Internship/Residency (VIRMP) for foreign vet graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatisthemeaningoflife?

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in my final year of vet school from Southeast Asia. I want to pursue an internship and eventually residency in U.S.A/Canada. This has been my dream. But there isn't much information about foreign graduates matching. I still have a year to finish my vet school. Meanwhile, I want to improve my CV and experience cause right now my CV is empty. However, I am clueless about what to do to improve my chances of being matched and I want to do meaningful things that program directors view as vital. Any tips on how to improve my chances of me getting matched? I want to do internal medicine internship and residency. I do not have US visa. Maybe I would have to apply for J1. I would love to hear anecdote of matched people. I have a lot of queries and if someone can answer them, it would mean a world to me. It really motivates me. I am planning to take Navle in the December window.
Thank you for taking time to read this. Hope you have a great life.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from the US but during my residency 3-4 years ago there was a shift and many schools no longer take foreign applicants because of prevailing wage requirements and the difficulty in obtaining visas. There may be schools that still accept non-US/Canada residents, but they’re becoming much less common and you will likely have to research the schools and contact them directly to see if you’re eligible. The place I did my residency used to take quite a few foreign grads but stopped around 2017. Availability and the process may be very different now than even just a few years ago so if you talk to people make sure they’ve been through the process recently. As for experiences that would make you stand out, I’d think they’d be similar to the things your US-based competition would have (I.e. dedication to the field, special projects or research, good references from your teachers, etc.) and searching the forums would likely be a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. Will references from my teachers be of any value? So far I haven't done any research. I have done minor research that has no value in publications. I feel like even if I apply, there is no way I will be able to match. I read that UC Davis accepts foreign graduates but who am I kidding I don't stand even a teeny tiny chance. I think I will eventually follow the ecfvg pathway to get a U.S license. But I want to do an internship and residency so bad. Every year I watch a Human medicine match and wish I should have chosen human med. At least they accept students based on competitive exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. Will references from my teachers be of any value? So far I haven't done any research. I have done minor research that has no value in publications. I feel like even if I apply, there is no way I will be able to match. I read that UC Davis accepts foreign graduates but who am I kidding I don't stand even a teeny tiny chance. I think I will eventually follow the ecfvg pathway to get a U.S license. But I want to do an internship and residency so bad. Every year I watch a Human medicine match and wish I should have chosen human med. At least they accept students based on competitive exams.
Hey, I’m a foreign graduate as well and matched to a specialty internship. Being completely honest; you have to have work experience abroad and need references from licensed vets in Canada/USA to stand a chance. Work experience is very important when applying to internships because you have primary case responsibility and protocols are very different here compared to many parts of the world. So I suggest getting licensed and working here for a bit and then applying; otherwise very tough to get in anywhere.

If it makes you feel any better, the match in human medicine isn’t very kind to students from non-US schools.

Hey, I’m a foreign graduate as well and matched to a specialty internship. To be completely honest; you have to have work experience abroad and need references from licensed vets in Canada/USA to stand a chance. Work experience is very important when applying to internships because you have primary case responsibility and protocols are very different here compared to many parts of the world. So I suggest getting licensed and working here for a bit and then applying; otherwise very tough to get in anywhere.
How many research papers had you published before applying for the match? Do they only look at research done in the U.S only? I am planning to complete bcse and Navle in April 2023. I have thousands of questions exploding in my mind. If we could talk and help me answer some questions, it would mean the world to me. If possible can we talk in another messaging app?

If it makes you feel any better, the match in human medicine isn’t very kind to students from non-US schools.
Totally Agreed. What I like about them is there are tonnes of opportunities like an externship, Usce, step exams to prove their knowledge and skills. However, in vet med, we as a foreign vets can do barely anything. I wish the vet med match would be like a human med match. I know it would be tough but I would have a fairer chance.

How many research papers had you published before applying for the match? Do they only look at research done in the U.S only? I am planning to complete bcse and Navle in April 2023. I have thousands of questions exploding in my mind. If we could talk and help me answer some questions, it would mean the world to me. If possible can we talk in another messaging app?
I had done 0 research papers. I had however passed all my licensing exams on my first try and worked as an associate veterinarian at a busy practice for 1 year; before applying and getting accepted into a specialty internship. Research isn’t important; it’s your work experience as a veterinarian in USA or Canada which is important. You need to be reliable in an internship and the only way that can be proved is by job experience. Job experience makes a difference because you would essentially be more practically reliable than someone who has just graduated and applied straight to an internship without any past experience. So job experience makes your application much stronger; since you already do many of the things that are expected of you from an internship.

I had done 0 research papers. I had however passed all my licensing exams on my first try and worked as an associate veterinarian at a busy practice for 1 year; before applying and getting accepted into a specialty internship. Research isn’t important; it’s your work experience as a veterinarian in USA or Canada which is important. You need to be reliable in an internship and the only way that can be proved is my job experience. Job experience makes a difference because you would essentially be more practically reliable than someone who has just graduated and applied straight to an internship without any experience. So job experience makes your application much stronger; since you already do many of the things that are expected of you from an internship.
I would like to ask about your anecdote about your Ecfvg journey. Would you mind answering them in messages?

Hello! If you are looking for training in necropsy, the Davis-Thompson Foundation set up a 2-days, hands on Necropsy course designed to help candidates that are preparing to take the Clinical Proficiency Examination (CPE) by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) National Examining Board (NEB).
Registration information is available here: Necropsy Course 2022- The Davis-Thompson Foundation - The Davis-Thompson Foundation
Seats are very limited (10 participants) to allow practice. Don't miss this opportunity, register today!

Attachments

• Necropsy course with location.png
    Necropsy course with location.png
    807.9 KB · Views: 73