***Wayne State SOM Everything***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does clinical experience mean? Other than volunteering in hospitals, I don't really have any. Two of my research projects were medically related. Do you think if I did research at my university's hospital I'd be ok for hospital exposure?

Ill be very honest with you....Not having direct patient exposure is going to hurt your application...from your stats (MCAT and GPA) you seem like a very strong candidate since both are above their average...lets hope that is enough...because i know my friend who applied with similar GPA and MCAT that was waitlisted just because he had 0 clinical experiances and he was in state...i guess the best thing to do is before the interiview get some patient exposure like volunteer at a local hospital or clinic or even nursing home and talk about it in the interivew...they ask you if you want to mention something...you could mention it there and your interviewer will probably put it on your application and mention it when he presents it to the rest of the committe. However i could be wrong they might just like ur GPA and MCAT...and feel like ur research experiance is enough
Good luck mate

Members don't see this ad.

Ill be very honest with you....Not having direct patient exposure is going to hurt your application...from your stats (MCAT and GPA) you seem like a very strong candidate since both are above their average...lets hope that is enough...because i know my friend who applied with similar GPA and MCAT that was waitlisted just because he had 0 clinical experiances and he was in state...i guess the best thing to do is before the interiview get some patient exposure like volunteer at a local hospital or clinic or even nursing home and talk about it in the interivew...they ask you if you want to mention something...you could mention it there and your interviewer will probably put it on your application and mention it when he presents it to the rest of the committe. However i could be wrong they might just like ur GPA and MCAT...and feel like ur research experiance is enough
Good luck mate

Do you happen to be from Dearborn by any chance?

Good luck mate

What I was asking is, what constitutes direct patient exposure? I've been volunteering at a local small hospital, visiting patients for over a year now. Back in high school I volunteered at the 3rd largest hospital in Canada. But this is only visiting and talking to patients, as well as helping them participate in various activities.

Is this not clinical experience? Am I supposed to be treating patients or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering did anyone else receive somewhat surprising early rejections from Wayne St....i.e. were not even given a secondary?? As an IS, average GPA (around 3.6)...and 12V11PS10B, with good EC's I would have expected at least a chance at a secondary?? Maybe there were too many IS apps or something so they just started cutting?

Just wondering did anyone else receive somewhat surprising early rejections from Wayne St....i.e. were not even given a secondary?? As an IS, average GPA (around 3.6)...and 12V11PS10B, with good EC's I would have expected at least a chance at a secondary?? Maybe there were too many IS apps or something so they just started cutting?

That seems unusual. Are you sure you won't be getting a secondary?

I'm sure they are swamped with files at the moment. I had to call to make sure that I was complete because they forgot to send me the email.

Wait are u saying that you got rejected without a secondary or you heard of someone that did. I have heard from the addmissions office that Wayne State has a cut off for GPA and MCAT for giving a secondary. I heard its somewhere like 3.5 for Science GPA and 27 MCAT....however i could be wrong. the best thing to do is call the addmissions office too make sure and if that is the case for you (not recieving a secondary etc being rejected) then set up a quick addmissions meeting and they will tell you what happened....
Peace out bro...
PS GO SPARTANS

Wait are u saying that you got rejected without a secondary or you heard of someone that did. I have heard from the addmissions office that Wayne State has a cut off for GPA and MCAT for giving a secondary. I heard its somewhere like 3.5 for Science GPA and 27 MCAT....however i could be wrong. the best thing to do is call the addmissions office too make sure and if that is the case for you (not recieving a secondary etc being rejected) then set up a quick addmissions meeting and they will tell you what happened....
Peace out bro...
PS GO SPARTANS

The cutoffs CANNOT be that high for a secondary, as I am definitely short of the 3.5 science mark, and I got a secondary. I do know of some people that had stats at or above their average matriculant level, but got rejected pre-secondary. They do review your file somehow before granting a secondary, and this has to include looking at more than just number cut offs. It seems that if they see anything they dont like, they dont send you a secondary.

I just got the acceptance on Oct. 24th. At the interview, it seemed like they were really trying to emphasize the fact that there was amazing clinical opportunities as a medical student. They were also playing up Wayne's reputation as a place that produces good clinicians, and how that really helps for residency placements. Anyone have any input on this?

Oh, and just to chime in, I work at a free clinic run by med students four hours a week.

I just got the acceptance on Oct. 24th. At the interview, it seemed like they were really trying to emphasize the fact that there was amazing clinical opportunities as a medical student. They were also playing up Wayne's reputation as a place that produces good clinicians, and how that really helps for residency placements. Anyone have any input on this?

