Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate waiting, lol. Anyway, I know that if you call them, then they can tell you what your status is over the phone. But if they call you, then it's them telling you that you are accepted. Well, that's my understanding of this phone tag game.

And I am totally on the same page with you worrying. I've been anxious for over a week, lack of sleep and heart pangs and everything (hahaha). But like JamesLMT said, it's all a waiting game now. I hope we both hear back from them soon though!! :xf:

They only call you if you are accepted, as a congratulations. You are correct on that. You need to learn to breath and meditate! The next four years are all about waiting on things, test scores, step scores, residency placement, etc. lol.

But I feel like we should know something by now, especially since others already know their own status.

Idk, the only person I have seen that knows his status is someone that called in with a valid reasoning for an early decision. You are correct that your decision should be coming out soon based on the last ones. Keep in mind that the committee usually meets on Thursday (again based on past evidence) and perhaps most all of the decisions were made today. Always stay positive!

Members don't see this ad.

She told me that while the alternate list is only for 2011, they "may accept" some students for 2012. I hope that "may" becomes something more affirmative :)

That is really cool! I know that while I would be disappointed at bit, I would definitely wait a year to go to this school.

That is really cool! I know that while I would be disappointed at bit, I would definitely wait a year to go to this school.

That is interesting because I thought they said in my interview group that they don't do pending seat acceptances that guarantee a spot for the next year...hopefully they are changing their minds....I want to go to school this year too but it might be kinda cool having a whole year to do whatever you want and knowing you'll be in med school the next :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's what I was told by Jess, but who knows. It's really up to the higher-ups, but it would still be awesome if it's true :D

Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to call them tomorrow regarding my status? I don't want to bother them too much (I've already been emailing Jess at least once a week), especially if they're still deciding. But I feel like we should know something by now, especially since others already know their own status.

@sbhatt85 - Did they ever take your updates/extra LORs? I have one that I want to send, but I don't know if they'll even take it now. Thanks!

When I called about this last week, they told me that the committee had already met (but hasn't made a decision) so I couldn't send anything in. The only time we can send additional materials in would be if we end up being wait-listed.

When I called about this last week, they told me that the committee had already met (but hasn't made a decision) so I couldn't send anything in. The only time we can send additional materials in would be if we end up being wait-listed.

Thanks for the reply. Seeing how they meet on Thursdays, I hope they've come to a decision already! Good luck to both of us :xf:

So I left a message for the school to call me back about my application status. I wanted to wait until later in the day to call them, but I work in the afternoons, so I couldn't call them while they were still there apparently. Has anyone from the 3/26 interview heard back from the school yet? @sbhatt85

Good luck to all the people on the bubble and/or waiting to hear. I know it's excruciating. If it makes you feel any better, I'm am stoked to have a chance to go to school with people that are this excited to be here. Much rather be with them than with someone who slid in but would rather be someplace else. Those kids can suck it!

So I left a message for the school to call me back about my application status. I wanted to wait until later in the day to call them, but I work in the afternoons, so I couldn't call them while they were still there apparently. Has anyone from the 3/26 interview heard back from the school yet? @sbhatt85

Yes, I've heard back from them. Jess called me on Monday to let me know that I was accepted. She told me to expect a letter with further instructions soon, which I'm eagerly awaiting. I hope that all those still waiting to hear get a message soon and that it's good news. Good luck!

I didn't call them on Friday, because I had called Jess on Thursday and she took down my name. I have to limit myself to once a week...haha! :)

Hopefully we'll get a congratulatory phone call tomorrow! :xf:

Last edited:
Just got a call from Jess.......I got denied :( Best wishes to those who are still waiting. Looks like I'll have to try again for next year. This sucks......

Just got a call from Jess.......I got denied :( Best wishes to those who are still waiting. Looks like I'll have to try again for next year. This sucks......

