What are my chances at matching Ophthalmology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDO2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student here, and yes I am starting the age old thread of "what are my chances?" but I've been a SDN member for years and have posted less than 4 times total so I figured I'll put it out there. Just applied yesterday for this coming year's ophthalmology match. Here's my stats.

School: DO school in the south
USMLE step I: 252
clinical rotations: Honors in medicine, surgery, and OBGYN....high pass in everything else
research: 2 first author publications in unrelated field ( Journal of Obesity)
preclinical grades: 3.47 gpa
applied to 68 "realistic" programs. trying to do 2-3 away rotations at realistic places.
ophthalmology clinical experience during 3rd year rotations.

any opinions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I've probably heard it all before so don't be afraid to hurt my feeling. I can take it...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying this year, should we have already submitted the CAS? I was under the impression that it was ok to wait until LORs were ready... Like late July or August.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on applying this year, should we have already submitted the CAS? I was under the impression that it was ok to wait until LORs were ready... Like late July or August.

I'm sure that it is fine to wait til then to apply. I had all of my materials and LOR ready now so I just submitted mine on day 1. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
DocDO2B: Your stats are fine but the DO may hurt you. For some reason most competitive specialties are partial to MD. Make sure there is a lot of stuff on your CAS that shows why you are different from everyone else and write a killer personal statement.

IfeelYourPAin: I didn't submit my CAS until late August and was fine. I remember freaking out though. I did my first rotation in July and worked on my CAS and Personal statement then. I also got letters of reference in July and early August. Interviews invite typically start very late Sept and go through Oct. Most come in Oct and Early Nov.

If you've heard it all before then this shouldn't be a surprise but the biggest thing killing your app is something you can't change - two small letters - "D.O.".

Is that a messed up reality? Yes. But it's true. Your application is not going to be looked at nearly as much as a carbon copy of it with those letters changed to "M.D."

So once we're past that, which you can't control at this point, you have to do everything possible in the realm that you can control. Get some more Ophthalmology on your application. 3rd year clinical experience isn't enough. That weakens your application substantially. So get involved in a quick clinical research project while at an away or with your home program, present a grand rounds / morning report case, etc. Just do something Ophthalmology related, even if the 'research' still says "in progress" it looks better than zilch on there.

And again, as a D.O. you've chosen wisely on doing aways at a few realistic places. Your best shot at matching in an M.D. (ACGME) residency spot is to be well known and well liked at a particular program that will rank you near the top of their list. Your best shot at making that kind of impression is at lower tiered programs in less desirable locations. There a many programs that fit that bill and have impeccable training. I can't really emphasize this enough but being a stellar candidate during an away at a less known program is your absolute best chance at matching.

Also, nobody knows where you applied so feel free to shotgun it and just apply to every program out there. Or all of them except the extreme reach programs. Of course you have to balance that with the cost of applying, but when you're looking at everything with any chance of increasing your odds... it's something.

Also, nobody knows where you applied so feel free to shotgun it and just apply to every program out there. Or all of them except the extreme reach programs. Of course you have to balance that with the cost of applying, but when you're looking at everything with any chance of increasing your odds... it's something.

This.

I have a friend who applied as a DO with a score in the high 240s... And he experienced some discrimination on the trail and even at aways. He matched at a decent middle tier program in a competitive area.

Your plan sounds good but you definitely need to apply to more programs.

This.

I have a friend who applied as a DO with a score in the high 240s... And he experienced some discrimination on the trail and even at aways. He matched at a decent middle tier program in a competitive area.

Your plan sounds good but you definitely need to apply to more programs.

Ok. Wow, I was thinking 68 programs was a large amount. I mainly left off the john hopkins type programs to get to 68 but ill look again and see if theres anything else I can add. I really appreciate the feedback. How many programs did your DO friend apply to if you dont mind my asking?

Ok. Wow, I was thinking 68 programs was a large amount. I mainly left off the john hopkins type programs to get to 68 but ill look again and see if theres anything else I can add. I really appreciate the feedback. How many programs did your DO friend apply to if you dont mind my asking?

I can ask him, but the average MD applicant applies to the number you listed above.

