This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schools I will apply to: UC Berkeley, USC, UCLA, palo alto university PhD, palo alto/stanford PSYD, St Johns University, Queens College, Rutgers PSYD, George Washington PSYD, Boston University, American University, Hofstra Unicersity

That list is all over the map. What is your career goal?

Members don't see this ad.

That list is all over the map. What is your career goal?
Yet also not enough all over the map. It's all Cali and major east coast cities. These are highly in-demand areas and very competitive, but the few that are less competitive are super expensive. Even the most competitive candidates are hamstringing themselves by geographically restricting their applications to these highly sought after areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Yet also not enough all over the map. It's all Cali and major east coast cities. These are highly in-demand areas and very competitive, but the few that are less competitive are super expensive. Even the most competitive candidates are hamstringing themselves by geographically restricting their applications to these highly sought after areas.

:smack: Of course. The old "coastal shotgun" pattern. How did I miss that?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances:

Undergraduate GPA (Major: Accounting/Psychology) (Minor: Statistics/Finance): 3.50/4.00
Psychology GPA: 3.78/4.00
Graduate GPA (Accounting): 3.50/4.00
GRE: 156 Quant / 152 Verbal (Just enrolled in Kaplan Test prep this was my Pre-Test Score)

Three Graduate Level Epidemiology/Biostatistics Courses at GWU (9 credits = 4.0)
Principles and Practices of Epidemiology - 4.0
Biostatistical Applications for Public Health - 4.0
Management and Policy Approaches to Public Health - 4.0

Research: Limited to for-credit (3 hours) supervised research as undergraduate

Work Experience: I worked for 2+ years as an accountant for a big four accounting firm

Schools:
George Washington University PHD in Clinical Psychology
American PHD in Clinical Psychology
George Mason University PHD in Clinical Psychology
Johns Hopkins PHD in Mental Health
University of Maryland College Park - PHD IN Clinical Psychology

Comments/Suggestions Please!

Note: I am limited in Geographical Area because my Husband works full time in the DC/MD/VA metro area.

What are my chances:

Comments/Suggestions Please!

Note: I am limited in Geographical Area because my Husband works full time in the DC/MD/VA metro area.

The GRE scores will have to come up. You should be looking at >70th percentile for each. The lack of any meaningful research experiences is another downfall here. Although, your extreme geographic restriction if by far the biggest impediment. Honestly, you'd need very high GRE scores and 1-2 years of research that hopefully culminated in some kind of publication, a poster at the least. These are fairly selective programs that get a TON of applications for very few slots. And, most of these applicants will have extensive research experience and GREs in the 80%+. You need to find a way to distinguish yourself in that group.

Reactions: 2 users
The GRE scores will have to come up. You should be looking at >70th percentile for each. The lack of any meaningful research experiences is another downfall here. Although, your extreme geographic restriction if by far the biggest impediment. Honestly, you'd need very high GRE scores and 1-2 years of research that hopefully culminated in some kind of publication, a poster at the least. These are fairly selective programs that get a TON of applications for very few slots. And, most of these applicants will have extensive research experience and GREs in the 80%+. You need to find a way to distinguish yourself in that group.

Thanks! I have my first session of the Kaplan program today. I hoping after I complete it I can get my scores up to the 70th percentile. I know my research experience is lacking. I'm a first gen college student and during undergrad I spent my free time waiting tables and serving in various housing positions (Resident Assistant, Desk Assistant, etc.). At the time I was not planning on pursuing a PHD, now I wish I had networked more. If I had the ability to apply to other areas any suggestions on Schools?

Thanks! I have my first session of the Kaplan program today. I hoping after I complete it I can get my scores up to the 70th percentile. I know my research experience is lacking. I'm a first gen college student and during undergrad I spent my free time waiting tables and serving in various housing positions (Resident Assistant, Desk Assistant, etc.). At the time I was not planning on pursuing a PHD, now I wish I had networked more. If I had the ability to apply to other areas any suggestions on Schools?
Applications to clinical PhD programs are based on match to the program and the mentor. You don't just apply to programs based on geographic area or perceived "rank" of the program. This is why we can't really tell you what programs to apply to without knowing what your research and career interests are.

This is also why applying based on geographic limitations is self-defeating. You want your application to be based on the strongest match possible to the mentor and program, and geography isn't a compelling narrative. Many students are moving across the country to get the ideal match and best training possible. Convenience should receive little priority, especially as you'll likely need to move for internship and post-doc anyways.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to read more of the stickied thread to get a better idea of what doctoral training in clinical psychology is like.

WAMC - for psych PhD

undergrad GPA: 3.57
Last 2 years undergrad GPA: 4.00
Psych GPA: 4.00
(was going through a really tough time with mental health issues during my first two years of undergrad unfortunately :( )

Masters (psych): distinction, 4.00
Will be working on publishing my masters dissertation with supervisor next year
Good reco letter from a very seasoned and well respected professor in the field (who was also my thesis supervisor).
Thesis grade: Distinction

Research:
Did psych RA for a couple of months during undergrad.
Worked as freelance RA for consulting firm for a couple of years during undergrad.
About to begin a new research associate role at a university

Haven’t taken GRE but fairly confident.

