*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured I would try to get some input from you guys to see if I have a chance for pharmacy school this time around... I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

My science GPA is only a 3.05, which I recognize is very low. However, I have made upward trends, and even earned an A for Organic last semester.

I just finished the second round of the PCAT earlier today and scored a 91 composite. (I got a 70 the first time.)
My subscores: Composite-91, Bio-99, Chem-81, Quant-85, Verbal-68, RC-54 :(

I have never worked in a pharmacy or healthcare environment, which I know is going to hurt.I do have very good letters of reference which include one from a pharmacist and a doctor, both who I know personally. I feel that my essays are fairly strong and, if nothing else, will provide and interesting read.

Schools I have applied to: LECOM: Bradenton, UF, and FAMU.
I'm at a 2-year college in an area that does not offer classes such as Microbio or Biochem, so my options are pretty limited.

So, here is the million-dollar question: What are my chances?????

Members don't see this ad.

sorry but University of Austin made me lol. I think you mean University of Texas at Austin. The interviewers will be pissed if you don't know the name of the school. ;P

I have never worked in a pharmacy or healthcare environment, which I know is going to hurt.I do have very good letters of reference which include one from a pharmacist and a doctor, both who I know personally.QUOTE]

Youve never worked with these two health professionals yet you know them personally? They would be considered friends right? Friends can't write LORs. Check with your schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never worked in a pharmacy or healthcare environment, which I know is going to hurt.I do have very good letters of reference which include one from a pharmacist and a doctor, both who I know personally.QUOTE]

Youve never worked with these two health professionals yet you know them personally? They would be considered friends right? Friends can't write LORs. Check with your schools
Not exactly... The pharmacist teaches math classes here and there at my college while the doctor teaches anatomy/physiology lab. I have been a student in several classes taught by each of them, however, I do not know them from a healthcare setting.

Hi everyone,

I feel like my stats are somewhat borderline, so I would really appreciate any input/advice anyone has to give. Thanks in advance!

I am wondering if it's worth applying to Creighton's distance program at this point, or if I should retake the PCAT and apply the next application cycle?

I just took the January PCAT: I only had time to study for a week and mainly studied Chem, which was clear in my scores:
Composite 72% : /
Chem 91%
Everything else was pretty average and I know I can score higher the next time around with better time management and with some more bio courses under my belt.

GPA: 3.4

LOR: One from my Organic Chem professor and one from my boss (Veterinarian). Do you think more LORS are needed?

EC's: I have tried to Volunteer at local hospitals and am having a hard time finding anything. All I have is creating a horse back riding program for kids at the barn I train at. Worth mentioning?

Experience: I am a certified and licensed pharmacy technician and have worked in a veterinary pharmacy for the past 16 years.

I have a strong personal statement and I feel that I have great interview skills. Hopefully I've listed everything important. Should I apply now, or wait? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I feel like my stats are somewhat borderline, so I would really appreciate any input/advice anyone has to give. Thanks in advance!

I am wondering if it's worth applying to Creighton's distance program at this point, or if I should retake the PCAT and apply the next application cycle?

I just took the January PCAT: I only had time to study for a week and mainly studied Chem, which was clear in my scores:
Composite 72% : /
Chem 91%
Everything else was pretty average and I know I can score higher the next time around with better time management and with some more bio courses under my belt.

GPA: 3.4

LOR: One from my Organic Chem professor and one from my boss (Veterinarian). Do you think more LORS are needed?

EC's: I have tried to Volunteer at local hospitals and am having a hard time finding anything. All I have is creating a horse back riding program for kids at the barn I train at. Worth mentioning?

Experience: I am a certified and licensed pharmacy technician and have worked in a veterinary pharmacy for the past 16 years.

I have a strong personal statement and I feel that I have great interview skills. Hopefully I've listed everything important. Should I apply now, or wait? Thank you!

Apply now, you will be accepted somewhere.

a. University of Colorado (Early Decision, applying next cycle)

b. Overall GPA: 3.0 (This is the part of my app that I'm most concerned about. My first 70 credits from a long time ago were around a 2.0 GPA). I also have a Psychology B.A.

c. Science/Math GPA: 4.0 (...so far. I haven't taken chemistry and a few other pre-reqs)

d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.8

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
VA 94%
BIO 89%
RC 97%
QA 91%
CHEM 68%

COMP 94%

f. Pharmacy experience obtained.
President & founder of my school's pre-pharmacy club.
CPhT Walgreens: 6 months
CPhT Volunteer VA Hospital: 50+ Hours
CPhT Volunteer Non-Profit Clinic: 30 Hours
Shadowing: Nuclear Pharmacist, Clinical Pharmacist

g. Date of application submission: Applying NEXT cycle, I'll submit it in June 2013 if possible.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3
1 - Pharmacist at work.
2 - Psychopharmacology teacher I TA'd for and did research with.
3 - Biology 1 professor whose daughter is a P3 at the school I'm applying to.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
-Volunteered in a hospital E.R.: 50 Hours
-8+ years experience in customer service based jobs

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Ok, but I need to work on this.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Average.

