What are my chances and next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fummer83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am at US Med School and Im interested in Dermatology as a career (Im deciding between Derm and Ophthalmology). I am currently doing research in Ophtho. I do not have a derm rotation.

I just wanted to see how good my chances are for getting into a derm residency. My first two years, I got a mostly of honors grades and the rest were high pass. I just got a 270 on my boards. I dont have any derm related activities yet and I cant do research in it, because Im doing it in Ophtho...I just dont want my interest in ophtho to preclude a career in dermatology...

What do you guys think of my chances in derm and what should I be doing in the meantime to further my chances in both fields until I know which one I would like to pursue fully.
Thanks for any and all input!! I appreciate your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!
I am a beginning MSIII at a US Med School and Im interested in Dermatology as a career (Im deciding between Derm and Ophthalmology). I am currently doing research in Ophtho and have an ophtho rotation at the end of my third year. I do not have a derm rotation (but I want to do one at the beginning of 4th year).

I just wanted to see how good my chances are for getting into a derm residency. My first two years, I got a mostly of honors grades and the rest were high pass. I did research at the NIH last summer in an unrelated field, and I just got a 271 on my boards. I dont have any derm related activities yet and I cant do research in it, because Im doing it in Ophtho...I just dont want my interest in ophtho to preclude a career in dermatology...

What do you guys think of my chances in derm and what should I be doing in the meantime to further my chances in both fields until I know which one I would like to pursue fully.
Thanks for any and all input!! I appreciate your help
I couldn't say what your chances are, because you really haven't decided what field you want yet. I think if you where to apply that it could go ether way. Like going to a club and hitting on 2 girls at the same time, both of these girls might see threw what you are doing and you might end up going home alone. In dating good looks (i.e. hi boards) can only go so far. Especially at the more elite clubs there well be other more well rounded suitors, ie hi boards maybe not as high as yours, but with derm research, connections, and a an application that shows a commitment to derm. I'd recommend doing a derm rotation or some shadowing and seeing if derm is for you, and then maybe you could commit to one or the other. Or maybe your game is so tight you could hook up with both girls at the club if you wanted, us mear mortals just don't have it like that.

According to the match outcomes there are those with 260+ who don't match, I don't know about those with 270+. But do you want to be one of these statistics. Don't underestimate how important connnections are in this small field. One poster on the dermboard said this "Like all small groups of professionals, personal connections can make or break you. It's a political game. Play it or risk not matching."

I couldn't say what your chances are, because you really haven't decided what field you want yet. I think if you where to apply that it could go ether way. Like going to a club and hitting on 2 girls at the same time, both of these girls might see threw what you are doing and you might end up going home alone. In dating good looks (i.e. hi boards) can only go so far. Especially at the more elite clubs there well be other more well rounded suitors, ie hi boards maybe not as high as yours, but with derm research, connections, and a an application that shows a commitment to derm. I'd recommend doing a derm rotation or some shadowing and seeing if derm is for you, and then maybe you could commit to one or the other. Or maybe your game is so tight you could hook up with both girls at the club if you wanted, us mear mortals just don't have it like that.

According to the match outcomes there are those with 260+ who don't match, I don't know about those with 270+. But do you want to be one of these statistics. Don't underestimate how important connnections are in this small field. One poster on the dermboard said this "Like all small groups of professionals, personal connections can make or break you. It's a political game. Play it or risk not matching."

well put, long dong. i like those hooking up with ppl analogies. :laugh:

well put, long dong. i like those hooking up with ppl analogies. :laugh:

You like that, I've been watching too much of the pickup artist on vh1.:D

Man I love this show.