Wayne State SOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrbtz44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for everything related to the Wayne State SOM Class of 2015! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah booooy! I'm gonna go ahead and consider myself OOS accepty #1 :cool:

Yeah booooy! I'm gonna go ahead and consider myself OOS accepty #1 :cool:

Haha, congrats OOS accepty #1! Well one good thing is you won't have a problem with our winters (since you're coming from Montana)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know the info about the grading system at Wayne for the first 2 years? I talked to some of the med students about it, but I was wondering what you guys took from it...I think they rank their students at the end of the 2nd year? And I believe it isn't pass/fail?

Anyways, hopefully I am wrong, because depending on the grading system, the whole environment in the class changes.

I believe it's P/F/H.

Does anybody know the info about the grading system at Wayne for the first 2 years? I talked to some of the med students about it, but I was wondering what you guys took from it...I think they rank their students at the end of the 2nd year? And I believe it isn't pass/fail?

Anyways, hopefully I am wrong, because depending on the grading system, the whole environment in the class changes.

I'm pretty sure it is pass/fail/honors. From my understanding, your grade for a test is converted into a "Z" score (I think that's what they call it). Your total number for all tests must be above a pass/fail cutoff. For example, a 70% on a test gives you a Z score of 100 and you have to have a total of 400 "points" at the end of 4 tests to pass (and I think a Z score of 600+ is honors). Admittedly, I'm not crazy-positive I have all the details correct, but I'll investigate and let you know if I'm completely nuts! :D

I'm pretty sure it is pass/fail/honors. From my understanding, your grade for a test is converted into a "Z" score (I think that's what they call it). Your total number for all tests must be above a pass/fail cutoff. For example, a 70% on a test gives you a Z score of 100 and you have to have a total of 400 "points" at the end of 4 tests to pass (and I think a Z score of 600+ is honors). Admittedly, I'm not crazy-positive I have all the details correct, but I'll investigate and let you know if I'm completely nuts! :D

Hey Guys, I am currently a year one med student and ill try to explain a few things about grades. The Z score is just a ranking system and has nothing to do with passing or failing. So Basically you will just know where do you stand compared to the class. For instance 500 is the mean , 600 and above is honors, and anything below 500 is below the class mean but that does not mean someone has failed.

The university grading system is based on 75 % gauranteed passing for most classes I believe . In other words if you end up with 75 % or above in your class or exam you are guaranteed to pass even if the class's mean is like 92. ALso , we were told , in previous years the passing cutoff was lowered to 69 or 70 % and is called the danger zone. However you do not find out what the cutoff curve will be until the end of your class but if you are getting 75 or above then you don't have anything to worry about; you are guaranteed to pass no matter how high the mean is.

Aside from that for those of you that have been accepted early I recommend you guys study embryology or read it before you start. Try to get the book or notes from some med students. Embryology is a part of histology however they start it before the second exam and that's the hardest (you usually take anatomy , histology and embryology exams all in one day). The second anatomy exam is the hardest because it's all about the skull and small nerves and the practical is challenging so most people don't have as much time to study histology and on top of that embryology (which you will be taking as part of the histo exam from exam 2 until the end). Also histology/embryology final is cumulative ( about a binder and a half of double sided notes ) so if you can read embryo ahead of time it would help you alot especially that embryology is very hard to visualize and could be challenging to some.

Oh and by the way Wayne state started this year a new grading system where your third and 4th year are each worth double the points ( grade- wise) than first and second year.

I hope I was able to help you guys as much as you could or I know so far. Ill keep checking this site every now and then and check if there's other questions you guys might have.

Good luck and try to enjoy your time as much as you can since your life will be completely different when you enter medical school .

P.S. sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors in advance !

