Wayne State BMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you keep in touch with everyone in ths program? Prog directot told me he only can find out which students went to Wayne,but not to other schools since many students don't report back
Obviously I do not keep in touch with everyone in the program, but from reading past threads and talking to students you shouldn't really go into BMS expecting to get into wayne som (traditionally only 25% of kids do). Also, I def will retract what I said about noncorrelation because apparently the office just waited until January to send out a bunch of BMS interviews to SOM. So part of what I said was based upon a lot of 3.8+ kids not getting interviews, which was somewhat "fixed" in the past week or two.

Also guys take everything I said with a grain of salt, I'm just one person's experience but not a lot of current students post their experiences here.

Members don't see this ad.

There definitely is a correlation. I have spoken to program director and WSU SOM admissions about this.

Also, MSU (both CHM and COM) like this program a lot. OBV, you have to do well in it.
Definitely concur with COM and CHM liking the program, almost all of my friends got COM interviews with strong BMS performances

Agreed I talked to Anne at COM and she says both are very familiar with the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anyone know what they're taking in the spring semester? I took 8 credits Fall and Winter, with the intention of taking 4 credits in the spring that would end on June 30th (then I'd submit my application) BUT they're not offering BMS 6550 and I can't find any spring only classes on the elective sheet :/

@rxailagan if I'm not mistaken most people take anatomy spring/summer term.
I'm a little confused on how to 20 credit rule works, can you not submit until you finish 20 credits?

@rxailagan if I'm not mistaken most people take anatomy spring/summer term.
I'm a little confused on how to 20 credit rule works, can you not submit until you finish 20 credits?
Wayne SOM will not consider your new BMS GPA unless you have 20 credits posted on AMCAS

@rxailagan i would talk to Brenda asap. I'm not in the program but she's been really great on answering questions and advising.

@femmegoblue Does the 4 credit class during the summer between bms year 1 and 2 end in June or August? Would that mean you technically wouldn't be complete at Wayne SOM until grades are updated at the end of the summer? Would you recommend 8/8/4 credits or 10/10 credits

@rxailagan i would talk to Brenda asap. I'm not in the program but she's been really great on answering questions and advising.

@femmegoblue Does the 4 credit class during the summer between bms year 1 and 2 end in June or August? Would that mean you technically wouldn't be complete at Wayne SOM until grades are updated at the end of the summer? Would you recommend 8/8/4 credits or 10/10 credits

I actually just got an reply from Brenda because I emailed her yesterday about there not being any spring classes on the elective sheet and it went along the lines of "I'll update BMS students of the situation of the class when we know more, sorry for the inconvenience." Thinking of just emailing the program director now.

Answering your other question, Medical anatomy would've ended at the end of June (spring semester) and they told us to wait until the end of spring semester to send our transcripts in, meaning our app would be complete (with our 20 BMS credits) in July. I believe most people do 8/8/4 (which is what I'm doing) but never thought they would screw us over with cancelling the spring class :/

@rxailagan Is sending in transcripts specific for just Wayne SOM or all schools you and apply to? I was under the impression you should have your app complete in June for most schools to be considered "early" I'm just worried 10/10 would be overloading it but I don't have amazing undergrad stats (3.2 cgpa, hopefully around 3.0 science and 506 mcat) when I apply

@rxailagan I hope they decide to offer the anatomy class, because that definitely isn't fair to you and your classmates who have planned to take this class summer term

@rxailagan Is sending in transcripts specific for just Wayne SOM or all schools you and apply to? I was under the impression you should have your app complete in June for most schools to be considered "early" I'm just worried 10/10 would be overloading it but I don't have amazing undergrad stats (3.2 cgpa, hopefully around 3.0 science and 506 mcat) when I apply
You must wait to submit your transcript to AMCAS (aka every MD schools) until you have 20 credits posted. My anatomy grade posted June 27th, I submitted it that day, and was verified by the first week of August. This was still "early". Be sure your application is completely perfect and all done by the time Spring grades post, so as soon as you get the grade you can send it off. For AACOMAS, I did not wait for 20 and submitted in May when I had 16 credits.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone in the program, are the classes graded on a curve so that only X number of students get an A? Or is it if you work hard and manage to get A's on exams you can earn an A in the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone in the program, are the classes graded on a curve so that only X number of students get an A? Or is it if you work hard and manage to get A's on exams you can earn an A in the class?
None of the classes I took had a "this many people get A's" grading system. They may adjust the grade boundary for an A based on how well the class does overall, but if you work hard and get at least a 90 in a class, you'll likely get a 4.0

