This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope. I didn't do a thesis in undergrad and I got into my top choice program and received offers from several other programs as well.

Wow, I'm surprised. I was so worried seeing how people on sdn have 1+ pubs during their undergrad and still don't make it.

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, off topic, but is this your first year? Is it everything SDN prepared you for? ;)
Yup, I just started.

It's going quite well and I honestly have to thank all of you for your help getting into grad school. Your advice has helped in everything from picking programs to applications to interviews to getting started in the program. And I'm still getting some great advice about practica, pubs, internships, post docs, etc.

Wow, I'm surprised. I was so worried seeing how people on sdn have 1+ pubs during their undergrad and still don't make it.
I think one or two people in my cohort have pubs of some kind and some have posters. One has a master's degree coming into the program. I have none of these things, but I have pretty extensive clinical experience. I received several offers, including from multiple clinical science programs.

Honestly, it's really about how you talk about what experience you do have. Someone could have tons of productivity, but totally blow it with their personal statement or interview. You need them to see that you're a mature, critical thinker who will be able to handle the demands and expectations of grad school, but you also have to be personable. These people will spend the better part of a decade with you and maintain relationships afterwards, so they aren't going to want to be around a jerk, regardless of how prolific they are. It's ok to be a weirdo, most of us are. Just be the right kind of weirdo.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to get into any credible psyd or phd program that will accept me. I personally believe I'm almost perfect except my gpa.

It's terrible and below a 3.0. I'm sitting at a very ugly 2.87. Before anyone says anything about how I shouldn't apply, just know I'm very aware of how slim my chances are with this gpa. I'm not looking for discouragement. I'm looking for a way in.

Besides the GPA, I've been an advocate for mental health in public policy, have lobbied and helped draft legislation in the state of Minnesota that was passed in the house and senate. I've worked at NAMI and have been a personal care attendant for those experiencing anything from MDD to FAS. I have 2 years of research and have participated in 2 labs focusing on cognitive improvements in children and the dark triad. I'm currently working at a psychiatric facility as a Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation technician, a relatively new therapy approved for MDD. In this position, I'm directly treating treatment resistant patients while documenting their improvements for a research paper that is to come.

I will be taking the GRE a second time next month to improve my score but I'm sitting at a 158 for verbal, 150 for quantitative and a 4.4 for analytical writing.

I have such a passion for this field of work and am willing to do anything to become an LP. I just would rather not have to start at a masters level, as I view it as a longer road with more money spent.

Any suggestions on schools that would accept me or opinions on my competitiveness? Is it necessary to start at a masters?
I'm not really seeing where you're getting "almost perfect except my gpa."

Your GPA is a full point below the average GPAs of admitted students at many programs. Typically, you need stellar (i.e. near-perfect) GRE scores and maybe a masters degree to compensate for that. Without those, grad programs would justifiably question your ability to handle their coursework.

What exactly did you do in your two labs? Do you have any posters or publications from them? Just having been in two labs for two years isn't really enough. You need to have made substantial contributions beyond data entry and other grunt work. Posters and publication are the most salient demonstrations of these contributions.

Being a public policy advocate is nice, but it doesn't really involve the skill set that is required for grad school. Yes, psychologists may do that kind of work later on, but that's an added layer that comes later and isn't really part of the core skills of grad school. It's like saying that your experience with EMR coding makes you qualified for grad school.

Being a personal care attendant and TMS tech are nice, but at some point they have diminishing returns, because you can't do the more substantial work with your level of training. Maybe if you were looking to do related research in grad school, it would make for a good addition to your personal statement, but, again, it doesn't add all that much. What looks promising is that the TMS stuff could lead to a paper, but will you be one of the co-authors? What are you doing for it besides being the tech and recording data? I would also refrain from saying that you "treated patients." You "assisted" in treating patients, but were not the one doing the treatment, because you are not a licensed provider.

As much as you don't want to, I would advise going for a master's degree in experimental psychology or some other focus that will allow you focus on research. When you finish the program, you'll have research experience that will be highly applicable to admissions and you'll have a 4.0 GPA to demonstrate that you can handle advanced coursework.

I have such a passion for this field of work and am willing to do anything to become an LP. I just would rather not have to start at a masters level, as I view it as a longer road with more money spent.

Any suggestions on schools that would accept me or opinions on my competitiveness? Is it necessary to start at a masters?

Are there extenuating circumstances that would help explain your GPA? A really bad (early) year followed by an improving trend looks a lot better than C's and B's across the board. More to your question, it won't hurt to try, but I think your options will open if you do a master's to establish a solid record of academic performance and generate some research products (posters, maybe a publication if you can).