I am (was) accepted into the EAP program that LECOM is affiliated with at my current college and would be transferring to LECOM this fall. They accepted me over other people based on my interview without looking at my grades. However, i goofed off in all of my HIGH SCHOOL college classes i took. getting Cs and Bs ( a whole semester worth of classes). And i didnt try hard enough for my first semester only getting 3.07. Second semester i got a 3.86 and last semester i got a 3.68. with this program you need a 3.4 overall GPA a 3.4 science GPA and a 3.4 Math GPA. i meet the requirements for the science GPA and the math GPA but i have a 3.35 overall. missing my mark by .05 of a GPA. and i was told that if i didnt meet all of the requirements by the end of last semester that they would repeal my EAP. Considering the effort that was put in over the last two semesters what do you think they will do? As far as allowing it because of the substantial increase in my GPA over the two semesters or actually repeal my EAP. i have yet to hear from them on their decision, and haven't been able to sleep since i found out and figured to ask somebody that may have an idea of what they will say. Its sad that they don't wait until the end of my final semester because i would certainly have the 3.4.

Second question is the core WAMC to LECOM if the EAP is repealed.

a. Schools you are applying to: LECOM Erie campus.
b. Overall GPA- 3.35 at the moment.
c. Math/Science GPA - Math GPA- 3.53 Science GPA- 3.4
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 87%-90% so B+ or A- or A depending on school.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - didn't need to take it for the EAP but if repealed, plan to take ASAP
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Shadowed a family friend that was a Pharmacist.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) nov and dec 2012

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs. 2 but i can get more
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience. 200+ hrs of work cited on paper : 3 or 4 yrs as a Manager at Subway
j. Self-perception of interview skills - above average
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - somewhat above average
Please let me know what you think. Thank you

Last edited:
a. University of Colorado (Early Decision, applying next cycle)

b. Overall GPA: 3.0 (This is the part of my app that I'm most concerned about. My first 70 credits from a long time ago were around a 2.0 GPA). I also have a Psychology B.A.

c. Science/Math GPA: 4.0 (...so far. I haven't taken chemistry and a few other pre-reqs)

d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.8

VA 94%
BIO 89%
RC 97%
QA 91%
CHEM 68%

COMP 94%

f. Pharmacy experience obtained.
President & founder of my school's pre-pharmacy club.
CPhT Walgreens: 6 months
CPhT Volunteer VA Hospital: 50+ Hours
CPhT Volunteer Non-Profit Clinic: 30 Hours
Shadowing: Nuclear Pharmacist, Clinical Pharmacist

g. Date of application submission: Applying NEXT cycle, I'll submit it in June 2013 if possible.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3
1 - Pharmacist at work.
2 - Psychopharmacology teacher I TA'd for and did research with.
3 - Biology 1 professor whose daughter is a P3 at the school I'm applying to.

-Volunteered in a hospital E.R.: 50 Hours
-8+ years experience in customer service based jobs

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Ok, but I need to work on this.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Average.

Your stats are similar to mine and I have been accepted to Colorado. You should get an interview.

I'm totally on the same boat as you. All my stats seem good, but where I'm lacking is actual work and volunteering experience.

If anyone would give their thoughts on my chances, it'd be greatly appreciated (specifically for University of Texas)

a) Schools applying: Univ. of Texas

b) Overall GPA: 3.87

c) Math/science GPA: 3.75

d) GPA in last year: 3.87

**Note, I'm currently in my 2nd year (3rd semester) of undergrad, so only the first 2 semesters are included in my GPA calculation - no Ochem, biochem, microbio, etc.

e) Complete PCAT score: Composite 95 (VA - 87, Bio - 77, RC -76, QA - 96, Chem - 98)

f) Pharmacy experience obtained - shadowed pharmacy once

g) Date of application submission: 11/1

h) Number and Source of LOR's - one from general chem professor, the other from my O. Chem professor. I did/am doing well in those classes, but I don't really have a personal relationship with the professors. The LOR's should be decent, I think.

i) Non-pharmacy work, volunteering - community service hours, volunteered for CAPS at local hospital once (a group for Parkinson's patients). I have a part-time job (non-pharmacy related, but definitely uses communication skills, etc.).

j) Interview skills - okay, could be better. I will definitely practice and prepare.

k) Personal Statement - I think it was pretty good.

