This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, I have posted in a separate thread previously but am worried about my cumulative GPA. I do have a pretty large upward trend but don't know if it's even enough.
  • cGPA: 2.91 (huge upward trend, my last 60+ hours of coursework have been completed at 3.75 or higher)
  • sGPA: 3.41
*BS - Interdisciplinary Studies (2.4 GPA)

*MS - Master of Dietetics for RDN Licensure (3.8 GPA from an accredited program)

*Science pre-reqs (3.75 GPA)

*MCAT diagnostics (full length) 495 on the first and 500 on second (expecting myself to get a little higher after prep)

- RD/LD credentials
- 500 + hours as a clinical dietetic intern (direct patient interaction/charting/participating in rounds etc.)
- 400 + hours CNA (and counting)
- 2000 + hours clinical RDN (and counting)
- 50 hours shadowing MD, 25 hours (and counting) DPM shadowing
- 550 + research hours (and counting) - created a prospectus/research proposal/presentation for child nutrition programs looking into the effect of school nutrition on juvenile type 1 diabetes
- 1000 + hours - created an outreach program advocating for sound nutrition in underserved areas. I have done small events and summer education programs for the children in these areas.

Members don't see this ad.

Get around a 500 on the MCAT and you’ll get into any schools you apply to. No need to worry

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I have posted in a separate thread previously but am worried about my cumulative GPA. I do have a pretty large upward trend but don't know if it's even enough.
  • cGPA: 2.91 (huge upward trend, my last 60+ hours of coursework have been completed at 3.75 or higher)
  • sGPA: 3.41
*BS - Interdisciplinary Studies (2.4 GPA)

*MS - Master of Dietetics for RDN Licensure (3.8 GPA from an accredited program)

*Science pre-reqs (3.75 GPA)

*MCAT diagnostics (full length) 495 on the first and 500 on second (expecting myself to get a little higher after prep)

- RD/LD credentials
- 500 + hours as a clinical dietetic intern (direct patient interaction/charting/participating in rounds etc.)
- 400 + hours CNA (and counting)
- 2000 + hours clinical RDN (and counting)
- 50 hours shadowing MD, 25 hours (and counting) DPM shadowing
- 550 + research hours (and counting) - created a prospectus/research proposal/presentation for child nutrition programs looking into the effect of school nutrition on juvenile type 1 diabetes
- 1000 + hours - created an outreach program advocating for sound nutrition in underserved areas. I have done small events and summer education programs for the children in these areas.

Focus on the mcat; you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Could you say me what is my chances in all pod school, but especially BUSPM?

GPA=sGPA=3.93
MCAT 491
Medical Scribe 200h
Volunteer non clinical 70h
Shadowing 50h

Hi! Could you say me what is my chances in all pod school, but especially BUSPM?

GPA=sGPA=3.93
MCAT 491
Medical Scribe 200h
Shadowing 50h
You are unfortunately likely to receive some fairly aggressive responses telling you that you are throwing your life away. The simple truth is you will be accepted probably to almost every school you apply to because podiatry acceptance standards are pitifully low. Barry essentially will accept anyone with a pulse. Podiatry schools as of late have almost no applicants because people are realizing what a raw deal it is ie. overpriced, pay too low, job opportunities and scope too limited, better options available. The past 2 years have had some of the lowest applications rates in decades - overall matriculation is down by like 200 matriculations or something absurd like that.

Outsider looking in on your situation - it feels like the course of your life is about to be dictated by your MCAT. If you had an MCAT over 500 you'd presumably be trying to use that awesome GPA to aim for more desireable options.