Thinking of applying to several psych PhD programs like Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, NYU & Harvard. Out of reach even if I explain my extenuating circumstances?

Last edited:
WAMC - for psych PhD

undergrad GPA (bachelor of business mgmt, double majors marketing & psych): 3.57
Last 2 years undergrad GPA: 4.00
Psych GPA: 4.00
(was going through a really tough time with mental health issues during my first two years of undergrad unfortunately :( )

Masters (psych at University College London): distinction, 4.00, including a 91% score in stats (A+)
Will be working on publishing my masters dissertation with supervisor next year (otherwise had no other opportunities to publish).
Good reco letter from a very seasoned and well respected professor in the field (who was also my thesis supervisor).
Thesis grade: Distinction

Research:
Did psych RA for a couple of months during undergrad.
Worked as freelance RA for consulting market research firm for a couple of years during undergrad.
About to begin a new research associate role at a university

Haven’t taken GRE but fairly confident.

Thinking of applying to several psych PhD programs like Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, NYU & Harvard. Out of reach even if I explain my extenuating circumstances?
Is your masters thesis some form of original research that you're looking to publish it? If not, I'd focus on getting more research experience and your research associate position sounds like a great start.

For the GRE, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Lots of people are "confident" about the GRE before they take it. I'd recommend taking a free practice tests first.

Why specifically have you chosen Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, NYU & Harvard? Are these specific program and mentor matches or are they based on geography and/or perceived prestige?

As far as extenuating circumstances go, I wouldn't mention your former mental health problems. Its oversharing and inappropriate self-disclosure. Furthermore, many other applicants have had their own mental health issues in the past, which is often why they are interested in clinical psych programs, but they haven't let these issues negatively impact their academic functioning. Noting it in your personal statement or admissions interviews can make it seem like you are making excuses where others are not.

Are you applying to purely academic programs or are you considering clinical training? You know that some of these institutions don't offer clinical psychology PhDs, right?

Applications to clinical PhD programs are based on match to the program and the mentor. You don't just apply to programs based on geographic area or perceived "rank" of the program. This is why we can't really tell you what programs to apply to without knowing what your research and career interests are.

This is also why applying based on geographic limitations is self-defeating. You want your application to be based on the strongest match possible to the mentor and program, and geography isn't a compelling narrative. Many students are moving across the country to get the ideal match and best training possible. Convenience should receive little priority, especially as you'll likely need to move for internship and post-doc anyways.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to read more of the stickied thread to get a better idea of what doctoral training in clinical psychology is like.

Thanks! I am interested in the etiology of mood and psychotic disorders. Stems from the family members I have that suffer from them. Luckily in the Washington DC area all of the schools have something that meets my interests, especially Hopkins. That being said it is very competitive here.

Thanks! I am interested in the etiology of mood and psychotic disorders. Stems from the family members I have that suffer from them. Luckily in the Washington DC area all of the schools have something that meets my interests, especially Hopkins. That being said it is very competitive here.

That might be too broad of an interest if there's not some unifying theme in there (like attentional processes in mood and psychotic disorders, for example). As far as I know Hopkins' program will not allow you to practice, which is something to consider if you're not 100% sure on a research career.

Is your masters thesis some form of original research that you're looking to publish it? If not, I'd focus on getting more research experience and your research associate position sounds like a great start.

For the GRE, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Lots of people are "confident" about the GRE before they take it. I'd recommend taking a free practice tests first.

Why specifically have you chosen Princeton, Cornell, Columbia, NYU & Harvard? Are these specific program and mentor matches or are they based on geography and/or perceived prestige?

As far as extenuating circumstances go, I wouldn't mention your former mental health problems. Its oversharing and inappropriate self-disclosure. Furthermore, many other applicants have had their own mental health issues in the past, which is often why they are interested in clinical psych programs, but they haven't let these issues negatively impact their academic functioning. Noting it in your personal statement or admissions interviews can make it seem like you are making excuses where others are not.

My master’s thesis was an original research and my supervisor wants it published. Will be working on it only next year as he’s busy with his other papers right now. When published, I’ll be the first author as I did nearly everything myself.

With regards to the GRE, I’ve done some practice tests and it’s not an issue at all for now. Will have to wait for my actual test that’s coming up to be very sure of course.

As for explaining my extenuating circumstances, I don’t think it’s right that you relegated my problems and assumed it’s on the same level as/comparable to all others who struggled with mental health issues, although many people are likely to do so. You should know pretty well that mental health struggles manifest in varying forms and degrees, and the circumstances that trigger such illnesses are often very complex.
I get where you’re coming from about not oversharing, and I never intended to (you can say a lot without revealing “inappropriate” details with the proper framing :) ) but there are universities e.g. Michigan (which I’m still considering) that specifically asked about extenuating circumstances.

The schools i’m considering are not for clinical psych, but experimental/social psych. Decisions were made based on a combination of both faculty research and geographic location.

Members don't see this ad :)
My master’s thesis was an original research and my supervisor wants it published. Will be working on it only next year as he’s busy with his other papers right now. When published, I’ll be the first author as I did nearly everything myself.

With regards to the GRE, I’ve done some practice tests and it’s not an issue at all for now. Will have to wait for my actual test that’s coming up to be very sure of course.

