Nextech = worst EMR EVER! Do NOT waste your money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAM4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nextech is the absolute worst product on the market. They are full of false promises, terrible customer service, and a product that looks and functions like it's from the dark ages. When we asked why CPT code global periods weren't something the system already had programmed in, we were told we'd have to enter those global periods by hand for every CPT code we wanted. We were originally told it would be best to pull in templates from another practice, but that was a disaster. Then we were told to just wipe those and start over. We paid for a consultant to come to our office who then told us she was hired to clean up the mess, but she really hadn't gotten that far yet. We were then told we'd be assigned someone who would help get things in order. Instead, she said the only thing she could do was train someone to be a super user, which was also completely disorganized and unhelpful. Finally, we were told we'd hear back from the SVP of sales, Jim Mullen, within 2 days to decide where to go from here. That was 1.5 weeks ago and we haven't heard from anyone despite our multiple attempts to reach out. If any one is even considering this product, please contact me directly via email at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Nextech is the absolute worst product on the market. They are full of false promises, terrible customer service, and a product that looks and functions like it's from the dark ages. When we asked why CPT code global periods weren't something the system already had programmed in, we were told we'd have to enter those global periods by hand for every CPT code we wanted. We were originally told it would be best to pull in templates from another practice, but that was a disaster. Then we were told to just wipe those and start over. We paid for a consultant to come to our office who then told us she was hired to clean up the mess, but she really hadn't gotten that far yet. We were then told we'd be assigned someone who would help get things in order. Instead, she said the only thing she could do was train someone to be a super user, which was also completely disorganized and unhelpful. Finally, we were told we'd hear back from the SVP of sales, Jim Mullen, within 2 days to decide where to go from here. That was 1.5 weeks ago and we haven't heard from anyone despite our multiple attempts to reach out. If any one is even considering this product, please contact me directly via email at [email protected]

This seems like an odd place to post those kinds of comments since you represent a plastic surgery group. This thread will be on a short leash.

Yes, IMO also, Nextech has a decent practice management system but leaves much to be desired as an EMR. Although in truth (and I consider myself fairly tech savvy), nothing is as efficient or as quick as paper charts.

Although in truth (and I consider myself fairly tech savvy), nothing is as efficient or as quick as paper charts.

At the risk of derailing the thread, what is more efficient about paper charts (I've never used them)? On EMR you can use Smart phrases/dot phrases and dictations to finish notes more quickly as well as digital images in the note. but I've heard many doctors--and dermatologists in particular--enjoy paper charts, especially for billing/coding sheets.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the risk of derailing the thread, what is more efficient about paper charts (I've never used them)? On EMR you can use Smart phrases/dot phrases and dictations to finish notes more quickly as well as digital images in the note. but I've heard many doctors--and dermatologists in particular--enjoy paper charts, especially for billing/coding sheets.

I'm also very tech minded and used many EMRs, but still none beat paper for efficiency. The main reason is that all EMRs make you navigate from screen to screen, switching between clicking and typing things to review the record, then chart, then order stuff, then bill etc. The very act of moving your hands from mouse to keyboard and back and using multiple screens is slow. Whereas a good paper visit can all fit on one single sheet of paper. There's nothing faster then circling a bunch of things on a form you've filled out 1000 times before and scribbling a bunch of notes on a diagram on that same sheet.

Good EMRs in the end can make a better note; however despite my best efforts (and I consider myself fairly efficient) it still cannot be done in under 2-3 minutes even for a simple visit. Whereas an easy paper note might take 30-45 seconds. That adds up when you repeat 40 times a day.

The very best EMRs try to fit all needed activities on just a few screens with minimal switching between methods of entering data (ie all touchscreen or all hotkey with no clicks).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Everything except pulling the chart when called by the call service. EMR's are cost drivers and efficiency killers, the real effect being the polar opposite of the stated intent and need. In short, they suck because they were mandated.

Reactions: 3 users
Also agree that paper was more efficient for derm. I have to use an Epic based EMR which is so slow and cumbersome for derm. Anyone have any EMR suggestions? Have heard good things about EMA and EZDerm but haven't used them myself yet.

Also agree that paper was more efficient for derm. I have to use an Epic based EMR which is so slow and cumbersome for derm. Anyone have any EMR suggestions? Have heard good things about EMA and EZDerm but haven't used them myself yet.

I liked EZDerm better but if I recall, they are a small group and support can be flaky with smaller companies.

EMA seems to be the most popular in my neck of the woods. I do like the fact that if done properly, it provides a very detailed note and my staff no longer has to waste time pulling paper charts. While it is probably one of the best (if not the best) derm-specific EMR out there, it is still significantly clunkier than pen and paper, particularly for surgical op notes.

Reactions: 1 user