Oh, and just to chime in, I work at a free clinic run by med students four hours a week.

I have many close friends that went to Wayne State for Medical School....the thing that they say stands out most about Wayne state is the clnical oppurtunities because the Detroit Medical Center just being across the street with soo many hospitals and so many different types of cases..You really do see almost everything in your rounds....However i doubt that has any thing with helping in residency placements because its research involvment that gives the edge in that category....The majority of students at Wayne are family/internal medicine residents....This is the 411 ive been told...
good luck

According to two different doctors I've spoke with, they regard Wayne students as being the most prepared for actually practicing medicine. That is, out of the four Michigan med schools (MSU allo, MSU osteo, Wayne and U of Michigan), they both wanted to make sure I was applying to Wayne, as they think it is the best educational opportunity in this state. I think that says a lot, considering neither of them received their degrees from Wayne...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many close friends that went to Wayne State for Medical School....the thing that they say stands out most about Wayne state is the clnical oppurtunities because the Detroit Medical Center just being across the street with soo many hospitals and so many different types of cases..You really do see almost everything in your rounds....However i doubt that has any thing with helping in residency placements because its research involvment that gives the edge in that category....The majority of students at Wayne are family/internal medicine residents....This is the 411 ive been told...
good luck

This is probably true, but they do have a lot of students that specialize though. I think I mentioned on another thread that Wayne matched 5 students into Neurosurgery in 2007, including 1 at Northwestern and 1 at UCLA. (Source: http://uncleharvey.com/index.php/wiki/2007_Match_List_for_Neurological_Surgery/)

This is the match list from 2 years ago, I couldn't find the full one for 2007.

http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/pdf/matchlistrevision4april1206.pdf

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know how Wayne regards non-traditional applicants? I have my interview there Nov 20th and I want to make sure I am prepared! I am married and have a three year old so I am sure the "how will I balance med school and family life" will come up. Also, is it inappropriate to ask about their childcare facilities/policies in an interview? or should I save that for the tour?

Do you happen to be from Dearborn by any chance?

Hey Pickles i met that guy once....he is yemini....are you yemini......im paki.....i met him like at a cedar point trip.... aite now its my turn to name someone from wayne

Ruff Ryder (Rafi)

Wayne State University Land of oppurtunity... (does anyone else remember that commercial)

I HATED that commercial, people still sing it to this day. I am a FOB and when I first heard "Wayne State" on that commercial I kept trying to find the State of Wayne on a map at school. It never quite hit me...

From what I heard about Wayne State, they also have a upper limit on GPA and MCATs too. Some of my friends with good stats were rejected outright pre-secondary because WS felt they would definitely get in to a better school. I'm not sure what their stats were or if this is actually true.

From what I heard about Wayne State, they also have a upper limit on GPA and MCATs too. Some of my friends with good stats were rejected outright pre-secondary because WS felt they would definitely get in to a better school. I'm not sure what their stats were or if this is actually true.

I'm pretty sure that this is not true, unless 3.8, 39 is not considered high. (A friend of mine got the secondary with these numbers).

There had to of been some oversights/problems at Wayne.... Myself and 3 of my friends didn't receive secondaries... but what we DID receive were letters saying that we haven't completed our secondaries... Apparently they forgot to send out some granted secondaries?... :laugh:

I withdrew, but still--- if you haven't received a secondary, and you think you should have.... get on that phone and ask!... don't wait for the Ghost-deadline to pass =)

Yep I am one of those surprised individuals. I received secondaries from VCU, WVU, Toledo and couple other schools that I have no ties to, but Wayne decided that my 3.5/32/above average ECs were not enough to grant me a supplemental. I am a little disappointed because WSU was my top choice but hopefully I;ll get in somewhere else. Oh and I am in state and white.

Are u sure about this... My roomate had a 4.0 and a 39 on the MCAT and still went through the whole process and was accepted at the end. Granted he withdrew and went to a top 20 school but i dont think Wayne State cares if you are in the upper limit....thts because people in Michigan get screwed over for Med schools. UofM accepts half of its applicants from out of state schools and MSU has an upper limit cut off (plus they are weird about their applicants). Im pretty sure Wayne doesnt care...because many MI resident 36+ 3.9+ students would consider going to Wayne if they didnt get into UofM because its in state tuition.

What I was asking is, what constitutes direct patient exposure? I've been volunteering at a local small hospital, visiting patients for over a year now. Back in high school I volunteered at the 3rd largest hospital in Canada. But this is only visiting and talking to patients, as well as helping them participate in various activities.