As for explaining my extenuating circumstances, I don’t think it’s right that you relegated my problems and assumed it’s on the same level as/comparable to all others who struggled with mental health issues, although many people are likely to do so. You should know pretty well that mental health struggles manifest in varying forms and degrees, and the circumstances that trigger such illnesses are often very complex.
I get where you’re coming from about not oversharing, and I never intended to (you can say a lot without revealing “inappropriate” details with the proper framing :) ) but there are universities e.g. Michigan (which I’m still considering) that specifically asked about extenuating circumstances.

The schools i’m considering are not for clinical psych, but experimental/social psych. Decisions were made based on a combination of both faculty research and geographic location.
Wait, you're not even applying to clinical programs?

Are you even familiar with this board? This is primarily for clinical and counseling programs, which are far different from other psychology graduate programs.

Without knowing career and research interests, can't really give recs. It's all about fit with a mentor in most programs. You can have stellar stats, but if you don't fit well, you won't get an interview/offer.

That might be too broad of an interest if there's not some unifying theme in there (like attentional processes in mood and psychotic disorders, for example). As far as I know Hopkins' program will not allow you to practice, which is something to consider if you're not 100% sure on a research career.

Thanks! This year is about finding my niche I’m currently enrolled in GWUs MPH in epidemiology program. I’m definitely more attracted to the research than clinical practice. I’m
Without knowing career and research interests, can't really give recs. It's all about fit with a mentor in most programs. You can have stellar stats, but if you don't fit well, you won't get an interview/offer.

Research Interests (Culture):

· Morbidity of personality and mood disorders among multiracial Asian - White adolescents in comparison to their non-minority peers.

· Strength of maternal and paternal cultural identity and its impact on the prevalence of personality and mood disorders in multiracial adolescents

· Multiracial marriages, cultural identity, involvement of extended family and risk of post-partum depression

· Maternal vs. Paternal head of house hold, Head of house hold racial identity, adolescent racial identity and the prevalence of personality and mood disorder

Research Interests (Development):

· Level of reported bonding among post-partum mother and off-spring pre-and post treatment, type of child care and emotional development of toddler

· Parental substance abuse, emotional resilience, coping mechanisms and positive youth and adolescent outcome

I may be to all over the place with my research interests.

I don't see any glaring red flags in the background info you shared, so I don't think it's necessary to explain any extenuating circumstances. The only weak spot might be a lack of experience in research related to your chosen field (though maybe not, if your consulting firm RA work was relevant to your interests). A publication will be helpful and you should do everything you can to move that process along. Your GPA isn't perfect but it's fine. Assuming your research, GRE, and letters are all in good shape, it will come down to matters of fit and how you present yourself.

The 12-month prevalence of mental disorders in college students is around 50%, so while the details of your experience are certainly unique to you, the experience of having academic performance affected by mental health issues is not. Your options are to (1) be so vague about your history as to invite more questions, (2) to try to convince the admissions committee that your statistically very typical experience is actually remarkable in some way, or (3) none of the above. Your achievements on paper are sufficient that you can choose (3) with confidence. Not having to explain extenuating circumstances is a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all. My hope is to apply to and be accepted to a psychology PhD program specializing in clinical neuropsychology for the 2019 cycle.

For quick background, I currently work in Graduate Medical Education at a very well respected program. I also am completing an MPH in the spring in Health Policy and Management. For my internship I am working on research with a faculty member at the university I work at and I created, wrote, planned, and am currently executing a protocol that hopes to evaluate self-insight in graduate medical education. The goal of this is publication and presentation and we will complete the protocol by the summer.

I do not have a background in psychology (I was a philosophy major ten years ago when I completed my BA at Indiana) but have a strong statistical background from my MPH. Over the next year I aim to complete at least 9-12 credits in undergraduate or graduate non-matriculated psychology courses.

In undergrad I finished with a 3.4 GPA, but I expect to complete my MPH with a 4.0. Here are my GRE scores from 2015 when I applied to MPH.

GRE Verbal - 167
GRE Quant - 160
GRE Analytical - 5.0

I have two questions at this point, what are my chances now of getting into a program, and what should I focus on over the next year to improve my chances. Also, I must work full-time to get by so I can't really take a major pay cut to go work in a lab. I do have research opportunities with my job and school, but they may only be tangentially related to my true research interests. What should I do?

I have two questions at this point, what are my chances now of getting into a program, and what should I focus on over the next year to improve my chances. Also, I must work full-time to get by so I can't really take a major pay cut to go work in a lab. I do have research opportunities with my job and school, but they may only be tangentially related to my true research interests. What should I do?

The masters and statistical background will definitely help, as will the good GRE scores. The lack of any neuro research may be a hindrance, but may be overcome by the other two. If you can volunteer for a neuro-focused research lab in your spare time, it may be a big plus on an application. Once you get into grad school you will no longer plan on working full-time, correct?

The masters and statistical background will definitely help, as will the good GRE scores. The lack of any neuro research may be a hindrance, but may be overcome by the other two. If you can volunteer for a neuro-focused research lab in your spare time, it may be a big plus on an application. Once you get into grad school you will no longer plan on working full-time, correct?

