Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those accepted, don't forget to join the class Facebook group...if Andrea will let you in. :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_110660035671599&ap=1

i am currently accepting bribes from anyone who hopes to join the group; pumpkin spice lattes from starbucks will definitely get you in;)

but to add on what nads said (ps i feel dirty referring to you as nads); this was my second tour of the building and i can't believe the changes in just a month. we are going to have so much space to study because the school is built for 200 students-it's going to be awesome. and yes this is a totally friendly environment. everyone involved in this project is so excited about it- I like the feeling of being welcomed with open arms and hopes for the future, rather than being looked down on/put through the ringer because we are first years/applicants. i can't believe how big the interview group was on saturday! i think they said 58 applicants and the conference room was totally full compared to when i interviewed in nov. good luck to those of you who are waiting; try not to go crazy like i did-this includes stalking your mailman...you might scare the poor guy.

Members don't see this ad.

i am currently accepting bribes from anyone who hopes to join the group; pumpkin spice lattes from starbucks will definitely get you in;)

but to add on what nads said (ps i feel dirty referring to you as nads); this was my second tour of the building and i can't believe the changes in just a month. we are going to have so much space to study because the school is built for 200 students-it's going to be awesome. and yes this is a totally friendly environment. everyone involved in this project is so excited about it- I like the feeling of being welcomed with open arms and hopes for the future, rather than being looked down on/put through the ringer because we are first years/applicants. i can't believe how big the interview group was on saturday! i think they said 58 applicants and the conference room was totally full compared to when i interviewed in nov. good luck to those of you who are waiting; try not to go crazy like i did-this includes stalking your mailman...you might scare the poor guy.
I maintain that a little stalking is healthy....everything in moderation ;) and I can't stop incessantly checking my phone/email....gonna be a long week or two...

Hey does anyone have any photos of the inside of the new building? Or anyone want to take a few pics and post them here or on the facebook site when they get a chance? I'm almost on the verge of driving down this week to just check it out...hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am headed there on Tuesday so I can see if I can take a few pictures and post them to the facebook page ;)

Hey does anyone have any photos of the inside of the new building? Or anyone want to take a few pics and post them here or on the facebook site when they get a chance? I'm almost on the verge of driving down this week to just check it out...hahaha.

I maintain that a little stalking is healthy....everything in moderation ;) and I can't stop incessantly checking my phone/email....gonna be a long week or two...

Oh yes, we stalk. Hence why we stalked all of you last Saturday :)

I apologize for not taking any photos, I felt like it would have been awkward with all of the interviewers with us- plus we didn't have much time to stop and take them.
I feel a little dirty calling you Pipstick, Pipstick ;)

Western University will now be the second medical school in Oregon. Who here is interested in collaborating with OHSU students to work toward common goals, like expanding training opportunities, improving healthcare in Oregon, and fostering good relationships between the osteopathic and allopathic schools?

This sounds like a good idea. I would think OHSU students would be especially interested in this. I heard from a 3rd year that I went to undergrad with, that their most recent USMLE scores were some of the lowest in school history. So the schools freaking out right now looking to expand as many training opportunities, especially when it comes to test prep, in the next few years since the word is that OHSU has to get reaccredited soon.

Western University will now be the
second medical school in Oregon. Who here is interested in collaborating with OHSU students to work toward common goals, like expanding training opportunities, improving healthcare in Oregon, and fostering good relationships between the osteopathic and allopathic schools?

Has it been two weeks yet?? ugggg the waiting is killing me.

Has it been two weeks yet?? ugggg the waiting is killing me.
Awww...tell me about it! Everytime I see someone has posted on this page my heart drops to my stomach because I think somebody has gotten a call before me....ugh...waiting :thumbdown:

Awww...tell me about it! Everytime I see someone has posted on this page my heart drops to my stomach because I think somebody has gotten a call before me....ugh...waiting :thumbdown:

I haven't let my phone leave my side. Every time it rings I cross my fingers...:eek:

I haven't let my phone leave my side. Every time it rings I cross my fingers...:eek:

I checked the mail today and I saw a packet!