Others, extracurriculars - I love film and cinema. I took 2 film related courses as electives just for fun, and I joined a film club on campus. I write screenplays/edit films in my occasional spare time and one of my short scripts has been produced (another one on the way!) -- I really hope this sets me apart and 'wows' the admissions people to some extent.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I feel everything is solid except the fact that I haven't worked in a pharmacy or volunteered in a hospital/pharmacy setting.

I think it separates you from all the rest. When I was interviewing with the schools I did they were very interested that I was a founding member of a music group on campus and very impressed that i became president and Vice President of the organization and reached out to the community to encourage middle schoolers and high schools to pursue music in concordance with their college education. In the group interview i was personally singled out because they liked how i pursued both my passions, science and music and asked me questions about how it made me a strong applicant. I was accepted to all three of my top schools. They are looking for diversity. My best friend was in marching band and a music fraternity and has been interviewed an accepted into UF and USF. I think it makes you strong!

Mercer University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Class of 2017! :)

a. Schools you are applying to
UIC University of Illinois at Chicago

I completed three years of my undergraduate degree at UIC, and graduated with a BA in Integrated Marketing Communications. I have taken my pre-reqs for pharmacy school and received all As and one B

b. Overall GPA

UIC Supplemental Pre-Req GPA: 3.91
Overall College Career GPA: 3.01*

*Taken from PharmCAS

c. Math/Science GPA

MATH GPA: 3.06*
SCIENCE GPA:
Organic: 4.0*
Inorganic: 3.5*
Physics: 4.0*
Biology & Other Life Sciene: 3.11*

d. GPA in last one or two school years

GPA: 3.83

This is my weakest point, I believe.
PCAT Composite: 36
-Biology Low
-VA High
-Essay 4/6

f. Pharmacy experience obtained

I worked with CVS for one year, participate with Pre-Pharmacy Club

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

Step 1: July 2012
Step 2 (Suppl.): Dec 15 2012
PharmCAS fully verified Academic Update: Jan 8 2012
Step 3 (Interview): UIC started sending out letters it seems to people with 99 PCAT scores this past week, and denying those who don't meet point system minimum requirements. I have heard nothing yet.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs

3 LOR
-2 Pharmacists I worked with
-1 Chemistry Professor who recommended me for research

I am a volunteer tutor in the sciences through ACS Club
Pre-Pharmacy Club, we volunteer judge at Science Fairs at local middle schools
VP of Membership of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity. Our goal is to recruit individuals to aid in our service projects locally, nationally, and internationally.

j. Self-perception of interview skills

Strong. Have interviewed in the past with this style of questioning

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

I had many people read over it.

Hi everyone. I could use a little validation here, as well. I've spent a lot of time in the last year gaining pharmacy experience and talking directly with admissions assistants at the two pharmacy schools I'm applying, but I missed out on the traditional pre-pharmacy experience, and all the admissions guidance that comes along with it.

a. Applying to: South University (Columbia) and SCCP

b. Overall GPA: 3.78

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.62

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.00
**I earned a BofA in Architecture and a BArch (5th yr professional degree for Architecture); I've spent the last 9 months completing all of my science pre-reqs

e. Composite PCAT score: 93 (writing score still unknown)
**Also, bombed the Chemistry section (I had a horrible sinus infection on the day of my PCAT and my brain just shut down), but made 90+ on all other sections. It's important to say that my PCAT score did not reflect how well I understand and perform with regard to chemistry concepts, and two of my LOR's are from chemistry faculty.

f. Pharmacy experience: Last 10 months working at Free Clinic, 2 retail pharmacies, and a clinical pharmacy

g. Date of application submission: November 2012, though I didn't take PCAT until January 2013 (first and only time)

h. 6 LOR's: 1 Chemistry Department Chair, 1 OChem prof, 1 Hospital Pharmacy Director, 1 Retail Pharmacy Manager, 1 seasoned clinical pharmacist, 1 seasoned retail pharmacist (all pharmacists are SCCP alum, some with connections at South)

i. Non-pharmacy work, etc: I'm a licensed architect, and though I decided that I no longer want to pursue architecture as a career, I'm still involved with the local professional organization and I married an architect...I'm fairly committed. I also volunteer for events run by Columbia Opportunity Resource, Palladium Society, and SC Children's Trust. I also like running, crafting, and long walks on the beach.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've spent the last 10 years becoming a self-aware individual, so I'm comfortable in interview settings. I enjoy meeting new people, finding out how we connect, and bringing a positive attitude to the conversation. I've also worked in a professional setting for the last decade, so I know how to compose myself (i.e. being appropriate without being too stuffy, making others comfortable).

