What a M1 should consider while apartment hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJAnaesthesia

I Made It
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently planning to move and find an apartment to start my first year. What should I consider when I'm looking? I'm hoping to find a place that is within walking distance to the Health Sciences Center, even though I will have a vehicle with me.

Members don't see this ad.

This is sort of a topic where some school specific advise would be helpful. (I don't know the housing market near your school) That said I'd advise making sure you are relatively near a grocery store that you are willing to shop at. Also a roommate can be good. It can reduce your costs so you can get a bigger apartment (read two bedroom, I'm not telling you to actually share a room just the apartment) and you don't have to always be sitting alone in your studio apartment.

If you like studying at home I'd make sure it is big enough that you will have at least a couple of places you can go to change the scenery while studying. (if that is important to you).

Really though what most matters is what you need from an apartment. Kind of like how no one can make the decision for you about what school is the best fit, no one can really tell you what is important to you when looking for an apartment.

Yeah this question would best be answered in a school-specific c/o 2014 thread. If you'd like I can move this thread there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that school specific advice would help.

However in general I would look for a few things:

1) Proximity - makes your life a lot easier. There were always a few students who lived far far out from the med center in year one; they almost inevitably moved closer before second year.

2) Safety - you may be keeping weird hours (late nights at the library or anatomy lab); walking or biking or driving home at night you don't want to be worried about safety

3) Convenience - what I mean by this is...is this a place with good landlords, where problems will get taken care of for you easily? Is it close to grocery stores, food options? etc.

4) Cost - everyone has got a budget. I can't tell you what yours is or how much the apartments in your area run, but it has got to be a factor. Don't go over your budget, whatever it is.

Agree that school specific advice would help.

However in general I would look for a few things:

1) Proximity - makes your life a lot easier. There were always a few students who lived far far out from the med center in year one; they almost inevitably moved closer before second year.

2) Safety - you may be keeping weird hours (late nights at the library or anatomy lab); walking or biking or driving home at night you don't want to be worried about safety

3) Convenience - what I mean by this is...is this a place with good landlords, where problems will get taken care of for you easily? Is it close to grocery stores, food options? etc.

4) Cost - everyone has got a budget. I can't tell you what yours is or how much the apartments in your area run, but it has got to be a factor. Don't go over your budget, whatever it is.

Agree with the this.... Find a place that is within your budget, close to school, and in a safe neighborhood.

your school might be able to tell you were other students have lived. My school does a survey every year and sends it to incoming students to help them find places to live. Either that or you can ask older students at your school.

Also check out places like apartmentratings.com (although remember sites like these are meant for crazy disgruntled renters so take everything with a grain of salt).

Also remember that if the place you pick doesn't work out, you can always move somewhere else the next year. It's not like you have to commit to marrying the apartment.

thanks for the reply guys, yes can you move this thread to school specific?

Location, location, location.

My wife and I lived a 30 minute bus ride (15 minute car) from campus my first year, and it was lousy. The apartment was OK, it was cheap, but being that far away is a major inconvenience and removes you from everything going on in your class.

We are now in an apartment just off campus. 10 minute walk, 3-4 minute bus or bike. It's a little more expensive, but that expense can be made up in a) making it easier to eat cheaply at home, and b) transportation costs. Plus, it's more pleasant, and sanity counts for a lot in med school.

Status
Not open for further replies.