But it wasn't for me...darn you, mom! =)

Does anyone (maybe those ppl who have been accepted and are further along in the process) know what the actual tuition for COMP-NW is going to be?

Does anyone (maybe those ppl who have been accepted and are further along in the process) know what the actual tuition for COMP-NW is going to be?

They told us in the presentation on interview day that it would be the same as Western COMP in Pomona...which is around 45K, I believe...

Members don't see this ad :)
Western University will now be the second medical school in Oregon. Who here is interested in collaborating with OHSU students to work toward common goals, like expanding training opportunities, improving healthcare in Oregon, and fostering good relationships between the osteopathic and allopathic schools?

Hey Hopefuldoc,
I hope I'm not speaking out of line here since I'm not sure which school I will be attending next year, but I personally think that would be a great idea. Both OHSU and Western c/o 2015 students have a unique opportunity to set the tone for future classes. Collaberation between the two schools would do nothing but enrich both institutions. Regardless of where I wind up I would be sincerely interested in setting up some form of positive working relationship between the two schools.

This sounds like a good idea. I would think OHSU students would be especially interested in this. I heard from a 3rd year that I went to undergrad with, that their most recent USMLE scores were some of the lowest in school history. So the schools freaking out right now looking to expand as many training opportunities, especially when it comes to test prep, in the next few years since the word is that OHSU has to get reaccredited soon.

Dunno if I'm reading this wrong but that statement sounds a little d***ish. In my opinion both schools are great institutions and and students should be very excited to be accepted to either.

As an aside, good luck to everyone who is interviewing here in the next few weeks!

They told us in the presentation on interview day that it would be the same as Western COMP in Pomona...which is around 45K, I believe...

My bad, I meant total cost of attendance, not tuition alone. We were told the same thing (that tuition will be the same as Pomona) but the living expenses will be different.

My bad, I meant total cost of attendance, not tuition alone. We were told the same thing (that tuition will be the same as Pomona) but the living expenses will be different.

I was told that the tuition and cost of attendance in terms of financial aid budget would be the same as in Pomona for at least the first year because that is the only financial information to go off of. Although the tuition is not worked out yet the estimated cost of attendance will be approx. $71,820, that is if you need $22,000 for living, personal expenses and transportation as would be needed in southern california. But I believe I could get by with a lot less transportation and living expenses in Lebanon due to the real estate being more affordable and not having to commute very far. Hope this helps.

Hey Hopefuldoc,
I hope I'm not speaking out of line here since I'm not sure which school I will be attending next year, but I personally think that would be a great idea. Both OHSU and Western c/o 2015 students have a unique opportunity to set the tone for future classes. Collaberation between the two schools would do nothing but enrich both institutions. Regardless of where I wind up I would be sincerely interested in setting up some form of positive working relationship between the two schools.

Dunno if I'm reading this wrong but that statement sounds a little d***ish. In my opinion both schools are great institutions and and students should be very excited to be accepted to either.

As an aside, good luck to everyone who is interviewing here in the next few weeks!

Yeah I'm not so sure that was the best way of describing OHSU by Premed Ed. However I did hear similar things from a current 3rd year. I guess that particular class is a little pissed that the school didn't give them adequate time to study for the USMLE and didn't have the money to give them a prep class for it. But by the sounds of it, its changing after this year so it should only get better and better with time.

Hey Hopefuldoc,

Sorry for coming off as d***ish...but theres no need to call me derogatory names. I was just trying to state what one of my third year friends told me. I'm not trying to bash on OHSU or any medical school. I just really think people should know the ins and outs of a school before attending there. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Sorry for coming off as d***ish...but theres no need to call me derogatory names. I was just trying to state what one of my third year friends told me. I'm not trying to bash on OHSU or any medical school. I just really think people should know the ins and outs of a school before attending there. I apologize if I offended anyone.