Attending a program that sets a low bar for admission will lock you out of a lot of opportunities later on, so as tempting as that option might seem, I would recommend strongly against it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the middle of a career change. I have worked for 3 years in the accounting industry. After a bout of depression, I realized that it is not my passion and I want to perform mental health research. Specifically, I am interested in the mood and psychotic disorders. I want to research there causes and prevention techniques. The closer I can get to understanding societal influence on individual behavior the better! I am especially interested in childhood intervention and learning how family dynamics impact the likelihood of future disorders.

Past:
Master of Accountancy - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
GPA: 3.50/4.00

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Major: Accounting and Psychology
Minor: Statistics
GPA: 3.52/4.00
Psychology GPA: 3.8/4.0

Present:
I am currently pursuing a Master of Public Health in Biostatistics at George Washington University. My current GPA is a 4.0 (based on 9 credit hours).

Questions:
Do I need to complete the MPH first?

What GRE should I shoot for?

What other suggestions do you have for me?

I am thinking that I will postpone my application until next year. Help me get there please!

My programs of choice:
Johns Hopkins University - PHD in Mental Health
University of Maryland College Park - Clinical Child and Pediatric
Virginia Commonwealth University - Clinical (child focus)

I am in the middle of a career change. I have worked for 3 years in the accounting industry. After a bout of depression, I realized that it is not my passion and I want to perform mental health research. Specifically, I am interested in the mood and psychotic disorders. I want to research there causes and prevention techniques. The closer I can get to understanding societal influence on individual behavior the better! I am especially interested in childhood intervention and learning how family dynamics impact the likelihood of future disorders.

Past:
Master of Accountancy - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
GPA: 3.50/4.00

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Major: Accounting and Psychology
Minor: Statistics
GPA: 3.52/4.00
Psychology GPA: 3.8/4.0

Present:
I am currently pursuing a Master of Public Health in Biostatistics at George Washington University. My current GPA is a 4.0 (based on 9 credit hours).

Questions:

I am thinking that I will postpone my application until next year. Help me get there please!

My programs of choice:
MPH? Keep going. Quitting looks bad and it's a good opportunity to show you can handle graduate level coursework.

GRE? As high as possible

Do you have any research experience? It's quite necessary to get into a good program.

MPH? Keep going. Quitting looks bad and it's a good opportunity to show you can handle graduate level coursework.

GRE? As high as possible

Do you have any research experience? It's quite necessary to get into a good program.

I should keep going even with a past masters degree?

No research experience. I working my hardest to find something as soon as possible.

I should keep going even with a past masters degree?

No research experience. I working my hardest to find something as soon as possible.

I'd keep going with the MPH. The clinical psych PhD admissions process is long. At this point, you wouldn't be applying until fall 2018 at the earliest, to start summer 2019. That's assuming you get an offer in the first go round. At least with the MPH, you've got some options in the unfortunate circumstance that things don't work out. Another thing, you need to cast a WIDE net in grad school options. At least in clinical psych programs, the acceptance rates are usually like 2-5% of applications received. This is not like applying to undergraduate or many masters programs. And, as was mentioned, you'll need some research experience, especially if you are trying to get into a more research focused program.

Questions:

My programs of choice:

Yes, I'd go ahead and finish the MPH especially since you are concentrating on stats. That's a great skill set to have going in to grad school.

Shoot for the highest GRE scores you can manage. Try to get involved in research with one of your master's program faculty. If you have a thesis option that requires you to conduct original research, go for it. As others have noted, you'll need to apply more broadly to Ph.D. programs. Many factors influence grad school admissions such that even highly competitive applicants can't always be accommodated. Limiting yourself geographically greatly lowers your chances of admission.

Hi all,

I am in my senior year of undergrad at a college in New York City. I had a quick question about general admissions into colleges or universities that offer Masters or Doctorate programs in Psychology and/or Mental Health Counseling.

I will be working as an assistant to a psychiatrist who is also a professor at NYU School of Medicine. I recently became super interested in the field of psychology after spending some time with cyclists and others who experienced some type of condition that required attention from a psychologist or psychiatrist. However, I currently possess a 3.0 solid GPA and unfortunately, I think it may slightly drop this semester (I'm trying my best to keep it where it's at or raise it up this semester!).

I just wanted to know what the likelihood would be if I were to receive tips and recommendation from a psychiatrist from NYU School of Medicine.

Let's say that my GPA is a 3.0 solid or slightly below but I happen to study hard and do really well on the GRE/GMAT/MCAT or whatever test I need to take to get into graduate school. On top of that, I have some experience working in a clinic and recommendations from the psychiatrist I will be working with. What would my chances be - if you had to roughly take a guess?

Mod Note: Merged into the WAMC thread.

Hi all,

I am in my senior year of undergrad at a college in New York City. I had a quick question about general admissions into colleges or universities that offer Masters or Doctorate programs in Psychology and/or Mental Health Counseling.