"And again, as a D.O. you've chosen wisely on doing aways at a few realistic places. Your best shot at matching in an M.D. (ACGME) residency spot is to be well known and well liked at a particular program that will rank you near the top of their list. Your best shot at making that kind of impression is at lower tiered programs in less desirable locations. There a many programs that fit that bill and have impeccable training. I can't really emphasize this enough but being a stellar candidate during an away at a less known program is your absolute best chance at matching."

^This

Reactions: 1 users
I'm no expert and you clearly have good scores and grades, but I think it will be a challenging match if you only apply to ophtho programs in southern california. Challenging, but not impossible. If you decide to pursue this route then it probably makes sense to apply for a backup specialty like IM… just in case.

I'm no expert and you clearly have good scores and grades, but I think it will be a challenging match if you only apply to ophtho programs in southern california. Challenging, but not impossible. If you decide to pursue this route then it probably makes sense to apply for a backup specialty like IM… just in case.

Agree with above and consider an away rotation or 2 at those programs...

Just gotta ask... why so restricted? That's a REALLY small radius. Like painfully small. I mean so-cal is basically UCSD, UCI, UCLA, USC. Two are top tier, the other two are near-top-tier. As strong as your stats are so far, every one of those schools will sift through 400+ applications very similar to yours. Probability alone is not in your favor :(

I'm not trying to be mean or rude here... just trying to convince you to maybe expand the radius a bit. If it's for family/relationship reasons, try to have a serious talk with your significant other. 3 years of long distancing is not impossible and, imho, worth it for a lifetime of job satisfaction, career advancement, and ultimately, likely a better lifestyle for you and your family.

That said, if there's another less competitive field where you will truly be just as happy as ophtho, then by all means go for it. Apply there, apply here, focus your search in So-Cal. Let the cosmic dice roll. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just gotta ask... why so restricted? That's a REALLY small radius. Like painfully small. I mean so-cal is basically UCSD, UCI, UCLA, USC. Two are top tier, the other two are near-top-tier. As strong as your stats are so far, every one of those schools will sift through 400+ applications very similar to yours. Probability alone is not in your favor :(

I'm not trying to be mean or rude here... just trying to convince you to maybe expand the radius a bit. If it's for family/relationship reasons, try to have a serious talk with your significant other. 3 years of long distancing is not impossible and, imho, worth it for a lifetime of job satisfaction, career advancement, and ultimately, likely a better lifestyle for you and your family.

That said, if there's another less competitive field where you will truly be just as happy as ophtho, then by all means go for it. Apply there, apply here, focus your search in So-Cal. Let the cosmic dice roll. :)

If you really want to be there do an away at at least one of those.

Thank you all for replies, the restriction is due to family reasons, but I will try to expand the radius to increase my chances. Elementals, thanks for advice :)

You can do an intern year pretty much wherever so SoCal should be realistic for intern year. Although it's not like you'll be home much anyway so 'family reasons' won't be any better off.

Gotta remember you're choosing between two options here:
  1. Your family makes a sacrifice by being in a different location for a few years, long distance relationship if it's an S.O., or your partner puts off their career for a few years while you finish training. I don't know what your exact situation is but again, it's three years.
  2. You make a life-long sacrifice by pursuing a career that you don't like as much as other options but have invested $200,000 into already and will invest many long hours to in the future. ...Possibly leading to dissatisfaction, resentment of your family for pushing you into a career that you hate, and a downward spiral of depression that leads to divorce or an otherwise fractured family. Being a little melodramatic but that's a story you can easily find if you tap a few attendings on the shoulder and ask them about their family life.

Is it possible to match into ophthalmology from the bottom half of your class? I found myself in the bottom half at the end of second year, and I'm not sure if even all Honors in 3rd year will pull me up. My Step 1 is a 249, I go to a mid-tier US MD school. I have one 4th author pub in ophtho from 1st and 2nd year. I feel like my rank makes me a huge outlier, and I don't know if I should just change my mind now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible to match into ophthalmology from the bottom half of your class? I found myself in the bottom half at the end of second year, and I'm not sure if even all Honors in 3rd year will pull me up. My Step 1 is a 249, I go to a mid-tier US MD school. I have one 4th author pub in ophtho from 1st and 2nd year. I feel like my rank makes me a huge outlier, and I don't know if I should just change my mind now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Clearly you are capable of doing better. Your application shows that with a 249 on step 1 and doing well in 3rd year. Step 1 represents 1st and 2nd year knowledge and studying. I think a lot of programs know that grading in 1st and 2nd year is hard to interpret depending on your school. At my med school the difference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quartile was 4-5%. Our averages were 88-91%. Depending on the number of questions on an exam what does that even mean? I don't think interviewers really want to pour over your transcript scrutinizing each grade. It's probably easier to look at a trend.

