WesternU MSMS 2017/2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received a rejection :/ Good luck to the rest of you all! <3 <3 <3

Oh no :/ Best of luck to you if you do decide to apply to the MSBS program!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got my rejection letter via e-mail...not even an interview...it's a numbers game. Best wishes to the rest of you! Not sure if i'll apply to the MSBS...it's something I'll have to think about...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my rejection letter via e-mail...not even an interview...it's a numbers game. Best wishes to the rest of you! Not sure if i'll apply to the MSBS...it's something I'll have to think about...

That really sucks :(
Good luck in whatever step you decide to take next. We all still believe in you and the great optometrist you can become! <3

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just received a rejection :/ Good luck to the rest of you all! <3 <3 <3

So sorry to hear that. You both have been so kind to everyone on here I really appreciate that.

Best of luck to you both in your future endeavors.

Reactions: 3 users
That really sucks :(
Good luck in whatever step you decide to take next. We all still believe in you and the great optometrist you can become! <3
Thank you, I would hope so after 12 years of working in the Optometry industry and being a licensed CPOA...I'm thinking of a masters in Biology and we'll see afterwards if I'll re-apply to Optometry school. Thank you for being so supportive! Best wishes to you!

So sorry to hear that. You both have been so kind to everyone on here I really appreciate that.

Best of luck to you both in your future endeavors.
Thank you! I greatly appreciate your kind words! Best wishes to you always!

Reactions: 1 user
Competitive Candidates - Master of Science in Medical Sciences (MSMS)

Posting for convenience. If your stats are close to these, then metrics will most likely not be the problem. With any school, it is not a bad idea to consider our mission, vision, and what's desired in a competitive candidate. I remember hearing that personal statements are read first then stats. I hope this helps.

I wish you guys the best of luck!

Just to be clear, we take our classes with first year med students right? Do we take the same tests as them?

Do MSMS students do IPE?

Just to be clear, we take our classes with first year med students right? Do we take the same tests as them?
We take ISAC with the medical students right after pre-ISAC. This is the only time we take classes with the med students. The rest of the year is our own variation.
We do not do IPE.

For those interviewing tomorrow, good luck!! Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We'll be there to help you guys calm down!

Best of luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Just be yourself and you'll kill it!

Everyone is wishing us luck, but nooooo one wants to tell us what questions they're going to ask lol... Good luck everyone. Just a tip, my allergies are acting up like crazy over here, it might be a good idea to grab some Allegra.

Now we play the waiting game.

Hey all,

Congrats to those that interviewed!

I will be renting out my single room in a townhouse close to campus (8min drive) for $600 (but negotiable) for the months of June & July (this price includes all amenities). You'll be sharing the bathroom with two other female students, you'll have your own garage space, full access to kitchen, fridge space, laundry on site, and the room will be fully furnished. Perfect for the duration of ISAC or for those that are in between leases and want a cheap place to live for the summer!

Also FYI, the Daumier (housing on campus) only leases starting late July/early August. Feel free to message me for more information/tour of my room!

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Just randomly joining in here. I'm a current student in the MSMS program, Pre-DO, and was accepted into COMP. Let me know if you have any questions/need any advice. Also, if anyone is interested in housing, I'm currently looking at apartments off, but near campus, that are in a safer area. Hit me up if you are a male and need a roommate. Best of luck everyone.

Hey everyone,
Just randomly joining in here. I'm a current student in the MSMS program, Pre-DO, and was accepted into COMP. Let me know if you have any questions/need any advice. Also, if anyone is interested in housing, I'm currently looking at apartments off, but near campus, that are in a safer area. Hit me up if you are a male and need a roommate. Best of luck everyone.
I'm a male but obvs waiting on acceptance

Can any students comment on which cell phone service works best on campus?

I'm a male but obvs waiting on acceptance
One of my classmates, who has also matriculated into COMP, is actually going to be rooming with me in an apartment off campus. Best piece of advice I can give is to coordinate with your classmates, those who are accepted along with you, and see if you can find a place together. With my experience, I'd recommend living off campus.

Has anyone heard back post-interview yet?

My interview was extremely quick (much less than 30 minutes)...anyone else experience a short interview?

Just heard from a faculty member that they're pretty much done reviewing all the interviews, so you guys should be getting your answers soon!

It was nice meeting some of you on Saturday (purple hair ;)).

Reactions: 4 users
Just heard from a faculty member that they're pretty much done reviewing all the interviews, so you guys should be getting your answers soon!

It was nice meeting some of you on Saturday (purple hair ;)).
Thanks for the info! Do you think we will hear back today?

Has anyone heard back post-interview yet?

My interview was extremely quick (much less than 30 minutes)...anyone else experience a short interview?