Is this not clinical experience? Am I supposed to be treating patients or something?

This question hasn't been answered yet. Could someone tell me how to get "clinical" experience?

Just got an email notifying me that I am complete, yay!

This question hasn't been answered yet. Could someone tell me how to get "clinical" experience?

What you just described is clinical experience dude, you're good to go!

Can everyone that has been interviewed write in their completion date and stats? Just so we all have an idea of where they are....

Does anyone know how Wayne regards non-traditional applicants? I have my interview there Nov 20th and I want to make sure I am prepared! I am married and have a three year old so I am sure the "how will I balance med school and family life" will come up. Also, is it inappropriate to ask about their childcare facilities/policies in an interview? or should I save that for the tour?

from what i've seen so far, wayne has a lot of nontrad students. of course you have your share of fresh of the college-type of students here, but at the same time, i was surprised by the number of people who had some career changes/raised families/etc. i think we have a 52 yo M1. haha during our clinmed sessions, we had to practice taking blood pressure on each other and he ended up with a really high bp. the prof recommended that he get that checked out soon.

I have been complete at WSU since Oct. 23. The Admissions Committee receptionist said that I should wait 2 weeks or so to be informed of a change in status. I was a varsity athlete at a Big Ten school, volunteered at the local university hospital for about a year and half, shadowed a neonatalogist at a local hospital, tutored AP bio students for a year, have been doing an independent research project in a plastic surgery department since April this year. My GPA is 3.84 and probably won't change since I'm grauduating this semester; MCAT is 32O but very unevenly distributed (verbal can kiss my ...).

Should I just throw in the towel? I have applied to many competitive schools and from reading posts on SDN, I'm beginning to think my application is hopeless. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been complete at WSU since Oct. 23. The Admissions Committee receptionist said that I should wait 2 weeks or so to be informed of a change in status. I was a varsity athlete at a Big Ten school, volunteered at the local university hospital for about a year and half, shadowed a neonatalogist at a local hospital, tutored AP bio students for a year, have been doing an independent research project in a plastic surgery department since April this year. My GPA is 3.84 and probably won't change since I'm grauduating this semester; MCAT is 32O but very unevenly distributed (verbal can kiss my ...).

Should I just throw in the towel? I have applied to many competitive schools and from reading posts on SDN, I'm beginning to think my application is hopeless. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

You have an excellent shot, keep your head up. Don't judge yourself based on SDN standards. I think Wayne will give you an interview, thats just my opinion.

Im guessing your white.....cuz those are amazing stats

Hey ill quote something from Scrubs that will make u feel better...
"Anything in life thats worth having will not come easy"

CheifSaab...

I'm Asian-American. But why would that matter...?

On the other hand, thanks for the encouragement.

I share your sentiments about VR. I have been complete since 10-29 (at least that is when I got the email). Maybe we'll interview together based on timing, if they do decide to give me an interview. I am pretty confident you will get invited, you have an excellent application/stats.

Hmm.. I am a Canadian student who is currently commuting to Waynestate everyday.
Will I be considered an In-state student for the school, or an out of state student?
Also, Is it really true about "accepting 5 canadians"! That is really shocking!

Hmm.. I am a Canadian student who is currently commuting to Waynestate everyday.
Will I be considered an In-state student for the school, or an out of state student?
Also, Is it really true about "accepting 5 canadians"! That is really shocking!

For med school Canadians are considered out of state for tuition purposes. Sorry man, looks like you will have to dish out the 50k+ a year.

I haven't heard anything about the acceptance rate of Canadians, but a lot of Canadians go to undergrad at Wayne and the school takes a lot of kids from their undergrad so that may help.

Hey I've been complete since about Oct. 23 too (had to phone in because they forgot to send me an email). I'm hoping to hear soon...because I haven't heard anything from anyone yet.

I am interviewing at wayne soon, and I attend wayne state for undergrad. Will it look really bad if I dont stay for the tour and lunch? i want to leave so i can make it to my lab that day . obviously the interview is more important and i would make up the lab some other time but i really dont want to have to do that....

I am interviewing at wayne soon, and I attend wayne state for undergrad. Will it look really bad if I dont stay for the tour and lunch? i want to leave so i can make it to my lab that day . obviously the interview is more important and i would make up the lab some other time but i really dont want to have to do that....