I would be prepared for the rare interviewer to ask you why. Also if you failed something or dipped down to 70s/low 80s that might raise a question.

Thanks for your advice! I have a 90% average from MS1/2 (my grades were high 80s/low 90s....never failed anything). The average in my school is 92-94%. Same at my school, the difference between top and bottom is ~5%. I'm in the third quartile, but bottom half is bottom half. I'll prepare myself for questions about it.

Thanks for your advice! I have a 90% average from MS1/2 (my grades were high 80s/low 90s....never failed anything). The average in my school is 92-94%. Same at my school, the difference between top and bottom is ~5%. I'm in the third quartile, but bottom half is bottom half. I'll prepare myself for questions about it.

With your step and those grades I would be surprised if anyone asked you anything at all. I just meant if you have an odd grade or failure that stands out... Otherwise I suspect nobody will care.

Hey everyone,
So I've been feeling a bit down lately regarding my chances of matching to ophthalmology, so if someone can lead me to either continue pursuing it or switch to a different specialty, that would be appreciated!

Step 1 score: 250
Rank after first 2 years: 76/360 = 21%
Obgyn-pass
Surgery - high pass
Anesthesia - honors
With all these clerkship grades, I keep doing horrible on the nbme. Always below average, and I have no clue why when I use all the "best" resources for each shelf. Always do uworld questions twice. My clinical evals are fine...just the nbme scores pull me down. I just received my medicine nbme result. I was confident, had done all the uworld questions twice and bam, got 2 points below average. I was hoping to honors this rotation, but looks like I won't be now.
With barely any honors in clerkships, I know I won't make AOA, and I know how important that is. These clerkships will probably hurt my rank as well.

I just recently decided on ophtho, so I don't have any ophtho research experience yet. I do have basic science/wet lab poster presentations but no publications.

I'm willing to quickly start working on an ophtho research project and will apply to every program out there. I just need to know if I have a chance. What do you guys think? Should I continue pursuing it?

Even when I'm an Attending, the above posts will never get old...

The data is fully available, and even a cursory glance will tell you your chances at "matching" are non-concerning... at all. AOA is a nice advantage if you have it.... but the 750+ people who match Ophtho are not all AOA. I wonder if your real question is can you match at the program of your choice.... which no one here can answer. I would also stop by your local friendly Dean's office and ask about the stats of former ophtho applicants from your home institution and where they matched.

So yes, you have a chance. And before you respond, I would do a SDN search, unless you are from the caribbean there is nothing unique about your particular situation that hasn't been addressed multiple times before. so you probably won't get a lot of replies, but you can take solace in the fact that the SDN institutional memory is more than adequate to motivate you to continue pursuing Ophtho

I think you should be be fine. Albeit, I am going through the process myself, so I'm not expert. But, it seems like the ophtho, for whatever reason, doesn't put as much emphasis on clinical grades. I've heard that quite a bit. But on the other side I've also heard that some people think it is super important for ophtho apps.

Translation: I think it's hard to know the exact emphasis for clinical grades in ophtho. But I can say that schools have wildly different grading scales. My school is pretty stringent in terms of its grading, so I'm hoping that clinical grades are n't too important (the shelfs get me too)

Hey everyone,
So I've been feeling a bit down lately regarding my chances of matching to ophthalmology, so if someone can lead me to either continue pursuing it or switch to a different specialty, that would be appreciated!

Step 1 score: 250
Rank after first 2 years: 76/360 = 21%
Obgyn-pass
Surgery - high pass
Anesthesia - honors
With all these clerkship grades, I keep doing horrible on the nbme. Always below average, and I have no clue why when I use all the "best" resources for each shelf. Always do uworld questions twice. My clinical evals are fine...just the nbme scores pull me down. I just received my medicine nbme result. I was confident, had done all the uworld questions twice and bam, got 2 points below average. I was hoping to honors this rotation, but looks like I won't be now.
With barely any honors in clerkships, I know I won't make AOA, and I know how important that is. These clerkships will probably hurt my rank as well.

I just recently decided on ophtho, so I don't have any ophtho research experience yet. I do have basic science/wet lab poster presentations but no publications.