That doesn't seem very short at all! They only allocated 30 minutes for each person.

Fingers crossed for some great news this week. Best of luck to everyone!

Accepted. Literally just got the email.

ACCEPTED!!!! Best of luck to everyone that's still anxiously waiting!!

ACCEPTED!!! I had logged in this morning to the page and saw accepted, but did not believe it until the email came through! :soexcited:

(posting this for future thread-stalkers like me)
This program has a comparatively early deadline so apply soon, but also don't be scared to apply late. I literally applied on the deadline.

Last edited:
No news here. Major bummer. Anyone else yet to hear anything?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Congrats to all those who have just received their acceptances and good luck to those still waiting to hear back! For those that have their school emails already, we have a group going on FB under "WesternU MSMS Class of 2018"!

One of my classmates, who has also matriculated into COMP, is actually going to be rooming with me in an apartment off campus. Best piece of advice I can give is to coordinate with your classmates, those who are accepted along with you, and see if you can find a place together. With my experience, I'd recommend living off campus.
why off campus? Price?

I recommend you guys start a Facebook group as soon as possible.

Edit: looks like it's up :) WesternU MSMS Class of 2018

Last edited:
Congratulations to those that got accepted! It was great meeting you guys on the second interview.

According to Dr Goode, there were 5 pre-dental, 3 pre-OD, and some pre-PA accepted. To those hearing back still I'm wishing you luck.

Congratulations to those that got accepted! It was great meeting you guys on the second interview.

According to Dr Goode, there were 5 pre-dental, 3 pre-OD, and some pre-PA accepted. To those hearing back still I'm wishing you luck.

Thanks for that info. Just wondering do you happen to know if there are still acceptances to be given? Or at this point are we just waiting for a rejection or an alternate spot at best?

Also do you know how many pre-DO's have been accepted? TIA

Thanks for that info. Just wondering do you happen to know if there are still acceptances to be given? Or at this point are we just waiting for a rejection or an alternate spot at best?

Also do you know how many pre-DO's have been accepted? TIA

Edit: I thought this was referring to my class in regards to COMP. There are usually 20 Pre-DO spots available.

I believe everyone that interviewed (18) have been accepted.

Last edited:
I believe everyone that interviewed (18) have been accepted.

You believe that all the pre-DO's that interviewed were accepted? So if we are pre DO and have not heard back yet there is a possibility that we may still have good new coming? Sorry for all the questions just suuuuper nervous! Thank you in advance! I really appreciate all the info!!

Post interview rejection here. Truly devastating. I guess there's always next year. Good luck all.

You believe that all the pre-DO's that interviewed were accepted? So if we are pre DO and have not heard back yet there is a possibility that we may still have good new coming? Sorry for all the questions just suuuuper nervous! Thank you in advance! I really appreciate all the info!!

I apologize for the confusion, I thought the question was referring to my current class where I believe 18 of us that interviewed have all been accepted to COMP. In regards to MSMS, there are usually 20 Pre-DO spots. That is not definite.

What's the process of obtaining a school email address after placing the deposit?

Post interview rejection here. Truly devastating. I guess there's always next year. Good luck all.

I'm sorry. There's still the MSBS program. At the second interview, Dr. Goode went above and beyond to encourage any student who receives a rejection from MSMS to apply for that program. You scored an interview, that's a HUGE accomplishment. I think the MSBS application doesn't close till May and classes start in August. Maybe you don't have to wait till next year.

What's the process of obtaining a school email address after placing the deposit?

I believe it's go.westernu.edu

There should be notification somewhere among your acceptance. I had to call tech support when I got accepted though.

I called admissions to ask about this and was told that we will receive a letter in the mail as well as an "accepted students link" which will include directions to setting up a school email.

why off campus? Price?
I was given the same advice when I was looking for housing before I started from a student in MSMS 2016. Price is a factor, plus its always good to look at all of your options available. Then again, some of you may like the convenience of living so close to campus (I did for a good portion of the year). Just trying to encourage you all to look at all of your options first before deciding, however it is of course up to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I was given the same advice when I was looking for housing before I started from a student in MSMS 2016. Price is a factor, plus its always good to look at all of your options available. Then again, some of you may like the convenience of living so close to campus (I did for a good portion of the year). Just trying to encourage you all to look at all of your options first before deciding, however it is of course up to you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Are there any areas you recommend avoiding rental searching? Areas recommended?

Are there any areas you recommend avoiding rental searching? Areas recommended?
Honestly, it would probably be a good idea to look on google at the apartment complexes around the area and look at the ratings. I know there is a couple, or at least one, nice one on holt, west of the 71. Off of indian hills is another option. I've heard some good things about clairmont and chino hills as well.