Western VetMed Workshop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kymmy16w

Donkey Therapist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got an email today from Western about a workshop they are having in November. I was wondering, do you think that going to this workshop could have any positive effect on my application? If I don't go, will it look bad? I'm only about 1.5 hours from Western, so it wouldn't be too difficult to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I got an email today from Western about a workshop they are having in November. I was wondering, do you think that going to this workshop could have any positive effect on my application? If I don't go, will it look bad? I'm only about 1.5 hours from Western, so it wouldn't be too difficult to go.

What was the title of the workshop?

One thing about Western, it that it is a very small school, so it is highly likely that you will be remembered if you go and mention you are an applicant. If that helps your application or not...:confused: Just don't make an a$$ out of yourself 'cause they will remember that too:smuggrin:

:luck:in applying. I really enjoyed my time there.

It says that the agenda will include:
- Curriculum Overview
- Student Panel
- Admissions Timeline
- Mock PBL Session
- Lunch With Faculty & Students
- Interactive Clinical Skills Stations

I'm going to be in Monterey the day before racing my car, but hopefully my dad will go with me so he can drive back to SoCal Friday night since I'll be exhausted.

Do I need to dress up for something like this?

Edit: The title is VetMed Applicant Workshop

Members don't see this ad :)
When did they say this one is going to be? I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. They had one last year on a Saturday in early November, but I couldn't make it. I was really hoping to go to it this year!

I figure the more exposure you get to a vet school, the better- not only for meeting people there but also to see if it is a place that you would like to be!

When did they say this one is going to be? I haven't gotten that e-mail yet. They had one last year on a Saturday in early November, but I couldn't make it. I was really hoping to go to it this year!

I figure the more exposure you get to a vet school, the better- not only for meeting people there but also to see if it is a place that you would like to be!
It is November 10th.

It is November 10th.

Thanks Kymmy!
Go figure :( , it is scheduled for the only weekend in November that I can't make it!! But I really do want to see Western, so I guess I will be making a trip out there to see it a little later!

I wouldn't worry about how it will make you look as an applicant. I went last year (I lived in Pomona) and ended up leaving early and I don't think they had any idea I was even there. I was granted an interview shortly after the workshop (declined due to acceptance elsewhere) which made me think that whether or not I went to the workshop did not have an impact on my application. If you are truly interested in Western U, I'd go check it out, it was informative and you can do a mock PBL. This portion of it was important to me because I wasn't sure how I felt about PBL and it gave me the opportunity to semi- test it out.

i'm going! :D for those that are going, maybe we should plan dinner together afterwards or something...so that we can finally put faces to the screen names :) hehe..

I probably won't be back to SoCal until midnight on Friday night (coming from Monterey), so I'll be staying at my boyfriends about 45 min west.

I would definitely be interested in going to dinner afterwards tho. :)

Okay so I got an email today asking for volunteers on the part of students and grads (I am in Michigan so it's a no go for me). Basically it is the applicant workshop (so everyone going is an applicant). This is the time to get a feel for Western's curriculum and for the applicants to get to talk to current students/past grads.

It will NOT have an impact on your application. They just want to give the applicants the chance to see the school and learn more about the curriculum. It should be fun and relaxed. I wouldn't worry about dressing professional in suits and all, just wear nice pants/top (like a business casual).

Have fun for those who go:D

Oh and if you are not from around, you may want to look up the weather forcast (I remember quite a few people who did not realize how warm it can be in Pomona during the middle of November:oops:

It will NOT have an impact on your application. They just want to give the applicants the chance to see the school and learn more about the curriculum. It should be fun and relaxed. I wouldn't worry about dressing professional in suits and all, just wear nice pants/top (like a business casual).

I am very interested in learning about the curriculum, but will any of the admissions staff be present?

I am very interested in learning about the curriculum, but will any of the admissions staff be present?

Yes. But they are not there to make any applicant decisions. They are there just to introduce Western to you.

Don't worry you will have a good time:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else flying in for this?

Can someone recommend a hotel that's in a good area?

Let's set up a time/place to meet for dinner!

Thanks! It looks like there are rooms with either two full beds or a queen bed in a suite, running $90-$110 a night. Is anyone interested in splitting a room? I promise not to bite (too hard).:laugh:
A horse person from the internet, that's pretty scary. :scared:

A horse person from the internet, that's pretty scary. :scared:

Wasn't this supposed to be a team, supportive environment?? I guess we can't push our beliefs on other people+pity+

Wasn't this supposed to be a team, supportive environment?? I guess we can't push our beliefs on other people+pity+
Hehe, I feel most at home with internet people who love animals. I am on roughly 15 other forums (don't post on all of the regularly), but this is the only one where I feel as though I have the same passion and ambitions as everyone else. :love:

When the date gets closer, I'll pm you my cell and we can meet up. :)

I'll be there, and would love to meet up to have pizza Sat night. I'll also be there Friday and Monday all day and will be checking out the area. I'm staying with a friend in Pomona.
PM or email me and I'll send over my cell.

I'll be there, and would love to meet up to have pizza Sat night. I'll also be there Friday and Monday all day and will be checking out the area. I'm staying with a friend in Pomona.
PM or email me and I'll send over my cell.
PM sent. :)

so wut did u guys think of the workshop? i thought it was quite interesting....especially the part where we participated in the mock pBL case..