You are right, I am sorry for the comment. I guess before I write these things down I should take a moment of reflection to see how I appear (e.g. d***ish). I actually heard a similar comment, but I additionally heard that OHSU has made some pretty serious adjustments to their USMLE prep in the last two years. Once again sorry about the comment Premed Ed.

If anyone from the Feb. 12th interview group is fortunate enough to get a call or letter from the school this week could you please let us know on here. Just like to know how soon everyone is getting the news.

Good luck to all you hopefuls! :luck:

Hope I didn't come off as d***ish :smuggrin:

If anyone from the Feb. 12th interview group is fortunate enough to get a call or letter from the school this week could you please let us know on here. Just like to know how soon everyone is getting the news.

Good luck to all you hopefuls! :luck:

Hope I didn't come off as d***ish :smuggrin:

Today, I actually trek out to my mailbox and halfway there I realized it's President's Day...

*rim shot*

Today, I actually trek out to my mailbox and halfway there I realized it's President's Day...

*rim shot*

Ha I forgot too. I sprinted across the house to answer my phone like a crazy person. Turned out to be a telemarketer...and then I realized they're not gonna be callin today :smack:

HYPOTHESIS: Staring at my phone hard enough will either A)make it ring and I will hear my status B)I will receive a mobile email stating my status (hopefully an acceptance)
MATERIALS AND METHODS: One standard LG Touch smartphone and countless hours wasted at work holding the phone and NEVER glancing away.
DATA AND RESULTS: Staring time: approximately 3 hours and 33 minutes..today, alone
Results: Several texts asking if I have heard anything as well as countless, worthless emails
CONCLUSION AND FOLLOW-UP: A solid conclussion will not be disclosed until I receive the desired information. At least 10-12 hours of further research today and possibly through the end of this week.
:smuggrin:

This sounds like a good idea...

I hope I'm not speaking out of line here since I'm not sure which school I will be attending next year, but I personally think that would be a great idea. Both OHSU and Western c/o 2015 students have a unique opportunity to set the tone for future classes.

So it sounds like some people are in favor of this idea.

thomprya: like you I'm sort of in both camps at this point. And I especially like your point that this year we can set the tone for the future.

So the question is: Where do we start? I'm not sure if much significant work can happen before classes start, but I think we should consider an event that brings students together. I'm thinking an event with some structured networking early on during the event, but that turns purely social after a while. This could be a great way to get the ball rolling.

Feedback?

HYPOTHESIS: Staring at my phone hard enough will either A)make it ring and I will hear my status B)I will receive a mobile email stating my status (hopefully an acceptance)
MATERIALS AND METHODS: One standard LG Touch smartphone and countless hours wasted at work holding the phone and NEVER glancing away.
DATA AND RESULTS: Staring time: approximately 3 hours and 33 minutes..today, alone
Results: Several texts asking if I have heard anything as well as countless, worthless emails
CONCLUSION AND FOLLOW-UP: A solid conclussion will not be disclosed until I receive the desired information. At least 10-12 hours of further research today and possibly through the end of this week.
:smuggrin:

haha..If I had the time I would do the same. I teach a lab and I warned them I would be keeping my phone on and running out of the room if it rings.:D

I called today to find out what was going on because I have a deposit pending elsewhere. Anyhow, the committee has met and calls/letters should be going out later this week. Good luck to everyone!

Perhaps the people doing the phone observation experiments should get a webcam on their phones while they're asleep. For the most complete data, of course. ;)

I called today to find out what was going on because I have a deposit pending elsewhere. Anyhow, the committee has met and calls/letters should be going out later this week. Good luck to everyone!

Perhaps the people doing the phone observation experiments should get a webcam on their phones while they're asleep. For the most complete data, of course. ;)

Done and Done...and to think....I was about to go to sleep and ruin the entire project :oops:

Thanks for the update! Trying to avoid flooding Ana with phone calls.