I will be working as an assistant to a psychiatrist who is also a professor at NYU School of Medicine. I recently became super interested in the field of psychology after spending some time with cyclists and others who experienced some type of condition that required attention from a psychologist or psychiatrist. However, I currently possess a 3.0 solid GPA and unfortunately, I think it may slightly drop this semester (I'm trying my best to keep it where it's at or raise it up this semester!).

I just wanted to know what the likelihood would be if I were to receive tips and recommendation from a psychiatrist from NYU School of Medicine.

Let's say that my GPA is a 3.0 solid or slightly below but I happen to study hard and do really well on the GRE/GMAT/MCAT or whatever test I need to take to get into graduate school. On top of that, I have some experience working in a clinic and recommendations from the psychiatrist I will be working with. What would my chances be - if you had to roughly take a guess?
If you don't know which standardized test is required for graduate school in clinical psychology and haven't narrowed it down (and possibly don't understand the differences) between masters and doctoral programs in clinical psychology, assessing your chances to get into grad school is probably getting a few too many steps ahead of yourself.

Your chances would be low. Unless you are working as an assistant in a research setting, a recommendation from a psychiatrist is not going to carry a great deal of weight. Research experience is much more strongly favored than clinical experience for admission to psychology doctoral programs. Even with a good score on the GRE (that's the test in question) your academic performance and lack of research experience are major weak spots.

My advice to you would be to learn more about careers in the mental health field and take some time to narrow down your choices. You should have some interaction with working psychologists (academic and/or practitioners) and perhaps other types of professionals (eg, social work) before you settle on a career path. If ultimately you decide that psychology is the right career for you, then a master's degree may be a useful next step to improve your academic record and gain knowledge and experience in research.

More information can be found here: Ph.D. or Not? - Clinical Psych Grad School

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but so far all of the advice seems very helpful. I am planning on applying to 15-20 Clinical Psychology programs, as well as a few Industrial Organizational programs, and Master's programs for backup. I plan on applying to middle of the road programs due to the insanely competitive programs. I graduated with a 3.0 cumulative gap, a little under 3.5 in my final two years. I was in a pretty severe ski accident my freshman year and suffered from a substantial head injury, and therefore my grades suffered. My transcript shows a very strong upward trend, I nearly got all A's, and A-s, and a couple B+s during the final two years of my career. Near the beginning of my transcript following the accident I took elective classes like art, photo, and piano and got c's. I plan to articulate my recovery in my Personal statement, and I have very solid writing skills so I should be able to justify my plight and successes following it. My CV should be strong compared to other freshly graduated undergraduate candidates, and that should make up for my low cum. gpa as well. However, I have not published. I took the GRES completely cold without studying or knowing the format of the test, and got 50% percentile on both sections. I am now in the studying process and plan to take it two more times, more than likely upping my score to around 60-75th percentile.

Here are a few of them--
University of Nevada- Reno
California Professional School of Psychology
Hofstra
Saybrook Universsity
Montana
Western Michigan

here are some of my academic credentials.

-3.0 undergrad cumulative
-3.45 cum. gpa last two years
-3.2 psych cum.
-3.47 cum. last two years

research experience
-For around one year I conducted honors thesis research on connection of bumetanide (diuretic drug) and autistic symptomology in a rat laboratory. The research was neuropsych/biopsych/cognitive-behvarioally oriented. I performed an oral defense similar to that of an upper level thesis.
-I volunteered for a semester in a social-psychophysiological lab that was interested in examining physiological effects of social pressure situations (gender, race, socioeconomic status, sexuality)
-I performed independent research examining a model that I proposed that could examine a generalizable model of cell phone addiction in a rat laboratory. The research was neuron-behavioral oriented. To the best of my knowledge a similar model has not been proposed to date.

clinical experience
  • 3 years of direct experience in Mental Health (while I was in undergrad and researching at the same time---ended up having some long days)
  • Interned at Psych agency for a summer--taught classes to autistic children
  • Job Coaching- Assist in intellectually disabled clients in finding, maintaining, and performing a job
  • Direct Support- Aided clients in social activities in community based settings
  • Psychometric Testing- Administer test batteries (CAPS, COPS, Purdue, WAIS) to Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Clients
  • I've volunteered at summer camps and churches
  • Job Shadowed Drug and Alcohol intakes and counseling
  • I have Shadowed one on one counseling sessions
  • I tutored elementary school kids in various subjects
  • I also represented my school's (Allegheny College in Pennsylvania's) student body on my local county's board of drug and alcohol

I also have refereed soccer for around six years or so (it shows my dedication, and decision making abilities under pressure as well as detail orientation)
  • so.....What are my chances? I appreciate any kind of advice or comments, I know this is long.