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: My circumstances are unique, so my personal statement addressed the "What on earth brought you here" query. I live by the idea that everything happens for a reason, and I believe that is well-reflected in my personal statement.

Lastly, I did get called back for interviews at both South University and SCCP, even though they have not received my official PCAT scores. My biggest concerns with regard to my eligibility are that I have a horrible Chemistry score on the PCAT and, though I got my applications in fairly early, the PCAT has held up my entire file. I wanted to wait until I took at least once semester of OChem before taking the PCAT, but that left me with only one opportunity to test before final applications were due.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kim

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to:
UW-Madison, Concordia Univeristy- Milwaukee, Drake University, Unversity of Ill.-Chicago
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Haven't taken it yet
Working as a Pharmacy Tech. for 1 month now; plus 4 hours of shadowing a Pharmacist
Will be September 2013
I can get several ranging from a number of pharmacists, professors, and college administrators
I lead a team of vounteers at a local Walk MS walk every year. Ranging from 30-40 team members. I worked as a restaurant host for 2 years
Not perfect, but I would say very good. The Pharmacy Tech. job I recently gained was largely due to my interview skills.
I think it's above average. I explain how I became interested with pharmacy by detailing my exposure to Pharmacy while being prescribed medicine at an early age due to my personal experience with my autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's Hypothyroiditis). I also detail my motivation behind wanting to succeed due to being the first generation of my family to achieve a Bachelor's degree.

Also I'll be receiving my BA in Chemistry before going to pharm school

What do you think?

Last edited:
Just going to note that I myself don't see why anyone interested in going to Pharm. School and in need of pharmacy experience would both shadow/volunteer in a pharmacy setting AND try to become a Tech.

All they want to see is that you know what the field is like and that you're still interested in going to pharm school.

Disclaimers:
*This does not take into account any interest in wanting to gain a different aspect of pharmacy as a tech (retail) than the experience you may have already head (maybe hospital, inpatient, etc).
**Also does not take into account if you are wanting to become a tech. to generate some funds.

When I was applying to schools, some advisers told me that they don't really care much if I have 50 hours or 5000 hours of volunteer experience, so long as I met the experience requirement. Students would ask if a Tech. would have preference over a student with no tech. license or work experience and the answer was flat-out "No". JMO.

Last edited:
Don't know about UIC, but the GPA is more than good enough to get you into the others with an average PCAT score min. (75 comp)

BTW, what's the difference with a B.A. in Chem and a B.S.?

UW-Madison, Concordia Univeristy- Milwaukee, Drake University, Unversity of Ill.-Chicago
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Haven't taken it yet
Working as a Pharmacy Tech. for 1 month now; plus 4 hours of shadowing a Pharmacist
Will be September 2013
I can get several ranging from a number of pharmacists, professors, and college administrators
I lead a team of vounteers at a local Walk MS walk every year. Ranging from 30-40 team members. I worked as a restaurant host for 2 years
Not perfect, but I would say very good. The Pharmacy Tech. job I recently gained was largely due to my interview skills.
I think it's above average. I explain how I became interested with pharmacy by detailing my exposure to Pharmacy while being prescribed medicine at an early age due to my personal experience with my autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's Hypothyroiditis). I also detail my motivation behind wanting to succeed due to being the first generation of my family to achieve a Bachelor's degree.

Also I'll be receiving my BA in Chemistry before going to pharm school

What do you think?

When I was applying to schools, some advisers told me that they don't really care much if I have 50 hours or 5000 hours of volunteer experience, so long as I met the experience requirement. Students would ask if a Tech. would have preference over a student with no tech. license or work experience and the answer was flat-out "No". JMO.

Yep. I've met people at interviews who have no experience IN a pharmacy at all. That's including "shadowing" aka doing nothing. Not even that. It probably helps but it ain't like it's impossible to get interviews without it. Getting the interview is important but doing well at it is more important than your credentials at that point.