Last edited:
So I got a call from Jess last week because I accidentally sent in the Pomona signature page instead of the Lebanon one. She told me that on Thursday the committee met and that they meet once a week. Does anyone know if they could have gone over all 51 interviewees last Thursday? That seems a little intense, but that's what it sounded like from what has been said on this forum. Anyways, obviously I'm worried because apparently all of my stuff wasn't together for my file (got an e-mail that it's in today), but also that seems like a rushed decision, not much time to discuss each application. Most likely nobody knows, but I had to ask. :)

So I got a call from Jess last week because I accidentally sent in the Pomona signature page instead of the Lebanon one. She told me that on Thursday the committee met and that they meet once a week. Does anyone know if they could have gone over all 51 interviewees last Thursday? That seems a little intense, but that's what it sounded like from what has been said on this forum. Anyways, obviously I'm worried because apparently all of my stuff wasn't together for my file (got an e-mail that it's in today), but also that seems like a rushed decision, not much time to discuss each application. Most likely nobody knows, but I had to ask. :)

I picture it being like the movie Gladiator. They call out someones name and then everyone goes around with a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down.":thumbup:

haha. Well, I guess that would be quick. At least we get to live if we don't get in. :D
If anyone does know anything about this PLEASE tell me!! Thanks :)

haha. Well, I guess that would be quick. At least we get to live if we don't get in. :D
If anyone does know anything about this PLEASE tell me!! Thanks :)

If you're asking if the committee is done going through the applicants from the most recent cycle in Lebanon, OR, the answer is yes. When I was on the phone with Martha today I demanded to know the outcome of your application, but she refused to tell me. Sorry. :(

On a more serious note, does anyone know if the administration has a contingency plan in place in case the building is not ready for use by the beginning of August? I mean, on a project like this a lot of things can go wrong and even once the building is done, they still have to fill it with cadavers, pictures of AT Still, and all the other stuff that makes a house a home.

I wasn't asking if you demanded to know the status of my application I just wanted to know if they'd finished going through all the interviewees. Pretty reasonable question, didn't deserve a sarcastic answer, thanks though.

Last edited:
I wasn't asking if you demanded to know the status of my application I just wanted to know if they'd finished going through all the interviewees. Pretty reasonable question, didn't deserve a sarcastic answer, thanks though.

Sorry I was just joking. I didn't use enough smilies to convey my point.

Anyhow, the straight answer is that they are indeed done and that they should be sending out letters this week. Good luck!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the fact that your file was possibly incomplete. When I called today I was told I didn't have all my LORs in, even though I had already been invited to and attended an interview. I will work out.

It's not a problem. :):D;):oops::p:cool: (There's enough smileys for us all) From what Jess said it sounded like they weren't reviewing my application because the wrong signature page got sent in. I do hope they did and I would guess they reviewed yours even without the LOR's, especially since they didn't call you about it. That's why I was so curious if they had gone through all the apps. Ah well, I guess we will see. Well, GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Last edited:
If you're asking if the committee is done going through the applicants from the most recent cycle in Lebanon, OR, the answer is yes. When I was on the phone with Martha today I demanded to know the outcome of your application, but she refused to tell me. Sorry. :(

On a more serious note, does anyone know if the administration has a contingency plan in place in case the building is not ready for use by the beginning of August? I mean, on a project like this a lot of things can go wrong and even once the building is done, they still have to fill it with cadavers, pictures of AT Still, and all the other stuff that makes a house a home.

per dr. krone, the building is ahead of schedule, projected to be completed in April, move in may/june. i have no doubt in my mind that it will be completed, having been inside twice and seeing the crazy progress it has made in a month. spoke with Luke today about how it's looking; lockers have gone in and some rooms are complete already as far as construction goes

Sorry I was just joking. I didn't use enough smilies to convey my point.

