What are my chances at matching Ophthalmology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
His PD is 100% right. 258 step 1 has 0 benefit from step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

His PD is 100% right. 258 step 1 has 0 benefit from step 2.

I'm not really talking about benefit, Zeke. If you did well on Step 1 you should do well on Step 2. The reasons you wouldn't take it-fear of bombing it, laziness, being clinically weaker-are not really legitimate. I had his same Step 1 and took Step 2 before applying. The only people that really have an excuse are from the handful of schools that take Step 1 after 3rd year or those that have really crazy 4th year schedules (which is almost no one). Also, it's really nice to have it out of the way, and PDs do like seeing it, though it is less important. I agree that it will not get him any bonus interviews, no matter his score. I'm only saying to consider taking it if he's (the OP) been doing well on NBME exams (Step 1 and shelf) and can fit it in. Just my 2 cents-I'm sure most people will tell him to be cautious and not take it.

I'm not really talking about benefit, Zeke. If you did well on Step 1 you should do well on Step 2. The reasons you wouldn't take it-fear of bombing it, laziness, being clinically weaker-are not really legitimate. I had his same Step 1 and took Step 2 before applying. The only people that really have an excuse are from the handful of schools that take Step 1 after 3rd year or those that have really crazy 4th year schedules (which is almost no one). Also, it's really nice to have it out of the way, and PDs do like seeing it, though it is less important. I agree that it will not get him any bonus interviews, no matter his score. I'm only saying to consider taking it if he's (the OP) been doing well on NBME exams (Step 1 and shelf) and can fit it in. Just my 2 cents-I'm sure most people will tell him to be cautious and not take it.

You have some good points, but why stress over it if you don't technically have to and it's not gonna hurt you to take it in January?

Members don't see this ad :)

I think you perform better when it is done closer to the end of third year, but if you bomb it, which does happen, it could hurt your application. Is the risk worth it? I think shelf exams are pretty good predictors, and I would recommend for people to take it if they have generally done well in their shelfs.

Do not take step 2 early if you have 250+ step 1. Would you undergo a surgery if the benefit was minimal and risk it just to get it out of the way? You can still do the take it late September and report the score if its good strategy.

Reactions: 3 users
Please don't take Step 2 if your Step 1 is a 258. The cardinal rule of matching should be do everything you can to look good and do absolutely nothing that might make you look bad. It's a simple matter of risk vs benefit. Sure, you might hit it out of the park again and score a 270. But anyone can have a bad day and bomb a test, and if you get even a 245 on Step 2, that'll just make your Step 1 look like a fluke and not the other way around. And the benefit you'd get from a really great score is ... really not that much more than rolling in with a 258, which is already a really great score.

Which leads me to this point: 258 will earn plenty of respect on the trail, and you don't need to strive for anything more. Don't get misled by SDN, where everyone ostensibly has a 260+. I had a step 1 several points lower than yours and was still told repeatedly, even at top-tier programs, that I had a fantastic score.

Edit: changed language to be a little less bombastic :) Sorry, got carried away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Please don't take Step 2 if your Step 1 is a 258. The cardinal rule of matching should be do everything you can to look good and do absolutely nothing that might make you look bad. It's a simple matter of risk vs benefit. Sure, you might hit it out of the park again and score a 270. But anyone can have a bad day and bomb a test, and if you get even a 245 on Step 2, that'll just make your Step 1 look like a fluke and not the other way around. And the benefit you'd get from a really great score is ... really not that much more than rolling in with a 258, which is already a really great score.

Which leads me to this point: 258 will earn plenty of respect on the trail, and you don't need to strive for anything more. Don't get misled by SDN, where everyone ostensibly has a 260+. I had a step 1 several points lower than yours and was still told repeatedly, even at top-tier programs, that I had a fantastic score.

Edit: changed language to be a little less bombastic :) Sorry, got carried away.

YES YES YES. what he said!!!! Seriously.

Reactions: 1 user