Last edited:
Take CSPP off the list, friends don't let friends go to any place with "Professional School of Psychology" in the name. You're just setting yourself up for loads of debt and diminished job prospects. The GPA is on the lower end of acceptable, so you'll need things that buoy that. Upward trend helps a little. You'll need a higher score on the GRE, especially Verbal. Shoot for 75%+. You have decent research experiences, any posters from that? If not, could you propose trying to write up a manuscript or do a poster to your PI on any of those projects? Clinical/volunteering experience is good, but well past the diminishing returns at this point, don't focus on any more unless you want to. I'd say average chances, mostly due to peripherals being strong. If you can up the GRE considerably, above average chances.

Reactions: 2 users
Take CSPP off the list, friends don't let friends go to any place with "Professional School of Psychology" in the name. You're just setting yourself up for loads of debt and diminished job prospects. The GPA is on the lower end of acceptable, so you'll need things that buoy that. Upward trend helps a little. You'll need a higher score on the GRE, especially Verbal. Shoot for 75%+. You have decent research experiences, any posters from that? If not, could you propose trying to write up a manuscript or do a poster to your PI on any of those projects? Clinical/volunteering experience is good, but well past the diminishing returns at this point, don't focus on any more unless you want to. I'd say average chances, mostly due to peripherals being strong. If you can up the GRE considerably, above average chances.

Thanks for the response. I agree, CSPP would not be an educated decision because I would come out around 200k in debt, however I initially included as a back up plan if I couldn't get into a funded program from a University. I do not have any posters, my school was small and private and it was rather rare for students to attend poster presentations. I believe the quality of my writing has the potential to be put into a manuscript. However, if not accepted, would it still look good that I had proposed a manuscript? As far as a poster, I recently graduated so I don't necessarily have an immediate connection to present my poster, i.e. thru school psych conventions etc.

I agree with the 75th percentile, the GREs are my main focus right now, which is much more important than getting more clinical experience at this point because I already have a solid amount for being 22.

Unless you are great at testing in general and the topics involved, why would you waste your money on the GRE when you didn't do any preparation for even the test format?

Unless you are great at testing in general and the topics involved, why would you waste your money on the GRE when you didn't do any preparation for even the test format?

I agree with you that it was partially a waste of money, however what I was aiming to do was get a rough baseline to see how much time I needed to invest to do well. I am a good test taker, but it doesn't help when you haven't taken a math course in five years and the vocabulary is very obscure lol.

I agree with you that it was partially a waste of money, however what I was aiming to do was get a rough baseline to see how much time I needed to invest to do well. I am a good test taker, but it doesn't help when you haven't taken a math course in five years and the vocabulary is very obscure lol.
And why wouldn't a practice test have sufficed instead of what, $205?

And why wouldn't a practice test have sufficed instead of what, $205?

I think it was $206, looking back it wasn't the greatest decision but it doesn't make sense ruminating on the money lost when I should be focusing more on upping my scores and my portfolio rather than not being happy that I wasted what I can be making in two hours during a counseling session.

I think it was $206, looking back it wasn't the greatest decision but it doesn't make sense ruminating on the money lost when I should be focusing more on upping my scores and my portfolio rather than not being happy that I wasted what I can be making in two hours during a counseling session.
I wasn't suggesting you should ruminate about it, I'm saying it's an example of poor decision-making based on improper information. As another example, seethe bolded section.

I wasn't suggesting you should ruminate about it, I'm saying it's an example of poor decision-making based on improper information. As another example, seethe bolded section.

Well, not that I need to defend myself but yes it was a poor decision, and ultimately what I was doing was self-handicapping and not dedicated myself to the test, but It does not matter now. And I'm not sure as to what you meant in what you bolded.

WAMC
UGPA: 3.8
GRE: Haven't taken yet, practice quant is distressing (147-152), V 157
Good Letters of rec, one year research experience with a first author pub, 4 second author posters (national), 1 podium presentation (regional) and 1 poster first author regional (one first place at conference). I am also part of the IRB at a Naval Medical Center
Clinical experience is lacking but extensive volunteer work with Red Cross and one year as a victim advocate
Not that it matters but I am a veteran so funding isn't as big of an issue as it may be for some since I have a GI Bill.
Applying to PsyD programs only. Widener, LaSalle, Antioch NE, and Chestnut Hill. Geographic flexibility is not an option. I am also applying to 2 very respectable MSW programs.
Any insight is appreciated!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but so far all of the advice seems very helpful. I am planning on applying to 15-20 Clinical Psychology programs, as well as a few Industrial Organizational programs, and Master's programs for backup. I plan on applying to middle of the road programs due to the insanely competitive programs. I graduated with a 3.0 cumulative gap, a little under 3.5 in my final two years. I was in a pretty severe ski accident my freshman year and suffered from a substantial head injury, and therefore my grades suffered. My transcript shows a very strong upward trend, I nearly got all A's, and A-s, and a couple B+s during the final two years of my career. Near the beginning of my transcript following the accident I took elective classes like art, photo, and piano and got c's. I plan to articulate my recovery in my Personal statement, and I have very solid writing skills so I should be able to justify my plight and successes following it. My CV should be strong compared to other freshly graduated undergraduate candidates, and that should make up for my low cum. gpa as well. However, I have not published. I took the GRES completely cold without studying or knowing the format of the test, and got 50% percentile on both sections. I am now in the studying process and plan to take it two more times, more than likely upping my score to around 60-75th percentile.