Hey i interviewed there in September and the interviewer asked me if i was going to stay for the tour but i said No because i had an Exam that day and had to drive back to East Lansing. He procedeed to give me a weird look and said
"I highly recommend taking the tour as you can learn a lot from it"
But i told him that i had already taken a tour of the Medical School before at a Symposium and then seemed ok wid it....

Towards the end of the interview he stated that he highly recommend i visit some students at the Medical School to get a better understading of the campus.....

I was freaked out after the interview because i didnt stay for the tour and lunch....but end the end i was ACCEPTED...soooo i guess its ur call

I would think that if you went there as an undergrad they would understand you not taking a tour, or maybe scheduling to tour at another time when it is more convenient for you.

On another topic, Wayne called me yesterday and tried to reschedule my interview. The poor lady was so confused when I told her I already bought a plane ticket. I graduated from Oakland University (Michigan) so I guess she stopped reading my file there and assumed I was still in Michigan. I had to explain I graduated 3 years ago and have moved to Virginia since then. Luckily she worked it out so I could keep the same interview day and time!

I would think that if you went there as an undergrad they would understand you not taking a tour, or maybe scheduling to tour at another time when it is more convenient for you.

On another topic, Wayne called me yesterday and tried to reschedule my interview. The poor lady was so confused when I told her I already bought a plane ticket. I graduated from Oakland University (Michigan) so I guess she stopped reading my file there and assumed I was still in Michigan. I had to explain I graduated 3 years ago and have moved to Virginia since then. Luckily she worked it out so I could keep the same interview day and time!

I interviewed at wayne last week. The tour is definately not mandatory, and it plays no part in your admission. However, out of courtesy, i would at least tell the lady at the admission office that you won't be going on the tour because of XYZ... so that the tour guide doesn't have to wait for you. It might look bad if they have to wait to see if you will come back and end up wasting time...

I'm a premed student at Wayne and was able to attend their Premedical Syposium last year. The main lady in admissions, Dawn, told us that if you are close enough to smell the patient, that it counts as clinical experience.

does anyone know when Wayne will start to send out more interview invites? its killing me not knowing whats going on.

what kind of stats are people getting interviews with now? I have a 3.67 and a 32.... im instate as well

I'm a premed student at Wayne and was able to attend their Premedical Syposium last year. The main lady in admissions, Dawn, told us that if you are close enough to smell the patient, that it counts as clinical experience.

:laugh: you used your pipeline name for SDN! that's gutsy.

That being said, working at the DMC you will smell a lot of patients, I know I did...

On another note, I hope Wayne gives me an interview sometime soon because I do not want them to see my grades for this semester. Can anyone who has received an interview share their stats?

I have my interview there on Nov 20th!!! My stats are: 3.8 GPA (3.7 sci, 3.8 overall), 31R, in-state, non-traditional applicant with 3 years of research and multiple publications, very limited clinical experience (just shadowing), and some volunteer activities.

I was complete at Wayne Sept 17th, my invite to interview came about 3 weeks afterwards. I am sure you guys will hear something soon! Good luck!! :)

I have my interview there on Nov 20th!!! My stats are: 3.8 GPA (3.7 sci, 3.8 overall), 31R, in-state, non-traditional applicant with 3 years of research and multiple publications, very limited clinical experience (just shadowing), and some volunteer activities.

I was complete at Wayne Sept 17th, my invite to interview came about 3 weeks afterwards. I am sure you guys will hear something soon! Good luck!! :)

Hey MDrunner, congrats on the interview! Did they notify you by snail mail or email?

I've been complete for about 2.5 weeks now, and I am anxiously waiting for some good news!

:laugh: you used your pipeline name for SDN! that's gutsy.

That being said, working at the DMC you will smell a lot of patients, I know I did...

On another note, I hope Wayne gives me an interview sometime soon because I do not want them to see my grades for this semester. Can anyone who has received an interview share their stats?

I interviewed at Wayne Oct. 3 (I think...). 3.62 GPA, 32 MCAT.

Hey MDrunner, congrats on the interview! Did they notify you by snail mail or email?

I've been complete for about 2.5 weeks now, and I am anxiously waiting for some good news!

Snail mail, because they include a parking swipe card in the letter so you cna park for free!

Does its super traditional curriculum put its med students at any disadvantage?

Why does Wayne State NOT change it after all this time? :confused::confused:

Snail mail, because they include a parking swipe card in the letter so you cna park for free!

Great...it took 2 weeks for my secondary to arrive from Kingston...hopefully I'll get something soon.

Spriteguy, when were you complete/when did you get your invite for Wayne?

Status
Not open for further replies.