Hey Waynestate2014, Thanks for the input. Do you mind, if I put your post on the facebook 2015 group discussion? I'll start studying embryology, as & when I get some time!
Hey Guys, I am currently a year one med student and ill try to explain a few things about grades. The Z score is just a ranking system and has nothing to do with passing or failing. So Basically you will just know where do you stand compared to the class. For instance 500 is the mean , 600 and above is honors, and anything below 500 is below the class mean but that does not mean someone has failed.

The university grading system is based on 75 % gauranteed passing for most classes I believe . In other words if you end up with 75 % or above in your class or exam you are guaranteed to pass even if the class's mean is like 92. ALso , we were told , in previous years the passing cutoff was lowered to 69 or 70 % and is called the danger zone. However you do not find out what the cutoff curve will be until the end of your class but if you are getting 75 or above then you don't have anything to worry about; you are guaranteed to pass no matter how high the mean is.

Aside from that for those of you that have been accepted early I recommend you guys study embryology or read it before you start. Try to get the book or notes from some med students. Embryology is a part of histology however they start it before the second exam and that's the hardest (you usually take anatomy , histology and embryology exams all in one day). The second anatomy exam is the hardest because it's all about the skull and small nerves and the practical is challenging so most people don't have as much time to study histology and on top of that embryology (which you will be taking as part of the histo exam from exam 2 until the end). Also histology/embryology final is cumulative ( about a binder and a half of double sided notes ) so if you can read embryo ahead of time it would help you alot especially that embryology is very hard to visualize and could be challenging to some.

Oh and by the way Wayne state started this year a new grading system where your third and 4th year are each worth double the points ( grade- wise) than first and second year.

I hope I was able to help you guys as much as you could or I know so far. Ill keep checking this site every now and then and check if there's other questions you guys might have.

Good luck and try to enjoy your time as much as you can since your life will be completely different when you enter medical school .

P.S. sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors in advance !

Hey 2015MD, it's totally fine with me you can post it if you want.

That would have been nice for us. Problem with that is that fourth year grades don't matter and residencies don't see them for applications.

Thanks for the replies and tips! That makes me feel a little better...I thought it might have been letter grades. I do have to admit though, Wayne does seem pretty rigorious.

What kind of clinical opportunities do you guys have in your first and second year? I got a schedule that says there is a "Clinical Medicine" class.

Thanks for the replies and tips! That makes me feel a little better...I thought it might have been letter grades. I do have to admit though, Wayne does seem pretty rigorious.

What kind of clinical opportunities do you guys have in your first and second year? I got a schedule that says there is a "Clinical Medicine" class.

M1 Clin med is learning how to take a history. You only work with standardized patients. There are free clinics that you can volunteer with if you want outside of school. If you do cocurricular, which is a program during M1/2 to do volunteering etc. to get a month off in M4, then you can get credit for those hours volunteered.

M2 Physical Diagnosis is learning the full physical exam system by system where you work with standardized patients and then real patients in the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope I get to officially join this thread in about 14 days.... :xf: :xf: :xf:

Good luck!

Thanks for the info TMP!

anyone know what the typical weekly schedule looks like?

Pm me your email. WSU SOM had a document of week 1 schedule on their site, that they took off. I have it saved.
anyone know what the typical weekly schedule looks like?

OMG. How do OSSers PAY FOR THIS?!!!! Do they really incur that much debt?!!

Accepting loans, doing background check, finding a place to live. Damn this week is making going to Wayne real for me. Anybody actually watching this thread? I need to find an apartment and I'm thinking of finding the cheapest place within safe walking distance. Anybody with recommendations or in need of a roommate?

Cheers Mates! Looks like I'm moving to the D

Accepting loans, doing background check, finding a place to live. Damn this week is making going to Wayne real for me. Anybody actually watching this thread? I need to find an apartment and I'm thinking of finding the cheapest place within safe walking distance. Anybody with recommendations or in need of a roommate?

You should check out the Facebook group, there's a ton of activity on there about finding roommates and places to live. The name of it is "Wayne State University School of Medicine: Class of 2015".

Status
Not open for further replies.