Here are a few of them--
University of Nevada- Reno
California Professional School of Psychology
Hofstra
Saybrook Universsity
Montana
Western Michigan

here are some of my academic credentials.

-3.0 undergrad cumulative
-3.45 cum. gpa last two years
-3.2 psych cum.
-3.47 cum. last two years

research experience
-For around one year I conducted honors thesis research on connection of bumetanide (diuretic drug) and autistic symptomology in a rat laboratory. The research was neuropsych/biopsych/cognitive-behvarioally oriented. I performed an oral defense similar to that of an upper level thesis.
-I volunteered for a semester in a social-psychophysiological lab that was interested in examining physiological effects of social pressure situations (gender, race, socioeconomic status, sexuality)
-I performed independent research examining a model that I proposed that could examine a generalizable model of cell phone addiction in a rat laboratory. The research was neuron-behavioral oriented. To the best of my knowledge a similar model has not been proposed to date.

clinical experience
  • 3 years of direct experience in Mental Health (while I was in undergrad and researching at the same time---ended up having some long days)
  • Interned at Psych agency for a summer--taught classes to autistic children
  • Job Coaching- Assist in intellectually disabled clients in finding, maintaining, and performing a job
  • Direct Support- Aided clients in social activities in community based settings
  • Psychometric Testing- Administer test batteries (CAPS, COPS, Purdue, WAIS) to Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Clients
  • I've volunteered at summer camps and churches
  • Job Shadowed Drug and Alcohol intakes and counseling
  • I have Shadowed one on one counseling sessions
  • I tutored elementary school kids in various subjects
  • I also represented my school's (Allegheny College in Pennsylvania's) student body on my local county's board of drug and alcohol

I also have refereed soccer for around six years or so (it shows my dedication, and decision making abilities under pressure as well as detail orientation)
  • so.....What are my chances? I appreciate any kind of advice or comments, I know this is long.
Is any of your research experience similar to what you want to do in grad school (in either content area or methods)?

WAMC
UGPA: 3.8
GRE: Haven't taken yet, practice quant is distressing (147-152), V 157
Good Letters of rec, one year research experience with a first author pub, 4 second author posters (national), 1 podium presentation (regional) and 1 poster first author regional (one first place at conference). I am also part of the IRB at a Naval Medical Center
Clinical experience is lacking but extensive volunteer work with Red Cross and one year as a victim advocate
Not that it matters but I am a veteran so funding isn't as big of an issue as it may be for some since I have a GI Bill.
Applying to PsyD programs only. Widener, LaSalle, Antioch NE, and Chestnut Hill. Geographic flexibility is not an option. I am also applying to 2 very respectable MSW programs.
Any insight is appreciated!
Are you going to be flexible when it comes to internship and post doc?

Yes, although I would prefer be in the PA area. My husband is going to law school in PA.
Ok, just keep in mind that some of the programs you have listed have internship match rates that are unstable at best, while the others have good match rates, because they require you to use their captive internships. So, you're either rolling the dice that you'll get an internship at all or you're restricted to what they have chosen to offer you. Furthermore, while Widener's internship match rate is 100%, keep in mind that it is a captive internship half-time for two years instead of one year full-time.

I know that some people disagree with me, but I'm of the mind that captive internships are a bad thing, artificially inflating match rates and covering up for deficiencies and inconsistencies in training. If the students received good training, then they wouldn't need to use captive internships. They would be competitive with the graduates from other programs.

I could try for some of the better programs in Philly but if I thought I had a shot I wouldn't be asking WAMC about programs with less than stellar match rates ;-)

I could try for some of the better programs in Philly but if I thought I had a shot I wouldn't be asking WAMC about programs with less than stellar match rates ;-)
But that's a false choice. It's not that you have to settle for "programs with less than stellar match rates (those are not the only problems, they indicators of other endemic issues) or risk getting rejected from quality programs. You seem to already have some good research experience, so deferring your applications for a year to get some more research productivity and beef up your GRE scores would definitely make you more competitive.

WAMC?