Anyhow, the straight answer is that they are indeed done and that they should be sending out letters this week. Good luck!

Also, I wouldn't worry about the fact that your file was possibly incomplete. When I called today I was told I didn't have all my LORs in, even though I had already been invited to and attended an interview. I will work out.

Why do I have to live in Ohio... The possible letter :xf:will take that much longer!!!:idea:

Why do I have to live in Ohio... The possible letter :xf:will take that much longer!!!:idea:

I was just thinking that the measly hour time difference from Oregon to Montana is devastating...I imagine they're just starting to have their morning coffee and within 45 min or so they'll start making phone calls(I can't even think about waiting for a letter!)....I've been up since 0500 Oregon time, so I have had a couple hours to think about their morning schedule ;)

I was just thinking that the measly hour time difference from Oregon to Montana is devastating...I imagine they're just starting to have their morning coffee and within 45 min or so they'll start making phone calls(I can't even think about waiting for a letter!)....I've been up since 0500 Oregon time, so I have had a couple hours to think about their morning schedule ;)

I have been up since 0330 West Coast time...I was going to call at 9 eastern time, but I figured that there was probably nobody there at 6 am...:sleep:

Finally caved and called.

Don't be discouraged if you don't receive a letter this week. From what I was told, not all of the reviewing is complete and you will either recieve a letter this week or next at the latest...for the Feb. 12th group that is.

funny-baby.jpg

The wait is a killer.

Last edited:
I feel bad for any disinformation I may have spread. I do know that I was told that the commitee had met and reviewed but perhaps they meant the group I was a part of? My last name starts with a B so maybe they did it in alphabetical order.

Anyhow, good luck to everyone. I agree with the baby that the wait is the worst. I didn't think that this process could have any more anxiety until after the interview. Argh!

Andy

I broke down and called as well...:oops:
I was told everyone from Feb 12th interview had been reviewed and decided on, but the committee had not released that information yet. The lady I spoke with said she was going to email them today and that they would start calling people tomorrow and everyone should know by Friday whether yes :D or no :( or waitlist :confused:

I broke down and called as well...:oops:
I was told everyone from Feb 12th interview had been reviewed and decided on, but the committee had not released that information yet. The lady I spoke with said she was going to email them today and that they would start calling people tomorrow and everyone should know by Friday whether yes :D or no :( or waitlist :confused:

Hmmm...I'd much rather go with your version, but who did you speak with?

Hmmm...I'd much rather go with your version, but who did you speak with?

I just called one of the admissions counselors number listed on westerns website...She took my name.. I was a little reluctant but I guess if they already made their decisions being a little over zealous wont affect me :xf:

Great news guys! I checked today and turns out I saved a ton of money on my car insurance!!

:highfive:

Sorry, had to do that. Just been so quiet in here :lame:.

Hope we all hear some good news soon!

Great news guys! I checked today and turns out I saved a ton of money on my car insurance!!

:highfive:

Sorry, had to do that. Just been so quiet in here :lame:.

Hope we all hear some good news soon!

Haha..thanks, I viciously scrolled down to see what was written...as long as we're sharing stories about our day...I am at work having a busy day as a tech for stress tests...ironically I am markedly more stressed than any of the patients...treadmill for 4 minutes..HA..try applying to med school :laugh:

it'll be okay! They made us (November) wait four weeks before we got a letter- plus our letters came before the calls so we all thought we were rejected.. PLUS the acceptance came in a small envelope! Talk about stress!
I know the process is soul draining, more so than anything else I have experienced.. this was my second year applying so I felt extra stressed.
Just try to stay optimistic and go for a ten mile run or something :)
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
Besides, like I said, you all looked great in your suits that weekend, shoe ins for sure!

Haha..thanks, I viciously scrolled down to see what was written

Lol. Glad I woke someone up!

I'm guessing this place is so quiet cause the party's been moved to the facebook group :eyebrow:.

Just gotta keep waiting for that golden ticket :xf: