I will just be getting my 90 credit hours and all prereqs with MCAT obviously.

I will however take my organic chem at a BIG 10 school, IU. My CC doesn't offer it. I am having to save every penny just to pay for that class next Fall.

Right now I have a 3.85 cGPA 4.0 sGPA. Plan on getting it up to at least a 3.9 cGPA. I know I need a high GPA since a majority of my classes are being taken at a CC. I will also study very hard for the MCAT and do the best I can, isn't that all we can do :)

I am just very worried that me having to take my classes at a CC is going to kill me. It is not like I am doing it because it is easier. I still study very hard. I have no choice. there is now way I could pay for full tuition at a big university. I struggle paying for everything at CC.

My #1 is Kent..

With your GPA I am sure you be fine as long as you get a decent MCAT score. I was in a similar situation as you and I had a boatload of CC credits and got in to my school of choice (although I went on to get a bachelor degree.) Not sure if Kent state is open or closed file for interviews, but just be able to show them you will be able to handle the course load of school and you will be golden.

What scholarship funds? Your school gives out lots of scholarships? I'm not in podiatry btw I just have friends who are who had stats way way higher than that and didn't get any scholarship money.

CSPM has scholarship money based on a score calculated by GPA+MCAT score. If they still have scholarship money/spots available, I think he would qualify for some assistance based on his stats IIRC

I received "scholarship" money from all the schools that accepted me. A skeptical person might classify this money as a tuition reimbursement, but that's the lingo we use around here. Your friends anecdotal experience aside - there are many factors that go into scholarships including the school, the date, and of course the scores. I wish you the best of luck in your medical career, but I don't understand your post in the context of you not having any meaningful podiatric experience which would make you an authority on the matter.

With your GPA I am sure you be fine as long as you get a decent MCAT score. I was in a similar situation as you and I had a boatload of CC credits and got in to my school of choice (although I went on to get a bachelor degree.) Not sure if Kent state is open or closed file for interviews, but just be able to show them you will be able to handle the course load of school and you will be golden.

Hey thanks a lot man! Gives me hope!

:)

Hey guys. I thought I would introduce myself since I’m new. I’m currently a captain in the Army and I’m leaving active duty in April to pursue entrance into podiatry school. Over the past 6 years I’ve developed an interest in medicine, specifically podiatry (partly because I’ve put my feet through hell and had to educate myself on foot care, btw “Fixing Your Feet” is an awesome book!).

I have a B.S. in Political Science, GPA 3.3, sGPA 3.0. I went back and took Gen Bio I & II in 2010 (both As). I took Gen Chem I & II when I was an undergrad like 8 years ago (both Cs.)

I’m going back to school full time starting in May. I plan on retaking Gen Chem I & II , and taking physics I & II in the summer. Fall 2013 I’ll take OChem I, and 2-3 upper level Bio classes. Spring 2014 I’ll take OChem II and another 2-3 upper level Bio classes. I want to take the MCAT January 2014.

I have a couple of questions. Do you guys think Gen Chem I & II along with Physics I & II is too much for two 6 week summer terms? (I have nothing to do but study). Also, I’m looking at maybe applying in Jan 2014 to start Fall 2014. Is that too soon or should I wait and apply to start 2015?

Sorry this is so long, I’m just trying to solidify my plans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys. I thought I would introduce myself since I’m new. I’m currently a captain in the Army and I’m leaving active duty in April to pursue entrance into podiatry school. Over the past 6 years I’ve developed an interest in medicine, specifically podiatry (partly because I’ve put my feet through hell and had to educate myself on foot care, btw “Fixing Your Feet” is an awesome book!).

I have a B.S. in Political Science, GPA 3.3, sGPA 3.0. I went back and took Gen Bio I & II in 2010 (both As). I took Gen Chem I & II when I was an undergrad like 8 years ago (both Cs.)

I’m going back to school full time starting in May. I plan on retaking Gen Chem I & II , and taking physics I & II in the summer. Fall 2013 I’ll take OChem I, and 2-3 upper level Bio classes. Spring 2014 I’ll take OChem II and another 2-3 upper level Bio classes. I want to take the MCAT January 2014.

I have a couple of questions. Do you guys think Gen Chem I & II along with Physics I & II is too much for two 6 week summer terms? (I have nothing to do but study). Also, I’m looking at maybe applying in Jan 2014 to start Fall 2014. Is that too soon or should I wait and apply to start 2015?