UGPA: 3.71
Masters in psychology (NYU), GPA - 3.97
GRE: V 168, Quant 163, Psych GRE 790
Good Letters of rec, 5 years of research experience (2 at a lab while in grad school, 3 employed as a research associate at a rehab hospital), 2 publications (1 first author), relatively little conference experience but a few posters here and there, research has mostly been on factors affecting outcomes for a high-acuity hospital population (stroke, TBI, cardiac/pulmonary). I'm also an adjunct faculty member at a local college where I teach undergraduate statistics, have no idea if that'll help my candidacy.
Minimal clinical experience, but I have roughly 30 hours of observation with staff clinical neuropsychologists.

I'm applying to clinical PhD programs with neuropsych tracks or generally good neuropsych placements/opportunities
Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
WAMC?

Good Letters of rec, 5 years of research experience (2 at a lab while in grad school, 3 employed as a research associate at a rehab hospital), 2 publications (1 first author), relatively little conference experience but a few posters here and there, research has mostly been on factors affecting outcomes for a high-acuity hospital population (stroke, TBI, cardiac/pulmonary). I'm also an adjunct faculty member at a local college where I teach undergraduate statistics, have no idea if that'll help my candidacy.
Minimal clinical experience, but I have roughly 30 hours of observation with staff clinical neuropsychologists.

I'm applying to clinical PhD programs with neuropsych tracks or generally good neuropsych placements/opportunities
Thoughts?
Chances seem strong.

WAMC?

Thoughts?
I agree that chances look good. And yeah, stats will prob help.

Hello I am new to the forum I am wondering WAMC for getting into clinical and counseling Phd programs.

UG GPA-3.2
Psych GPA 3.3
Last two years UG GPA- 3.6
M.A in Rehab CNSL w/ concentration in substance abuse and psychiatric disabilities- 3.7/4.0 (i took classes at two schools)
State licensure - LGPC
3 Poster presentations (2 at national conferences, 1 local)
1 discussion based presentation at national conference
4 years of research experience ( undergrad RA, senior thesis, 2.5 years as an RA at a well known hospital doing medical related research) currently an clinical research assistant in a clinical neurobehavioral lab focusing on alcohol related research in addition to doing different assessments working under psychiatrists and psychologists. Will be here for a 1.5 years by the time I apply.
TA experience for a couple Introductory to Psychology courses
VA clinical experience
University counseling center experience
Previous experience as a Manager at a non profit providing services to individuals with disabilities
Certified Phlebotomy Technician ( I had to draw participants blood for some studies)

Unfortunately, no publications even though I think I am going to edit my thesis and send it in and see what happens.And i took the GRE twice (1st :143,144) 2nd :146/141). Im not sure if i should take it one last time and start preparing early. I can admit that I could have studied harder Please advise.

Last edited:
Hello I am new to the forum I am wondering WAMC for getting into clinical and counseling Phd programs.

Unfortunately, no publications even though I think I am going to edit my thesis and send it in and see what happens.And i took the GRE twice (1st :143,144) 2nd :146/141). Im not sure if i should take it one last time and start preparing early. I can admit that I could have studied harder but both times I took it I was in school. Please advise.

What are your career goals?

Your grades and GRE scores are on the low end, and you will likely have trouble getting full consideration at some of the more competitive schools. I think it will come down to factors like fit, the strength of your recommendations, and how well you can articulate the case that a Ph.D. is a necessary and logical next step in your career development. If you are invited to interview, you'll need to know your research inside and out and be able to speak knowledgeably about the projects you've worked on and your own research interests.

Most of us were in school and/or working while preparing for the GRE. It's just something you have to make time for.

What are your career goals?

Your grades and GRE scores are on the low end, and you will likely have trouble getting full consideration at some of the more competitive schools. I think it will come down to factors like fit, the strength of your recommendations, and how well you can articulate the case that a Ph.D. is a necessary and logical next step in your career development. If you are invited to interview, you'll need to know your research inside and out and be able to speak knowledgeably about the projects you've worked on and your own research interests.

Most of us were in school and/or working while preparing for the GRE. It's just something you have to make time for.

I want to be a research focused professor in addition to being a clinician. I know that I want to do assessments independently as well and that is not possible as a masters level clinician without a psychologist. As far a research i am interested in focusing substance abuse/use prevention with in ethnic minorities and in a college/university setting. It would be great to end up doing studies funded by NIAAA, NIDAA and NIH.

My PI's definitely said they would provide letters of recommendation. I dont think that would be a problem. If i could get my GRE scores up then maybe get past some cut offs. Not sure if my UG GPA would factor more.

I want to be a research focused professor in addition to being a clinician. I know that I want to do assessments independently as well and that is not possible as a masters level clinician without a psychologist. As far a research i am interested in focusing substance abuse/use prevention with in ethnic minorities and in a college/university setting. It would be great to end up doing studies funded by NIAAA, NIDAA and NIH.