I'm willing to quickly start working on an ophtho research project and will apply to every program out there. I just need to know if I have a chance. What do you guys think? Should I continue pursuing it?

Hmm. From what I've been told and have read, clinical grades matter more, particularly IM and surgery. I think it makes more sense because most schools take the shelf exams, which are compared to the rest of the nation. If anything this makes it easier to compare between applicants from different schools, though there are always a few bad apple attendings who give low evals across the board. Not sure how much programs care about other rotation grades.

Hmm. From what I've been told and have read, clinical grades matter more, particularly IM and surgery. I think it makes more sense because most schools take the shelf exams, which are compared to the rest of the nation. If anything this makes it easier to compare between applicants from different schools, though there are always a few bad apple attendings who give low evals across the board. Not sure how much programs care about other rotation grades.

Just to weigh in... My school had our shelf count for 25-30% of our grade. And our shelf averages were low to mid 70s. I don't know what that means. Is that normal? I don't know. I think bottom of the barrel clinical grades and/or negative comments are really bad. If you have a step of 250 and glowing letters you're probably fine.

Hi guys, got another one for you. Thanks in advance for any responses/advice.

USMLE step I: High 240s
Clinical rotations (my main concern):
  • High pass in neuro, psych
  • Pass in surgery
  • Still have medicine, family med, OB, peds to go
Research: Will have 2 publications by the time I apply (1 ophtho, 1 neurosurgery)
School: Top 25 MD school
Preclinical grades: All pass (pass/fail school)
Planning on applying to ~60 programs

So my aside from wondering if I will match, I was also thinking of possibly doing a research year to bolster my application. I'm not picky about getting into a top notch residency or only choosing programs in desirable cities. I'm also having some trouble finding potential letter writers. Our program is set up so that we finish 3rd year in July, which only gives me one month to do an ophtho rotation to get a letter. I am doing ophtho research but I barely have any contact with my PI and mainly work with a research coordinator. I'd like to get some shadowing in but that's pretty difficult with rotations in full swing.

Just to weigh in... My school had our shelf count for 25-30% of our grade. And our shelf averages were low to mid 70s. I don't know what that means. Is that normal? I don't know. I think bottom of the barrel clinical grades and/or negative comments are really bad. If you have a step of 250 and glowing letters you're probably fine.

I suppose it varies. At my school you have to get top quartile on the shelf to even be considered for Honors. This equates to about an 80% raw score or greater (weighted by quartile since scores increase as the year goes on). So, if you're honoring most of the year then not only are you getting good evals but you're consistently doing better than people from other schools. Low-mid 70's would be about national average, so that sounds right for an entire class of students.

I suppose it varies. At my school you have to get top quartile on the shelf to even be considered for Honors. This equates to about an 80% raw score or greater (weighted by quartile since scores increase as the year goes on). So, if you're honoring most of the year then not only are you getting good evals but you're consistently doing better than people from other schools. Low-mid 70's would be about national average, so that sounds right for an entire class of students.

My school didn't have honors...

Anyways, just goes to show you the variability between schools. Precisely for that reason, I still don't know that programs pay a lot of attention. I do think step 1 is the great equalizer and AOA goes a long way. If you don't have AOA then having someone mention in your deans letter a high class standing is always great, but IMHO for grades it's often the extremes that are most noticed. Everything in between is "whatever".

I'm still confused by AOA. It's essentially a reiteration of class rank at most places, and usually determined by preclinical grades. Step 1 is a better way to compare between schools. Anyway, for those applying now, here's a career advising resource. It seems to say that step 1, 3rd year grades, letters, and research are weighed the most, AOA and ECs next. http://meded.ucsf.edu/ume/career-information-ophthalmology

I'm still confused by AOA. It's essentially a reiteration of class rank at most places, and usually determined by preclinical grades. Step 1 is a better way to compare between schools. Anyway, for those applying now, here's a career advising resource. It seems to say that step 1, 3rd year grades, letters, and research are weighed the most, AOA and ECs next. http://meded.ucsf.edu/ume/career-information-ophthalmology

Each school has different criteria for AOA, and some places induct junior year, or senior year or both... Some schools don't even have AOA.

Resources like that are helpful. However, I find them discouraging. It's important to realize if your application isn't perfect it's not doomed. And these "what are my chances threads" often contain great applicants with a minor weakness that may or may not be important. And the OPs are usually freaking out...