UIW, UT, Texas Tech, U of H, Texas A&M Kingsville
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
haven't taken yet
volunteer at a compounding pharmacy once a week (since 2011)
shadowed at a children's hospital
hoping to become a pharm tech this semester
Pharmacist and director of health professions office
restaurant hostess (summers and winter break since 2011)
been on the college dance team for 3 years
an ambassador for the university
pre-pharm organization
habitat for humanity
I think I have pretty good interview skills

I will receive my degree in Bio before going to pharm school

I'm jwing were you born in 92 and if you were are you a senior in college?

Yep. I've met people at interviews who have no experience IN a pharmacy at all. That's including "shadowing" aka doing nothing. Not even that. It probably helps but it ain't like it's impossible to get interviews without it. Getting the interview is important but doing well at it is more important than your credentials at that point.

Well, some of the schools I applied to have a minimum set of hours for experience as a requirement (i.e. 50 hours), but that beyond that requirement, they don't care. It's about seeing you know what the field is like and that you aren't just jumping into their program based on assumptions.

Then again, maybe there are some schools who care if you spent years as a tech? Anyone?

Don't know about UIC, but the GPA is more than good enough to get you into the others with an average PCAT score min. (75 comp)

BTW, what's the difference with a B.A. in Chem and a B.S.?

Oops, that was a typo, I meant BS. Thanks for the input!

Hi everyone. I could use a little validation here, as well. I've spent a lot of time in the last year gaining pharmacy experience and talking directly with admissions assistants at the two pharmacy schools I'm applying, but I missed out on the traditional pre-pharmacy experience, and all the admissions guidance that comes along with it.

a. Applying to: South University (Columbia) and SCCP

b. Overall GPA: 3.78

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.62

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.00
**I earned a BofA in Architecture and a BArch (5th yr professional degree for Architecture); I've spent the last 9 months completing all of my science pre-reqs

e. Composite PCAT score: 93 (writing score still unknown)
**Also, bombed the Chemistry section (I had a horrible sinus infection on the day of my PCAT and my brain just shut down), but made 90+ on all other sections. It's important to say that my PCAT score did not reflect how well I understand and perform with regard to chemistry concepts, and two of my LOR's are from chemistry faculty.

f. Pharmacy experience: Last 10 months working at Free Clinic, 2 retail pharmacies, and a clinical pharmacy

g. Date of application submission: November 2012, though I didn't take PCAT until January 2013 (first and only time)

h. 6 LOR's: 1 Chemistry Department Chair, 1 OChem prof, 1 Hospital Pharmacy Director, 1 Retail Pharmacy Manager, 1 seasoned clinical pharmacist, 1 seasoned retail pharmacist (all pharmacists are SCCP alum, some with connections at South)

i. Non-pharmacy work, etc: I'm a licensed architect, and though I decided that I no longer want to pursue architecture as a career, I'm still involved with the local professional organization and I married an architect...I'm fairly committed. I also volunteer for events run by Columbia Opportunity Resource, Palladium Society, and SC Children's Trust. I also like running, crafting, and long walks on the beach.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I've spent the last 10 years becoming a self-aware individual, so I'm comfortable in interview settings. I enjoy meeting new people, finding out how we connect, and bringing a positive attitude to the conversation. I've also worked in a professional setting for the last decade, so I know how to compose myself (i.e. being appropriate without being too stuffy, making others comfortable).

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: My circumstances are unique, so my personal statement addressed the "What on earth brought you here" query. I live by the idea that everything happens for a reason, and I believe that is well-reflected in my personal statement.

Lastly, I did get called back for interviews at both South University and SCCP, even though they have not received my official PCAT scores. My biggest concerns with regard to my eligibility are that I have a horrible Chemistry score on the PCAT and, though I got my applications in fairly early, the PCAT has held up my entire file. I wanted to wait until I took at least once semester of OChem before taking the PCAT, but that left me with only one opportunity to test before final applications were due.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kim

You will get accepted. You are a seasoned veteran and most pharmacy will prefer you over the younger ones.

UIC University of Illinois at Chicago

I completed three years of my undergraduate degree at UIC, and graduated with a BA in Integrated Marketing Communications. I have taken my pre-reqs for pharmacy school and received all As and one B

b. Overall GPA

UIC Supplemental Pre-Req GPA: 3.91
Overall College Career GPA: 3.01*

*Taken from PharmCAS

c. Math/Science GPA

MATH GPA: 3.06*
SCIENCE GPA:
Organic: 4.0*
Inorganic: 3.5*
Physics: 4.0*
Biology & Other Life Sciene: 3.11*

GPA: 3.83

This is my weakest point, I believe.
PCAT Composite: 36
-Biology Low
-VA High
-Essay 4/6

I worked with CVS for one year, participate with Pre-Pharmacy Club

Step 1: July 2012
Step 2 (Suppl.): Dec 15 2012
PharmCAS fully verified Academic Update: Jan 8 2012
Step 3 (Interview): UIC started sending out letters it seems to people with 99 PCAT scores this past week, and denying those who don't meet point system minimum requirements. I have heard nothing yet.

