Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I checked the website but it only shows them running to Albany, Corvallis, and a few other, seemingly farther places. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes, Albany is like right where it is.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if any COMPNW students could offer me some counsel. I have been accepted (happily) to this wonderful school. I very much enjoyed everything about my interview experience and was pretty impressed with the facilities and emphasis on research. However, I have been accepted to an MD school with a solid reputation. I still have one more MD interview to come as well. I have placed a deposit at the MD school, but I am torn about placing the 1K deposit at COMPNW. I have spent sooo much this cycle, and I already have a seat at another school that didn't cost me more than 100$. I don't feel ready to cut ties with Western, because I am still seriously considering it, but it's hard to drop that kind of dough. I also feel bad holding a seat when there are likely so many other deserving applicants just waiting for that call. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! I also he a great time at the meet and greet on December 5! Thanks to anyone who responses:)

How long does it take to decide where to go to school? Save your money. Go to your MD school. Cancel your other interview. Be happy. The end.

2nd Year COMP-NW student here. Feel free to ask any questions about the school, rotations, residency, etc.
For the residency statistics and match rates they showed us on the interview date many of the students matched in California. I believe this is because those stats are showing COMP-Pomona as COMP-NW has not graduated its first class (I believe the first class graduates this year). My question is do you have any idea what the chances are that the 4th year students will match in Oregon residency positions? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Arizona and trying to decide between KCUMB and Lebanon (tough decision!!). Are there apartments to live nearby in Lebanon?
there are new apartments that are within walking distance to the campus. I believe it is called cascade ridge

I wonder if any COMPNW students could offer me some counsel. I have been accepted (happily) to this wonderful school. I very much enjoyed everything about my interview experience and was pretty impressed with the facilities and emphasis on research. However, I have been accepted to an MD school with a solid reputation. I still have one more MD interview to come as well. I have placed a deposit at the MD school, but I am torn about placing the 1K deposit at COMPNW. I have spent sooo much this cycle, and I already have a seat at another school that didn't cost me more than 100$. I don't feel ready to cut ties with Western, because I am still seriously considering it, but it's hard to drop that kind of dough. I also feel bad holding a seat when there are likely so many other deserving applicants just waiting for that call. Any advice or opinions is much appreciated! I also he a great time at the meet and greet on December 5! Thanks to anyone who responses:)

There is absolutely no reason why you should come here if you have an acceptance to a US MD school. Drop the seat at COMP-NW, go to the other MD interview, and enjoy your summer.

For the residency statistics and match rates they showed us on the interview date many of the students matched in California. I believe this is because those stats are showing COMP-Pomona as COMP-NW has not graduated its first class (I believe the first class graduates this year). My question is do you have any idea what the chances are that the 4th year students will match in Oregon residency positions? Thank you!

There have been Northwest Track students that have graduated after doing their clinical rotations up here that have successfully matched in Oregon. So, technically, it is possible to match in Oregon.

However, it is impossible to answer your real question which is: out of the students who want to stay in Oregon, how many are able, regardless of specialty?

It isn't impossible, but it depends on the specialty and your own individual application. Coming from Western won't help, but it probably isn't that harmful, overall.

I will be driving down from Tacoma the day before and might be able to swing by Portland and get you (depending when your flight arrives).

I drive a pretty sweet Kia Sedona minivan complete with some residual dog hair from my golden retriever. I will also be staying with my Grandmother while in Lebanon, so it may be helpful to find someone staying in the same hotel to share a ride with to get to the school in the morning. (If not we can work that out too.)

I posted on your profile! I just didn't want to bog down the thread with a specific situation.

Yes, Albany is like right where it is.

Oh okay. It says the driving distance from Albany to campus is about 20m, so I wasn't sure. Are you or anyone else coming the morning of from Albany? I wouldn't have a way to get to the interview on time other than a taxi/rental car at that point.

There have been Northwest Track students that have graduated after doing their clinical rotations up here that have successfully matched in Oregon. So, technically, it is possible to match in Oregon.

However, it is impossible to answer your real question which is: out of the students who want to stay in Oregon, how many are able, regardless of specialty?

It isn't impossible, but it depends on the specialty and your own individual application. Coming from Western won't help, but it probably isn't that harmful, overall.
could you expand on your statement "Coming from Western won't help, but it probably isn't that harmful, overall" why wouldn't it help to match in an Oregon residency if you are coming from Western? It was my understanding that out of all the DO schools, going to COMP-NW will be your best chance to match in Oregon since you are "trying-out" for the residency during 3rd and 4th year rotations

could you expand on your statement "Coming from Western won't help, but it probably isn't that harmful, overall" why wouldn't it help to match in an Oregon residency if you are coming from Western? It was my understanding that out of all the DO schools, going to COMP-NW will be your best chance to match in Oregon since you are "trying-out" for the residency during 3rd and 4th year rotations

It totally depends upon the specialty. You could spend all of third year at a place without a residency you're interested in. It might help if you happen to network with the right person, but COMP-NW doesn't have the kind of name recognition anywhere that's going to make someone pay attention.

