Am I considered a "non-traditional" applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx3344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long post, and sorry if this thread has already been created or not (I'm really not a frequent SDN user), but I am seeking some advice regarding whether or not I am considered "non-traditional" in your opinions, and also whether or not I should be applying to dozens of post-baccs/masters programs. I have applied to 10 MD schools and 10 DO schools this cycle. Money is extremely tight, and I do not know whether I should take the risk of applying to other programs (I am very thankful that I received FAP for all of my applications and secondaries this cycle.) Obviously in the grand scheme of things, application fees are pennies in comparison to tuition, but I am unsure of exactly how many I should be applying to, if that makes sense?

In terms of my main ECs, I did 15 hours per week of embryology research for almost 2 years and was not part of a publication during my time in the lab, but I created and presented a poster of my own research and wrote a Biology Honors thesis. I was also a D1 athlete for all 4 years of college, and captain my senior year (about 20-25 hours per week give or take not including traveling). Since 5/2015, I have been a full-time ER medical scribe (35-40 hours per week) and have about 500 hours thus far of clinic experience. Aside from these, I have been on a 2 week medical brigade to central america, was a volunteer at my university local hospital, shadowed 2 MDs and 1 DO, TA'd organic chemistry and an intro biology class, and was an orientation leader during my sophomore year. Won some leadership awards my senior year from dean.

I thinned myself out a lot throughout college as a premed student and was pretty miserable, and looking back on it, I'm not sure if all the B's in my main science classes were worth the ECs. My cGPA is a 3.3, and my sGPA is a 3.1. My MCAT is a 507, but it was also my third try (I scored under 50th %ile my first 2 times.) I'm not sure if letters make a difference at all, but I received an MD, DO, dean of students, my research prof, my genetics prof, athletics director, and my writing prof.

If anyone actually reads this, I would appreciate your brutally honest, whole-hearted opinion. This is my first time applying to medical school, and I am all ears for any advice I can get my hands on from people who are going through/have already been through this. I feel it will give me a more clear idea of whether I should be applying to a bunch of programs or not. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong thread. Post this in the Pre-Allopathic thread.

Reactions: 1 user