3 LOR
-2 Pharmacists I worked with
-1 Chemistry Professor who recommended me for research

I am a volunteer tutor in the sciences through ACS Club
Pre-Pharmacy Club, we volunteer judge at Science Fairs at local middle schools
VP of Membership of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity. Our goal is to recruit individuals to aid in our service projects locally, nationally, and internationally.

Strong. Have interviewed in the past with this style of questioning

I had many people read over it.

You should at least apply to two other schools in the Chicago area for safety. you PCAT will be the largest hindrance I suggest you to re-take PCAT if you can.

Well, some of the schools I applied to have a minimum set of hours for experience as a requirement (i.e. 50 hours), but that beyond that requirement, they don't care. It's about seeing you know what the field is like and that you aren't just jumping into their program based on assumptions.

Then again, maybe there are some schools who care if you spent years as a tech? Anyone?

I didn't know any schools had a minimum hour requirement, but yeah definitely gotta have experience when applying to those schools. I guess some schools don't really care if you're jumping into their program blind as long as you have some credentials.

Applied only to Creighton's distance pharmD pathway (I do not have the option to relocate at this time)

Overall gpa: 3.34
Science gpa: 3.42
Last half of undergrad gpa: 4.0
PCAT: 99 composite (99 chem, bio, reading; 96 quant, verbal)
BS in biochemistry from Texas A&M in '05
Taught HS chemistry (all levels) for past 7 years
Volunteered in hospital setting shadowing nurses (I thought that might be what I wanted to do) for 40 hours
Spent 2 days shadowing Duke neonatal intensive care nursery lead pharmacist
Interview seemed to go well (interviewed on 1/22)

LORs from biochem professor that I did research under in 2005, A&P professor, coworker at a local school district that is now in dental school, and my current assistant superintendent.

Submitted all applications on 11/20. Interviewed at CU on 1/22.
Opinions??

Applied only to Creighton's distance pharmD pathway (I do not have the option to relocate at this time)

Volunteered in hospital setting shadowing nurses (I thought that might be what I wanted to do) for 40 hours

LORs from biochem professor that I did research under in 2005, A&P professor, coworker at a local school district that is now in dental school, and my current assistant superintendent.

Opinions??

Seems like a great application. I think you're in.

Opinions??

That's a winner if I've ever seen one.

Why are people wasting space on this thread asking about their chances when their PCAT is 90+?? Regardless of your GPA (atleast meeting the minimum standards) or other credentials you could probably get in even if you just plead the 5th to every question during your interview. However if you did get a 90+ and were being serious when you posted on here then I would suggest you seek out a mental health professional and work through these issues before you start pharmacy. school. This is not some type of joke or to make fun of people on this thread, but in reality you need to have a sound ability to rationalize in this profession and in life.

I never said it was the most important, i actually know of a person who took it twice (5th And 16th percentile) and still got in. But I bet it would be hard to find an applicant who met all other standards and had a 90+ PCAT and still got rejected from MORE than one school. Fact is that if your PCAT is that high then you would need major deficits in other areas to not get in, one example would be that you come off in your interview as someone with zero ppl skills or as someone who cannot rationalize. Ppl repeatedly post stats on here like 95th percentile PCAT, 3.7 overall 3.7 science GPA and a bunch of EC stuff... And then ask what there chances...get real, these ppl don't really doubt their chances and even if you said they had no chance then they wouldn't believe you anyways... And if they do then there is some issue that needs addressed...

Why are people wasting space on this thread asking about their chances when their PCAT is 90+?? Regardless of your GPA (atleast meeting the minimum standards) or other credentials you could probably get in even if you just plead the 5th to every question during your interview. However if you did get a 90+ and were being serious when you posted on here then I would suggest you seek out a mental health professional and work through these issues before you start pharmacy. school. This is not some type of joke or to make fun of people on this thread, but in reality you need to have a sound ability to rationalize in this profession and in life.

I got 96th %ile on the PCAT and didn't even get offered an interview from one school, despite meeting the minimum requirements. I have, however, received 5 interview invites from the 6 schools I applied to. The school that didn't invite me doesn't place much weight on the PCAT.