Sorry this is so long, I’m just trying to solidify my plans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

that's a lot of science in the summer, but i think it's manageable. one course in the summer is equal to like three or four courses during a regular semester, b/c the amount of work is condensed.

but there are people with full time jobs, families, etc., that can rock a full semester of science courses, so if they can do it, so can u! good luck on your efforts and thanks for serving our country.

In regards to taking chemistry and physics at the same time - the only thing I'll point out is that both of those classes have laboratories and when you take a laboratory class over the summer they have to pack those sessions in. You should ask to see the schedule because you might have 4+ labs in a week.

I looked up the lab schedules. For 1st summer block- Chem lab twice a week for 2 hrs; Physics lab once a week for 2 hrs 10 mins. Same for the 2nd summer block.

So three labs a week. If that is what it takes to be able to apply a year sooner then it would definitely be worth it. If not, then I'll just spread it throughout the year. Thoughts?

I looked up the lab schedules. For 1st summer block- Chem lab twice a week for 2 hrs; Physics lab once a week for 2 hrs 10 mins. Same for the 2nd summer block.

So three labs a week. If that is what it takes to be able to apply a year sooner then it would definitely be worth it. If not, then I'll just spread it throughout the year. Thoughts?

It's definitely manageable. I took orgo2 with lab, and GenChem2 with lab during the spring (6 weeks) semester. I also took calc which was throughout the spring and summer semesters. It was NOT easy. But it is worth it if you want to graduate sooner. Also, podiatry school isn't easy and this will definitely teach you how to manage your time. Good luck!

I'm really pissed I missed the Big school v. Ivy League v. Small unknown Liberal Arts school conversation

Hey guys. I thought I would introduce myself since I'm new. I'm currently a captain in the Army and I'm leaving active duty in April to pursue entrance into podiatry school. Over the past 6 years I've developed an interest in medicine, specifically podiatry (partly because I've put my feet through hell and had to educate myself on foot care, btw "Fixing Your Feet" is an awesome book!).

I'm going back to school full time starting in May. I plan on retaking Gen Chem I & II , and taking physics I & II in the summer. Fall 2013 I'll take OChem I, and 2-3 upper level Bio classes. Spring 2014 I'll take OChem II and another 2-3 upper level Bio classes. I want to take the MCAT January 2014.

I have a couple of questions. Do you guys think Gen Chem I & II along with Physics I & II is too much for two 6 week summer terms? (I have nothing to do but study). Also, I'm looking at maybe applying in Jan 2014 to start Fall 2014. Is that too soon or should I wait and apply to start 2015?

Sorry this is so long, I'm just trying to solidify my plans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're in the military, so I assume you are disciplined. You'll need to be very militant about your studying, but because I assume the discipline is already there, I don't think you'll have any problem with this course schedule.

A buddy of mine was in the AF for five years, and once he got out and starting studying for the DAT, he was like a machine. He did VERY well after he studied, and it was mostly attributed to his disciplined study habits from the AF.

Good luck!

My #1 is Kent..

BUMP on this. Anyone else care to give their insight on my situation??

I would say you have a shot, especially since you have kept your grades really high. The schools will take that into account with your MCAT, but you should be golden. :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to spread the classes out over the school year instead of going balls to the wall during the summer. I haven't been a full time student since I graduated in 2007,so I'm just going play it safe and get back into the swing of things. Thanks!

Hi SDNer's,

I'm just looking for some advice.

I am non traditional student with the following stats:
overall GPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT 1st time: 18N (6,4,8)
MCAT 2nd time: 17M (7,2,8)

I am signed up to take the MCAT in March, but have already submitted my application. As a result, I have interview offers from NYCPM, KSUCMP, and Scholl. Temple denied me.
I just don't know if I can improve on the MCAT given that I took it two times, but I will it give a shot anyways and perhaps change my ways of studying. I know I can't buy my way into POD school with such a low score.
Do you think I should continue with the interview, or wait until April to see my scores. Idk.. I'm just very confused and would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

I agree with AB. I know you it may be the last thing you want to hear, but try and get the MCAT up to solidify your acceptance. But yeah, I'd say continue with your interviews and let them know you have another score on the way.

Best of luck!

Also, moving to the WAMC thread.