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not too sure how to start a new thread since I'm new to this but I was wondering how many people get accepted into the program? My scores aren't the best; I had some stuff come up during undergrad and rushed my MCAT..I wanna do this program to help give my application and gpa a boost. I'm just really worried my stats aren't good enough :/ I do plan on retaking my MCAT as well!

I'm not too sure how to start a new thread since I'm new to this but I was wondering how many people get accepted into the program? My scores aren't the best; I had some stuff come up during undergrad and rushed my MCAT..I wanna do this program to help give my application and gpa a boost. I'm just really worried my stats aren't good enough :/ I do plan on retaking my MCAT as well!
You're going to have to be spoecific if you want insight. Typically you need >3.0 and at least 50th percentile GRE/MCAT

well I'll be honest I'm at a 2.81 and I got a 486 on the MCAT...so I guess I won't be getting in

well I'll be honest I'm at a 2.81 and I got a 486 on the MCAT...so I guess I won't be getting in
I would recommend taking the GRE so you don't have to rush to retake the MCAT, and only taking the MCAT once you're ready. You should try emailing Dr. Brush or Brenda Cannon in the BMS office and explaining your situation, they may be able to guide you and give you better insight. There's an option for <3.0 GPA people to be non-degree seeking for one semester, and if they do well in 1-2 BMS courses can be admitted into the program. There's definitely options, so don't give up.

Yeah, I was thinking of taking the GRE as well just in case. I emailed Brenda and she said that there's "qualified admission" which I'm guessing is what you mentioned.

Yeah, I was thinking of taking the GRE as well just in case. I emailed Brenda and she said that there's "qualified admission" which I'm guessing is what you mentioned.
Yeah that's what I was referring to. Definitely study for two-three weeks and take the GRE, its much easier and you can do well on it.

Okay, I emailed Brenda to ask but I'm leaning on taking the GRE anyway. I already submitted my scores though, would that affect it?

@rxailagan What did they end up saying? Do they still offer the 4 credit anatomy course?
Sorry this reply is completely late! Well for now it's still not happening but they said they would tell us when they knew for sure. It seems like not though

Sorry this reply is completely late! Well for now it's still not happening but they said they would tell us when they knew for sure. It seems like not though

Did they say anything about the 20 credit rule? That's so unfair

are there any canadian citizen who took this BMS program and get into med school or DO(Doctor of osteopathy) school?

Hi guys. I am trying to decide between a couple SMPs right now, and I was wondering what made you choose Wayne's BMS over other programs like BU and such. Other than tuition, I haven't seen much of a difference. I want to end up back in Michigan for med school (MD or DO, I love both), so I was hoping someone knew if Wayne was a better choice for that or if BU/Loyola/whoever would give me better odds. I am also wondering if there is any additional information for the matriculation rates from BMS to SOM? Like if you have heard any other updates on people getting in? The ties to the SOM is something that I am really interested in as well when deciding between SMPs. Thank you!

Hi guys. I am trying to decide between a couple SMPs right now, and I was wondering what made you choose Wayne's BMS over other programs like BU and such. Other than tuition, I haven't seen much of a difference. I want to end up back in Michigan for med school (MD or DO, I love both), so I was hoping someone knew if Wayne was a better choice for that or if BU/Loyola/whoever would give me better odds. I am also wondering if there is any additional information for the matriculation rates from BMS to SOM? Like if you have heard any other updates on people getting in? The ties to the SOM is something that I am really interested in as well when deciding between SMPs. Thank you!

