WCUCOM v. ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you guys think of WCUCOM now in 2020?
Things are definitely improving, the board scores for the class of 2021 were great, 98% first time level 1 pass rate. Class of 2020 had some solid matches.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think of WCUCOM now in 2020?

I ended up choosing ACOM over WCUCOM but I will say that it sounds like they had a rough start but have had some significant improvements.
Had I not been accepted elsewhere I wouldn’t have hesitated to go to WCUCOM but I really like Hattiesburg and Laurel.

There’s a new school in Monroe LA that I received a II from and turned down because it’s brand new but it’s a VCOM school so the curriculum is already set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for answering! Why would you choose ACOM?

I went to ACOM and am intimately familiar with all of its problems but I’d say overall it’s the better choice. WCU has a track record that is questionable. Unless something has drastically changed (which is may have), they have some of the lowest board score (no fault of the students. It’s school preparation) and for the class of 2018 they didn’t place something like 8% of their graduating seniors. Not 8% didn’t match, 8% did not have a job come July 1st.

DO schools in general will muddy the matched vs places rate. Usually they’ll say 99% matched when really it means placed. Usually it’s low 80%s that truly match. But no WCU did not place almost 10% of their class.

Even if they’ve fixed that issue, it’s a recent issue and Acom hasn’t had that problem. Just be aware that they may try to force you into primary care.

Please help! ACOM or WCUCOM???
In 2021, the schools are virtually indistinguishable, i would go to the cheaper school, WCUCOM is an older school, we also have been starting more residencies in the state,(2 more IM residencies, the PD is a faculty at our school, a psych residency, the PD is also a faculty at our school, a rural FM residency in the delta that is hubsite for us just started last year ), there is also a plan to start a school run clinic in the next few years and we are building a new building on campus for the medical school. I am not sure where the above poster got their info, there was a school back in 2018 that placed only 90% of their class and there was a lot of speculation if it was WCUCOM, but according to this it wasn't:
Class of 2018 "match/placement" rate was 97%
Now I can personally say that the school has improved a lot since the last few years, attrition has gotten better, the quality of our matches have gotten better and are on par with ACOM, but I am not sure if ACOM has been able to start as many residencies as WCUCOM, and thats a huge plus in my opinion, theres 1 IM residency in Dothan but thats it. Meanwhile Hattiesburg has 3 residencies, and we work very closely with the programs, as many of the residents are clinical faculty at our school as well. Hattiesburg is a significantly better location than Dothan, Hatty is just an hour from the beach and 1.5 hours to Nola. You will succeed at any school, and primary care will be focused at any DO school, but you can match into whatever you want from either school(provided you have the app and score etc..) ACOM is newer and has the nicer campus but we are building a brand new building on ours as well, we also just opened a brand new student center which is very nice supposedly. At the end of the day, I would visit the schools if you can, and pick where you fit better.

Last edited:
I mean you don't really want to go to a brand new GME since there are so many unknowns. But ACOM has an IM and will be starting and EM in Dothan, as well as a half dozen FM/IM programs at rotation sites. There have also been talks about GS in Panama city and psych. Both school are okay at best and you will get a decent eduction out of either

I mean you don't really want to go to a brand new GME since there are so many unknowns. But ACOM has an IM and will be starting and EM in Dothan, as well as a half dozen FM/IM programs at rotation sites. There have also been talks about GS in Panama city and psych. Both school are okay at best and you will get a decent eduction out of either
Again I have no clue about what gme ACOM is starting, I only know about the gme that WCUCOM has started in reality.(not planning,there’s many more in planning at wcucom as well). We also have a hubsite in NY that has everything from FM to gen surgery, derm and optho, where many of our alumni have gone, and sure it’s not about these new gme programs being very desirable, but it does make a difference when something doesn’t go right (failed classes, repeated year, bad or failed boards) it’s a huge plus to have affiliated prorgams with faculty at your school that makes it easier to match to them etc especially when you have red flags. Other than that you can be successful at any school like I said.

Last edited:
okay, don't take comments on your school so personally, No one is trying to attack you and people are just giving their opinions.

okay, don't take comments on your school so personally, No one is trying to attack you and people are just giving their opinions.
Lol who is attacking my school? I am just giving my opinion on a question that someone asked on this thread?