My PI's definitely said they would provide letters of recommendation. I dont think that would be a problem. If i could get my GRE scores up then maybe get past some cut offs. Not sure if my UG GPA would factor more.

Some advice. Focus predominantly on one of those two goals in your statement and on interviews. Research or practice. I think the research focus would sell better, that is, if you are committed to it. You would need to be very conversant with the relevant theories, methods, intervention strategies, etc. given the amount of time you've been in the field. You also need to be able to tell a compelling story about why you initially pursued clinical training and then developed a goal of becoming an academic. I think it's fine to talk about your assessment interests as well, but you need to offer a stronger rationale than "I can't do it with a master's." Ideally, your clinical interests would be at least somewhat related to your research interests.

Some advice. Focus predominantly on one of those two goals in your statement and on interviews. Research or practice. I think the research focus would sell better, that is, if you are committed to it. You would need to be very conversant with the relevant theories, methods, intervention strategies, etc. given the amount of time you've been in the field. You also need to be able to tell a compelling story about why you initially pursued clinical training and then developed a goal of becoming an academic. I think it's fine to talk about your assessment interests as well, but you need to offer a stronger rationale than "I can't do it with a master's." Ideally, your clinical interests would be at least somewhat related to your research interests.

Okay great. Thanks MamaPhD. I'm leaning towards the research aspect as well. Assessments will go hand and hand when I do research anyway IMO. Are there any other things I should focus on? What schools so you think I would be able to be competitive in?

Hey all, would love some input with this. I'm applying for mainly Clinical PhD programs but with a few masters as well in case I don't make it this time around. WAMC?

UGPA: 3.98
GRE: V-161, Q-158, Psych GRE 740
Strong letters of rec, have worked on 3 or 4 research projects as well as a senior thesis (none of which were published, primarily just for experience. My school is pretty small and doesn't have a ton of money and doesn't publish much) 3 semesters of psychology club leadership, a bunch of volunteer hours in clinical settings, and over 300 hours shadowing in a clinical setting. My primary focus is on personality disorders, particularly narcissism and borderline and the schools I'm applying to have faculty whose research is in that area.

I'm worried I don't have enough research experience, my school is not particularly great for research and there are no TA positions.

Hey all, would love some input with this. I'm applying for mainly Clinical PhD programs but with a few masters as well in case I don't make it this time around. WAMC?

UGPA: 3.98
GRE: V-161, Q-158, Psych GRE 740
Strong letters of rec, have worked on 3 or 4 research projects as well as a senior thesis (none of which were published, primarily just for experience. My school is pretty small and doesn't have a ton of money and doesn't publish much) 3 semesters of psychology club leadership, a bunch of volunteer hours in clinical settings, and over 300 hours shadowing in a clinical setting. My primary focus is on personality disorders, particularly narcissism and borderline and the schools I'm applying to have faculty whose research is in that area.

I'm worried I don't have enough research experience, my school is not particularly great for research and there are no TA positions.
Hi xv,

Your "numbers" are good -- solid GPA and GREs. Your quant is a teeny bit low for some programs (I usually advise people to aim for 75th %ile), but likely won't be a dealbreaker at most places and probably isn't worth retaking. I'd compare your stats to recent acceptance stats for the programs that interest you most.

Are you still in undergrad? What kind of programs are you interested in?

I would not advise applying to masters programs. You have an excellent GPA. If you do not get in, you are better off securing a ~2-year full-time research assistant or coordinator position.

Hi xv,

Your "numbers" are good -- solid GPA and GREs. Your quant is a teeny bit low for some programs (I usually advise people to aim for 75th %ile), but likely won't be a dealbreaker at most places and probably isn't worth retaking. I'd compare your stats to recent acceptance stats for the programs that interest you most.

Are you still in undergrad? What kind of programs are you interested in?

I would not advise applying to masters programs. You have an excellent GPA. If you do not get in, you are better off securing a ~2-year full-time research assistant or coordinator position.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you looking at my stuff! I'm still in undergrad, and my only real general goal is to apply to and get into a Clinical Psych PhD program that I can do research at and receive clinical training. Ultimately hoping to do both academia and private practice. Current programs are UMass Amherset, U Toledo, U Kentucky, U Georgia (PhD), U Texas Austin, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and maybe U Wisconsin Madison. Right now I'm just trying to get a few more programs in there but having some difficulty with the search.

Thanks so much, I appreciate you looking at my stuff! I'm still in undergrad, and my only real general goal is to apply to and get into a Clinical Psych PhD program that I can do research at and receive clinical training. Ultimately hoping to do both academia and private practice. Current programs are UMass Amherset, U Toledo, U Kentucky, U Georgia (PhD), U Texas Austin, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and maybe U Wisconsin Madison. Right now I'm just trying to get a few more programs in there but having some difficulty with the search.
If you tell us your research
Clinical and TA experience really don't matter much, so I'd de-emphasize those at this point and try to get more research experience. That way, if you don't get in this time, you have a little more experience going into the next round. Your chances likely depend on what you did as part of your thesis (empirical vs. lit review) and what your involvement was like as part of those 3-4 research projects you mentioned (data entry vs. statistical analyses vs. developing your own idea, etc.)