Aww.. I'm sorry! I know how you feel! Well, AACOMAS opens up on may 5th! That is less than a month away, start thinking now how you can improve your application and come back twice as strong. Submit your application on June 5th and bring it on next year!

I was one of the March 26th interviewers and decided to call today since I hadn't heard anything. I was told I'm on the alternate list - which made me simultaneously feel happy (I can still get in!) and anxious (I realllyyyyy want to go to this school!) haha. Jeannie told me the wait list is approximately 30 people - so we'll have to wait and see!! :xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was one of the March 26th interviewers and decided to call today since I hadn't heard anything. I was told I'm on the alternate list - which made me simultaneously feel happy (I can still get in!) and anxious (I realllyyyyy want to go to this school!) haha. Jeannie told me the wait list is approximately 30 people - so we'll have to wait and see!! :xf::luck:

This is the best attitude to have! I realized this a little later than I should have. Welcome to the boat fellow waitlister. :)

Okay, so I emailed Jess/Jeannie to ask what the reason for my rejection was for this year, and Jeannie said that only problem they had was my low MCAT score, which is something I can totally work on (Verbal totally kicked my butt, and I did okay on PS and BS). She also mentioned that I should work on my nervousness, and I can totally work on that as well over time. She said my science GPA is good, so I'm trying to be optimistic about this! I can do this for next year!! :thumbup:

Okay, so I emailed Jess/Jeannie to ask what the reason for my rejection was for this year, and Jeannie said that only problem they had was my low MCAT score, which is something I can totally work on (Verbal totally kicked my butt, and I did okay on PS and BS). She also mentioned that I should work on my nervousness, and I can totally work on that as well over time. She said my science GPA is good, so I'm trying to be optimistic about this! I can do this for next year!! :thumbup:

Right on! I was in the same spot as you last year, but I didn't even have the balls to ask what I could do better. Good for you for taking the right first steps. June is right around the corner; good luck the next cycle.

Here here!! Cheers to the alternate list!...It's good therapy for those of us (who shall remain unamed) who have a little trouble with patience, not to be confused with patients---I'd love to have those :laugh:...Anyway, best of luck! Hopefully some movement is coming soon! And @SNDO--great job on being so proactive right off the bat..I am certain you gained some points with Western and best of luck this round...about ready to go again...

And @SNDO--great job on being so proactive right off the bat..I am certain you gained some points with Western and best of luck this round...about ready to go again...

This morning, Dr. Pham gave me a call basically saying he'd like to work with me on my weak points so that I can have a much better shot for next year. Of course, that would mean having to drive down to Oregon every so often for his workshops, but I thought that was really nice of him to offer that to me :)

This morning, Dr. Pham gave me a call basically saying he'd like to work with me on my weak points so that I can have a much better shot for next year. Of course, that would mean having to drive down to Oregon every so often for his workshops, but I thought that was really nice of him to offer that to me :)

I'd like to think a nice drive is worth an opportunity to be a doc? :)

I would definitely jump on this offer. When your name comes around again next year, the name recognition will help a lot.

Good luck!

To all the SDN'rs who didn't make it in this year: don't let it get to you! Having gone around the horn once before, I can tell you that when you *do* get accepted (and you will... you wouldn't make it this far if you weren't qualified for this path) it will be even sweeter when you get that call. That extra year to try something new gives you time to reflect. I feel that after a short period of nasty rejection feelings, my commitment was made 100% stronger. After you look down straight in the face of that choice for a second time and you don't blink, that means you *are* a doctor just waiting to be trained. I only met a few doctors in my life that made it on their first try (and I know a bunch of doctors). Stay strong, (!!!)pay attention to that exit interview(!!!), and spend a bunch of time around patients to remind you over the year why you are doing this. It will happen. Good luck!

I didn't call them on Friday, because I had called Jess on Thursday and she took down my name. I have to limit myself to once a week...haha! :)

Hopefully we'll get a congratulatory phone call tomorrow! :xf:

No news from the front SB?

I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Best of luck to those of you on the alternate list.

