WesternU MSMS 2017/2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the acceptance call this morning. They said that I should be expecting an official letter/email in the upcoming days. So stoked to start the program!

For those who are wondering, I would prefer not to release my stats. I submitted my application mid-January and interviewed Feb 25th with the first batch of students. The interview was very chill and the day was pretty stress-free. As cliched as it is, being yourself, is the best advice I can share. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Received a call this morning on my way to work notifying me of my acceptance to the program for 2017-2018 school year. I'm taking it! Interviewed on the 25th, a day before my birthday, so I am stoked to get this late birthday present. Should get the official letter tomorrow when staff is in! Good luck to everyone else & look forward to meeting you all this May!

Congrats! I also interviewed that day! I thought we weren't going to hear until this Friday so now I am beyond nervous/a little sad I didn't hear today! Has anyone else from that interview day heard anything at all?

Received a call this morning on my way to work notifying me of my acceptance to the program for 2017-2018 school year. I'm taking it! Interviewed on the 25th, a day before my birthday, so I am stoked to get this late birthday present. Should get the official letter tomorrow when staff is in! Good luck to everyone else & look forward to meeting you all this May!
Congrats! I'll see you in May! Do you know if there's a Facebook group set up already?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who got accepted (if you don't mind sharing) what program are you eventually interested in matriculating into? Congrats again!!

I got the acceptance call this morning. They said that I should be expecting an official letter/email in the upcoming days. So stoked to start the program!

For those who are wondering, I would prefer not to release my stats. I submitted my application mid-January and interviewed Feb 25th with the first batch of students. The interview was very chill and the day was pretty stress-free. As cliched as it is, being yourself, is the best advice I can share. Good luck!

Awesome and congrats! Did you get a phone call or email when you got invited to the interview?? I usually don't pick up unknown numbers but I'll pick up ALL calls if that's the case.

Congrats! Was the interview difficult? Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks, and sorry I'm so late with getting back.. it has been a hectic day!
Here's some info on me:
MCAT: New only, 505
GPA: 3.0; I know... it was a learning experience :dead:
Research: Published in Endocrine Society (2 articles). Also did research for the entirety of undergrad working in infectious disease labs to plant pathology labs up to BSL-2
Extra Curriculars: Spent around 6 months in Africa (clinical), also various leadership roles through college and church, ~1800 hours MA/scribe experience
Application: Received and ready to review on February 1st exactly; interviewed on Feb. 25th but was contacted the Friday before.

Anyways, as was said before.. to prepare for your interview just take some time to really think about how far you've come and don't forget that it's a time to brag (just a little ;)) but be honest. I felt like the interviewers really are looking for genuine people, imperfections and all. Be yourself and you'll do great!

Awesome and congrats! Did you get a phone call or email when you got invited to the interview?? I usually don't pick up unknown numbers but I'll pick up ALL calls if that's the case.
I received a call to notify of acceptance, but email first to notify of interview seat. Hope that helps! Definitely keep an eye out for pomona numbers!

The interview invite was by email and the acceptance notification was by a phone call. I heard from others and read on the previous year's posts that the interview invite can be sent out up to a few days before the interview. When I received the call, it was from a 909 number (Pomona), so if I were you, I'd still ignore unknown callers unless the number is from Pomona ;).

Here's some info on me:
Research: Published in Endocrine Society (2 articles). Also did research for the entirety of undergrad working in infectious disease labs to plant pathology labs up to BSL-2
Extra Curriculars: Spent around 6 months in Africa (clinical), also various leadership roles through college and church, ~1800 hours MA/scribe experience
Application: Received and ready to review on February 1st exactly; interviewed on Feb. 25th but was contacted the Friday before.

Anyways, as was said before.. to prepare for your interview just take some time to really think about how far you've come and don't forget that it's a time to brag (just a little ;)) but be honest. I felt like the interviewers really are looking for genuine people, imperfections and all. Be yourself and you'll do great!

Thanks for sharing! Did the mention during the interview how many applicants (premed/pre-dental) they received and approximately how many they will interview?

Thanks for sharing! Did the mention during the interview how many applicants (premed/pre-dental) they received and approximately how many they will interview?
They didn't mention anything in their presentations. There were ~15 people in my interview group (2 pre-dents, 1 or 2 pre-PA, and the rest pre-DO). I can't really comment on what the proportion will be like, but I expect the final class size to be ~30 students.

Hopefully there is still some good new for us 2/25 interviewees tomorrow!! :scared::xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invite this morning! I'm very excited for it!

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't got mine yet :nailbiting: I've been anxiously waiting!! Should I give them a call?

I called last week and they informed me I would hear back 2 weeks before the interview (~March 18th). I guess they reviewed my file earlier than they expected.