It's important for those people to know that they may have a great chance in the match. Step 1 is an amazing strength and doing poorly is hard to overcome. That's for sure. Average, grades are not hard to overcome with a great step 1. I was never once asked about my grades in an interview and I had a mix of places that I went to. A borderline step 1 can always be offset with interesting extracurriculars and research. That's been my personal experience.

Each school has different criteria for AOA, and some places induct junior year, or senior year or both... Some schools don't even have AOA.

Resources like that are helpful. However, I find them discouraging. It's important to realize if your application isn't perfect it's not doomed. And these "what are my chances threads" often contain great applicants with a minor weakness that may or may not be important. And the OPs are usually freaking out...

It's important for those people to know that they may have a great chance in the match. Step 1 is an amazing strength and doing poorly is hard to overcome. That's for sure. Average, grades are not hard to overcome with a great step 1. I was never once asked about my grades in an interview and I had a mix of places that I went to. A borderline step 1 can always be offset with interesting extracurriculars and research. That's been my personal experience.

Second this. I scored <215 and did not match the first time around. Strengthened my application this year with multiple new research projects (meaningful ones, however still only one publication out of five ongoing projects), did well at an away rotation (after not matching), kept working hard, got all Honors through the fourth year of clinicals after starting out mediocre in third year, and now have 15 interviews this year (a few at "top 20" programs, whatever that means) and feel great about matching.

So I have to laugh a little bit whenever I see these posts. Step 1 is the screen (that took me 2 years to mitigate due to my poor score), and once you get past it, you will get enough interviews to match, even with minimal experience. A step 1 of 250, top 20% of class, with minimal research and even mediocre clinical grades should get your foot in the door somewhere, most likely a solid middle tier program at the least.

Second this. I scored <215 and did not match the first time around. Strengthened my application this year with multiple new research projects (meaningful ones, however still only one publication out of five ongoing projects), did well at an away rotation (after not matching), kept working hard, got all Honors through the fourth year of clinicals after starting out mediocre in third year, and now have 15 interviews this year (a few at "top 20" programs, whatever that means) and feel great about matching.

So I have to laugh a little bit whenever I see these posts. Step 1 is the screen (that took me 2 years to mitigate due to my poor score), and once you get past it, you will get enough interviews to match, even with minimal experience. A step 1 of 250, top 20% of class, with minimal research and even mediocre clinical grades should get your foot in the door somewhere, most likely a solid middle tier program at the least.

Since I originally started this post I thought I should chime in. USMLE scores are great and all and will get you plenty of interviews IF you are a US senior. If you happen to be a DO or IMG then don't expect great usmle to get you very much in ophthalmology. I scored above 250 on step 1 and 2 and only got 4 interviews.

assuming you are not looking at aoa ophtho?

Since I originally started this post I thought I should chime in. USMLE scores are great and all and will get you plenty of interviews IF you are a US senior. If you happen to be a DO or IMG then don't expect great usmle to get you very much in ophthalmology. I scored above 250 on step 1 and 2 and only got 4 interviews.

Dust curious... Did you do any away rotations at MD ophtho programs? Did you do research at any MD programs or get letters from any MD ophthalmologists?

Dust curious... Did you do any away rotations at MD ophtho programs? Did you do research at any MD programs or get letters from any MD ophthalmologists?
yes to all. Did 3 md program aways, did ophthalmology research and got a letter from the md ophthalmologists from the research.

yes to all. Did 3 md program aways, did ophthalmology research and got a letter from the md ophthalmologists from the research.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Well, I've known 2 amazing people who matched with 4 interviews, so good luck!

Yes. Good luck! Hope you match as it sounds like you will be a great addition to ophthalmology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, got another one for you. Thanks in advance for any responses/advice.

USMLE step I: High 240s
Clinical rotations (my main concern):
  • High pass in neuro, psych
  • Pass in surgery
  • Still have medicine, family med, OB, peds to go
Research: Will have 2 publications by the time I apply (1 ophtho, 1 neurosurgery)
School: Top 25 MD school
Preclinical grades: All pass (pass/fail school)
Planning on applying to ~60 programs

So my aside from wondering if I will match, I was also thinking of possibly doing a research year to bolster my application. I'm not picky about getting into a top notch residency or only choosing programs in desirable cities. I'm also having some trouble finding potential letter writers. Our program is set up so that we finish 3rd year in July, which only gives me one month to do an ophtho rotation to get a letter. I am doing ophtho research but I barely have any contact with my PI and mainly work with a research coordinator. I'd like to get some shadowing in but that's pretty difficult with rotations in full swing.