I'm more familiar with BPD than NPD research. Other schools that come to mind are Ohio State, Penn State, and University of Utah.

Wondering what my chances are for clinical psych ph.d. programs:

UGPA(duke): 3.6
psych GPA: 3.9
GRE verbal: 168
GRE quant: 158

1 publication
2 poster presentations

Undergrad RA in cognitive psychology (aging, dementia, neuroimaging)
Undergrad RA/thesis project in duke psychiatry clinic (mindfulness based cognitive therapy, anxiety, depression)
Post bacc RA/lab manager in duke center for cognitive neuro. (aging, decision making, neuroimaging)

1 amazing recommendation letter, 1 very good, and 1 good but a little generic.

applying to programs with neuropsych concentrations or practicum placements.

Wondering what my chances are for clinical psych ph.d. programs:

UGPA(duke): 3.6
psych GPA: 3.9
GRE verbal: 168
GRE quant: 158

1 publication
2 poster presentations

Undergrad RA in cognitive psychology (aging, dementia, neuroimaging)
Undergrad RA/thesis project in duke psychiatry clinic (mindfulness based cognitive therapy, anxiety, depression)
Post bacc RA/lab manager in duke center for cognitive neuro. (aging, decision making, neuroimaging)

1 amazing recommendation letter, 1 very good, and 1 good but a little generic.

applying to programs with neuropsych concentrations or practicum placements.
I'd change that last recommendation. "Good, but a little generic" isn't what you want or need. You want your recommendations to be glowing, because that's what your competition will have.

Looking for some advice from the forum regarding my chances of getting into PhD Clinical Psychology programs.
Research interests: eye-witness testimony, difference between brainwashing and teaching.
Applying to programs in NY, NJ, PA.

My info:
Undergraduate - BA in Psychology with a cumulative GPA at UMBC of 3.53
Graduate School - MSW from Adelphi University with a GPA of 3.8
Was an RA in college for 6 months researching smoking cessation.
Haven’t taken GRE yet but practice tests is 155 for both verbal and quantitative.
Since college I’ve been working in a mental Health clinic for 1 year and I spent 1 and a half yearsworking with families of domestic violence

Thanks!

Looking for some advice from the forum regarding my chances of getting into PhD Clinical Psychology programs.
Research interests: eye-witness testimony, difference between brainwashing and teaching.
Applying to programs in NY, NJ, PA.

My info:
Undergraduate - BA in Psychology with a cumulative GPA at UMBC of 3.53
Graduate School - MSW from Adelphi University with a GPA of 3.8
Was an RA in college for 6 months researching smoking cessation.
Haven’t taken GRE yet but practice tests is 155 for both verbal and quantitative.
Since college I’ve been working in a mental Health clinic for 1 year and I spent 1 and a half yearsworking with families of domestic violence

Thanks!
Sorry, but I'm not understanding how your research interests relate to clinical psychology.

What interests you about eye-witness testimony and the "difference between brainwashing and teaching (whatever that is)" that is related to psychopathology and mental health?

Get ready for significant pushback from an IRB on any project involving "brainwashing." But yeah, that topic is probably better suited in a an experimental psychology or social psychology program, as in the psychology of persuasion. Although, if you're interested in brainwashing as a research topic, you could always join a lab researching religiosity.

Hello,

I need some insight and honest advice about my chances of getting into Clinica Psyc PhD and PSYD programs for Fall 2018. My education info and experience is below. Thanks in advance everybody!

Citizenship: US dual citizen
Undergrad BA (McGill Uni): 3.38
MA in Developmental Psyc (Koc University, Turkey): 3.90 (with full merit-based scholarship)

3 years paid graduate research assistant at Koc University in Turkey (including 1 year as Lab Manager in the Language and Cognition Lab at Koc).
1 summer unpaid research assistant at Stanford Psychophysiology Lab at Stanford University.

1 college psychology textbook translation from English to Turkish (one of the primary translators). Textbook published.
2 international poster presentations
1 national poster presentation
1 article submitted

3 recommendations from my professors at Koc Uni who are my supervisors at the lab. 1 recommendation letter from a McGill Uni prof I conducted an independent study with in undergrad (this one will write a fantastic letter).

Schools I will apply to: UC Berkeley, USC, UCLA, palo alto university PhD, palo alto/stanford PSYD, St Johns University, Queens College, Rutgers PSYD, George Washington PSYD, Boston University, American University, Hofstra Unicersity