If you haven't shadowed a podiatrist you should do so. I'm personally skeptical a student can actually see what their future will entail doing that, but its still always worth doing before applying.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

GPA=sGPA=3.93
MCAT 491
Medical Scribe 200h
Shadowing 50h

You will get multiple acceptances. Remember to shadow first then submit an app. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
You are unfortunately likely to receive some fairly aggressive responses telling you that you are throwing your life away. The simple truth is you will be accepted probably to almost every school you apply to because podiatry acceptance standards are pitifully low. Barry essentially will accept anyone with a pulse. Podiatry schools as of late have almost no applicants because people are realizing what a raw deal it is ie. overpriced, pay too low, job opportunities and scope too limited, better options available. The past 2 years have had some of the lowest applications rates in decades - overall matriculation is down by like 200 matriculations or something absurd like that.

Outsider looking in on your situation - it feels like the course of your life is about to be dictated by your MCAT. If you had an MCAT over 500 you'd presumably be trying to use that awesome GPA to aim for more desireable options.

If you haven't shadowed a podiatrist you should do so. I'm personally skeptical a student can actually see what their future will entail doing that, but its still always worth doing before applying.
Thank you! Can I pm you?

I saw the recent stats... can't believe it's numbers have gone down so much

hat are my chances? please help!! my top choice is scholl. i’m really worried. please give me insight on where i stand.
cGPA: 3.91
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 485
  • Dean’s List for Academic Excellence x6 (Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023)
  • University Blood Drive Coordinator
  • [Almost 600 hours] Previously Vice President, now President of Tri-Beta Society (Honors biology sorority)
  • [150 hours] President of Philosophy Organization
  • [200 hours] Math and reading tutor at a school (underfunded school in a poverty area, lack of teachers so I filled in a tutor)
  • [100 hours] Clinic manager at a clinic (clinic offering free healthcare services to underprivileged and uninsured individuals)
  • [300 hours] Summer Research Program at local medical college (2022)
  • [Projected hours are 300 hours] Currently in another Summer Research Program at local medical college (working on a qualitative study project and will present a poster presentation on 08/04/23 and will work on manuscript writing)
  • [250 hours] Volunteering at two different hospitals
  • Student Athlete, member of the women’s Golf team, previously also in cross country.
  • Lab-assistant at local hospital for 6-7 months
  • Business intern at a gas station (worked on paperwork and inventory)
  • 24 hours shadowing family medicine physician
  • 20-30 hours virtual shadowing different specialties and physicians
  • 30 hours currently of shadowing various different physicians at local medical college through the research program.
  • Shadowed podiatrist through RFU’s Shadowing Session (1 hour)
  • LORs: 1 biochemistry professor, 1 microbiology professor, 1 doctor, 1 humanities professor
@medicinemary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your MCAT score is too low. People can take the MCAT cold turkey with no prep and score what you scored.

You will get in somewhere even with that score. There are an abundance of open seats at all colleges this year.

The goal is to get in and stay in. If you struggle with standardized testing, or went to a school with easy grading policy and it did not translate to standardized testing well- you will continue to struggle with board exams in podiatry school.

Regardless of the profession you decide to pick MD/DO/DPM, you absolutely need to sit down and dedicate 2-3 months to MCAT prep to get that score higher.

There is no excuse for a score that low. Your CV does not make up for low standardized testing.

Edit: Sounds harsh but the last thing I want to happen to you is this: Imagine you get in to a podiatry school. You get through 1st and 2nd year with flying colors. You sit for APMLE Part 1. You fail it. You retake it again in Sep/October whatever the 2nd test date is. You struggle and despite your best cannot figure out why. You fail it again. You are now going to have to repeat a year and sit back from going onto clerkships with your class. You will now graduate with the class under you or risk getting kicked out completely after a failed 3rd attempt.