Of course, if you're hoping to do an AOA specialty that is offered at Sam Health, then sure it would help. But, usually, when people say "Oregon" they usually mean "Portland."

I will either be interviewing this Saturday (1/10) or February 7th. I'll be driving down from Portland the day before, if anyone wants to carpool. I emailed Jeannie about student hosting but if that doesn't work out then I'll try to find a hotel. Good luck to everyone else interviewing still! =D

Reactions: 1 user
I will either be interviewing this Saturday (1/10) or February 7th. I'll be driving down from Portland the day before, if anyone wants to carpool. I emailed Jeannie about student hosting but if that doesn't work out then I'll try to find a hotel. Good luck to everyone else interviewing still! =D

Hey! I'm flying into Portland on the 9th, but I won't get there until 8:17pm. If you don't mind waiting, I'd love to share a ride. Also, I just heard back from the student hosting, so I think you'll be good there.

Members don't see this ad :)
It totally depends upon the specialty. You could spend all of third year at a place without a residency you're interested in. It might help if you happen to network with the right person, but COMP-NW doesn't have the kind of name recognition anywhere that's going to make someone pay attention.

Of course, if you're hoping to do an AOA specialty that is offered at Sam Health, then sure it would help. But, usually, when people say "Oregon" they usually mean "Portland."
But aren't many of the COMP-NW rotation sites in Portland? I was told that by admissions .... I would think the real issue is that Portland just isn't that big and there aren't that many residency slots period in Portland (outside of OHSU)?

But aren't many of the COMP-NW rotation sites in Portland? I was told that by admissions .... I would think the real issue is that Portland just isn't that big and there aren't that many residency slots period in Portland (outside of OHSU)?

The real issue is that many rotations are either not at places with residences or, more frequently, without the residency you may be interested. You are also correct that there aren't a whole lot of programs outside of Portland, either. The reality is, unless you're from OHSU, your home institution probably won't help a whole lot, regardless of where you're from.

Besides, what would you expect the admissions department to say?

It's on you to get into your residency of choice.

Second year student here: we haven't had a full graduating class yet, so we are ALL curious to see how many Oregon residency spots we will be able to get during the next match cycle. The rumor that has gone around, again I said, rumor, is that OHSU residencies aren't overly fond of DO students. But in the last few years, we have been making waves among other programs. Sam Health, Providence, etc. all really like our students which hopefully will translate to good residency placements.

With the new mergers of residency accreditation, its really hard to say what will happen by the time your class (class of 2019) graduates. If you like COMP-NW and are planning to work hard in med. school, then I wouldn't worry too much about residency at this stage.

Thanks very much to the current students for their thoughts on this residency issue--the thing is, I can't help but be very concerned about residency because even if I am lucky enough to get in, I will still be governed by the requirements of my joint custody agreement re my kids from my previous marriage, and I won't be able to just pick up and go wherever for residency. So I am curious -where are COMP's Portland rotations? Do most of those sites not have accredited residency programs affiliated with them?

Last edited:
Thanks very much to the current students for their thoughts on this residency issue--the thing is, I can't help but be very concerned about residency because even if I am lucky enough to get in, I will still be governed by the requirements of my joint custody agreement re my kids from my previous marriage, and I won't be able to just pick up and go wherever for residency. So I am curious -where are COMP's Portland rotations? Do most of those cites not have accredited residency programs affiliated with them?