I think it's fair for individuals with a 90+ PCAT to analyze their application as a whole. I knew I was unlikely to get an invite for that program due to my low GPA (<3.0) and relatively little pharmacy experience (1.5 yrs -- low for that school). It's likely that these other applicants have some less-than-stellar parts of their application, and everyone is concerned about how these flaws reflect on them as applicants. I think it's common and healthy to be concerned (to an extent) about your application. At the very least, it shows you care.

I didn't mean to lump everyone with stellar PCAT scores together, I reread my posts and I do see where it came off like that... but if u read through this forum there are a lot of ppl who just seem to be bragging. Which to me seems like the opposite of what this forum is suppose to be for. I was just trying to give a suggestion for how ppl who have all the right stats on paper can improve. You can't improve on a 99 PCAT, or a 4.0, and if you have decent amounts of experience and ECs then a little more isn't going to help either. If this is your situation then the only thing you can improve on is you interview aka your ability to interact with people and not have a breakdown in the middle of the interview. So for these people getting over these mental/emotional barriers is where their efforts should be.

I got 96th %ile on the PCAT and didn't even get offered an interview from one school, despite meeting the minimum requirements. I have, however, received 5 interview invites from the 6 schools I applied to. The school that didn't invite me doesn't place much weight on the PCAT.

I think it's fair for individuals with a 90+ PCAT to analyze their application as a whole. I knew I was unlikely to get an invite for that program due to my low GPA (<3.0) and relatively little pharmacy experience (1.5 yrs -- low for that school). It's likely that these other applicants have some less-than-stellar parts of their application, and everyone is concerned about how these flaws reflect on them as applicants. I think it's common and healthy to be concerned (to an extent) about your application. At the very least, it shows you care.

Your case should be testament to what an awesome PCAT can make up for...

Which school didn't you get interview at?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Which school didn't you get interview at?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I realized I actually applied to 7 schools and received 6 interview invites, but I declined one.

I didn't receive an interview from UT Austin.

The schools I did receive interviews from were the following:

Texas Tech
Univ. of Maryland
Univ. of Georgia
Univ. of the Incarnate Word
Univ. of Minnesota
Univ. of New England (I declined an interview here)

you'll get an interview at concordia and probably at madison too. I was accepted both places and my GPA is 3.72 with 1 year volunteer pharmacy exprience and 1 day shadowing. I went to UW Madison

*** this was to the person who is applying at madison, concordia, drake, chicago

Last edited:
And that's because UT Austin recruits mostly in state (Texas) kids, they have like <5 out of state kids in their program if you look at demographics. So unless you have something like 99% PCAT and 4.0 GPA you'd be hard pressed to get an interview at UT Austin if you're OOS.

Despite having gone to undergrad in California, I'm originally from Texas. I believe I was treated as an in-state applicant. I think my shortcomings were due to weaknesses in my application as opposed to state residency.

a. Schools you are applying to: Touro CA, Touro NY, MCPHS Boston

b. Overall GPA: 3.24

c. Math/Science GPA: Math = 2.98, Science = 3.00

d. GPA in last one or two school years: Post Bacc = 4.00

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): N/A

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 1.5 years as a pharmacy technician at a retail pharmacy.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): PharmCAS 1/25/2013

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LORs. 1 from my pharmacy manager, 1 from a Neuro-otologist I do clinical research with, 1 from a speech professor I had.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1.5 years as a clinical research assistant at a neuro-otology practice, 1 article pending approval for publication in a medical journal, 1.5 years as a site coordinator for a national clinical research network, 6 months as a volunteer tutor for a non profit organization, captain of intramural basketball team, various involvement in on campus organizations (pre-pharmacy, american chemical society, ethnic clubs)

j. Self-perception of interview skills: good.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: decent.

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: Touro CA, Touro NY, MCPHS Boston

You will have a shot at the Touros. I don't think it is worth your energy to apply to Boston, honestly. Competition is very steep as it is primarily a 0-6 school and there are ~20 slots to fill with transfers. You could apply to one of the other MCPHS campuses and have a better shot...they will only let you apply to 1. Why just these 3? Your work experiences and other 'extras' are good...I think you should look into adding a few more schools to your list to give yourself options.

Edit--just read that you already submitted PharmCAS...but I would still look for other schools to add that still have open deadline and no PCAT requirement (it doesn't seem that you took the PCAT?)...Cal Northstate extended their deadline to March..you have to stay tuned for whether or not they get accreditation this year but it is in a nicer area than Touro and worthwhile as an option.. That's the only one I know of that you can add at this stage.