You do not want to be in that situation. Standardized testing does not end with the MCAT. You have APMLE Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. You have ABFAS Qualification exams. You have ABPM exams. It does not end with the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
hat are my chances? please help!! my top choice is scholl. i’m really worried. please give me insight on where i stand.
  • Dean’s List for Academic Excellence x6 (Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023)
  • [Almost 600 hours] Previously Vice President, now President of Tri-Beta Society (Honors biology sorority)
  • [200 hours] Math and reading tutor at a school (underfunded school in a poverty area, lack of teachers so I filled in a tutor)
  • [100 hours] Clinic manager at a clinic (clinic offering free healthcare services to underprivileged and uninsured individuals)
  • [Projected hours are 300 hours] Currently in another Summer Research Program at local medical college (working on a qualitative study project and will present a poster presentation on 08/04/23 and will work on manuscript writing)
  • Student Athlete, member of the women’s Golf team, previously also in cross country.
  • 30 hours currently of shadowing various different physicians at local medical college through the research program.
  • LORs: 1 biochemistry professor, 1 microbiology professor, 1 doctor, 1 humanities professor
@medicinemary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your MCAT score is too low. People can take the MCAT cold turkey with no prep and score what you scored.

You will get in somewhere even with that score. There are an abundance of open seats at all colleges this year.

The goal is to get in and stay in. If you struggle with standardized testing, or went to a school with easy grading policy and it did not translate to standardized testing well- you will continue to struggle with board exams in podiatry school.

Regardless of the profession you decide to pick MD/DO/DPM, you absolutely need to sit down and dedicate 2-3 months to MCAT prep to get that score higher.

There is no excuse for a score that low. Your CV does not make up for low standardized testing.

Edit: Sounds harsh but the last thing I want to happen to you is this: Imagine you get in to a podiatry school. You get through 1st and 2nd year with flying colors. You sit for APMLE Part 1. You fail it. You retake it again in Sep/October whatever the 2nd test date is. You struggle and despite your best cannot figure out why. You fail it again. You are now going to have to repeat a year and sit back from going onto clerkships with your class. You will now graduate with the class under you or risk getting kicked out completely after a failed 3rd attempt.

You do not want to be in that situation. Standardized testing does not end with the MCAT. You have APMLE Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. You have ABFAS Qualification exams. You have ABPM exams. It does not end with the MCAT.

thank you so much for your advice! i’ll definitely work on that. also, how many dpm shadowing hours would you recommend? and with the stats i have currently - do you think i’ll even get that far in the process with scholl based on your expertise?

@medicinemary

just saw the edit. i totally understand! thank you for your help. that’s exactly the type of advice i needed!!

Hi! I need desperate advice… please no judgement just advice! I have a 3.1 undergrad gpa, 3.7 masters gpa in biomedical science and a 482 MCAT… what are my chances at getting into a podiatry school ?? Any advice will help! I’m avoiding retaking the mcat. if there’s a shot I’ll take it. Thanks !

@neeks123

Your GPA is good, but the MCAT is on the lower end. Anything can be possible and your best bet is to apply to the bigger schools such as Kent, Temple, New York, etc. If in doubt, retake the MCAT and improve it. Even a small improvement can show your determination and the selecting committee can see your progress. Here, someone got in to Kent with a 488 MCAT in 2020 and the chances are probably even better nowadays with the opening of two more schools. The schools will either accept you right away after the interview or give you conditional acceptance (saying they can accept certain score if you can retake the MCAT, highly doubt it though). In other words, you have a decent chance. That's just my take on this.

@MoostashPod

I will graduate undergrad with a 3.2cGPA 3.0sGPA Biomed major and take my MCAT in May.

EC: 2000+ hours CNA, Scholarship chair for fraternity 2 years, Certified EKG tech, 50 non-pod shadowing hours. Start shadowing DPM next week.

Will be applying this coming summer and want to know what my chances are. Top schools are Temple, Kent State, and DMU.

Any suggestions are also greatly appreciated

@gs123.

Please keep all what are my chances related postings to this thread.

You'll get in to Temple and Kent State no problem. You have the stats for them and they'll literally take you in (with probably some scholarships) as long as you have a pulse. DMU would be the best out of the three you've chosen. It's a smaller class and they choose candidates more wisely (better stats) and early with their rolling admissions. Wise to get all the ducks in order and done early (Shadowing, letter of recommendations, etc.) The first two schools will have plenty of seats open even after the cycle ends. Crush the mcat and you'll get in somewhere.

@MoostashPod