Shameless self bump. If anyone could offer some advice about getting letters of rec or possibly taking a year off that would be much appreciated as well.

Don't take a year for research, a whole year is a long time, and you both have research and don't have a specific reason to be worried about not matching. I feel iffy about pre-emptive research years all together, they certainly can help, but are not a frequently travelled road in ophtho. For your letters - get one off your rotation, try to get one from your PI anyway and maybe set up a few appointments in next few months to actually get face time with him/her (you have time), and get one from a non-ophtho rotation (medicine, surgery, peds, etc, whatever --- whoever is going to write you the best one).

Last edited:
Hi, I'm bumping this thread to get some advice for myself

MS3 at mid-tier MD school in the southeast
Went to undergrad in the southeast as well

Step 1: 258
Step 2: not taken yet

Pre-clinical grades: all pass (p/f school)
Third year grades:
Honors: Ob/Gyn, medicine
High Pass: Peds
TBD: surgery, psych, neuro, family, emergency medicine

AOA - probably not, as I'll likely end up in second quartile

Research: Will have 1 first author pub (non-ophtho), 1 poster presentation (non-ophtho), 1 first author ophtho case report, 1 third author ophtho pub, 1st author ophtho chapter, and involvement in a few other projects without pubs to this point

ECs: Minimal. A few minor leadership positions. Some involvement with ophtho volunteering.

Please share any thoughts you have about my application and chances. After talking with the PD at my home institution, I'm planning to take Step 2 after application will be turned in so that programs won't see it. I'm currently trying to figure out where to do away rotations (or if I should do them), so any advice about that would be appreciated as well. I knThanks everyone.

I think you're fine to match mid tier programs in your area. The top places especially far away will be difficult but not impossible.

Dsa321 I think you are Good to match.
Regarding away rotations- it's a great way to shine if you are good at network and don't step on any toes. It's a great way to get on the radar at higher end programs that may not have looked at your app for geographical or w/e reasons.
But remember if you don't think you can shine on the rotation then I would recommend you don't do it because you will definitely risk your interview from the program you did you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, I think you're fine.

Try to Honor surgery if at all possible, and obviously H/HP as many of the rest as you can. But you're in good shape... just apply broadly and don't fall into the trap of dropping too many 'safety' interviews for top tier ones. Top tier schools (and even near-top tier schools) almost always match medical students from top tier schools unless you're TRULY exceptional, so don't put all your eggs in that basket!

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice as well.

Step 1: 242

Pre-clinical grades: 3.7 gpa
Third year grades:
A in peds
B in ob/gyn and family
pending: IM, surgery, neuro, psych

AOA - probably not

Research: Poster presentation in unrelated field; possible abstract/poster presentation in ophthalmology by application time

ECs: Minimal. Some volunteering at free clinics.

I'm looking for any advice on if I have a decent chance at matching ophtho. Thank you!

Third year grades:
A in peds
B in ob/gyn and family

AOA - probably not

Research: Poster presentation in unrelated field; possible abstract/poster presentation in ophthalmology by application time

I'm looking for any advice on if I have a decent chance at matching ophtho. Thank you!
Your application sounds very similar to mine. I matched at my #3. Be smart with applying; be sure to hit a bunch of programs in each tier. I chose to do CK early. Work hard for strong letters. Do anything you can do to get a publication or two by application time. Strongly consider aways. Start on your personal statement today.

PM me with any questions. Good luck.

One really important thing for new applicants to realize is that so many other applicants have "similar" applications. That is always an issue in a competitive field. At the time of my application cycle (both for ophtho and intern year), I wondered if it was mainly luck and strong letters that got me matched into great places. But now, after going through/talking with people who didn't match this year, I realize that I actually did have a unique application (in hobbies, leadership, research) which made me stand out on interview day (with my scores and grades being similar to the person sitting next to me). A little volunteering doesn't cut it anymore. Nor does one case report. Especially if you come from an average medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
One really important thing for new applicants to realize is that so many other applicants have "similar" applications. That is always an issue in a competitive field. At the time of my application cycle (both for ophtho and intern year), I wondered if it was mainly luck and strong letters that got me matched into great places. But now, after going through/talking with people who didn't match this year, I realize that I actually did have a unique application (in hobbies, leadership, research) which made me stand out on interview day (with my scores and grades being similar to the person sitting next to me). A little volunteering doesn't cut it anymore. Nor does one case report. Especially if you come from an average medical school.
Good points.

