This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know the likelihood of me getting interviews and getting into schools. I went to a community college for my first two years and finished my last two years of undergrad at a university. I have a degree in biology. My cGPA is 3.85 and my sGPA is 3.80. My MCAT is 512. I have 250 volunteer hours as a counselor at a camp for kids with autoimmune disorders. I also have 8 shadowing hours with a podiatrist, 8 with a hospitalist, and 8 with a family medicine physician. I’m from Alabama, so I will be applying to all my in state schools (UAB, USA, VCOM and ACOM). I plan to apply to at least twenty med schools both DO and MD. Is 20 sufficient or should I apply to more? Also WAMC?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all your Alabama schools. I suggest any of these OOS MD schools:
Tulane
Wake Forest
Miami
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all your Alabama schools. I suggest any of these OOS MD schools:
Tulane
Wake Forest
Miami
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2019 (Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Roseman, Kaiser)
Do you think me having only 250 volunteer hrs will hurt me ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add 100+ clinical volunteering hours (hospital setting would be good) before you apply.

I agree that you should get as much clinical volunteering as you can along with more shadowing if possible (aim for 50+ hours). Also, if you're not working full time/taking classes, you could also try to get some more non-clinical volunteering in to increase the breadth of your experiences.

Hi, I would like to know the likelihood of me getting interviews and getting into schools. I went to a community college for my first two years and finished my last two years of undergrad at a university. I have a degree in biology. My cGPA is 3.85 and my sGPA is 3.80. My MCAT is 512. I have 250 volunteer hours as a counselor at a camp for kids with autoimmune disorders. I also have 8 shadowing hours with a podiatrist, 8 with a hospitalist, and 8 with a family medicine physician. I’m from Alabama, so I will be applying to all my in state schools (UAB, USA, VCOM and ACOM). I plan to apply to at least twenty med schools both DO and MD. Is 20 sufficient or should I apply to more? Also WAMC?

Thanks.
I suggest:
DukeOR Pitt OR Mayo
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein OR Keck OR Emory
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Your state schools
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO school.

25-30 is what I typically tell people to aim for.

I suggest:
DukeOR Pitt OR Mayo
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein OR Keck OR Emory
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Your state schools
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO school.

25-30 is what I typically tell people to aim for.

Do you think I will be fine with my volunteer/shadowing as it currently is? Also, I forgot to mention that during my freshman and sophomore years of undergrad, I worked part-time at a courthouse.

Do you think I will be fine with my volunteer/shadowing as it currently is? Also, I forgot to mention that during my freshman and sophomore years of undergrad, I worked part-time at a courthouse.
Work history is always good! I do recommend getting in some more shadowing (the podiatrist experience won't count) and some non-clinical service to others less fortunate than yourself

Is that GPA the cumulative for the CC and uni and any other college classes you have taken anywhere else?

Is that GPA the cumulative for the CC and uni and any other college classes you have taken anywhere else?
yes, the cGPA and sGPA listed are my final GPA's for every college class I have ever had