WesternU MSMS 2017/2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who got in! This program will be my top priority when applying next year (since I can commute ;)). I am a pre-dental. Would those who got in the program mind sharing your test scores and GPAs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Question for the current MSMS students, can you describe the whole dress code for the program? I understand that it is supposed to be business casual, but to what extent (since many people have different opinions on what business casual actually is). I understand the basic dress shoes and slacks/chinos. But are they strict on dress shirt + tie or I can wear a collared polo shirt/dress shirt only and be ok?

Just wanted to get some feedback before I do some unnecessary purchases. xD

Question for the current MSMS students, can you describe the whole dress code for the program? I understand that it is supposed to be business casual, but to what extent (since many people have different opinions on what business casual actually is). I understand the basic dress shoes and slacks/chinos. But are they strict on dress shirt + tie or I can wear a collared polo shirt/dress shirt only and be ok?

Thinking the same thing! Generally polo, Khakis, boat shoes to full shirt and tie is what I'm used to going between. Shirt and tie while dissecting seems a bit much!

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, is there a dress code during ISAC?

You guys will get a paper that will detail the dress code on your first day which will likely be professional attire that day (suits) for your photo id. Dress code is for class and faculty interactions I believe. Personally, I refuse to be not in business casual clothing before 6 PM. You should and will be in business casual clothing for ISAC. In my opinion, this be the strictest. You will have to change in scrubs for afternoon lab.

Males: Business casual is the norm. Pants, shoes, and dress shirt. I would recommend a tie, but it can be ok without.

Females: Someone else will hopefully chime in.

Reactions: 1 users
Thinking the same thing! Generally polo, Khakis, boat shoes to full shirt and tie is what I'm used to going between. Shirt and tie while dissecting seems a bit much!

I heard somewhere that boat shoes are considered unprofessional. Tread with caution, I would not recommend. I do however, recommend good insoles. I am rather conservative with my attire than my peers. The way I see it, I refuse any opportunities for a red flag. This is why I may sound very strict about this.

Edit: Polo's are reserved usually for a more lax dress code on Fridays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You guys will get a paper that will detail the dress code on your first day which will likely be professional attire that day (suits) for your photo id. Dress code is for class and faculty interactions I believe. Personally, I refuse to be not in business casual clothing before 6 PM. You should and will be in business casual clothing for ISAC. In my opinion, this be the strictest. You will have to change in scrubs for afternoon lab.

Males: Business casual is the norm. Pants, shoes, and dress shirt. I would recommend a tie, but it can be ok without.

Females: Someone else will hopefully chime in.

It is absolutely imperative you wear business casual during ISAC, with the exception of scrubs during anatomy lab. This is the prime time when ALL faculty is watching.

For females, dress pants or pencil skirts for the bottom, and blouses or dress shirts for the top. Flats are the most comfortable to walk around in. For rainy days, you are allowed to wear boots. H&M is your best bet for affordable business casual clothes.

For the pre-dentals, start expanding your wardrobe now because once you're in dental school, it'll be professional attire, not business casual.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard somewhere that boat shoes are considered unprofessional. Tread with caution, I would not recommend. I do however, recommend good insoles. I am rather conservative with my attire than my peers. The way I see it, I refuse any opportunities for a red flag. This is why I may sound very strict about this.

Edit: Polo's are reserved usually for a more lax dress code on Fridays.

It is absolutely imperative you wear business casual during ISAC, with the exception of scrubs during anatomy lab. This is the prime time when ALL faculty is watching.

For females, dress pants or pencil skirts for the bottom, and blouses or dress shirts for the top. Flats are the most comfortable to walk around in. For rainy days, you are allowed to wear boots. H&M is your best bet for affordable business casual clothes.

For the pre-dentals, start expanding your wardrobe now because once you're in dental school, it'll be professional attire, not business casual.

I agree completely with my two colleagues. One day you will all be healthcare professionals, and a part of that role is dressing professionally. My best advice, to piggyback off of what my colleagues have said, is to start dressing for your desired healthcare profession now. As a word of warning, all of MSMS administration, as well as the faculty for MSMS/COMP/Dental/Optometry, will all be watching you 24/7. Present yourself as a professional, both in how you carry yourself and in your appearance.

Did anyone in your cohort or previous cohorts have to retake MCATs, DAT, OAT before admissions into their official program?

Haven't been on here in a while, but congrats to everyone who was accepted! :horns: If you have any questions about anything or want some honest insight about life in the program and what your goals should be, feel free to message me! I was Pre-DO, and I was accepted to COMP. If you're in the 626 area and would rather talk in person, that's chill too.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble understanding the immunization form? There's a ton of stuff on there

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble understanding the immunization form? There's a ton of stuff on there

TB two part test if not taken within the past year. (Look into quantiferon test which is good for Western for 4 years). Otherwise TB test, 2 days, wait 10 days, another TB test 2 days. If you are doing this now and you haven't done the TB test within the past year, start now.