Another current second year here,
The majority of the residency spots in Oregon are through OHSU and from what I could find on the ACGME website (without an ERAS account) there are 88 MD residency positions in Oregon and approximately 29 osteopathic residency spots per year thru Samaritan in Corvallis (found through the AOA website). That does not give us a lot of options considering there are about 105 grads from COMP-NW every year, 200 from OHSU and Oregon is a very desirable place to live right now, especially Portland. Going to school at COMP-NW is not going to hurt your chance of Oregon residency but as Chemdoc said, we have no clue if it will help until we see match results in March for the 2015 class. Even then, one year is a small sample size.
The Portland rotation tracks are with doctors affiliated with Providence, Legacy and Adventist Health Systems. We will be rotating with preceptors affiliated with any of these institutions and you will not just be with one system the whole time. You may have a rotation with preceptor who works mainly out of Legacy Emmanuel for one rotation and then be in a clinic with a physician affiliated with Providence for the next. Providence and Legacy both have some residency programs and I know some of OHSU's residency programs do rotate at these hospitals so it may be possible to impress preceptors in your third year that could help with residency. You could also make connections and get letters of rec in third year that could help get your foot in the door for 4th year audition rotations in Portland. I am rotating in Portland next year and hope to make connections that could lead to a residency in state but the fact remains that we have very little control for where we end up in residency, especially if you're looking to specialize. The best chance to get your program of choice is to kick ass on boards and impress on your rotations. Even with that, where we match is where we match and unfortunately, limiting your applications to just one state could result in a high chance of not matching regardless of where you go to school. I hope some of this was helpful and answered some questions. Best of luck

Hey everyone!

I was recently put on the pre-interview waitlist and I was wondering if anyone had information regarding rates of people getting interviews, what they did in order to get an interview, etc. Any insight at all is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Doesn't seem like this thread gets as much traffic as some of the other schools. However, I was wondering if there is someone out there that interviewed at COMP-NW on Jan 10th who has received a response. Anybody?

Doesn't seem like this thread gets as much traffic as some of the other schools. However, I was wondering if there is someone out there that interviewed at COMP-NW on Jan 10th who has received a response. Anybody?
I interviewed that day, still no response.

Interviewed on the 10th as well. I was hoping for a decision sooner since they stated deposits are due on Feb 1st if accepted. That gives us under a week to make a decision and scrounge up the initial $1k :thinking:

Interviewed on the 10th as well. I was hoping for a decision sooner since they stated deposits are due on Feb 1st if accepted. That gives us under a week to make a decision and scrounge up the initial $1k :thinking:
Preach!

I interviewed on Jan 10th. I just got the acceptance call from Dr. Pham! Good luck to everyone else!
OOS 3.77 gpa cumulative and 3.7 science. MCAT 28

Reactions: 2 users
For rejections and wait list, do they call, email, or snail mail?

Can anybody suggest a hotel to stay at near the school?

For rejections and wait list, do they call, email, or snail mail?
I was rejected today via email.
I must admit it hurts a little, but I am very excited to know exactly where I am going to med school.
Best of luck to everyone else!

Can anybody suggest a hotel to stay at near the school?
Hey I am assuming that you are interviewing? If so, I'd stay at the Phoenix Inn in Albany. That is where the pizza social is. Also, if you call and ask for the COMP-NW group rate the room is about $76 a night.

Accepted today!!! :soexcited:via phone call this morning from Dr. Pham.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I am assuming that you are interviewing? If so, I'd stay at the Phoenix Inn in Albany. That is where the pizza social is. Also, if you call and ask for the COMP-NW group rate the room is about $76 a night.
Thanks for the advice! Yep- got offered an interview today. Is there a pizza social for every interview date?

Thanks for the advice! Yep- got offered an interview today. Is there a pizza social for every interview date?

I think their is a pizza social for each interview but don't quote me on it.

I was accepted Monday morning but have yet to receive an email from the school. Does anyone know how to log on to their school email account? Was I supposed to receive instructions in the snail mail or email or something?

I was accepted Monday morning but have yet to receive an email from the school. Does anyone know how to log on to their school email account? Was I supposed to receive instructions in the snail mail or email or something?
Instructions and registration info should come through snail mail within a few days.

Just received an interview invite (option for feb 7th or march 7th) on Monday evening around 6:00. OOS LizzyM ~65 if that helps anyone else out there

lectures optional? recorded? posted online soon? Thanks!

When calling admissions who/what number have any of you used regarding your application?

Congrats to all accepted!

Anybody with the March interview date need a ride from PDX? I get in around 4:45 on Friday and am renting a car. I am staying with friends in the area, but am willing to drop you off where ever you need. Message me if interested.

PS. Anybody hear anything about a pizza party for this interview date? I have only heard about them for the earlier dates.

I got my letter in the mail on Saturday with all of the info for email and registration (I currently live in GA), so it should come soon if you don't already have it. It looks like we have until the 15th of this month to pay the 1st deposit.

Just received an interview invite (option for feb 7th or march 7th) on Monday evening around 6:00. OOS LizzyM ~65 if that helps anyone else out there
I'm going down for my interview on the 7th as well. Are you from the area as well?

I'm going down for my interview on the 7th as well. Are you from the area as well?
I am not from the area. Actually currently living in New England so I will likely be flying out to PDX friday the 6th