Thanks for the reply. I think that's a good idea and I'll look into some labs nearby, and that's correct. I do not intend on working full-time if matriculated.

Anyone familiar with the application process to non-clinical programs? I am more interested in the research, not clinical practice. How do the admissions requirements differ?

Anyone familiar with the application process to non-clinical programs? I am more interested in the research, not clinical practice. How do the admissions requirements differ?

Largely the same, but you better have more research experience, and get used to the idea of having to move at some point to find a job.

Some honest feedback would be very appreciated!

B.S. in Psychology (May 2017)
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Psychology GPA: 3.9

GRE verbal: 158
GRE quant: 156
GRE analytical: 5.0

Research experience: designed and managed my own project on implicit cognition. Did all of the data collection and analysis myself.
Poster presentation: presented at an APS conference
Podium presentation at my undergrad institution
Manuscript in preparation

Clinical experience:
-Interned for a summer at a residential home for women recovering from addiction
-Currently involved in PTSD analysis and intervention for deployed emergency responders at the CDC

Work experience:
-I lead the Peer Education team at my college. We did a lot of prevention research and programming on our campus.
-I was a TA for a psychology professor

Current position: Laboratory coordinator at the CDC

Programs I'm applying for:

Temple
UCLA
USC
Emory
Washington U
UNC Chapel Hill
Drexel
UC Boulder
Temple
Duke

Research interests are eating pathology, eating behavior, and weight maintenance.

I am currently working on applications for PhD programs in Clinical Psychology for 2018. I applied to 6 programs last year, hoping to start graduate school this fall, but I didn't even get any interviews. What do you think my chances are now that I've had a bit more experience and will have had a solid year working at the CDC??

Research experience: designed and managed my own project on implicit cognition. Did all of the data collection and analysis myself.

Clinical experience:
-Interned for a summer at a residential home for women recovering from addiction
-Currently involved in PTSD analysis and intervention for deployed emergency responders at the CDC

Work experience:
-I lead the Peer Education team at my college. We did a lot of prevention research and programming on our campus.

Temple
UCLA
USC
Emory
Washington U
UNC Chapel Hill
Drexel
UC Boulder
Temple
Duke

Research interests are eating pathology, eating behavior, and weight maintenance.

I am currently working on applications for PhD programs in Clinical Psychology for 2018. I applied to 6 programs last year, hoping to start graduate school this fall, but I didn't even get any interviews. What do you think my chances are now that I've had a bit more experience and will have had a solid year working at the CDC??

Clinical experience:

Work experience:

Temple
UCLA
USC
Emory
Washington U
UNC Chapel Hill
Drexel
UC Boulder
Temple
Duke

What kind of letters do you have? I think your personal statement and letters are going to be key this round. I'd also recommend perhaps adding a couple more schools to your list. If you had more time, I'd consider a re-take of the GRE (your quant is maybe a bit low for many of the programs on your list) and trying to get another poster or pub, especially on some sort of project on which you've taken the lead.

My problem is my primary interests are programs in which I can directly study EBT with war-affected populations (refugees), and I would also love a program that would allow me to do this with children. Career-wise I would love to work at a non-profit doing mental health research with war-affected populations or implementing EBT in low and middle-income countries, but I would also be happy at a University. Unfortunately,the only programs I can find with a Professor with a primarily refugee focus are at very competitive programs (I assume because they need more funding?). TC Columbia, U Wash, Harvard*, Fordham, UCSB. So I didn't fall into the trap of wanting a competitive school just because it sounds prestigious, but rather my major passion is rather hard to find except in very competitive programs.

GRE
V: 167 (98%)
Q: 155 (59%)
W: 5.0 (93%)

B.A. Psychology (minors in Arabic and International Studies):
GPA: 3.74 (Psych GPA: 3.93)
Pursuing Arabic major currently.

Pubs and Presentations: Chapter publication (3rd author) and Honors Thesis as well as a poster presentation. After graduating I spent a year abroad interning at a non-profit.

I'm applying to about 20 programs, many of which are not big-name, and have a much broader focus on violence against women/ child abuse, so I haven't put all my eggs in one, ivy covered basket. While I would be more than happy at those programs, I am hoping to find a program that would let me work with war-affected populations.

My concern is that I attended a large state University deep in the Southeast. While my letters are I think great, and I accomplished a lot during my time in undergrad, I did not have the networking opportunities that people who went to more expensive Northeastern/ West coast institutions may have had. Additionally, I also know my quantitative score is low (I was initially advised by mentors that is my scores were over 50% I shouldn't worry about retesting because most schools don't care, but now it seems that other posters here disagree). My pros are because I am technically unaffiliated/ graduated, the research data I collect at my internship now will basically be able to be claimed by whatever professor/ program I end up at which would potentially be awesome. But also I will be competing against masters students with more research experience and people from more prestigious schools which could make those advantages moot. So, what are my chances? Is there anything else I can do at this point to set myself apart?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and any future responses!

*The Harvard Clin Psych program actually does not have faculty with a refugee focus, but their Psychiatry program does incredible work with refugees. I have corresponded with my PI asking if I could potentially use his work with refugee populations, and he kindly indicated were I admitted I would be encouraged to pursue that as a personal research interest, so I am counting it as one of my top choices.