I had Kaiser, so I just gave them the packets and they did it for me. BUT this is what you need:

Quantitive titers (Measure IgG in your blood)
Hep B
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Varicella

TDap within some years

Be sure to send immunization history and titer results within the time they say. Reading form A-D first is easier then the cover page

FYI, I spoke to Julie Smith regarding the due date of 05/15/2017 for the health form submissions. This is what she said "I am unable to give you an extension as that is not my call. I did confirm with the Registrar’s office that you will be able to register during orientation on the first day of class, May 30th as long as your health forms have been received."

I'm also a little bit behind in regards to filling out the forms myself. xD

FYI, I spoke to Julie Smith regarding the due date of 05/15/2017 for the health form submissions. This is what she said "I am unable to give you an extension as that is not my call. I did confirm with the Registrar’s office that you will be able to register during orientation on the first day of class, May 30th as long as your health forms have been received."

I'm also a little bit behind in regards to filling out the forms myself. xD
I spoke with the registrars office. Late fees at 30 bucks a day starting the 15th.

Still searching for a roommate, anybody else looking?

Still searching for a roommate, anybody else looking?

Worst case if you don't find anyone is to sublease somewhere for ~500-600 for ISAC. This will buy you time to find a roommate. If you go on your youportal there is also a housing roommate application form you can fill out (it takes a few days to get approved.

Good luck.

Is anyone familiar with how GPA's will be calculated for the following cohort applying this fall? I'm a bit confused due to the whole AACOM grade replacement policy change recently.

Is anyone familiar with how GPA's will be calculated for the following cohort applying this fall? I'm a bit confused due to the whole AACOM grade replacement policy change recently.

If I gathered information correctly, both initial and retake will be calculated into your GPA. A lot of people that have spent the past few years rebuilding their GPA are going to take a hit because of it.

EDIT: I misread. This is for aacomas application.
EDIT2: This is definitely a question for administration if regarding to MSMS 2019

Quick question, for the rec letters do we need new ones or can we use the ones that are addressed to dental/med schools?

Quick question, for the rec letters do we need new ones or can we use the ones that are addressed to dental/med schools?
As far as I know you can use them. It'll make a much better impression if they're actually addressed to WesternU though.

Our director, Marcos, has stated that you must have a letter addressed to WesternU's MSMS program specifically.

Our director, Marcos, has stated that you must have a letter addressed to WesternU's MSMS program specifically.
So does that mean one out of the 3 letters should address to WesternU's MSMS program specifically and the other 2 can address to dental/med schools?

Yeah, I have the same question^^...I have a pre-med committee letter already made...does that mean I should ask the pre-med advisor to edit it to focus more on the MSMS?...currently mine specifies becoming a DO, and all my science professors, and my MD/DO's included in that letter all specify me going to medical school, which is ultimately where I want to be, so shouldn't that be fine? Maybe just edit the specificity on the committee letter?

What is the health science receiver account for submitting electronic transcripts?

So does that mean one out of the 3 letters should address to WesternU's MSMS program specifically and the other 2 can address to dental/med schools?

Sorry for the late reply. I don't check this thread that often since we are on summer vacation.

When I submitted my letters of recommendations, all 3 were addressed to a "general biomedical post-baccalaureate program," not specifically MSMS. However, after attending multiple panels with our director, he has stated they should add be addressed specifically to MSMS. If you want confirmation, please email him at [email protected]. ALL administrative-related questions should be directed to him.

As I said before, I am only an alumna who can answer student-related questions.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am a current student in the MSMS program at Western University. If you have any questions regarding the application process or the program itself, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

The application is due February 1, 2017, but the sooner you turn it in, the better!
Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

stats-wise, you're competitive; nevertheless, it's a pretty comprehensive and holistic selection process. They care about ECs, LORs, personal statement, clinical experience (work, shadow), socioeconomic background, URM background, research, and most importantly- Fit and alignment with the program's mission and vision. The MSMS program is an awesome opportunity, and I 100% encourage you to apply! If you have any specific questions, msg me.

Hello. I'm new to this thread hoping someone sees it. It says online the min cGPa is 2.5. I struggled in the past due to personal issues but I'm slowly raising my GPA now after my bachelors. Do I even bother applying to the program if I have less than a 3.0? (Pre-DO). Thanks for the advice!

Hello. I'm new to this thread hoping someone sees it. It says online the min cGPa is 2.5. I struggled in the past due to personal issues but I'm slowly raising my GPA now after my bachelors. Do I even bother applying to the program if I have less than a 3.0? (Pre-DO). Thanks for the advice!
What's your mcat?

Is anyone applying to MSMS or MSBS this cycle? Have you submitted your application yet?