What are employers looking for in new graduates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two more weeks. Trying my best to hang in there, but not sure if I'll make it... especially now that I've been reassured by an employment attorney that my contract doesn't really give them any 'punishment' if I leave earlier other than maybe making me ineligible for rehire. We'll see how the next two weeks go.

Members don't see this ad.

Two more weeks. Trying my best to hang in there, but not sure if I'll make it... especially now that I've been reassured by an employment attorney that my contract doesn't really give them any 'punishment' if I leave earlier other than maybe making me ineligible for rehire. We'll see how the next two weeks go.

Stay strong. You've got this. PM me if need to vent more.

Stay strong. You've got this. PM me if need to vent more.

Last week actually was slower than usual and therefore went better than usual. The PM had a call with corporate where I basically HEARD HER TELL THEM that the entire staff, from receptionists to techs to doctors, is completely burned out and they NEED another staff member. Apparently it was actually approved! So at least the new doc should benefit from not having any/many 1:1 dr:tech days.

Really, the last week hasn't been that bad. I'm just mentally checked out and have zero investment in the clinic anymore. I'm ready to move on. Two months notice is just way too long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last week actually was slower than usual and therefore went better than usual. The PM had a call with corporate where I basically HEARD HER TELL THEM that the entire staff, from receptionists to techs to doctors, is completely burned out and they NEED another staff member. Apparently it was actually approved! So at least the new doc should benefit from not having any/many 1:1 dr:tech days.

Really, the last week hasn't been that bad. I'm just mentally checked out and have zero investment in the clinic anymore. I'm ready to move on. Two months notice is just way too long.

Yay for new staff. My office manager refuses to hire another staff member despite knowing we are all burnt out. She keeps trying to hire part-time assistants with no training that she can just have fill in 1-2 days per week so she can avoid paying them benefits. Before I started working here they lost a full-time CERTIFIED vet tech because they refused to give her a $1/hour raise that she asked for. So she left to another clinic who was willing to give her that extra $1. The office manager refuses to replace this person. Actually, she just allowed another intern/extern (whatever they call them) from one of the assistant programs to come get her required clinic training crap at our clinic. You know, the clinic that is constantly understaffed, overwhelmed and has made multiple nearly fatal errors because we have stupid people working for us. Yeah, let's toss in another set of novice hands that have no ****ing clue what to do to this already overwhelmed staff. That is going to work out really ****ing well. And the office manager can not comprehend how we don't see this person as "help".

Friday we were down two techs because the office manager can't pay the **** attention and scheduled someone on their requested day off. Not that I care if this someone is here because she doesn't know her ass from her head. But since the office manager thought this person would be working (she was graduating Friday) she let another tech go to a training thing. Had she remembered we would have had our other good tech. So what does reception do when we have two doctors and we are short by two staff members? They book back-to-back-to-back involved work-ups. You know to be extra sure we are stuck even later.

I have two more days, but we had to close the clinic Saturday due to the other Dr being sick (about time she call out) and I know the office manager is going to try to pile everything in on Monday and cut short the appointment times in order to "make up for being closed and to try to make up for losing money that day." So if I walk in tomorrow morning and see a **** show of double booking or shortened appointments, I am going to walk out. She can explain to the clients that she is incapable of staffing the clinic appropriately and being unable to handle when a Dr. calls out. (Most of the appointments Saturday were for vaccines anyway, so they aren't urgent).

Yay for new staff. My office manager refuses to hire another staff member despite knowing we are all burnt out. She keeps trying to hire part-time assistants with no training that she can just have fill in 1-2 days per week so she can avoid paying them benefits. Before I started working here they lost a full-time CERTIFIED vet tech because they refused to give her a $1/hour raise that she asked for. So she left to another clinic who was willing to give her that extra $1. The office manager refuses to replace this person. Actually, she just allowed another intern/extern (whatever they call them) from one of the assistant programs to come get her required clinic training crap at our clinic. You know, the clinic that is constantly understaffed, overwhelmed and has made multiple nearly fatal errors because we have stupid people working for us. Yeah, let's toss in another set of novice hands that have no ****ing clue what to do to this already overwhelmed staff. That is going to work out really ****ing well. And the office manager can not comprehend how we don't see this person as "help".