I am looking at the same programs, all with different strengths. Michigan MD & DO schools really know and respect the BMS program. It has been recommended by MSUCOM and CHM admissions. Wayne State SOM takes a few students from BMS, I'm not sure how many though. If you're planning on being in Michigan consider BMS because 1) may be cheaper 2) regarded well by MD/DO Michigan schools.

Reactions: 2 users
which 2 credit classes would you guys recommend? and is it possible to have a part time job with this program?

Would you recommend against taking physio I, toxicology, and either biochem/molecular bio and genetics (can't decide on 1) for a total of 11 credits my first semester? Or just stick to 2 4 credit courses?

Edit: I'm going for DDS not MD, so not asking what a med school would prefer

Is everyone waiting until orientation to register?

Would you recommend against taking physio I, toxicology, and either biochem/molecular bio and genetics (can't decide on 1) for a total of 11 credits my first semester? Or just stick to 2 4 credit courses?

Edit: I'm going for DDS not MD, so not asking what a med school would prefer
Don't take 11. Take Physio I and Molecular Bio or Physio I and Biochem. Biochem is a more applicable class to dental and medical school so I would definitely recommend that over genetics. I had a 3.9 in the program and genetics was the one course I got a B in, if that says anything. Aka I wouldn't take it in your first 20 credits (or at all if you can avoid it).

@femmegoblue would you recommend endocrinology instead of pharmacology during the first 20 credits?
No, pharm is a core class and will be incredibly helpful for medical school. Endo is a blow off and is a watered down version of physio I's last section.

No, pharm is a core class and will be incredibly helpful for medical school. Endo is a blow off and is a watered down version of physio I's last section.

I guess what I meant is shouldn't one take it the second year of BMS because it's notoriously difficult?
Also do you know if we need at least one class from each core area before we submit AMCAS/ACCOMAS? Or do we just need to amount to 20 credits?

I guess what I meant is shouldn't one take it the second year of BMS because it's notoriously difficult?
Also do you know if we need at least one class from each core area before we submit AMCAS/ACCOMAS? Or do we just need to amount to 20 credits?
No I'm saying you should take it in your first 20 credits so med schools see your A and are impressed. I'd say about 75% of my cohort did it in their second semester.

You'll hear this at orientation or you'll hear it here from others who did the program, but it's frowned upon to take a non-core in your first 20. Nearly everyone I know did physio/biochem or physio/genetics first semester then pharm/physio second semester and anatomy summer semester to get their 20, then took their easy electives in their following year. Most medical schools (if you set an an advising appointment) wanna see biochem in the program before you apply to their school.

To use this program to your advantage you want to take the toughest/most relevant classes while still keeping the ability to ace them. The key to this is to do two classes each semester and anatomy in the summer. The course subjects are difficult but when you're only taking two things a semester it's very do-able. So don't be afraid of any one class, if anything use it as a chance to really knock it out of the park and convinced medical schools you can handle a medical school level course.

No I'm saying you should take it in your first 20 credits so med schools see your A and are impressed. I'd say about 75% of my cohort did it in their second semester.

You'll hear this at orientation or you'll hear it here from others who did the program, but it's frowned upon to take a non-core in your first 20. Nearly everyone I know did physio/biochem or physio/genetics first semester then pharm/physio second semester and anatomy summer semester to get their 20, then took their easy electives in their following year. Most medical schools (if you set an an advising appointment) wanna see biochem in the program before you apply to their school.

To use this program to your advantage you want to take the toughest/most relevant classes while still keeping the ability to ace them. The key to this is to do two classes each semester and anatomy in the summer. The course subjects are difficult but when you're only taking two things a semester it's very do-able. So don't be afraid of any one class, if anything use it as a chance to really knock it out of the park and convinced medical schools you can handle a medical school level course.

Oh that makes sense! Thank you!!

Is anyone here commuting? If so, where's the best place for BMS commuters to park and how do you obtain parking passes?

Just dropping in to say I love the BMS program! I just finished my first 21 credits, so feel free to tag me to ask any questions you may have.
Hey I am just about to start the second semester in the bms program and trying to figure out what classes I should take. I only want to take classes that I know I can do well in because I plan on applying to medical school after the first 20 credits. I was wondering if you had any insight about pharmacology, neurobiology, cancer biology, and immunology? Thanks!

I have not been able to find much information on this program, and I was wondering if any of you could give me guidance. I plan on applying to Wayne (BMS) and UM(molecular and integrative physiology) programs. I will be graduating in the Spring (2018) and am not sure of the proper deadline or timeline to follow with this process. Thank You!!

I have no idea how many students started with me, I wanna say there were around 85 at fall 2015 orientation. I liked the program because it got the job done (got me into med school) and the professors are willing to help/write rec letters. But outside of that there's no real "program" feel, it's just people who show up and take classes. My classes were probably around 50 people each, depending on what class it was.

No one does the program in two semesters unless you are planning on just getting 20 credits and dropping without getting a master's degree. I think it would be nearly impossible to do 15 credits each semester plus summer anatomy just to finish in one year. Plus then you would STILL have a year before matriculating into medical school, so why not take that time to spread out your master's degree instead of cramming it into a year and risk doing poorly.

I took a full time (8 credits or more, except for Spring where 4 is full time) each semester. This is what I did:

Fall 2015: Physio I, Biochem (8 credits)
Winter 2016: Physio II, Pharm, a one credit mini course (9 credits)

Spring 2016: Anatomy (4 credits)

Applied to medical school June 2016

Fall 2016: Epidemiology elective, Molecular Bio and Toxicology (10 credits)
Winter 2017: No courses, just my BMS essay (3 credits) and will graduate April 2017, start medical school June 2017

Hope this helps!
how long did the spring anatomy course last for? Also is it offered every spring? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
@femmegoblue Also, could you clarify a bit on how the essay works exactly? Do we have to register for it before the semester begins? Can we do it during the spring/summer semester?

@femmegoblue Also, could you clarify a bit on how the essay works exactly? Do we have to register for it before the semester begins? Can we do it during the spring/summer semester?
You can technically do it whenever you want, I did mine in my last semester. You just have to put the credits somewhere but they'll just put an N in for your grade until it's actually submitted.

how long did the spring anatomy course last for? Also is it offered every spring? Thanks! :)
It was the second week of May to June 27, and I am not sure about that!

I have no idea how many students started with me, I wanna say there were around 85 at fall 2015 orientation. I liked the program because it got the job done (got me into med school) and the professors are willing to help/write rec letters. But outside of that there's no real "program" feel, it's just people who show up and take classes. My classes were probably around 50 people each, depending on what class it was.

No one does the program in two semesters unless you are planning on just getting 20 credits and dropping without getting a master's degree. I think it would be nearly impossible to do 15 credits each semester plus summer anatomy just to finish in one year. Plus then you would STILL have a year before matriculating into medical school, so why not take that time to spread out your master's degree instead of cramming it into a year and risk doing poorly.

I took a full time (8 credits or more, except for Spring where 4 is full time) each semester. This is what I did:

Fall 2015: Physio I, Biochem (8 credits)
Winter 2016: Physio II, Pharm, a one credit mini course (9 credits)

Spring 2016: Anatomy (4 credits)

Applied to medical school June 2016

Fall 2016: Epidemiology elective, Molecular Bio and Toxicology (10 credits)
Winter 2017: No courses, just my BMS essay (3 credits) and will graduate April 2017, start medical school June 2017

Hope this helps!
Hey femmegoblue, do you remember what was the one credit mini course you took and how it was? I'm considering taking one of those now.

Hello everyone, so it's april 26 and while I started my application back in January, my professor decided not to submit his rec letter until now despite me pushing him constantly. I thought this was okay because the wayne website said to have the application finished by June 1st, (and the person I talked to incorrectly confirmed this), (and the Michigan physiology app deadline is may so i thought this made sense) but I looked closer on the BMS site and saw that the application was due by February.

Am I too late? Should I give up on the application?