Last edited:
I'm applying to about 20 programs, many of which are not big-name, and have a much broader focus on violence against women/ child abuse, so I haven't put all my eggs in one, ivy covered basket. While I would be happy at those programs, I am rather desperate to find a program that would let me work with war-affected populations.

I'm not sure how you have presented yourself and your interests, but it's possible you could come across as a bit too narrowly focused and "mission-driven." You see yourself in certain setting and populations, but what is it that interests you from a scholarly perspective? What are the skills you might need to bring to these settings? Most programs don't offer a specialty focus in refugee mental health, true, but the foundation that many programs offer can help you build toward that specialized focus. It's nice to break into a career as the "star student" of a person well known in their area, but that is NOT the only way it's done (and it comes with some disadvantages).

When it comes to your clinical training, again, you're going to start with theory and foundations and apply these to less distressed populations before anyone lets you get near a severely traumatized patient. After grad school, there are two further critical steps toward specialization, internship and postdoc, so there are at least two additional opportunities to gain more experience and to specialize in mental health of immigrants, refugees, trafficked persons, etc.

the research data I collect at my internship now will basically be able to be claimed by whatever professor/ program I end up at which would potentially be awesome.

I think you're overvaluing the idea of coming in with your "own data." Are you sure your research data will be portable and that there is not already someone who has a "claim" to it? The fact that you're collecting the data outside the US will also complicate matters. Your mentor/advisor in grad school will probably encourage you to wrap up your current research as soon as possible so that you can focus on working in his or her lab. Remember, you are a trainee, not a collaborator.

My concern is that I attended a large state University deep in the Southeast. While my letters are I think great, and I accomplished a lot during my time in undergrad, I did not have the networking opportunities that people who went to more expensive Northeastern/ West coast institutions may have had.

Look, most incoming graduate students have not done extensive networking. It's a good idea to let your mentor guide you in this. Professional organizations are good places to network, but you usually need to be in grad school to join. For example, APA Division 56 has been promoting a lot of work in the area of refugee mental health, and you might consider joining as a student member once you start graduate school; see: Webinar Series | Division of Trauma Psychology

Career-wise I would love to work at a non-profit doing mental health research with war-affected populations or implementing EBT in low and middle-income countries, but I would also be happy at a University.

These are pretty different paths. Don't rule out public health or public policy just yet, especially if it's not important that you provide the treatment yourself. Psychiatry is also not a bad way to go, though there are more hurdles to clear in that path for sure.

But also I will be competing against masters students with more research experience and people from more prestigious schools which could make those advantages moot.

It's the "more research experience" part that counts most here. The work you're doing for an international nonprofit sounds very interesting and fulfilling, but it may not necessarily be viewed in the same league as, say, two years of progressively independent research experience in a US university-based setting. Most faculty value competence over passion, which is not to say that you can't have both, but the former is absolutely necessary to demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm applying to about 20 programs, many of which are not big-name, and have a much broader focus on violence against women/ child abuse, so I haven't put all my eggs in one, ivy covered basket. While I would be happy at those programs, I am rather desperate to find a program that would let me work with war-affected populations.

PM me if you'd like to talk through options, and perhaps I can point you in a few directions, as this is my area of research and practice...and I'm a new faculty member in a Clinical Psych PhD program. I agree with MamaPhD that you need a program that provides you a good foundation in evidence-based treatment for trauma, oppression, and acculturation/adjustment - and that takes a contextual, strengths based perspective grounded in and responsive to diverse cultures. You'll also need a program that will provide you extensive supervision in providing therapy through interpreters (not many programs do this well, unfortunately). That said, your program doesn't need a label on it for you to necessarily get this training. For example, I was trained in a more generalist program, but I was connected to practicum sites where I could get these experiences and worked with a mentor whose research was in the area. I then matched at an internship that honed my skills further. There are a number of programs you might consider adding to your list and ones that might not have the label but are situated to provide you the needed foundational training and access to research/clinical opportunities to strengthen your skills. In addition to Division 56, check out the National Consortium of Torture Treatment Programs (NCTTP - Home) and the Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers (Society of Refugee Healthcare Providers). See who is regularly presenting at their conference. Take a look at the Torture Journal (International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims). See who is authoring pieces. I think you'll start to get more ideas. PM me if you want to talk more; I'm happy to consider directions with you.

@MamaPhD Thank you for that super detailed response! I appreciate the time you took to do that. I did try to focus on the academic reason I wanted to study trauma in minority/ war-exposed groups (often under-studied, a fair amount of conflict in the literature, importance of creating culturally-relevant intervention techniques or training laypersons from the host community in gold-standard techniques). Honestly you're right, my major fear is that those other great 15-ish schools will be able to tell my main passion is trauma in multicultural settings, and won't see a match as a possibility. Though I think I would be sufficiently passionate about studying interventions in more "traditional" populations.

I made an effort to ensure the data was unique. It's certainly not the first effectiveness study, but I think the population and treatment center is unique enough that it would be valuable to the literature. Of course, someone else could disagree. I did get IRB approval at the American University here so that using it in the US wouldn't be an issue. But that is good advice, especially if I am admitted somewhere that doesn't have a multicultural interest, so I will make sure to make as much progress as possible this Spring so it's not viewed as a potential distraction.

I'll be sure to emphasize that experience in interviews, both here independently, and in labs back at my University. While staying and doing RA work there was certainly a more obvious choice, none of the Professors were currently doing any trauma research (my thesis advisor did some, but it was more focused on meaning/ purpose theory), so I thought perhaps doing this and having a trauma focus would demonstrate a better fit than staying in a lab without their focus. Though I of course could have been wrong. Thank you for your input! It is much appreciated.

@SLB-CO Thank you so much for that advice and those resources! That is so great! I will definitely comb through them for any good programs I may have missed in my earlier searches. I'm also just on my way out the door to work (time zones are funny things) but I will send you a message when I have a minute!

Thanks again to you both!

Hi everyone! I am hoping to apply for Clinical Psych PhD programs this upcoming cycle. I currently have been in contact with a few different professors at the following universities and have scheduled pre-interviews. However, I am concerned that I will not even be considered due to my GRE scores....Please let me know your input on my chances!!

Stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.56 (bio and psych)
Psych GPA: 3.93

This where I am worried...I just can't seem to get these up:
GRE: 155V/150Q; 5.0 Analytical

Research Experience:
Honors Thesis
4 years of undergrad research experience
Presented 5 different posters
2 publications in R&R, 4 more pending submission
1 year post grad research experience in 2 separate labs

Clinical Experience: 2 years working in a psychology clinic, and 1 years working as an undergraduate counselor.

I have made sure each place I applying has a PI that my interests are a great fit for. Theses are schools I will apply to:

Virginia Tech
Florida State University
Brigham Young University
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Utah
Utah State
University of Virginia
Emory
Penn State
University of California San Diego

My recommendation letters come from the clinical training director (who is also currently my PI), another post-graduate research mentor, and my undergraduate professor/mentor.

Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone! I am hoping to apply for Clinical Psych PhD programs this upcoming cycle. I currently have been in contact with a few different professors at the following universities and have scheduled pre-interviews. However, I am concerned that I will not even be considered due to my GRE scores....Please let me know your input on my chances!!

Stats:

Research Experience:
Honors Thesis

Clinical Experience: 2 years working in a psychology clinic, and 1 years working as an undergraduate counselor.

I have made sure each place I applying has a PI that my interests are a great fit for. Theses are schools I will apply to:

Virginia Tech
Florida State University
Brigham Young University
University of Utah
Utah State
University of Virginia
Emory
Penn State

My recommendation letters come from the clinical training director (who is also currently my PI), another post-graduate research mentor, and my undergraduate professor/mentor.

However, I am concerned that I will not even be considered due to my GRE scores

1. Do any of the programs on your list specify a cutoff?
2. How many times have you taken the GRE?
3. How have you prepared for the GRE in the past?

Your other stats and experience look great.

Stats:

Research Experience:
Honors Thesis

Virginia Tech
Florida State University
Brigham Young University
University of Utah
Utah State
University of Virginia
Emory
Penn State

Most of your stats look great, but what do these "pre-interviews" consist of?

It sounds intense. What POIs have time to do those with prospective applicants?

WAMC: Undergrad senior, graduating come spring with a Psychobiology B.S. and a Linguistics B.A.
gpa at a very alarming 3.24, psych gpa 3.35
2 yrs of research experience (including independent research) in neurosci and clinical psych, has only one poster but working on more/pubs
Certified support group facilitator in a CBT research study (1 yr exp.)
180+ hrs clinical volunteer exp. at a hospital
President of a research journal club org
Published co-author of a educational linguistics book
Don't have a GRE score yet but have taken prep courses

Looking to apply to Clinical Psychology PhD programs.
I'm not applying this cycle, but want some insight on how I can use my gap year(s) to compensate for my low gpa and enhance my research experience. Thank you to whoever is willing to help!

WAMC: Undergrad senior, graduating come spring with a Psychobiology B.S. and a Linguistics B.A.
gpa at a very alarming 3.24, psych gpa 3.35
2 yrs of research experience (including independent research) in neurosci and clinical psych, has only one poster but working on more/pubs
Certified support group facilitator in a CBT research study (1 yr exp.)
180+ hrs clinical volunteer exp. at a hospital
President of a research journal club org
Published co-author of a educational linguistics book
Don't have a GRE score yet but have taken prep courses

Looking to apply to Clinical Psychology PhD programs.
I'm not applying this cycle, but want some insight on how I can use my gap year(s) to compensate for my low gpa and enhance my research experience. Thank you to whoever is willing to help!
Unless you kill it on your GRE, maybe you should look into a terminal masters program in experimental or clinical psych where you can shore up your GPA and get more research productivity.

Hi guys. I wanted some advice on whether if I should apply this year or next year. I am an undergraduate student interested in a PhD in cognitive psychology. If I apply next year, I will have more research experience and likely a 3.5+ GPA. Here is a summary of my credentials excluding my senior year:
Major: B.S. in Psychology
Minor: Applied Statistics
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Major GPA: 3.86
(I did very bad my freshmen year, but there is a strong upward slope).
GRE Verbal: 158
GRE Math: 152
I am going to take the gre one more time. My math score was a lot lower than my practice exams.
Research experience: 1.5 years in a Developmental lab, 1 year in a Cognitive Psychology lab, 8 months in a Cognitive Psychology lab (all concurrently)
I have no presentations, but my professor said that I will be a co-author in his next publication (which I am hoping will be done by the time I apply). I am also acknowledged in a publication for a previous experiment.
Work experience: Worked as an Americorps mentor for 1 year - (helped children with low socioeconomic background and did community service work)
3 strong recommendation letters
Thanks in advance!

Hi guys. I wanted some advice on whether if I should apply this year or next year. I am an undergraduate student interested in a PhD in cognitive psychology. If I apply next year, I will have more research experience and likely a 3.5+ GPA. Here is a summary of my credentials excluding my senior year:
Major: B.S. in Psychology
Minor: Applied Statistics
Undergraduate GPA: 3.4
Major GPA: 3.86
(I did very bad my freshmen year, but there is a strong upward slope).
GRE Verbal: 158
GRE Math: 152
I am going to take the gre one more time. My math score was a lot lower than my practice exams.
Research experience: 1.5 years in a Developmental lab, 1 year in a Cognitive Psychology lab, 8 months in a Cognitive Psychology lab (all concurrently)
I have no presentations, but my professor said that I will be a co-author in his next publication (which I am hoping will be done by the time I apply). I am also acknowledged in a publication for a previous experiment.
Work experience: Worked as an Americorps mentor for 1 year - (helped children with low socioeconomic background and did community service work)
3 strong recommendation letters
Thanks in advance!
What types of programs are you applying to?

WAMC:

Hello! I recently took the GRE and feel like I really fricked it up on the quantitative and analytical writing sections, and now I wonder if I should retake it. I have a B.A.in Film Studies and I'm applying to M.S. programs in Experimental Psych, so I was really hoping to slam dunk it.

Undergrad GPA: 3.5
V: 168
Q: 155
AW: 4.0 (That one's the ouch)

Applying to Seton Hall, Villanova, and Fordham (Clinical Research Methods). I should have some strong letters of recommendation but not a ton of research experience. I do have direct experience working on a data project with my city's school district that I'm hoping may distinguish my application at least a little bit. All help appreciated!

Stats:

Research Experience:
Honors Thesis

Virginia Tech
Florida State University
Brigham Young University
University of Utah
Utah State
University of Virginia
Emory
Penn State

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC sticky.

Most of your stats look great, but what do these "pre-interviews" consist of?

It sounds intense. What POIs have time to do those with prospective applicants?

Thank you for your reply! So far with they have consisted of asking me about my future research interests, whether or not I have any questions about their program, and invitations to meet with them during ABCT. I am mostly concerned about my GRE scores. I just can't seem to get them up. I feel like as long as my other qualifications are actually looked at I will be fine, but I wanted to know my chances given at a lot of universities it's a numbers game.

1. Do any of the programs on your list specify a cutoff?
2. How many times have you taken the GRE?
3. How have you prepared for the GRE in the past?

Your other stats and experience look great.

1) Thank you for your reply!! One program says the minimum is 60th percentile for both verbal and quantitative. However, it is my home institution at which I am also applying. There is another on the list that has cutoffs that I do not make by one point, but they mentioned they will seriously consider people who don't make it, but have other strong qualifications. I am just concerned I won't even be considered because my scores are so low.

2) I have taken it 3 times. My scores are about the same each time.

3) I have had a GRE tutor, and prepared with practice books, Magoosh, etc. It is the only test I have ever taken that makes me so anxious I blank out on everything.

I have had a GRE tutor, and prepared with practice books, Magoosh, etc. It is the only test I have ever taken that makes me so anxious I blank out on everything.

It sounds like the problem may be less related to knowledge/ability than to anxiety. I don't know how much time you have, but perhaps you'd benefit from a different kind of "test prep" focused on the central issue.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about University of Alaska Anchorage's Community-Clinical Psychology Ph.D Program/ my chances of being a good fit for this program.

GRE- 150's and writing score 4.
GPA 3.2
Worked the past three years in community mental health working with SED youth and their families.
Worked as a chaplain for a year working with people going through various traumatic situations and providing culturally and religiously sensitive emotional support.
Volunteered in a psych research lab for the past two years. This lab explores race/gender/bias issues.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about University of Alaska Anchorage's Community-Clinical Psychology Ph.D Program/ my chances of being a good fit for this program.

GRE- 150's and writing score 4.
GPA 3.2
Worked the past three years in community mental health working with SED youth and their families.
Worked as a chaplain for a year working with people going through various traumatic situations and providing culturally and religiously sensitive emotional support.
Volunteered in a psych research lab for the past two years. This lab explores race/gender/bias issues.

Have you looked on their website for basic information? I don't know about them at all but it appears as though GRE scores are optional for their application and you need a minimum of a 3.0 to be considered. Seems like you at least wouldn't get screened out. Outcome data seems ok and they are APA accredited which is good.