Third year grades:
A in peds
B in ob/gyn and family

AOA - probably not

I think you stand a fair chance, but you are going to have to apply pretty aggressively. I'm from a pretty average school and our class had a rough year. Suffice it to say having a slightly below average step 1 will not prevent you from matching, but it will likely limit your interviews to a degree. Try to get more research. I know it will be hard, but having a strong cv is important especially if you are from an average school. Try to get A's in as many of your 3rd year rotations as possible. These can definitely make or break your application, though I don't think a couple of b's are the end of the world. Do your aways at mid to low tier institutions (not that any residency is truly deficient, some are hidden gems in comparison to their big name counterparts). You are more likely to match at an average residency, so it behooves you to express interest in this way. Consider doing 2-3 aways. Before your aways, be sure to learn how to use the equipment and work-up patients at your home institution (I know this varies on whether you have a home program). If not, try to create an elective with a local ophthalmologist who is willing to teach you the ropes. Consider taking step 2 early. Advice might vary on this, but if you do well (255+) it might benefit you. Shelf exam scores are usually a good predictor of step 2 performance, which can help you make your decision. I imagine the average step 1 will be at least 244 this year, and it will probably go up again your year. I don't want to discourage you, but I want you to have a realistic set of goals in mind. I would apply to 70-80+ programs. Also, I would consider applying to a back up specialty in the NRMP. A lot of students have a lot of difficulty figuring out what to do if they don't match to ophthalmology. If you apply to something as a backup you can be significantly more relaxed during the Ophtho match. Best of luck! I know it is hard, but try to go beast mode for the next year of your life, and you will have a much better shot of matching. Also, try to have fun in the process. My ophthalmology rotations were so much more fun and enjoyable than the rest of medical school. You can really have fun while working hard.

Hi, I'm bumping this thread to get some advice for myself

Went to undergrad in the southeast as well

Step 1: 258
Step 2: not taken yet

Pre-clinical grades: all pass (p/f school)
Third year grades:
Honors: Ob/Gyn, medicine
High Pass: Peds
TBD: surgery, psych, neuro, family, emergency medicine

AOA - probably not, as I'll likely end up in second quartile

Research: Will have 1 first author pub (non-ophtho), 1 poster presentation (non-ophtho), 1 first author ophtho case report, 1 third author ophtho pub, 1st author ophtho chapter, and involvement in a few other projects without pubs to this point

ECs: Minimal. A few minor leadership positions. Some involvement with ophtho volunteering.

Please share any thoughts you have about my application and chances. After talking with the PD at my home institution, I'm planning to take Step 2 after application will be turned in so that programs won't see it. I'm currently trying to figure out where to do away rotations (or if I should do them), so any advice about that would be appreciated as well. I knThanks everyone.

I essentially had your application but go to an unranked school with no home program. I also had 258 and 2nd quartile, similar research with some basic science pubs added in, and honored 5/7 core rotations (hopefully you can finish with a few more H). I had lots of interviews, a few upper tier, and matched to one of my favorite programs. Your odds of matching are good. I did aways and I would suggest aways to most people, especially if you don't have a strong (or any) home program. If you're a normal person, nice, and study hard (ophthobook alone is enough) before the rotations you will come off very well. You aren't expected to know much, just be interested and normal, with hopefully some basic knowledge of differentials. I would choose my aways carefully. Schools in your region that favor rotators include Storm/MUSC (actually asked why I hadn't rotated at the interview), UF, Emory, and UNC. Places that won't care include Bascom, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Baylor. You can still get the interview at the latter programs (I actually rotated and interviewed at one), but they won't give you preference solely because you did so. My away program interviewed only a few rotators. Of the aforementioned programs I highly recommend Storm and UF. Awesome programs, nice people, different but both good cities for quality of life. I also recommend going out of region for an away. Why did your PD tell you to delay Step 2 so that it won't be seen? I don't like that attitude.