Wayne State BMS Program 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringmedstudent2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So I thought I would get the ball rolling for the Fall 2017 term!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for getting this started! I really hope I get in, would love to be at Wayne State!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Brenda and she said they don't start looking at applications until May/June! @tinatani_

awe man I've had mine done for months now! I hope we all get in though! my scores are a little on the low side so I'm nervous..

Last edited:
I know, I am very nervous as well. I really want to be at Wayne State for my masters. Are you all in-state?

I know, I am very nervous as well. I really want to be at Wayne State for my masters. Are you all in-state?
yes, I am! I'm currently there for my undergrad and will be graduating in May what about you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I just heard back with my admission decision today so I think they are starting to get the ball rolling! Good luck to everyone!

Current BMS first year student here: if they take a long time to give your admissions decision, don't get too worried about it! They took almost 2 months to get back to me lol (submitted in April didn't hear until June)

Last edited:
Accepted! I hope you guys here back soon! bt I'm also from ann arbor, just finished up my degree in BMS!

Current BMS first year student here: if they take a long time to give your admissions decision, don't get too worried about it! They took almost 2 months to get back to me lol (submitted in April didn't hear until June)

If you don't mind me asking, you're applying to med school this year right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression they do, not sure what it is though

My year had 80 students, if that's what you mean by "cap"

I'd say 75% of the people I know got into their professional school of choice. The people who didn't either applied late or made a dillusional school list/were "too good" for DO.
@rxailagan if possible, we'd love to hear updates! i'm trying to get a better sense of how many students from BMS matriculate into a US MD/DO school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've been done with my application since March so I'm getting worried..

I'd say 75% of the people I know got into their professional school of choice. The people who didn't either applied late or made a dillusional school list/were "too good" for DO.

LOL too good for DO, with the competitiveness for medical school these days that's crazy. Honestly MSUCOM is my dream school.

Won't have any updates for a while but will do!

Thank you! :)

I've been done with my application since March so I'm getting worried..

Honestly, I was going to submit after my summer term class, but I'm getting very nervous as well, planning on submitting soon even though Brenda said it would be okay if I submitted at the end of June. I guess I'll have to update when new grades come thru. I was told that the committee only meets aprox. once a month, so maybe they haven't gotten to your app yet? I would give them a call, they are super nice and very helpful. Have you applied to other programs?

LOL too good for DO, with the competitiveness for medical school these days that's crazy. Honestly MSUCOM is my dream school.

Thank you! :)

Honestly, I was going to submit after my summer term class, but I'm getting very nervous as well, planning on submitting soon even though Brenda said it would be okay if I submitted at the end of June. I guess I'll have to update when new grades come thru. I was told that the committee only meets aprox. once a month, so maybe they haven't gotten to your app yet? I would give them a call, they are super nice and very helpful. Have you applied to other programs?
yes I have but I did call and just got to leave a message for Brenda. I emailed her a few times but she never emailed back :/

yes I have but I did call and just got to leave a message for Brenda. I emailed her a few times but she never emailed back :/

Call the other number found on the bms page, I believe her name is Jennifer and is also very helpful! They don't respond via email for some reason.

Call the other number found on the bms page, I believe her name is Jennifer and is also very helpful! They don't respond via email for some reason.
which one? I believe there's two right?

I spoke to Brenda this afternoon. There is no cap, I used the 8799 number!

nope, no cap! I found it easier to reach them by phone during the afternoons around 2-3. I would call and see what the status of your application is

Is the statement of purpose supposed to be creative, like a med school application essay? Or should it be straightforward?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was told to make it straightforward. I did not tailor it to a personal statement that could be used for medical school.

I was curious to see if anyone heard back? Also does anyone know typically how long it takes to know if you got in or not?

I was curious to see if anyone heard back? Also does anyone know typically how long it takes to know if you got in or not?
I heard back a while ago, I want to say about
April - I submitted my application in Feb. I wouldn't be too worried if you haven't heard back yet...

@tinatani_ did you hear back?
yes but I accidentally submitted for the wrong term so I had to transfer everything over so hopefully I'll get in! I talked to someone on the committee and he said I'm on the edge, its just my mcat score they're worried about but I plan on retaking that anyway!

yes but I accidentally submitted for the wrong term so I had to transfer everything over so hopefully I'll get in! I talked to someone on the committee and he said I'm on the edge, its just my mcat score they're worried about but I plan on retaking that anyway!

Have you heard anything?? I applied on may 19 and still no word.

Anyone know how many people have been accepted already?

Anyone know what type of elective courses we are allowed to take?

Do you guys know when/how we are supposed to register for classes? I feel so lost looking at the website for the program.

Did you get in? Most people I hear wait until orientation but I'll upload a sample schedule once I get home

Yeah I got in! I heard from them on May 3rd, but I finished my application back towards the end of February. It took them a really long time to get back to me, so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard back yet! From what I've been told, they usually do their own thing and take their time.

I would really appreciate the sample schedule, thank you so much!

Typical BMS Schedule

Y1: 21 credits
Fall: Graduate Level Physiology 1 (4 credits) & General Biochemistry (4 credits) = 8 total credits
Winter: Graduate Level Physiology 2 (4 credits) & Pharmacology (4 credits) + 1 credit elective = 9 credits
Summer: BMS Anatomy (4 credits)
-----------Apply to medical/dental/etc schools----------------
Y2:
Molecular Bio and Toxicology (7 credits)
Winter 2017: BMS essay & elective (6 credits)

Reactions: 1 users
Typical BMS Schedule

Y1: 21 credits
Fall: Graduate Level Physiology 1 (4 credits) & General Biochemistry (4 credits) = 8 total credits
Winter: Graduate Level Physiology 2 (4 credits) & Pharmacology (4 credits) + 1 credit elective = 9 credits
Summer: BMS Anatomy (4 credits)
-----------Apply to medical/dental/etc schools----------------
Y2:
Molecular Bio and Toxicology (7 credits)
Winter 2017: BMS essay & elective (6 credits)

Thank you! Where did you find this information? I know there is a list of the classes we are required to take but I just wasn't sure what a typical schedule looks like.