I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Best of luck to those of you on the alternate list.

I say this from the bottom of my heart...I truly love you :love:...I assume you got an acceptance somewhere else so best of luck and I hope I get your spot :xf:

I say this from the bottom of my heart...I truly love you :love:...I assume you got an acceptance somewhere else so best of luck and I hope I get your spot :xf:

Whoa.... young one... we have to see who submits deposits by the due date to see how over accepted they are. Lol But thank you none the less, you have made someone else be able to get into their first choice school by doing so.

Last edited:
Whoa.... young one... we have to see who submits deposits by the due date to see how over accepted they are. Lol

Haha....okay okay...I still feel a little smitten at the moment...although it will be directed toward anyone who gives up their spot so nobody should feel that special :D

Haha....okay okay...I still feel a little smitten at the moment...although it will be directed toward anyone who gives up their spot so nobody should feel that special :D

I hear zann is sending chocolates to the next person that drops... just sayin'

Keeping the hope alive. :)

I hear zann is sending chocolates to the next person that drops... just sayin'

Keeping the hope alive. :)

I emailed them this week withdrawing. Sucks to loose 2k but Ive chosen a different school for family reasons. One more spot for someone....

I emailed them this week withdrawing. Sucks to loose 2k but Ive chosen a different school for family reasons. One more spot for someone....

Ummmm... so two questions for you...

What's your address?

What kind of chocolate do you like?

...Thanks for making the opportunity for someone else to go to their top choice school. :) Sorry about the 2k

Ummmm... so two questions for you...

What's your address?

What kind of chocolate do you like?

...Thanks for making the opportunity for someone else to go to their top choice school. :) Sorry about the 2k

Chocolates?!?....I will guarantee someone my firstborn child if I get their spot :D....and yeah, bummer about the 2k

Any updates, witty comments, words of encouragement, sob stories, or miracles?

I'm 98% positive I will also be withdrawing my spot from Western. Got accepted in November and paid my deposit in January. Do I have chocolates coming my way? lol. Good luck to everyone!

I'm 98% positive I will also be withdrawing my spot from Western. Got accepted in November and paid my deposit in January. Do I have chocolates coming my way? lol. Good luck to everyone!

I sent the last batch of chocolates, it's zann's turn. I hear she is a world renown chocolatier. Place your orders now!

Withdrawing my acceptance, got accepted @ OHSU. CHOCOLATE PLEASE :)

Has anybody had the opportunity to speak to Jess or Jeannie lately? Or receive information of any sort for that matter? I know they are in the move currently.

Last edited:
Oh man....I don't know if I have enough money for all this chocolate...I'm just a peasant working at the hospital :)...congrats on the OHSU acceptance!!! I'll buy a lottery ticket this weekend and we'll see what happens...@James, I haven't talked to them lately. I shall shoot them an email today to inquire about a little update...unless you already have?

Oh man....I don't know if I have enough money for all this chocolate...I'm just a peasant working at the hospital :)...congrats on the OHSU acceptance!!! I'll buy a lottery ticket this weekend and we'll see what happens...@James, I haven't talked to them lately. I shall shoot them an email today to inquire about a little update...unless you already have?

Revison, received an email... Btw... I bought more chocolate... just waiting to go out. Lol

Last edited:
Hi all! Hope everyone is doing GREAT! Wanted to post that I saw on KMTR news that COMP-NW was featured on the news channel. They also said that we have a vet and RN school graduating people in 2015? But whatever it was their top story of the night! Here is the link

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/stor...l-ready-to-launch/ovs35GUpa0KJJTrgGSE-9A.cspx

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing :)

It wouldn't be difficult to have nursing students graduate by 2015 if they have a two year transfer-in BSN program, but the vet part sounds like the news people got confused. Someone at the school probably said something like "We're going to graduate our first class in 2015, and we're going to have nurses and vets here too" and they got confused.