1. Schools you are applying to All - But California is preferred.
2. cGPA/sGPA ~3.1 / Not sure but probably very close to cGPA or even higher.
3. MCAT Score 28 - Retaking it. This time I am better prepared. Hoping for a 30 at least.
4. Podiatry Experience Yes
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable) No
6. Volunteering ~ Pharmacy ~300 hours

Undergrad GPA: ~3.1 (Last 60 units: 3.3) B.Sc Biochemistry.
Graduate GPA: ~3.9 M.Sc Organic Chemistry.
Chemistry and Biochemistry club member.
2 Years of undergrad research and 2 years of grad research.
Taught general chem labs for three semesters.
1 publication (1s author) in an Organic chem journal. Another one pending. (2nd author)
2 strong LoR from my thesis advisor and Analytical chem professor - one good/okay LoR from my undergrad biology professor.

Important:
In one semester (freshman year), I had 5 Ws and 2Fs. (No more Fs or Ws after that) And 2 D's later on. None of them were prerequisites (Gen Bios - Gen/O chems - Physics, Eng). My prereq GPA should be 3.3

I repeated both of my F's and got A's. Repeated one of my D's and got a B+. Repeated my 3Ws and got A's in all of them.

What do you guys think?

Also, do you guys think I have a chance of getting into Med schools if I get higher than 30 on MCAT?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have taken the MCAT and DAT. My MCAT scores are 18 and 17. My DAT scores are 20 TS, 19 AA, and 13 PAT:mad:. My RC was a 15, but all other sections other than the PAT was at least 17. My cgpa is 3.53 and sgpa is 3.37. I've researched allopathic and dental medicine of course, but now I am starting my venture in podiatric medicine. So from these stats, I would really appreciate some feedback on my chances for acceptance in a school of podiatry.

I have taken the MCAT and DAT. My MCAT scores are 18 and 17. My DAT scores are 20 TS, 19 AA, and 13 PAT:mad:. My RC was a 15, but all other sections other than the PAT was at least 17. My cgpa is 3.53 and sgpa is 3.37. I've researched allopathic and dental medicine of course, but now I am starting my venture in podiatric medicine. So from these stats, I would really appreciate some feedback on my chances for acceptance in a school of podiatry.

Even though your PAT is low, I think you would do fine based on what the information you've given me.

I think you may be ok for podiatry, but you probably will have to explain all them Ws and Fs. I don't know about allopathic med, though, are you trying to do that or podiatry?

3. MCAT Score 28 - Retaking it. This time I am better prepared. Hoping for a 30 at least.

1 publication (1s author) in an Organic chem journal. Another one pending. (2nd author)
2 strong LoR from my thesis advisor and Analytical chem professor - one good/okay LoR from my undergrad biology professor.

Important:
In one semester (freshman year), I had 5 Ws and 2Fs. (No more Fs or Ws after that) And 2 D's later on. None of them were prerequisites (Gen Bios - Gen/O chems - Physics, Eng). My prereq GPA should be 3.3

I repeated both of my F's and got A's. Repeated one of my D's and got a B+. Repeated my 3Ws and got A's in all of them.

What do you guys think?

Also, do you guys think I have a chance of getting into Med schools if I get higher than 30 on MCAT?

Thanks.

Should be good for Pod.

Allopathic schools no.

Important:

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

DPM - You're good.
DO - Probably.
MD - Maybe.
Carib - Don't do it.

1. Retake MCAT or
2. Apply to NYCPM and Temple with DAT

yeah I'm sooo going with option 2. I DON'T wanna redo the **cking mcat. The beastiest test ever. Hopefully they can push my PAT to the side cause I don't wanna deal wit that crap again either.

For fall 2013:
25M
3.2 sci/3.4 overall
Shadowed a pod in office and surgery, will shadow some more soon
Great ecs, around 1000k of hours volunteering and doing research
Interested in DO as well, but leaning towards podiatry.
I'm really only interested in Scholl, Kent State and Temple.

Last edited:

I also got my AA at my local cc then went on to finish at the university. I was just accepted to kent. You should be fine. Keep up the good work! Oh and Kent is open file, at least it was for me. They didn't bring it up during the interview, it was more casual talk about getting to know me and what I know about the profession.

Hey do you think Barry still takes the DAT too? I hope so, so that would give me 2 pod schools to apply to. :/

Ok, so I've made a post already about my stats and going to pod school. But I want to specifically hone in on the ones who will take my DAT, which I believe are only NYCPM and Temple. So what are my chances with:

1.) cgpa of 3.53 and sgpa of 3.37. My DAT's are Bio 20, Chem 24, Orgo 17, TS 20, 19AA, 15 RC, 17 QR, and the s**tty one, 13 PAT, which leads to the next question.
2.) How important is the PAT to these two schools?

Thank you for patience and consideration.