Friday we were down two techs because the office manager can't pay the **** attention and scheduled someone on their requested day off. Not that I care if this someone is here because she doesn't know her ass from her head. But since the office manager thought this person would be working (she was graduating Friday) she let another tech go to a training thing. Had she remembered we would have had our other good tech. So what does reception do when we have two doctors and we are short by two staff members? They book back-to-back-to-back involved work-ups. You know to be extra sure we are stuck even later.

I have two more days, but we had to close the clinic Saturday due to the other Dr being sick (about time she call out) and I know the office manager is going to try to pile everything in on Monday and cut short the appointment times in order to "make up for being closed and to try to make up for losing money that day." So if I walk in tomorrow morning and see a **** show of double booking or shortened appointments, I am going to walk out. She can explain to the clients that she is incapable of staffing the clinic appropriately and being unable to handle when a Dr. calls out. (Most of the appointments Saturday were for vaccines anyway, so they aren't urgent).

I had a nightmare last night that is really messing with my ability to function at work today.

Some big scary guy came and held me hostage in my house.... he said that he knew how many financial/convenience euthanasias I've performed in my career (especially the last year) and how many times I've worked with owners to provide less than stellar care, and that I needed to pay for that. Then he started bringing in all kinds of obviously-healthy wildlife and forcing me (at gunpoint) to euthanize them. (I don't know nearly enough wildlife medicine to successfully euthanize anything, but that detail was glossed over in the dream and I DO love wildlife enough for that to be really traumatic/punishing for me!) Then he forced me to euthanize my own pets, one by one. I woke up in the middle of this, but I was supposed to die next.

I was pretty shaken by it... then checked the Timehop app on my phone this morning to see a status from 10 years ago that said "I just had a dream that I was forced to euthanize a human baby. Time for a career change."

This morning, I euthanized a dog that was hit by a car three weeks ago. For three weeks, the dog has had zero control of its bladder or bowels. The owner's sister brought it in after it was hit, but she only had $50 to her name and therefore declined everything except pain meds.

So, for three weeks this dog has been leaking pee and poo... but this morning, when the owner woke up and found that the dog ATE ITS OWN TAIL OVERNIGHT, they decided to euthanize. They didn't want to stay with the dog and bitched out the front desk staff over the fact that we charged them $110 for euthanasia & communal cremation.

I don't know if I'll make it until next Friday. My mental health is not good today. Today might need to be my last day.

I had a nightmare last night that is really messing with my ability to function at work today.

Some big scary guy came and held me hostage in my house.... he said that he knew how many financial/convenience euthanasias I've performed in my career (especially the last year) and how many times I've worked with owners to provide less than stellar care, and that I needed to pay for that. Then he started bringing in all kinds of obviously-healthy wildlife and forcing me (at gunpoint) to euthanize them. (I don't know nearly enough wildlife medicine to successfully euthanize anything, but that detail was glossed over in the dream and I DO love wildlife enough for that to be really traumatic/punishing for me!) Then he forced me to euthanize my own pets, one by one. I woke up in the middle of this, but I was supposed to die next.

I was pretty shaken by it... then checked the Timehop app on my phone this morning to see a status from 10 years ago that said "I just had a dream that I was forced to euthanize a human baby. Time for a career change."

This morning, I euthanized a dog that was hit by a car three weeks ago. For three weeks, the dog has had zero control of its bladder or bowels. The owner's sister brought it in after it was hit, but she only had $50 to her name and therefore declined everything except pain meds.

So, for three weeks this dog has been leaking pee and poo... but this morning, when the owner woke up and found that the dog ATE ITS OWN TAIL OVERNIGHT, they decided to euthanize. They didn't want to stay with the dog and bitched out the front desk staff over the fact that we charged them $110 for euthanasia & communal cremation.

I don't know if I'll make it until next Friday. My mental health is not good today. Today might need to be my last day.

I'm so sorry. That is all just awful.