Last edited:
Well these are schools that I do want to attend, I also realized quickly that financially, I couldn't apply to 10 schools with my budget. So I applied to schools that I'd like to attend and would not be completely out of the running to get accepted. Thanks for all your responses. I'm just waiting for a response from the schools now. The waiting game sucks.

UF, USF, NOVA (in Ft. Lauderdale), Mercer, UGA, and UNC

b. Overall GPA: 3.16

c. Math/Science GPA: Math = 3.43, Science = 3.08

d. GPA in last one or two school years: GPA in the last year is 3.22

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 70% --> planning on retaking

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: About 15 hours from volunteering at a hospital pharmacy, shadowed a retail pharmacist and a clinical pharmacist (each one day)

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Hopefully this summer

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 LOR from my analytical chem professor who I also did research with, 1 from my Organic Lab Professor who used to teach at a pharmacy school, and 1 or 2 from pharmacists

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: A lot of hours volunteering for a hospice house, PeaceJam (organization that connects kids with service projects and Nobel peace prize laureates), was an English tutor for a Korean graduate student, lots of volunteer hours from a retirement home where I also organized and performed in two piano recitals, various service events through pre-med organization and pre-pharmacy organization, and shadowed a Geriatrician for several weeks. I also hold a leadership position with the pre-pharmacy club and will probably get a higher position next year.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Good

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Haven't started yet

I'm mostly worried about my GPA, but I'm taking harder upper division classes right now (such as Biochemistry). I also don't know how to get more Pharmacy experiences because they're hard to obtain where I live.

Thank you!

You will get in for sure. :thumbup:

OK folks, have your way with it!

a. Applying to: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (only selecting TC campus)
b. Overall GPA: 3.40
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.21
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.50
e. PCAT: 93% Composite, 99 Bio, 87 Chem, 60 QA :scared:
f. Experience: 5 years retail pharmacy, 8 years inpatient hospital pharmacy. I'd guess around 20,000 hours total of on the job experience.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): PharmCAS was completed on 1/08/13 but my PCAT scores didn't come in until 2/14/13 (took in Jan). My supplemental application was submitted before my PCAT scores came in and they considered my application compete on 2/20/13. Invited to interview March 8th.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LoR. 1 Pharmacist (Inpatient Supervisor at work), 1 Tech Manager (direct supervisor from work), and 1 Pastor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Student Senator, President of local honor society chapter, founder & president of pre-pharmacy club, Big Brothers Big Sisters involvement, and tutoring math/science
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Good to Excellent
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Excellent. Spent several hours drafting and rewriting it, I've been told that I am a capable writer.

My main concern is that I filed so incredibly late (only 3 interview dates left). Some in the U of M thread are saying there are only ~30 spots left and likely even less for just the Twin Cities campus.

Don't pay attention to what the others are saying. They aren't taking into account the fact that they significantly over-admit. There are 166 spots, but last year they accepted 220 students. You have excellent stats. Don't worry just yet!

Don't pay attention to what the others are saying. They aren't taking into account the fact that they significantly over-admit. There are 166 spots, but last year they accepted 220 students. You have excellent stats. Don't worry just yet!

Thanks for the alternative view, I suppose I didn't consider that at all. So "accepted" must obviously include wait-listed? Wait-listed for me will be tantamount to not getting accepted. I won't be able to wait until the last minute to accept an invite. I wonder how many spots have been filled as of right now. Either way that gives me a bit more hope, thanks =).

Thanks for the alternative view, I suppose I didn't consider that at all. So "accepted" must obviously include wait-listed? Wait-listed for me will be tantamount to not getting accepted. I won't be able to wait until the last minute to accept an invite. I wonder how many spots have been filled as of right now. Either way that gives me a bit more hope, thanks =).

That is correct. "Accepted" will include those who get acceptances from the waitlist, but it's possible that they may overadmit even before going to their waitlist because they know that a large portion opts to go somewhere else. This is speculation though. Also keep in mind that from the weekly stats they give there is still at least a 50% acceptance rate post-interview. Really, don't stress just yet. Focus on prepping for the interview first!

Hello! Just hoping for some feedback! Thank you!

a. Applying to: UF, FAMU, LECOM: Bradenton
b. Overall GPA: 3.3
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.3
e. PCAT: 91 Composite
f. Experience: None
g. Date of application submission: 11-10-2012

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LoR. 1 Pharmacist, 1 Organic Chemistry Professor, 1 Math Professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Well, I was a chef before going back to college. lol. I've volunteered at a cat shelter for 4 years
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Average... working on it
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good