DO Dermatology opportunities for next application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solodyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the past 10 years, we are seeing an explosion in growth of DO Dermatology Residency Programs. There were about 15-18 programs 10 years ago. This past year, there are 32 active programs taking total of 55 new first year derm residents each year.

With the ACGME merger and new AOA requirement for participating in the match, there are only 14 DO Derm programs that will be allow to participate in the AOA match. Of the 14 programs, I believe 9 of them have achieved Initial Accreditations. Therefore unless these 9 programs also achieved Osteopathic Recognition, they are open to MD applicants.

We will be seeing significant decrease in derm positions available to the DOs this point forward. This is the manifestation of the impact of ACGME Merger to the osteopathic profession...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you saying that the other 18 programs have already achieved ACGME accreditation or that they are not going to try to get accredited at all? In other words of the 32 original DO programs you refer to, how many will still be standing for a DO grad to try to apply for a residency spot in the future?

Of the 32 DO Derm Programs, 14 has applied to ACGME. Out of the 14, 9 of them are Initially Accredited thus MD are eligible for those spots too.

The other 18 programs have not yet applied. Until they apply, they cannot take resident for July 1st 2018. Of these 18 program, I know 2 more will likely apply, about 6-7 of them are shutting down. The rests are ???.

In summary, last year there are 45 First year DO Derm residents. This year I suspect it will be about half of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I've talked to program directors that say they will still have bias for DOs but that's still cutting down the available spots opened for DOs

Of the 32 DO Derm Programs, 14 has applied to ACGME. Out of the 14, 9 of them are Initially Accredited thus MD are eligible for those spots too.

The other 18 programs have not yet applied. Until they apply, they cannot take resident for July 1st 2018. Of these 18 program, I know 2 more will likely apply, about 6-7 of them are shutting down. The rests are ???.

In summary, last year there are 45 First year DO Derm residents. This year I suspect it will be about half of that.

Why would the residencies rather close than pursue ACGME accreditation? That's going to make it even more difficult than it already is as a DO to match Derm by quite a bit. :S

Why would the residencies rather close than pursue ACGME accreditation? That's going to make it even more difficult than it already is as a DO to match Derm by quite a bit. :S

Several (many?) DO programs are so far away from being anywhere close to meeting the ACGME requirements that it's essentially impossible (or wildly impractical) to even consider this.

For instance, several DO programs are basically glorified private practice shadowing experiences. Minimal to no dermpath, peds derm, inpatient, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Several (many?) DO programs are so far away from being anywhere close to meeting the ACGME requirements that it's essentially impossible (or wildly impractical) to even consider this.

For instance, several DO programs are basically glorified private practice shadowing experiences. Minimal to no dermpath, peds derm, inpatient, etc.

Yikes! I had no idea they could be that bad. I guess it's for the best if they can't meet the same standards, but it's still going to be sucky as a future DO who is interested in Derm. :p

Have to point out the egregious misinformation here. As a recent grad of a DO derm program, I can tell you that there is not one program that doesn't incorporate training in dermpath, peds derm, and inpatient derm. The days of apprenticeships have been over for 20+ years.

Can't change people on SDN. People are going to believe what they want to believe. Just go on with your wonderful career ahead of you. Derm? it is as good as they say.

Over the past 10 years, we are seeing an explosion in growth of DO Dermatology Residency Programs. There were about 15-18 programs 10 years ago. This past year, there are 32 active programs taking total of 55 new first year derm residents each year.

With the ACGME merger and new AOA requirement for participating in the match, there are only 14 DO Derm programs that will be allow to participate in the AOA match. Of the 14 programs, I believe 9 of them have achieved Initial Accreditations. Therefore unless these 9 programs also achieved Osteopathic Recognition, they are open to MD applicants.

We will be seeing significant decrease in derm positions available to the DOs this point forward. This is the manifestation of the impact of ACGME Merger to the osteopathic profession...

Do you mind listing which 9 residency programs have applied?

Thanks