Have you looked on their website for basic information? I don't know about them at all but it appears as though GRE scores are optional for their application and you need a minimum of a 3.0 to be considered. Seems like you at least wouldn't get screened out. Outcome data seems ok and they are APA accredited which is good.
I could be confusing them with another program I reviewed, but I seem to remember them not taking any students last year or the year before, because they were supposedly retooling their program to improve it. That was enough to ward me off of it.

I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible. I've condensed my blurb to the most quintessential details. I'm new to this website so if I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies.

I graduated in 2013 from a decently ranked university (US News ranking between 45 and 60), with a general GPA of 3.43 and a psych GPA of 3.16. I participated in two labs during my junior and senior year. One semester in a language lab and three semesters at a neuropsych lab. I have a good standing at both labs (I'm a hard worker), however, I have no publications or poster presentations from my time there. A little after graduation, I volunteered at another university lab for a few months before the PI did not keep her word and I did not receive the training I had been promised. After leaving, the PI said I could reach out to her for a LOR.

I've also took the GRE three times and the last time I scored the following: Verbal Reasoning 160; Quant 147; AWA 4.0. Second time I took it I got 157, 162, 3.5 respectively.

Fast forward to 2017 and I'm working as a community college adviser in the math department--been doing it for three years now. I have applied to clinical psychology PhD programs twice and a family and couple's counseling master's program once since I graduated. I was rejected by all 7 PhD programs I applied to (four 1st round, three 2nd round). The professional psychology master's program, no surprise, accepted me; I did not accept the offer. I've also applied to over 30 labs and emailed 16 PIs I would be interested in working with but to no avail.

I have a strong interest in research. You might say my past does not show it. And you're right. However, during my undergrad years I wasn't sure if I wanted to do research or practice. I got interested in Psych my junior year. I changed majors from biology to psych that year. I eventually found my interest moving more towards research in developmental psychopathology but only after I had graduated.

Being an adviser isn't getting me anywhere and the pay is too low considering I have a child on the way. I am currently in the process of opening a preschool. I doubt I'll have time as the director of the preschool to volunteer part-time in labs. I don't want to do the preschool thing long term, but it's an opportunity I don't think I can afford to pass by.

So with psychology LOR more than two years old, no publications or posters, and my opening of a preschool, is it possible I could still dream of obtaining my PhD? I'm about to be 31; could I strengthen my CV/experience in a few years? Again, I would highly enjoy doing research. I'm into the stats, research methods, doing literature reviews, etc. I took part of a research program with medical students and really enjoyed it. Not to mention my interest in developmental psychopathology.

Thanks for reading. Hope to get some advise, input.

I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible. I've condensed my blurb to the most quintessential details. I'm new to this website so if I posted this in the wrong place, my apologies.

I graduated in 2013 from a decently ranked university (US News ranking between 45 and 60), with a general GPA of 3.43 and a psych GPA of 3.16. I participated in two labs during my junior and senior year. One semester in a language lab and three semesters at a neuropsych lab. I have a good standing at both labs (I'm a hard worker), however, I have no publications or poster presentations from my time there. A little after graduation, I volunteered at another university lab for a few months before the PI did not keep her word and I did not receive the training I had been promised. After leaving, the PI said I could reach out to her for a LOR.

I've also took the GRE three times and the last time I scored the following: Verbal Reasoning 160; Quant 147; AWA 4.0. Second time I took it I got 157, 162, 3.5 respectively.

Fast forward to 2017 and I'm working as a community college adviser in the math department--been doing it for three years now. I have applied to clinical psychology PhD programs twice and a family and couple's counseling master's program once since I graduated. I was rejected by all 7 PhD programs I applied to (four 1st round, three 2nd round). The professional psychology master's program, no surprise, accepted me; I did not accept the offer. I've also applied to over 30 labs and emailed 16 PIs I would be interested in working with but to no avail.

I have a strong interest in research. You might say my past does not show it. And you're right. However, during my undergrad years I wasn't sure if I wanted to do research or practice. I got interested in Psych my junior year. I changed majors from biology to psych that year. I eventually found my interest moving more towards research in developmental psychopathology but only after I had graduated.

Being an adviser isn't getting me anywhere and the pay is too low considering I have a child on the way. I am currently in the process of opening a preschool. I doubt I'll have time as the director of the preschool to volunteer part-time in labs. I don't want to do the preschool thing long term, but it's an opportunity I don't think I can afford to pass by.

So with psychology LOR more than two years old, no publications or posters, and my opening of a preschool, is it possible I could still dream of obtaining my PhD? I'm about to be 31; could I strengthen my CV/experience in a few years? Again, I would highly enjoy doing research. I'm into the stats, research methods, doing literature reviews, etc. I took part of a research program with medical students and really enjoyed it. Not to mention my interest in developmental psychopathology.

Thanks for reading. Hope to get some advise, input.

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC sticky thread.

I could be confusing them with another program I reviewed, but I seem to remember them not taking any students last year or the year before, because they were supposedly retooling their program to improve it. That was enough to ward me off of it.

Yeah it looks like from the outcome data they didn't take anyone for the 2016-17 year but did take some for the 2017-18 year. They have had what appears at least 1 drop out nearly every year but about a 100% APA internship match rate for the last few years. The GRE optional thing is weird to me though....