I'm not surprised that Western is going to expand the NW campus given their tremendous growth in Pomona (I actually asked about growth when I interviewed)... but if it's true that veterinary medicine is one of the first programs that they're expanding then I'm a little surprised, since Oregon already has a vet school just down the road in Corvallis. And while one medical school in a state the size of Oregon is really low, thus justifying adding COMP-NW, I don't think that one vet school for this size state is really that low.

I'm a little torn whether I think it's a good idea to have a podiatric medicine school open up here. On the one hand, I'm told that with all the diabetes in our country we desperately need more DPM's to do diabetic foot care that family physicians either don't want to do or aren't fully trained to do. On the other hand, reading studentdoctor forums I get the impression that you can get into a DPM program with an MCAT of... like... 20 or something crazy like that. I mean, c'mon that's ridiculous, the bottom 20% of all test takers? So I wonder about the people who go into podiatric medicine. Plus I'm told that, while DPM's are needed, that they aren't necessarily able to operate practices that actually make money. I know a DPM who closed her solo practice about a year ago because she couldn't pay the bills... compensation was too low.

Anyway, that's just some thinking out loud.

Their growth model makes me wonder whether they're going to eventually have COMP-WA and COMP-AK, etc. etc.! :D But I'm super excited that this school is opening up, and I hope that me and my OHSU classmates can get to meet some of you peeps sometime!

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to wish everyone on the waitlist GOOD LUCK! Even though I was rejected from this school, I still had a good time interviewing in March, and felt that this school is worth reapplying for next year. But I've been accepted pending an open seat at another school for this year, and if there are no open seats this year, then I'm pre-accepted for next year. So I'm going with this school, due to various other reasons as well.

Anyway, again, GOOD LUCK!! I know what it's like having to re-apply when you know you're definitely good enough. I've applied for 3 cycles, and this cycle was the first time getting interviews. I'm super happy that I've finally been accepted, and I only wish great things for those who I've met on SDN :)

Last edited:
I wonder if they will offer deffered acceptances this year, I read that the Pamona campus already has several offers of deffered acceptance. Oh the waiting game... I need to go on a month long humanitarian trip to some country without internet/phone access...

In other news, four people just in this thread have withdrawn and OHSU final decisions & may 16th are just around the corner. I know that the public tour day is May 17th, anybody going to that?

Last edited:
Gave up my spot here... as much as I loved the school and the idea of staying in the NW for medical school... good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Gave up my spot here... as much as I loved the school and the idea of staying in the NW for medical school... good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

I see you got into GW.. Congrats. Hopefully there will be some waitlist movement after the tours. :xf:

Also for those that are waiting for how the OSHU decisions effect our waitlist, the school's deadline for the form to remain on the waitlist is May 27th. After this deadline, the waitlist movement of OSHU should begin..

Last edited:
OSHU waitlist is moving quite substantially. Take it for what it is. Anybody in contact with the school get any updates about the current class count or waitlist etc? I hope they take a look at it before I have to finish up/submit my 2012 AACOMAS app. Oy.

OSHU waitlist is moving quite substantially. Take it for what it is. Anybody in contact with the school get any updates about the current class count or waitlist etc? I hope they take a look at it before I have to finish up/submit my 2012 AACOMAS app. Oy.

I'm just curious, what's the waitlist movement count so far?

I'm just curious, what's the waitlist movement count so far?

I think there is rumor it's deeper this year then other years. Right now it's around 40 or so.

Btw... I received a call from Jeannie.... Western NW class of 2015 here I come. :love:

I think there is rumor it's deeper this year then other years. Right now it's around 40 or so.

Btw... I received a call from Jeannie.... Western NW class of 2015 here I come. :love:

DUDE! Congrats! :thumbup:

Super excited for ya bud!!! Congrats :thumbup:

I was told that I had been rejected in February, but I got a letter saying I was picked as an alternate in March and a call today that I had been accepted! Lol. I guess they didn't know what to do with me so they just accepted me. :p