I called last week and they informed me I would hear back 2 weeks before the interview (~March 18th). I guess they reviewed my file earlier than they expected.
I thought the two interview dates were Feb 25th and April 1st?

Just got my interview invite this morning as well! Totally wasn't expecting anything till next week.

I meant to say 2 weeks before April 1st which is March 18th.

Anyone else from the 2/25 interview group been on pins and needles all day? Still hoping we get some good news today.:sick::xf:

Anyone else from the 2/25 interview group been on pins and needles all day? Still hoping we get some good news today.:sick::xf:
I guess we're destined for a restless weekend:boom:Hopefully we get some good news Monday. Best of luck everyone:luck:

Heads up: At preview day today we were informed that MSBS has a new pre professional track (for all of us who don't hear back next week for MSMS interview). App due May 1st. I don't see any update on this on the website though.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's some info on me:

Thank you for sharing! Also, was there an essay component during the interview as well?

Heads up: At preview day today we were informed that MSBS has a new pre professional track (for all of us who don't hear back next week for MSMS interview). App due May 1st. I don't see any update on this on the website though.
Thank you for that information:biglove:

Getting a little anxious about not hearing anything since interviewing! :(:confused:

I interviewed 2/25 and just got placed on "hold" via email this afternoon around 4.

Did anyone else hear anything today?

Can anyone comment on what questions they were asked? Since it's closed file they obviously can't point to something in your history and ask about that. And did they do away with linkage? Is it now just a guaranteed interview?

Hey do you have anymore information on the new track for the MSBS and what it entails? I haven't seen any updates on the website yet.

Hey do you have anymore information on the new track for the MSBS and what it entails? I haven't seen any updates on the website yet.
So the dean of admissions of MSMS was the person talking about this. Basically what I got out of the talk (which came right after the MSMS talk) was that it was a 2 week old idea, but that we would be able to apply to it soon and the first class would start in fall. I asked if there would be any form of "linkage" situation (like MSMS) and she said no. It's a two year program....I can't remember anything else right now....

Hello All! I'm a little worried since I applied literally in February and I'm pre-optometry. I did receive an e-mail a few weeks ago that my application was up for review...I still did not hear anything back. I did e-mail and ask Julie to see if it was possible to obtain an update. She said my application was still under review...I'm wondering if there are any other pre-optometry folks who applied or if anyone knows? Also generally speaking for the current MSMSer's how do they match you to research?

Hello All! I'm a little worried since I applied literally in February and I'm pre-optometry. I did receive an e-mail a few weeks ago that my application was up for review...I still did not hear anything back. I did e-mail and ask Julie to see if it was possible to obtain an update. She said my application was still under review...I'm wondering if there are any other pre-optometry folks who applied or if anyone knows? Also generally speaking for the current MSMSer's how do they match you to research?

Someone else was accepted when they submitted at deadline too, so I hope those eases your worries.

In regards to research, there will be a set list of faculty part of the MSMS Capstone. They will introduce themselves and you will do a pseudo " MSMS match" system. You have the opportunity to meet with faculty and you can rank them on your interest that said... they rank you too. You do however, have the option of reaching out to other research PI, but they may or may not be mindful of your MSMS schedule (we have blocked off Tuesday/Thurs for research).

Hey everyone! I literally created an account just to join this threat :D
So I submitted my MSMS application in the middle of October 2016 and got my application is ready for evaluation email on 1/12/17 but I have not heard anything back since then. I'm Pre-D.O. Has anyone else from a similar timeline heard back yet? I'm getting a little bit worried because that second interview date is coming up soon and for having applied so early, its scary to not have heard anything.

Last edited:
So I submitted my MSMS application in the middle of October 2016 and got my application is ready for evaluation email on 1/12/17 but I have not heard anything back since then. I'm Pre-D.O. Has anyone else from a similar timeline heard back yet? I'm getting a little bit worried because that second interview date is coming up soon and for having applied so early, its scary to not have heard anything.
It's a silent rejection bro.

It's a silent rejection bro.

Not true. Admissions has been behind in sending out interviews. You could get an interview as late as the week of the interview date itself, so don't sweat it.

Reactions: 5 users
Not true. Admissions has been behind in sending out interviews. You could get an interview as late as the week of the interview date itself, so don't sweat it.
The only remaining interview date is April 1. Do you really think they're still sending out invites? I got mine weeks ago.

The only remaining interview date is April 1. Do you really think they're still sending out invites? I got mine weeks ago.

I called today and spoke with Julie Smith. She said that applicants can hear up until the week of the interview. The decisions team is still reviewing files and sending interview invites so it's a waiting game for the next week. Congrats to you though for getting yours already! Hope you do well.

Good luck and stay positive!

Just received a rejection :/ Good luck to the rest of you all! <3 <3 <3

Just received a rejection :/ Good luck to the rest of you all! <3 <3 <3

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you for all of your other applications! <3