Wayne State BMS Program 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and what electives do ppl recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know people who applied late and were accepted previous years? My app has been complete since early May, but it's held hostage by two letter writers who still haven't submitted. I'm so anxious!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I talked to Brenda about this because I was in the same situation until last week. She said to try to get it in by Mid July latest. The nice thing about the program is that there is no cap, so we're not necessarily competing for a select number of spots but rather if they believe we would be a good fit for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a 1 year program? Does it have a linkage or anything? Thanks!

Is this a 1 year program? Does it have a linkage or anything? Thanks!

It is a 2 year program. It has no official linkage but about 15-25% supposedly interview at Wayne State (this is a rough estimate). It is a very reputable program according to the MD/DO schools in Michigan/midwest area.

Don't forget about the grades policy WSU SOM has. After completing 20+ credits of graduate science coursework, WSU will consider that instead of your uGPA. If you also get a good MCAT score, you can qualify for Early Decision too.

are you sure ED is possible for BMS students?

I'm not familiar with ED for med schools. How does that work exactly?

I'm not familiar with ED for med schools. How does that work exactly?
if you ED to a school, you cannot apply to any other us medical school until you hear back. most applicants don't like putting all their eggs in one basket but it is an option that is offered

accepted! They sent out the email a few minutes ago, so some of you may be hearing back soon! Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know people who applied late and were accepted previous years? My app has been complete since early May, but it's held hostage by two letter writers who still haven't submitted. I'm so anxious!

I wasn't complete until mid August and got accepted in November!

Members don't see this ad :)

Some classes I enjoyed. Take these all in the 2nd year after you get your main core classes (Physio 1/2, Biochem, Anatomy, Pharm, etc) out of the way:

Drugs & Addictive Processes
Principles of Toxicology
Neurophysiology
Advanced Topics on Pharmacology (1 credit seminar type class)
Microbiology of Viruses
Neurobiology 1 (I took this instead of Pharm)

Some classes I enjoyed. Take these all in the 2nd year after you get your main core classes (Physio 1/2, Biochem, Anatomy, Pharm, etc) out of the way:

Principles of Toxicology
Neurophysiology
Microbiology of Viruses
Hey thank you so much for this info!! Do you mind ranking these classes in terms of difficulty?

Principles of Toxicology
Neurophysiology
Microbiology of Viruses

Neurobiology 1 is also open to undergrads (I've taken it). It's pretty easy

You must be thinking if a different class. The one I am speaking about is taught by Dr. Galloway and only 5/~40 ppl got an A in it (happy to be one of them!). As far as ranking goes

Drugs & Addictive Processes - 4/10 (easy)
Principles of Toxicology - 7/10
Neurophysiology - 8/10
Advanced Topics on Pharmacology - 1/10
Microbiology of Viruses - 6/10
Neurobiology 1 - 9/10 (very hard, lots of material, not much room for error. Prob the 2nd most difficult class I took after physiology 1)

You must be thinking if a different class. The one I am speaking about is taught by Dr. Galloway and only 5/~40 ppl got an A in it (happy to be one of them!). As far as ranking goes

Drugs & Addictive Processes - 4/10 (easy)
Principles of Toxicology - 7/10
Neurophysiology - 8/10
Advanced Topics on Pharmacology - 1/10
Microbiology of Viruses - 6/10
Neurobiology 1 - 9/10 (very hard, lots of material, not much room for error. Prob the 2nd most difficult class I took after physiology 1)

Thank you! This has been extremely informative/helpful! If you don't mind can you rate the core classes as well please?

Core classes:
Physiology 1: 10/10 - hardest class, next to no room for error on exams

Physiology 2: 8/10 - slightly easier than physiology 1, but this may just be due to being used to the course load

Biochem: 6/10 - really not all that bad Bc an A is only 80% for some reason.

Pharm OR NeuroBio (most people take either or): 9/10 - both hard classes

Anatomy: 8/10 - this was prob my favorite class in the program. An A is doable but you have to put in the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone take pre reqs while in the program? I emailed and asked Someone at Wayne State familiar with the program and said one is allowed to but not sure the practicality of it

is there a facebook group out there for this year/someone does one want to start one?

For somebody applying this late for the fall semester, is there a chance of being accepted? I understand the deadline to apply is August 1st but realistically speaking, do they accept people who apply this late?

yes, the program has no official cap on number of students. They review apps until mid august I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if there is a word/character limit on the statement of purpose?

I'm applying for the Winter 2018 term

Does anyone know if there is a word/character limit on the statement of purpose?

I'm applying for the Winter 2018 term

No word limit, you just upload a document in PDF form. But Brenda did say that it should be around 1-2 pages.

Are you all waiting until orientation to schedule classes?

I've been lurking since I applied earlier this year, but I'm finally joining the thread! I super excited to start this program. I hate that we don't get much information prior to orientation. I am waiting to schedule classes but I plan on going the physio/biochem route. I know I'm going to have to step up my studying game and hopefully I'll be able to find some people for a study group quickly. Is there a Facebook group for our class? Is there much activity on it? I deleted all of my social media in the spring but I could bring it back if I needed to.

I've been lurking since I applied earlier this year, but I'm finally joining the thread! I super excited to start this program. I hate that we don't get much information prior to orientation. I am waiting to schedule classes but I plan on going the physio/biochem route. I know I'm going to have to step up my studying game and hopefully I'll be able to find some people for a study group quickly. Is there a Facebook group for our class? Is there much activity on it? I deleted all of my social media in the spring but I could bring it back if I needed to.

Hi! I'm planning on going the same route as well. Previous years seem to have had a Facebook group going and it could be really helpful for questions/forming study groups! I'm not super active on Facebook as well but would bring it back for this haha. I'll be commuting but is that the case with most people? Super excited to start bms!

I just called and they said we do not need to set up the med.wayne.edu email account. BMS students in the past had to, but the girl on the phone said the XX####@wayne.edu is all we need now.
How do we set up the med email accounts?

I think this has been asked before but I don't know if anyone had answered quite yet. Has anybody seen or heard if there is a Facebook page for our cohort yet? Or does anyone have the link for that?

Word on the street is that there is a Facebook group. Search Wayne State BMS 2017-2018.

Hey guys anyone know how the BMS essay works? Do we sign up for it before the semester starts? Can we do it spring semester? Also, the anatomy course offered in the spring, is it offered this spring and when does it end?

Where did the majority of the students live while in the BMS program? Was recently admitted and was wondering where if most of you lived in the city or suburb