This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilac_heistress

Reaction score
  • cGPA as calculated by AMCAS: 3.835
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (131/128/130/132)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship: Illinois, US resident
  • Ethnicity and/or race: Asian Female
  • Undergraduate institution or category: OOS mid tier
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): CNA and Direct Care Professional (630 hours)
  • Research experience and productivity: 1000 hours of basic science research. I will have a poster and thesis for sure. I have pub in review, unsure if it will be out by this May as of right now. I also have 180 hours of clinical research in the ER
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 68 hours (ER, Neurosurgery, Family medicine, Internal med)
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Ronald McDonald House and American Cancer Society (300 hours)
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): TA for 3 years (450 years, working on a DEIJ initiative within my department), I was president of a women's health org (we worked closely with planned parenthood) and the previous year I served as education chair for the org, I was a general member of my college's student board
  • Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list
  • Anything else not listed you think might be important: Potential grade concern. I was able to maintain an upward trend for all semesters except fall semester when I got a C+ in an upper level bio class and a B in another upper level major class. I'm not sure how this will impact my application but I am working to bring up my grades this last semester
  • LOR: 1 MD (strong), lab PI (strong), 1 nonscience faculty, 2 science faculty
This is my school list, I have most of my support system outside of Illinois so I would prefer to move out of state for medical school if possible so I'm looking for advice on high yield OOS friendly schools. I'm unsure if I have too many unrealistic T20's. I am planning on applying to 5 max but unsure whether the ones I selected are too unrealistic. And applying to 30 schools max so I could add 2 more schools right now. Any advice and suggestions on potential swaps to make would be much appreciated:

Reach: Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Duke, Harvard (thinking of swapping for Columbia?)
Others: Mt.Sinai, Hofstra, Emory, Einstein, Quinnipiac, VCU, University of Cincinnati, OSU, University of Rochester, Geisinger, Boston University, Case Western, UCLA, Tufts, Wake Forest, Pitt, Sidney Kimmel, Hackensack, Temple, Stony Brook,
Schools w connections to (residency/undergrad institution): UMN, UIC, Rush, Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.